PDA

View Full Version : Utah, New Orleans, and Dallas fighting for 6th

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 12:17 AM
There's the same battle going on out East, so with only 1 game left, 3 teams are within one one game of one another. Its going to be a fight for the finish. Who will end up where.

Current standings:

New Orleans 49-32 (obviously, owns tie breaker over Dallas)
Dallas 49-32
Utah 48-33 (in case, owns tie breaker over both N.O. and Dallas)

This is the schedule for the 3 teams in the next 2 days

Tuesday Night:

Utah Jazz at Los Angeles Lakers

Wednesday Night:

New Orleans Hornets @ San Antonio Spurs

Houston Rockets @ Dallas Mavericks

Different Scenarios:

Utah as 6th seed - Jazz win Tuesday AND Hornets & Mavericks loss Wed.
Utah as 7th seed - Jazz win Tuesday AND Hornets win & Mavs loss Wed.
Utah as 8th seed - Jazz LOSS Tuesday night

N.O. as 6th seed - Hornets WIN Wednesday
N.O. as 7th seed - Hornets LOSS Wed. & Jazz LOSS Tues. & Mavs WIN Wed.
N.O. as 8th seed - Hornets LOSS Wed. & Jazz WIN Tues. & Mavs WIN Wed.

Dallas as 6th seed - Mavs WIN Wed. AND Hornets LOSS Wed.
Dallas as 7th seed - Mavs & Hornets WIN Wed OR Jazz LOSS Tues.
Dallas as 8th seed - Mavs LOSS Wed. AND Jazz WIN Tues & N.O. WIN Wed.

How do you see these final games turning out and who ends where?

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Surely all wish to avoid the Lakers, but Denver isn't the best of matchups either. So I know all will battle their hearts out for the 6th. I want Dallas to capture it, we'll see what plays out here in the next 48 hours.

superkegger
04-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Dallas
New Orleans
Utah

what54!?
04-14-2009, 12:34 AM
new orleans
dallas
Utah

I think the spurs will rest duncan and even if the lakers don't play kobe or gasol much, their hardder to beat than the spurs

Spurred1
04-14-2009, 12:36 AM
Howard and his dainty ankle will be the X-factor for where the Mavs end up. I imagine Houston will focus their defenses on Dirk and take their chances with Terry and the rest of the team going. If the Howard from the past year shows up, hello Lakers or Nuggets.

Mckphins
04-14-2009, 12:38 AM
I think new orleans beats the spurs and secures 6th to replay the spurs in the 1st round. I think dallas gets 7th and utah 8th. But i personally think out of those 3 teams,whoever gets 8 and faces lakers, i think the jazz have the best chance of upsetting them. If the jazz can get it all together they can upset them. Hornets need to get healthy, and if they do they can really shake things up. And i persoanlly think dallas wont cause any upsets.

NFLNBA
04-14-2009, 12:46 AM
This is easy!

Rockets will beat the Mavs - Rockets are the better team and either team is resting stars

Hornets will beat the Spurs - Spurs are not the same team with a hurt Duncun&no Manu

Jazz will beat the Lakers - Lakers will rest Kobe and Gasol more then usual

Lakers will face Dallas round 1

Jazz will face the Nuggets round 1

Hornets will face Rockets round 1

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 12:51 AM
I don't really see the Spurs resting players, they blew/are blowing out the Warriors and they are resting the finish of that game, added the day off tomorrow. They also still have something to play for. they want homecourt and if they lose they will be 5th seed if Portland wins.

The Jazz do give the Lakers the best series, NO not really, no. Dallas has no chance at all.

Odds would say Spurs win at HOME over the Hornets.
Also the Lakers, if they do not rest guys, should win at HOME over the Jazz Tues.
Dallas, 31-5 at HOME since an 0-4 start is favored to win vs. the visiting Rockets

Ends with
Dallas 6 facing Spurs 3 first round
N.O. 7 facing Nuggets 2
Utah 8 facing Lakers 1

Mckphins
04-14-2009, 12:53 AM
What if hornets get 6th do they face the rockets? not the spurs?

lakers4sho
04-14-2009, 12:57 AM
Dallas
New Orleans
Utah

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 01:12 AM
What if hornets get 6th do they face the rockets? not the spurs?
It would depend on the Dallas/Houston game and Portland/Denver:

Dallas WIN over Rockets AND Denver WIN over Portland = Hornets vs. Spurs

Houston WIN over Dallas AND Spurs LOSS to Hornets = Hornets vs. Houston

superkegger
04-14-2009, 01:29 AM
It would depend on the Dallas/Houston game and Portland/Denver:

Dallas WIN over Rockets AND Denver WIN over Portland = Hornets vs. Spurs

Houston WIN over Dallas AND Spurs LOSS to Hornets = Hornets vs. Houston

I bet houston would love to play houston. They'd then be assured of getting out of the first round. :p

Mckphins
04-14-2009, 01:32 AM
I bet houston would love to play houston. They'd then be assured of getting out of the first round. :p

what? nowhere in that does it say houston vs houston? i missed something?

braveniler58
04-14-2009, 01:33 AM

Nah, knowing Houston, they'd find a way to screw that up too.

astrosmaniac
04-14-2009, 07:49 AM
Nah, knowing Houston, they'd find a way to screw that up too.

funny coming from a fan of a team who isnt even in the playoffs :rolleyes:

snickers
04-14-2009, 08:13 AM
This is easy!

Rockets will beat the Mavs - Rockets are the better team and either team is resting stars

Hornets will beat the Spurs - Spurs are not the same team with a hurt Duncun&no Manu

Jazz will beat the Lakers - Lakers will rest Kobe and Gasol more then usual

Lakers will face Dallas round 1

Jazz will face the Nuggets round 1

Hornets will face Rockets round 1

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi13-2009apr13,0,3688454.story?track=rss

Furthermore, Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said he would not rest Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol or Derek Fisher in the regular-season finale against any team.

"I don't think of sitting players," Jackson said Sunday. "I don't think that's the right thing to do when people buy season tickets and special-game tickets and things like that, and the league has asked us not to do that.

"I have players that are going to play their 82nd game this week, hopefully, and that's a big milestone in this game, to have played them all."

Bryant, Fisher and Trevor Ariza will have played all 82 regular-season games if they play Tuesday.

so expect the lakers to come out hard and send a message

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 08:25 AM
^true ballers:clap:

Young2Kinsler
04-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Dallas has zero chance in the playoffs anywhere below the 6 seed. That being said tomorrow nights game is big, which means this team will probably roll over.

6- Hornets
7- Mavs
8- Jazz

DrDEADalready
04-14-2009, 10:24 AM
If lakers new what was good for them. they would throw this game to us. Cause I'm pretty sure they don't want to meet us in the first round.

I'm sure they can win. but they'll get beat up in the process.

Lo Porto
04-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Dallas
Utah
New Orleans

What do the Lakers have to gain by playing Kobe, Gasol and Bynum tonight? Nothing - Utah should win this game pretty easily since L.A. shouldn't play those guys in a meaningless game. I don't think the Lakers want to face Utah in the playoffs anyway. The Lakers would beat N.O., Dallas or Utah, but Utah would batter them and wear them down for a playoff run.

todu82
04-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Dallas
New Orleans
Utah

JordansBulls
04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
If lakers new what was good for them. they would throw this game to us. Cause I'm pretty sure they don't want to meet us in the first round.

I see no point of the Lakers trying to send a message to the Jazz. Now it means they will have 3 games in a row at Staples against the Jazz. While the Jazz are not good on the road because all the games are in a row, I can see them getting one of those games.

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 11:55 AM
In reality the Lakers/Jazz game will not have any significance if both New Orleans and Dallas win tomorrow.

The Lakers are clearly the best team and yes I can see them beating Utah 3 times in a row at Staples.

Anyway as posted earlier the Lakers are playing full strength tonight and should beat the Jazz, clinching Utah the 8th slot.

Leaving Dallas and New Orleans to decide who takes 6th tomorrow night.

Dallas definitely has the better chance at home. Both Houston and San Antonio will be playing for something so they will be great games to end the year.

Lo Porto
04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
L.A. would be stupid to let Kobe, Fisher, Gasol or even Bynum touch the floor during the 2nd half tonight. They might play a tough first half, but they gain absolutely nothing by playing at all tonight other than their own stats. With that being said, Utah should win tonight.

Bucsfan
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
the jazz choked hard, losing to a bunch of teams they shouldnt have (twolves/warriors), they deserve a first round exit at this point

Bucsfan
04-14-2009, 02:03 PM
L.A. would be stupid to let Kobe, Fisher, Gasol or even Bynum touch the floor during the 2nd half tonight. They might play a tough first half, but they gain absolutely nothing by playing at all tonight other than their own stats. With that being said, Utah should win tonight.

that would be dumb, but phil jackson said he doesnt want to let ticket holders down and let players "take a game off"

EX-TREME
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
dallas
n.o
utah

KobeBeatJeeesus
04-14-2009, 04:07 PM
If houston played houston, they would still lose in the 1st round.

SundaeBest
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Sounds more like wishful thinking on your part, the Laker's aren't really concerned with any team in the West. That being said, I hope it's LA vs Utah, (not talking smack) simply because, to me, that is the most exiting scenario for the Lakers in round 1. Anywhoo, good luck to both teams, and a touch of bad juju towards your Jazz ;)

Lo Porto
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Phil is right to play his players tonight for at least a little to back what he said. But any moron knows that playing those guys the whole game in a meaningless game is a risky proposition. I doubt Kobe plays in the 4th if he plays after halftime at all.

As for L.A. versus Utah, every L.A. fan should be more afraid of playing Utah than N.O. or Dallas. Utah matches up better than either of those other two. If it wasn't for L.A. getting 60 more FT's in the series last year, Utah could have advanced. L.A. will always get more calls, but the 8 seed versus 1 seed thing would make it more interesting.

Bucsfan
04-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Phil is right to play his players tonight for at least a little to back what he said. But any moron knows that playing those guys the whole game in a meaningless game is a risky proposition. I doubt Kobe plays in the 4th if he plays after halftime at all.

As for L.A. versus Utah, every L.A. fan should be more afraid of playing Utah than N.O. or Dallas. Utah matches up better than either of those other two. If it wasn't for L.A. getting 60 more FT's in the series last year, Utah could have advanced. L.A. will always get more calls, but the 8 seed versus 1 seed thing would make it more interesting.

while utah does match up better dont forget how crappy the jazz have been playing lately, like they dont even care...while the lakers are on a quest to get a championship....the jazz are on a quest to not get embaressed in the first round

MJ-BULLS
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
New Orleans
Dallas
Utah

Lo Porto
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
while utah does match up better dont forget how crappy the jazz have been playing lately, like they dont even care...while the lakers are on a quest to get a championship....the jazz are on a quest to not get embaressed in the first round

You are probably right, but I wouldn't put anything past Utah this year. They've won 12 straight since having their full team back and then they've also lost 7 of 12. If they can find a way to win 1 of 2 in L.A. first round, anything is possible.

XJW18
04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
As a Laker fan rigt now id rather play New Orleans than Utah.

jimbobjarree
04-14-2009, 06:17 PM
yeah but the Jazz sucks so bad right now you'd probably sweep us

Bucsfan
04-14-2009, 06:22 PM
yeah but the Jazz suck so bad right now you will sweep us

there i fixed it :)

thedfactor
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Perhaps the Jazz can be the "WE BELIEVE" Warriors from two years ago. Nevermind, those guys were exciting...and the Lakers are a much better overall team than the Mavericks were that season. Still, I would like to see the best matchup and I believe Utah has the ability to do so over Dallas or New Orleans.

JordansBulls
04-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Perhaps the Jazz can be the "WE BELIEVE" Warriors from two years ago. Nevermind, those guys were exciting...and the Lakers are a much better overall team than the Mavericks were that season. Still, I would like to see the best matchup and I believe Utah has the ability to do so over Dallas or New Orleans.

I believe Utah will give the Lakers a better challenge than the other 2 teams will.

BlondeBomber41
04-15-2009, 01:31 AM
The Mavs held double digit leads in every game against the Lakers this year. They could just never finish the job. So I do think they could of given them trouble, but glad at least for this round they dont gotta try.

DrDEADalready
04-15-2009, 09:50 AM
well we know for sure who the 8th seed is. :cry:

Young2Kinsler
04-15-2009, 10:57 AM
NO secures the 6 seed with a win tonight, or a Dallas loss.

Dallas needs a Win over Houston, and a NO loss @ SA.

Dallas could still move into the 6, but I'm pretty sure it will be NO. Too bad, don't think Dallas has a shot with the Nuggets.

IBleedPurple
04-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Dallas does have matchup problems against Denver should they play each other in the playoffs.

But the Nuggets haven't secured the #2 seed yet....

JayW_1023
04-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I think the Spurs will still be dangerous...we may not have the legs of a champion but we still have the heart. And as Rudy T has said...

thedfactor
04-15-2009, 12:20 PM
NO secures the 6 seed with a win tonight, or a Dallas loss.

Dallas needs a Win over Houston, and a NO loss @ SA.

Dallas could still move into the 6, but I'm pretty sure it will be NO. Too bad, don't think Dallas has a shot with the Nuggets.
I really hope it works out the way we want. Dallas has to take care of business and win at home tonight playing all out. I think the Spurs have a legit shot to beat the Hornets in San Antonio. Then it would be a lovely Texas first round matchup at the 6/3.

king4day
04-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Blazers/Spurs would be a very good series. With no Manu, I don't see SA winning it though.

I really can't believe how far the Jazz have fallen. That team needs to do some offseason tinkering. I doubt Boozer returns. Shame they couldn't trade him and get something for him. Milsap is a suitable replacement, but it's still a potential big loss for them.

Bucsfan
04-15-2009, 02:10 PM
If the jazz can get a big center, another servicable PF (hakim warrick?) and let boozer walk they will improve, i hate to say it but the jazz may want to look around at possible new head coaches also, i like how the offense is run, just not the defense, it sucks