PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wieters

jkiddvc20
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
I am A mets fan not knowing much about the Orioles, I just have a quick question for you O's Fans. I have Matt Wieters on fantasy because from what I hear he is a stud, so my question to you is does anyone have any idea when he will get the call up to the bigs? Thanks and keep beating those Yanks!

Mane
04-15-2009, 07:53 PM
I've heard after 2 weeks, and i've also heard after 8 weeks.

I'm really not sure which one is true :(

Driven
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
mid-May to early-June is the best bet.

00sxy
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
^
Really? I thought they were just maxing out his eligibility. That blows, I guess I'll drop him and pick him up later.

Driven
04-15-2009, 09:11 PM
They are maxing out his eligibility but I doubt they'll bring him up immediately. He has to be in the minors for 8 weeks before that eligibility is maxed.

bigity b
04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
i really wish all these non o's fans that come to this forum to ask about Weiters would read the 5 other threads already started by non o's fans asking about weiters...

EricU812
04-16-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't...we're finally getting some pub. I'll take all we can get.

Pinstripe pride
04-16-2009, 11:19 AM
may 15th. Thats when his abritration clock gets pushed back a year

IndiansFan337
04-16-2009, 06:56 PM

I believe it is actually later than that...But only by a few weeks.

bigity b
04-16-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't...we're finally getting some pub. I'll take all we can get.

good point.

x the game x
04-30-2009, 03:07 AM
i cut him from my fantasy league

YankeePride13
04-30-2009, 08:51 AM
The same exact day Longoria came up last year.

bal_ravens
04-30-2009, 08:54 AM

Sorry to hear that. Lol. Do you have a decent catcher that can hold up all year for you?

bigity b
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM

why did you draft him then? They've been saying since last year they werent going to call him up until may...

VTklunk
04-30-2009, 01:19 PM

I believe it is actually later than that...But only by a few weeks.

I think the original plan was May 15th since last year, but he had an injury earlier this year so that might push it back a little further. O's are really struggling at catcher though right now so maybe he will get moved up anyway.

x the game x
05-01-2009, 08:47 PM
why did you draft him then? They've been saying since last year they werent going to call him up until may...

i got him in the later rounds.but i needed pitching help so i cut him.

i got mauer and mccann

IndiansFan337
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
i got him in the later rounds.but i needed pitching help so i cut him.

i got mauer and mccann

Why in the world would you carry 3 C's? :confused:
Trade them for depth elsewhere.

I drafted Wieters in my keeper league in the 10th or 12th round. I also nabbed David Price with the following pick. Those were my only two non-ML'ers that I grabbed though. I proceeded not to draft another C because I didn't feel any of them were worth a pick. Immediately after the draft I picked up Jorge Posada & he has been doing pretty well. Very suitable for a few month pickup from waivers.

bigity b
05-03-2009, 12:26 PM
since we're sharing fantasy teasm - i drafted mauer early and weiters late, but I have been saved by Inge (who i drafted as my back-up / utility player / platoon 3B).

x the game x
05-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Why in the world would you carry 3 C's? :confused:
Trade them for depth elsewhere.

I drafted Wieters in my keeper league in the 10th or 12th round. I also nabbed David Price with the following pick. Those were my only two non-ML'ers that I grabbed though. I proceeded not to draft another C because I didn't feel any of them were worth a pick. Immediately after the draft I picked up Jorge Posada & he has been doing pretty well. Very suitable for a few month pickup from waivers.

well mauer was hurt,but i was gonna use him as utility plus i had alot of positions set and figured bulk up at a thin position so i can trade later

x the game x
05-03-2009, 06:40 PM
o and thank god for me being a homer and drafting adam jones

FWBrodie
05-13-2009, 04:53 PM
Anybody have any new information on how long the Orioles are going to prevent their best catcher from helping the team?

ravensrule
05-13-2009, 11:07 PM
he is batting 263 with 1 hr

bigity b
05-14-2009, 10:36 AM
and he was hurt for a few weeks. since before the earliest was going to be june 10th, im now guessing end of june unless he 'clicks' and goes on a tear the next few weeks.

VTklunk
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
He has been doing better over the past 10 games, so it looks like he might be coming out of the injury. But again, don't rush him.

FWBrodie
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM

Greg Zaun is hitting .212 with 1 HR.

Also, Wieters walks and gets on base even if he's not hitting. His .366 OBP blows Zaun's .309 out of the water. I guess I could understand if the O's had a guy holdin down the fort up in the bigs, but Zaun is terrible.

Rylinkus
05-15-2009, 09:12 AM

He's putting those #s up in the minors though. That doesn't translate to .263 in the majors. I think Wieters will be a monster, but if he's not quite ready yet, let him take his time. Don't want to hurt the confidence of the best prospect you've had in a long time over rushing him up a few weeks early.

FWBrodie
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM

Make that .270 with 3 HRs.

sleewizard
05-15-2009, 09:56 PM
now 283 with 4 jacks.

Driven
05-16-2009, 02:27 PM
If Wieters just keeps hitting okay he'll be called up immediately. It doesn't really matter how well he does.

Driven
05-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Greg Zaun is hitting .212 with 1 HR.

Also, Wieters walks and gets on base even if he's not hitting. His .366 OBP blows Zaun's .309 out of the water. I guess I could understand if the O's had a guy holdin down the fort up in the bigs, but Zaun is terrible.
Zaun's numbers don't mean anything. If the Orioles call up Wieters and look at him as a starter because of what Zaun is doing, then they are just flat out dumb

FWBrodie
05-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Zaun's numbers don't mean anything. If the Orioles call up Wieters and look at him as a starter because of what Zaun is doing, then they are just flat out dumb

You're saying that wins and losses mean nothing to the Orioles. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the people of Baltimore. I believe you are very wrong.

Arenas519
05-17-2009, 02:17 PM
i will be shocked as hell if wieters is brought up before early September, wieters had a hamstring injury which delayed the amount of at bats he should have right now. around early september when the rosters expand is when we will see him

terp12354
05-17-2009, 10:38 PM
So let me get this straight...the deadline for getting an extra yr of arbitration with him is May15th.....which was our original plan if he started off hot in AAA. Instead he gets hurt and misses 10 days, so you think that will push him back 3 1/2 months? Can I ask what your logic is behind that? It certainly cant be performance since he's hitting over .350 since he's come back from his 10 day injury so I'm curious what, in your opinion, changed so drastically that his arrival date is pushed back over 3 months?

bigity b
05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
If I were a betting man, I would put my money on the first week of June...

terp12354
05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Exactly what I was thinking bigity b

x the game x
05-18-2009, 04:58 PM
You're saying that wins and losses mean nothing to the Orioles. If that's the case, I feel sorry for the people of Baltimore. I believe you are very wrong.

wins and losses dont matter to me,truthfully id rather have them loose every game then win a bunch and not win it all.it translates to a higher draft pick who will help this team.

also who cares how long weiters is in the minors for,imagine our lineup something like

roberts
weiters
jones
markakis

to me thats worth waiting for

bigity b
05-18-2009, 05:09 PM
(sorry x - your argument makes no sense whatsoever) ALso, weiters has more power than jones and markakis. he'll bat 4th and it will also keep the alternating L-R lineup in place.

1.roberts (switch)
2.jones (R)
3.markakis (L)
4.weiters (R)
5.huff (L)
6.mora/wigginton (R)

IndiansFan337
05-19-2009, 12:35 AM
So let me get this straight...the deadline for getting an extra yr of arbitration with him is May15th.....which was our original plan if he started off hot in AAA. Instead he gets hurt and misses 10 days, so you think that will push him back 3 1/2 months? Can I ask what your logic is behind that? It certainly cant be performance since he's hitting over .350 since he's come back from his 10 day injury so I'm curious what, in your opinion, changed so drastically that his arrival date is pushed back over 3 months?

There is no specific deadline. That is an estimate than many people believe to be fact. It depends on the total of other rookies who are currently on a ML roster & remain their for next season as well.

x the game x
05-19-2009, 05:11 PM
(sorry x - your argument makes no sense whatsoever) ALso, weiters has more power than jones and markakis. he'll bat 4th and it will also keep the alternating L-R lineup in place.

1.roberts (switch)
2.jones (R)
3.markakis (L)
4.weiters (R)
5.huff (L)
6.mora/wigginton (R)

how does my argument make no sense?the more we loose the better our draft pick.so id rather trade a winning season and not win the world series for a higher draft pick.it makes perfect sense.how many straight years have the blue jays had a winning year yet didnt make the playoffs?now im sure they would trade those seasons which are basically useless with a late pick for a loosing season and a higher pick.

also right now weiters projects as a joe mauer with better power,until he hits 30 hr's then markakis would bat cleanup over him

terp12354
05-20-2009, 12:08 AM
"There is no specific deadline. That is an estimate than many people believe to be fact. It depends on the total of other rookies who are currently on a ML roster & remain their for next season as well."

ummm sorry Indians fan that's completely wrong. There is a specific deadline. It varies slightly per player but it is ussually around may 15th and is SPECIFICALLY spelled out in each players contract, from the first pick overall to the last pick.....so yes there is a specific deadline. Sorry buddy

thegreatone08
05-20-2009, 08:17 AM
how does my argument make no sense?the more we loose the better our draft pick.so id rather trade a winning season and not win the world series for a higher draft pick.it makes perfect sense.how many straight years have the blue jays had a winning year yet didnt make the playoffs?now im sure they would trade those seasons which are basically useless with a late pick for a loosing season and a higher pick.

also right now weiters projects as a joe mauer with better power,until he hits 30 hr's then markakis would bat cleanup over him

So you would rather see this team down in the dumps then be competitive? You are a true fan, let me tell ya. How does being in last place every year you don't win the world series attract good free agents? Not every top pick pans out the way they should. Many of the best players in the league right now weren't a top pick, or in some cases a first round pick.

Now to your other statement. Markakis will NEVER hit clean up for us in the future. He is in no way a clean up hitter. He is by far our best hitter and the best hitter always hits 3rd so he gets an at bat in the first inning. I would be suprised to even see Weiters hit clean up. A catcher hitting clean up is risky. I could see him at the 5th spot however.

Rylinkus
05-20-2009, 11:54 AM

Draft picks don't always pan out. PLENTY of first round guys fail miserably. A couple of spots in the draft isn't consolation for being terrible.

Terptilidie3
05-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Bigity, remember that Wieters is a switch hitter. X The Game X, Wieters projects to be more of a Teixeira-type hitter than a Joe Mauer. Projections (as we all know) are just projections though. Jeter was projected to be a 30 homerun guy and unless I'm wrong, I don't think he's ever hit more than 22 or 23 in a season. Wieters, by all indications should be a great player - high average, power to all fields, switch-hitter, run producer, smart, instinctive, patient...all of the attributes of a GREAT hitter (not just a good hitter but GREAT). I don't think it's fair to place restrictions on where he can hit in the lineup before he even takes a meaningful swing in the majors and it's especially not fair based on the bias that because he's a catcher it's "risky". Piazza was a good cleanup hitter in his time. Johnny Bench was pretty good. Pudge even hit out of the 4 spot when he was winning MVP awards. Because he's such a big kid (6 - 5 230) I can actually see Wieters being moved to 1B or possibly LF before he's 30. His arm is good behind the plate and being only 23 he's certainly got room to grow and could one day become a great defensive catcher...BUT... Is his arm and potential defense behind the plate so good that the O's would be willing to risk years off of his career or sacrifice his offensive potential? Would he be willing to do that? I think a move to LF would defnitely pro-long his career but the best move would probably be to stick him at 1B. Everyone in this forum wants a 30 homerun guy. I believe Wieters is that guy right out of the gate. I doubt that Wieters will be pressed into the cleanup role immediately like Longoria was with the 3 spot but by next year we'll probably see him hitting cleanup. I don't think he'll be put there but it wouldn't be a bad idea to break up the two left-handed hitters in Markakis and Huff for late inning match-ups.

Truthfully, Wieters would probably hit third on a lot of teams...but he'd hit third on 0 teams that feature Nick Markakis. The way that Adam Jones and Huff benefit from Markakis being in the 3 spot is almost laughable..more-so Huff than Jones. Huff (who at best) is a 5 hitter on a better ball club, benefits exponentially from hitting behind Markakis. When he was awarded that Silver Slugger, he should have turned and given it to Markakis because that's how much of an influence Markakis is to Huff's production. Teams fear Markakis from hitting the long ball, stretching a single into a double, scoring from first on a gap hit...they fear him because he can change a baseball game in so many ways. They're willing to give Huff the pitches and rather he beat them than Nick. No question Markakis is the 3 hitter for the next 6 years at least.

Rylinkus
05-20-2009, 02:47 PM
As far as moving Wieters, here's my take. He's 23 years old. By the time his knees start affecting him he'll be ready for free agency and you can let him go elsewhere if he wants too much money or has knee issues.

x the game x
05-20-2009, 03:07 PM
So you would rather see this team down in the dumps then be competitive? You are a true fan, let me tell ya. How does being in last place every year you don't win the world series attract good free agents? Not every top pick pans out the way they should. Many of the best players in the league right now weren't a top pick, or in some cases a first round pick.

Now to your other statement. Markakis will NEVER hit clean up for us in the future. He is in no way a clean up hitter. He is by far our best hitter and the best hitter always hits 3rd so he gets an at bat in the first inning. I would be suprised to even see Weiters hit clean up. A catcher hitting clean up is risky. I could see him at the 5th spot however.

why win and not win it all when u can draft better and get better players?ppl wont come here cause of angelos it has nothing to do with whether we win or not.we have a ******** meddling owner who no1 wants to play for.

thegreatone08
05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
why win and not win it all when u can draft better and get better players?ppl wont come here cause of angelos it has nothing to do with whether we win or not.we have a ******** meddling owner who no1 wants to play for.

So you like watching 8 thousand people at the Orioles games? I would much rather see the stadium full. There is no need to get a big time free agent right now. All that would do is win us 5 more games. If you aren't winning then that means your prospects aren't worth a damn.

Just because you get a high draft pick doesn't mean you are getting the next superstar. Go back and look at the past Orioles draft picks in the first round. Then look at the guys that were taken after that pick. We'd have an all star team.

x the game x
05-21-2009, 01:59 AM
So you like watching 8 thousand people at the Orioles games? I would much rather see the stadium full. There is no need to get a big time free agent right now. All that would do is win us 5 more games. If you aren't winning then that means your prospects aren't worth a damn.

Just because you get a high draft pick doesn't mean you are getting the next superstar. Go back and look at the past Orioles draft picks in the first round. Then look at the guys that were taken after that pick. We'd have an all star team.

look at the devil rays they had how many bad years,now they r set for the future and they havent even added price to the rotation yet.u build through the draft and u get better.its the same principle in all of sports,the more u loose the better ur pick so ur team can get better.if u rnt winning the world series yet ur winning then all u did was **** urself for the future.if u rnt winning ur prospects arent worth a damn?see the d-rays they lost and lost and lost some more there prospects developed and they r good now.its a simple process

thegreatone08
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
look at the devil rays they had how many bad years,now they r set for the future and they havent even added price to the rotation yet.u build through the draft and u get better.its the same principle in all of sports,the more u loose the better ur pick so ur team can get better.if u rnt winning the world series yet ur winning then all u did was **** urself for the future.if u rnt winning ur prospects arent worth a damn?see the d-rays they lost and lost and lost some more there prospects developed and they r good now.its a simple process

The Rays have been in the league since 1996. They have had 10 top 10 picks, including 4 number 1 picks, 12 picks overall. 3 of those picks are on the current roster, 1 2nd round pick is on the roster, 1 13th round pick, one of the best pitchers James Shields-a 16th round pick.

In that same time, the Orioles have had 26 first round picks, 9 of those picks were in supplemental round. 7 of the 26 picks were top 10. Two of those picks are currently on our roster. One 2nd round pick, one 3rd round pick, one 5th round, and we drafted last years Cy Young winner, Cliff Lee, in the 20th round. In 2000 we took Beau Hale with our first pick, Chase Utley went the next pick. In 2002, we took Adam Lowen with the 3rd pick, Zack Greinke, Prince Fielder and Cole Hamels went soon after. And lets now forget we picked Billy Rowell with our first round pick in 2006, Tim Lincecum went the pick after that.

Now lets look at other big time players in the majors:
Ryan Howard- 5th round. 140 overall
Albert Pujols- 13th round. 402 overall
CC Sabathia-1st round- 20 overall
Jason Bay- 22nd round- 645 overall
Justin Morneau- 3rd round- 89 overall
Ian Kinsler- 17th round- 496 overall
Michael Young- 5th round- 149 overall

Just because you pick near the top doesn't mean you are getting the next superstar. I don't know how many times I have said that. We have more than twice as many picks then the Rays but have nothing to show for it. Why is that??

MAYBE IT'S TIME TO START WINNING!!!!!

bigity b
05-21-2009, 09:40 AM
i dont think x game gets that the draft isnt as important in bball as the other major sports. Sure it's good for stocking the farm system, but its the farm system itself that will make the player and help the guy reach the next level. Some of the best prospects year after year are passed over in the draft purely because of sign-ability. Now if a team truly wanted to improve, they would draft them and sign them no matter the cost. In mlb draft, it just doesnt work like that.

... and as for the Rays, I would argue it was the handful of trades they made 2 years ago (the one with Min and the other with the Mets especially) where the traded multiple top prospects for young verterans (Kazmir, Shields, etc) that put them in position they were in last year. ...