PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus works out with the Green Bay Packers

Wrigleyboy25
04-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Updated: April 14, 2009, 12:49 PM ET
Reports: Paulus has Packers tryout

ESPN.com news services

Greg Paulus, who chose to be a point guard instead of a quarterback in college, reportedly has worked out for the Green Bay Packers.

Paulus, who started 95 games at Duke before his role was drastically reduced his senior season, worked out in front of Packers representatives in Durham, N.C., "a couple of days ago," according to the Wisconsin State Journal. ProFootballTalk.com also had the report. It is not clear for what position he was auditioning.

Though Paulus, from Syracuse, N.Y., opted for the Blue Devils as a basketball player, he is not without some serious football credentials. He was offered a football scholarship by Notre Dame as well as the University of Miami, and was a former Gatorade football player of the year at Christian Brothers Academy.

Paulus, 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, was a four-time all-state football player; a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game; and set six state passing records. Christian Brothers was 42-3 during his time there, and he had 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdown passes in 45 games.

He is the only one among his male siblings to take the basketball route. Each of his five brothers played Division I-A football; Mike Paulus is currently a quarterback at North Carolina.

Paulus averaged 9.9 points and 4.1 assists as a three-year starter for the Blue Devils. But coach Mike Krzyzewski shuffled his lineup and Paulus, with a history of injuries, was replaced by Nolan Smith at the point. Paulus played just 16.1 minutes a game this season, averaging 4.9 points and 1.3 assists.

He earned widespread praise, however, for his conduct and demeanor after losing the starting job, giving guidance to the younger players and never showing outward disgruntlement.

He also expressed no regret about choosing basketball over football, during an interview in January with USA Today.

"I wanted to play point guard, and I got a chance to do that and to play for Duke and Coach [Krzyzewski]," Paulus told USA Today. "I wouldn't change a thing."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4067162

Paulus was the best high school football player in NY. I saw him play a lot. He was a hell of a QB. Got offered a scholarship to play QB and PG in both Notre Dame sports.

Rtardz
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I heard this on the radio, as a die hard Packer fan I dont even know what to say :cry::speechless::mad::bang::pity::badidea::puke:

metsjmo175
04-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I think it's an interesting idea. They worked him out as QB, but I wonder if they may be thinking something else like TE. He was a really talented football player, so why not give him a shot as a free agent after the draft? It could be fun to see if anything happens

Wrigleyboy25
04-14-2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's an interesting idea. They worked him out as QB, but I wonder if they may be thinking something else like TE. He was a really talented football player, so why not give him a shot as a free agent after the draft? It could be fun to see if anything happens
Yeah. I don't think he's big enough to be a TE though. Certainly won't be blocking anybody.

Padres Son
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I don't see what position he'd play. I doubt he's fast enough to play WR, too small to play TE or LB, and hasn't played a single down of college QB. Maybe safety or something?

Wrigleyboy25
04-14-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't see what position he'd play. I doubt he's fast enough to play WR, too small to play TE or LB, and hasn't played a single down of college QB. Maybe safety or something?
Duke said he was throwing to a Duke WR in the workout. I'm assuming he sticks at QB.

NBA_Starter
04-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Paulus is a super nice kid, I really hope he finds some kind of good job.

Sabres39
04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
McDaniels will turn him into a Pro Bowl QB after he signs with Denver.

superkegger
04-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I find this pretty funny. It seems like every year he got worse at Duke, and my old roomate was a huge Duke fan, and a month or so ago I texted him saying that Paulus should have went with football, so I find this pretty hilarious.

Wake's Fastball
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Couldn't stand Paulus despite him being a Blue Devil, but good to see the possibility of this as an option for him.

ugadawgsfan17
04-14-2009, 11:09 PM
:laugh: I really can't see this happening. People say Mike Vick probably won't be able to come back even though he only played 2 years ago, and Paulus hasn't even played since High School

Wake's Fastball
04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
As if this story needed another twist... Paulus apparently has a year of eligibility for football. Rich Rodriguez would like him as Michigan's starting QB next year, and Paulus visited the campus Tuesday.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9457458/Sources:-Paulus-may-play-football-at-Michigan

metsjmo175
04-15-2009, 12:50 PM
As if this story needed another twist... Paulus apparently has a year of eligibility for football. Rich Rodriguez would like him as Michigan's starting QB next year, and Paulus visited the campus Tuesday.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9457458/Sources:-Paulus-may-play-football-at-Michigan

This could end up being a very interesting story... hey, at least there could be some entertainment value in seeing what happens. And don't forget that Chris Weinke switched sports and won the Heisman when he was 26 or so [not saying that would happen with Paulus though, but switching sports can have success]. It sure could be fun to watch him switch and see if he's still got it.

ugadawgsfan17
04-15-2009, 09:05 PM
How does he have one extra year of eligibility?

metsjmo175
04-15-2009, 10:47 PM
How does he have one extra year of eligibility?

I've found some answers here:

Well, while Paulus is a senior and has used up his basketball eligibility, but he has a year left of football eligibility. According to NCAA eligibility guidelines, “The first time you enroll anywhere as a full-time student, you start your five-year clock of eligibility. If you play in Division I, you have five-calendar years to play four seasons of competition — even if you are not enrolled, even if you go part time within that time frame.”
Paulus was never a basketball redshirt at Duke, so as an undergraduate transfer he would be eligible to play football at another school.

and here:

College athletes are granted 10 semesters of eligibilty to play sports, or basically five years total, but only four per sport. Four years of basketball equals eight semesters, so Paulus should have one year left to play another sport. Paulus never used his basketball redshirt, so he’d have one more year of eligibility if he stays at Duke or transfers.

Because he would be switching sports, he wouldn't have to sit out a year - former South Carolina quarterback Chris Smelley has done the same thing, transferring to Alabama to play baseball.

Hope this clears it up a bit :)

Westbrook36
04-16-2009, 12:56 AM
:laugh: I really can't see this happening. People say Mike Vick probably won't be able to come back even though he only played 2 years ago, and Paulus hasn't even played since High School

Yeahh but at the same time hes still in shape :shrug:. Plus the fact that he'd have a full off-season to learn a system and get back into "Football shape". It's just like Michigan starting a freshman basically? Plus when he was in highschool he averaged 3 TD per game and not at some crappy highschool.

NYK|NYY
04-16-2009, 01:05 AM
Pretty cool story, I hope he can transition. He obviously isn't satisfied with the choice of sport he made which sucks. Wish him the best.

NY Orange
04-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Four years of flopping down the drain!

Wrigleyboy25
04-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Paulus: Michigan to give him shot at QB

Former Duke basketball player Greg Paulus has been given an opportunity to join Michigan's football team and compete for the starting quarterback job this fall.

Paulus, a former All-American quarterback in high school, visited Michigan's final practice of the spring Tuesday in Ann Arbor. He did not throw or work out for Wolverines coaches.

"There has been an opportunity given there," Paulus said Thursday morning on a conference call with reporters. "I thought it was a really good visit. It was really helpful to get to be on a campus and meet with coach [Rich] Rodriguez and see the system and understand what types of opportunities are out there."

The four-year point guard is scheduled to graduate from Duke in June.

Since Paulus did not redshirt for the basketball team, he has one year of eligibility remaining in another sport. And since he will complete his degree in four years, he can go to graduate school elsewhere and compete immediately.

Paulus said he can only play for Football Bowl Subdivision teams, ruling out a move to a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) member.

The 6-foot-1, 180-pound Paulus has received interest from several other college programs, including his hometown Syracuse Orange, but at this point he has no other visits scheduled. He recently worked out for the Green Bay Packers and is exploring possibilities with other pro teams.

Paulus is solely interested in playing quarterback and would enter Michigan's open competition under center if he chooses to join the Wolverines.

"The chance to compete for a starting job is important," Paulus said. "With me only having an opportunity to play for one year, the chance and the opportunity to compete at a high level is important. There is an opportunity to do that at Michigan."

True freshman Tate Forcier took most of the snaps this spring for the Wolverines and performed well. Last year's primary starter, Steven Threet, transferred from the program in February.

Junior Nick Sheridan, who started four games last year and broke his leg midway through the spring, will also compete for the job alongside another freshman, Denard Robinson.

Paulus was a former Gatorade high school football player of the year at Christian Brothers Academy, where he was a four-time all-state player, set six state passing records and was a starter in the U.S. Army All-American game. Christian Brothers was 42-3 during Paulus' time there, and he had 11,763 career passing yards and 152 touchdown passes in 45 games.

"The quarterback position is like being the point guard," Paulus said. "You get the ball every possession and every play. That's exciting to me."

Paulus is still gathering information about Michigan and other schools, as well as the possibility of working out for more NFL teams. If he chooses the college route, a school's graduate program will be a major factor in his decision.

"I just feel very fortunate and really appreciative of some of the opportunities given," Paulus said. "It's been a dream."

Adam Rittenberg covers Big Ten football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at espnritt@gmail.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4073430

NBA_Starter
04-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Hopefully it works out and Greg gets the job, I may even root for Michigan and I have not had any love for them ever.

Wake's Fastball
04-16-2009, 06:36 PM
The widespread hate for Michigan football and Rich Rodriguez is already pretty darn high. Throw Greg Paulus into the mix and you're got some kind of perfect storm brewing.

BrizzleBear
04-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Was never a fan of him of Duke but I'd like to see how he plays at Michigan.

sdweston757
04-20-2009, 01:05 AM
i am now a Michigan wolverines fan for a year.