PDA

View Full Version : SI Finals Predictions: Lakers over Cavs

G-Funk
04-17-2009, 02:47 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SI.com:

Ian Thomsen: Lakers over Cavs. Given the injuries to San Antonioís Manu Ginobili and Bostonís Garnett, it looks as if L.A. and Cleveland are set up for a Finals between the leagueís top two stars. Maybe Garnett can make it back to push the Celtics past Cleveland, but how often do you hear of a happy ending after an extended and murky injury like his? Iím not picking the Lakers in a blowout ó the Cavs definitely could beat them ó but L.A. has the advantage based on Bynumís return and the promise of three playoff series for him to be fully integrated before the Finals.

Jack McCallum: Lakers over Cavs. L.A. will toy with the West, going through Utah, Houston and San Antonio without much trouble. The Cavs, meanwhile, will have a slightly more difficult path. I can see the old-pro Pistons getting a game or two in the first series, and Wade leading the Heat to at least two wins in the second round, before the Cavs beat Orlando (assuming Garnett is out) in six in the Eastern finals. In the Finals, I see the Lakers over the Cavs in six. L.A. has the avenge-last-season motivation, the defense to stop LeBron in spots, the coaching experience and a guy named Kobe.

Chris Mannix: Lakers over Cavs. The return of Bynum and news that the Celtics could be without Garnett effectively locks in the matchup many have been expecting for months. Home-court advantage definitely helps the Cavs ó if you havenít been to Quicken Loans Arena recently, think Dukeís Cameron Indoor Stadium ó but I donít see 18,000-plus rabid fans derailing the Lakers this time around. The Lakersí only weakness is their vulnerability against teams that punch them in the mouth and bully them, but a healthy Boston was the only club really capable of doing that.

Steve Aschburner: Lakers over Cavs. The Lakers are more battle-tested as a unit and have a more wily big-stage coach. Then thereís this: Kobe will take very, very personally his duel for supremacy with LeBron, and heíll have an easier time training his laser sight on one guy rather than, last year, Bostonís three.

Scott Howard-Cooper: Lakers over Cavs. The path through the East figures to be a lot more interesting than what should be a smooth ride for L.A. in a conference with the wounded Spurs, the unproven Nuggets and Trail Blazers, the fast-fading Jazz and the undependable Rockets, Hornets and Mavericks. The Lakers are not only the best team, but they also wonít have to face an opponent like the Magic (my preseason pick to win the East) or Celtics (if Garnett returns and is effective) before even reaching the Finals.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ble/index.html

GoatMilk
04-17-2009, 02:49 AM
SI knows

holocaust227
04-17-2009, 03:14 AM
Nobody Knows.

madiaz3
04-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Good evaluations.
For the future of this thread, let's have less Laker fan "YEEEAH THEY ARE SO RIGHT" and just as little Cavs fans saying "WTF THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING GET REAL"
but rather post on what you agree or don't agree about it.

In this case, I would say that yeah, Bynum's integration will be key, and he'll be able to test his ability in the playoffs against either Greg Oden, Yao, Duncan, or Nene. The part about Boston punching them in the mouth and bullying was also important to note.

I'm really liking the addition of Shannon Brown and the extra playing time he's getting, he'll make LA's only difficult match up in the West a bit easier with Deron in Utah because
he's younger, stronger, and faster than Fisher and can hope to slow Deron down a little.

ink
04-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow. Sports Illustrated really went out on a limb with those predictions. lol. Enjoy the playoffs everyone!

rocket man_09
04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
evryone knows lakers would take the caves on...to bad the rockets are gunna beat the lakers in the 2cd round

still1ballin
04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
SI knows

:nod:

IBleedPurple
04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Wow. Sports Illustrated really went out on a limb with those predictions. lol. Enjoy the playoffs everyone!

My thoughts exactly. Way to be bold!

That's probably what is gonna happen. But being bold would be saying that Denver and Orlando make it. I can go with that.

cmstophe
04-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Didn't they predict Lakers over Pistons a few years back?

SI predictions are some of the worst I ever see, but then again, most people are going to take the Lakers and for good reason. They are the most talented team in the league, but that guarantees you pretty much nadda. We'll see what happens if it even comes down to these two teams, but I expect everyone to pick the Lakers.