PDA

View Full Version : Why Orlando isn't a contender

JayW_1023
04-15-2009, 01:21 PM
It's crazy how Orlando has been winning impressively this season and still been just outside the talk of the Lakers, Cavs and Celtics as far as being a true contender.

I think I know why...I believe they really miss a closer. Jameer Nelson was that guy until he went down. Alston has filled in well but he isn't as consistent or reliable down the stretch. Turkoglu is versatile but injured, and Lewis is good but not great.

They really miss someone who can score down the stretch and I noticed that when all the scorers are injured Dwight Howard still doesn't have the goods to just take over offensively like most superstars should.

Not that I have anything against Orlando, I have really underestimated Howards defensive value this season. But I think their postseason run will be a somewhat of a bust.

Let's hope I'm wrong because I really like this team.

Tony_Starks
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
They're not a contender because basically they are a perimeter team. D Howard is a beast but he's not the focal point of the offense or a go to guy in the clutch. They're basically living and dying with Alston, Turk, and Lewis 3 point shooting and Howards slop baskets.

MagicBucsSox
04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
ya not contenders but theyve blown out cleveland every game but one which bron hits a deep 3 with 30 secs, lol . i agree i dont think we can beat LA or boston in a 7game, but if they just so happen to meet up with cleveland in the finals, WE WILL ADVANCE if the refs and david stern allow it.

we're 1 decent pf and a slasher away from running ish, know that

RodmansBulls
04-15-2009, 02:09 PM
you live by the 3 you die by the , i don't think they have a chance vs a good defensive team.

VCaintdead17
04-15-2009, 02:56 PM
you live by the 3 you die by the , i don't think they have a chance vs a good defensive team.

They don't necessarily live by the three. Hedo is a good slasher and we all know about Dwight.

IMO, they have just as much as a chance as the Cavs, Boston and maybe even the Lakers to win it all.

JordansBulls
04-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Orlando was a borderline contender when Jameer Nelson was around, however with Rafer instead they became a 2nd tier team IMO. A good chance to win it, but mainly if the big 3 are get upset.

If the Lakers, Celtics and Cavs are out of it, then Orlando is the team to beat followed by Denver

td0tsfinest
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
one thing about Orlando is their a jump shooting team. Majority of their shots come from jump shots, dwight howard is probably their only key player to get points in the paint. You have to wonder what's going to happen if their shots aren't going down in a 7 game series

madiaz3
04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Let's not forget that Jameer was the all-star before Mo Williams, he really was a talented guy.

Corey
04-15-2009, 07:39 PM
In my opinion, they are THE most dangerous team out of every team that's going to be in the playoffs. Their Achilles heel is 3pt shooting, but it's also their best weapon.

If their hitting 3's as a team, and Dwight plays his game..Their going to be unstoppable. The downside to that, though, is if they aren't hitting 3's they have to rely on Dwight to score all their points, which just isn't realistic.

what54!?
04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think they are yet. I think they need a decnt PF. But I wouldn't be suprised if they do some damage in the playoffs

Nesportsfantic
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
There a team that lives by the 3 and dies by the 3. If they are not hitting treys that have to rely on Dwight Howard to pick up the scoring load for them to win.
If they can hit on all cylinders they will be a very dangerous team and could make it past the Celtics in the 2nd round but don't them getting much further then that.

TheShowzOver
04-15-2009, 08:55 PM
They Magic aren't a contender because outside of Howard getting every ticky tack call from the refs they can't do **** except jack up a few three balls here and there. Seriously, if these guys even come across my Celtics in the playoffs they are getting swept.

PennyMy#1
04-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Sadly I have to agree. We're no contender. We haven't even build up enough and good enough around Dwight. We need to get decent PF next to him and a scorer for about 15 ppg off the bench, to really count as a contender, but who knows ...

JayW_1023
04-16-2009, 08:03 AM
Fran Vasquez to the rescue!

Oh wait...

cvburg
04-16-2009, 08:44 AM
come on keep underestamating(yah to lazy to check spelling) us put a chip on their shoulder and then they come out and win it all...that will be fun

BrizzleBear
04-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Injuries, When Jameer was in the line up and Hedo was healthy no one wanted to play these guys. But if you get Dwight into foul trouble and Lewis has a bad night they don't look that impressive.

charlsdq7
04-16-2009, 09:44 AM
cuz they gonna lose to philly in 7 :D

EX-TREME
04-16-2009, 10:12 AM
we see that in the playoffs