PDA

View Full Version : Good Trades for Both Teams

AntwanN21
04-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Usaully in the nba we rarely see a trade work out for both teams and almost always one team gets the better end of the deal than the other team.

Examples of Trades that worked out better for one team.

Vince Carter-For Alonzo Morning, picks and the Williams.
Randy Roye for Brandon Roy
Caron Butler for Kwamme Brown
A.I for Chauncey Billups

Then there are those trades that dont end up working for either team.

Shawn Marion for Shaquille Oneal

How ever my question is this. What are the trades you feel effectively worked out for both teams.

IMO I think that the ............

Paul Gasol to the Grizzlies was a pretty fair trade now. It gave Memphis the chance for Marc Gasol to shine. Now with Mayo makes a solid young lineup.For the lakers it almost resulted in a championship and kept Kobe from fleeing L.A which i think he wouldnt anyway.

So what other trades do you think worked for both teams or will work for both teams in the future????

Hawkeye15
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
as a Wolves fan, I would rather have kept Roy. Although that may be the most obvious observation since someone said, "If you diet and exercise, you might lose weight"

Sportznut
04-13-2009, 06:46 PM
sorry but Rudy Gay was traded draft day from Rockets to Memphis for Battier.. good trade for both teams from my standpoint.. but wouldnt have mind keeping young talent like Rudy

AntwanN21
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
sorry but Rudy Gay was traded draft day from Rockets to Memphis for Battier.. good trade for both teams from my standpoint.. but wouldnt have mind keeping young talent like Rudy

haha ok thanks for editing that. But rudy gay for shane battier was a pretty good deal in my opinion.

kingofkings313
04-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok, that superstar to superstar trade....Kwame Brown and Randy Foye are no superstars! But I get what you are saying! Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury! Kidd turned the last placed Nets into the best team in the East and Stephon Marbury did take the Suns to the playoffs! Even tho eventually Stephon Marbury is a cancer to every team he goes on! That trade worked for those 2 seasons! Shaq for Butler, Odom, and Grant! The Heat won a title! And now the Lakers are paying off from it with Odom helping Kobe and Gasol! The Grizzlies trade for Gasol only helped the Lakers! The Grizzlies can stay young all they want with high draft picks, but they won't go anywhere without a couple of veterans to teach them to be a team and stop being selfish! OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay will eventually bump heads for who is the top man on the team! Wouldn't be surprised if Gay demands a trade or signs a 1 year tender so he can become an unrestricted Free Agent! And in a way the Pistons did benefit trading for AI! I mean they will get 30 million to spend on a good free agent, if any! And the Nuggets are having there best season ever!

VCaintdead17
04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Ok, that superstar to superstar trade....Kwame Brown and Randy Foye are no superstars! But I get what you are saying! Jason Kidd for Stephon Marbury! Kidd turned the last placed Nets into the best team in the East and Stephon Marbury did take the Suns to the playoffs! Even tho eventually Stephon Marbury is a cancer to every team he goes on! That trade worked for those 2 seasons! Shaq for Butler, Odom, and Grant! The Heat won a title! And now the Lakers are paying off from it with Odom helping Kobe and Gasol! The Grizzlies trade for Gasol only helped the Lakers! The Grizzlies can stay young all they want with high draft picks, but they won't go anywhere without a couple of veterans to teach them to be a team and stop being selfish! OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay will eventually bump heads for who is the top man on the team! Wouldn't be surprised if Gay demands a trade or signs a 1 year tender so he can become an unrestricted Free Agent! And in a way the Pistons did benefit trading for AI! I mean they will get 30 million to spend on a good free agent, if any! And the Nuggets are having there best season ever!

Jesus.

You must be a very intense person, look at all those exclamation points. I'd hate to see you when your mad. :laugh2:

But yeah, not often to trades work out extremely well for both sides. It's usualy just hit and miss. :shrug:

AntwanN21
04-13-2009, 07:01 PM

Lol good points but when i said the A.I for Chauncey Billups it was under the examples that worked out better for one team then the other.Denver is on fire right now while just last week detroit was fighting for a playoff spot.

Wake's Fastball
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I think the Kidd-Harris swap has worked out alot better than anyone gives the Mavs credit for.

blazerman
04-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Usaully in the nba we rarely see superstar for superstar trades and almost always one team gets the better end of the deal than the other team.

For example-

Vince Carter-For Alonzo Morning, picks and the Williams.
Randy Roye for Brandon Roy
Caron Butler for Kwamme Brown
A.I for Chauncey Billups

Then there are those trades that dont end up working for either team.

Example

Shawn Marion for Shaquille Oneal
Dont remember any others.

How ever my question is this. What are the trades you feel effectively worked out for both teams.

IMO I think that the ............

Paul Gasol to the Grizzlies was a pretty fair trade now. It gave Memphis the chance for Marc Gasol to shine and draft Rudy Gay. Now with Mayo makes a solid young lineup.For the lakers it almost resulted in a championship and kept Kobe from fleeing L.A which i thinnk he wouldnt anyway.

So what other trades do you think worked for both teams or will work for both teams in the future????

Are you kidding me the Pau Gasol trade could be considered "Felony theft" in some states, and Rudy Gay was drafted in 2006 by the Rockets with the 8th selection and trade to the Grizzlies for Shane Battier long before the Gasol trade.

Getting Marc Gasol and opening up some cap space for Pau Gasol hardly is fair(Marc is pretty good but nobody would mistake him for Pau on the court).

The thing I find funny about the trade is Jerry West decided to step down from the grizzlies just about the time the smoke cleared in Memphis and the Lakers rode Pau Gasol all the way to the finals, remind me didnt West used to play for the Lakers and run that front office for a while.

And Im not complaining by no means because you have to have a sucker every now and then if your luck hasnt been to good and Im referring to the Blazer/Twolve trade, "B Roy for Randy Foye", geez that one still gets me.

Im not sure if Mchale has been able to get his pants past his ankles since he got bent over on that trade. Come to think about it those very same grizzlies took a turn on Mchale last yr on draft day with the Mayo/Love trade, no wonder he stepped down GM.

I Am Awesome-O
04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
Are you kidding me the Pau Gasol trade could be considered "Felony theft" in some states, and Rudy Gay was drafted in 2006 by the Rockets with the 8th selection and trade to the Grizzlies for Shane Battier long before the Gasol trade.

Getting Marc Gasol and opening up some cap space for Pau Gasol hardly is fair(Marc is pretty good but nobody would mistake him for Pau on the court).

The thing I find funny about the trade is Jerry West decided to step down from the grizzlies just about the time the smoke cleared in Memphis and the Lakers rode Pau Gasol all the way to the finals, remind me didnt West used to play for the Lakers and run that front office for a while.

And Im not complaining by no means because you have to have a sucker every now and then if your luck hasnt been to good and Im referring to the Blazer/Twolve trade, "B Roy for Randy Foye", geez that one still gets me.

Im not sure if Mchale has been able to get his pants past his ankles since he got bent over on that trade. Come to think about it those very same grizzlies took a turn on Mchale last yr on draft day with the Mayo/Love trade, no wonder he stepped down GM.

That trade also gave them Darrell Arthur, Javaris Crittenton, the chance to acquire O.J. Mayo, who is the cornerstone of the Memphis franchise, and a 1st round pick in 2010. They didn't just get Marc and cap space. It really wasn't that bad of a trade for Memphis in hindsight. The offers they were getting were not going to help them in the long term as much as the Laker deal.

Here is a near perfect review of the Pau-to-L.A. trade, written by a Laker fan blog-
First, I want to review the Gasol trade with the benefit of a little hindsight. Memphis got absolutely blasted at the time. I’m sure many still believe that’s right, but I think the trade is much more of a win-win than Memphis gets credit for. The Grizzlies accomplished several things in trading Pau: (1) long term financial relief — they cut Gasol’s $60M remaining contract and have the league’s lowest payroll this year (a must given their revenue issues); (2) cap flexibility — they’ll be over $20 million under the cap this summer (whether they spend it is another story); (3) lose games to get a better draft pick — if they kept Pau they would have won several more games and not been in a position to draft Mayo, their #1 building block; and (4) acquire young, cheap talent and draft picks — they landed a center of the future in Marc Gasol, Darrel Arthur (with the Lakers pick), and have one more pick to come (Crittenton didn’t work out). Many say that Chicago was offering more with some kind of Nocioni + Gordon/Hinrich package, and maybe that’s true (I question whether Reinsdorf was truly willing to pony up and take on the long term salary), but would Memphis really be in a better position locked into those longer contracts and no man’s land status (too good to rebuild and too bad to contend)? I say, give me Marc Gasol, a few draft picks, the shot at Mayo, and all the cap flexibility.

Hawkeye15
04-13-2009, 07:53 PM

Love leads all rookies in rebounds, double doubles (by a landslide each), PER, and set the all time Timberwolves record for rebounds by a rookie. He is 3rd in the entire NBA in offensive rebounds, 4th in rebound rate all time for rookies, and chips in over 11 ppg, while playing 25 mpg. I wouldn't exactly call him a chump. But if you like sportscenter, by all means, Mayo is you're man

I Am Awesome-O
04-13-2009, 07:57 PM
Love leads all rookies in rebounds, double doubles (by a landslide each), PER, and set the all time Timberwolves record for rebounds by a rookie. He is 3rd in the entire NBA in offensive rebounds, 4th in rebound rate all time for rookies, and chips in over 11 ppg, while playing 25 mpg. I wouldn't exactly call him a chump. But if you like sportscenter, by all means, Mayo is you're man

I actually think that the Mayo-Love trade was pretty much even. I think Mayo will be better long term, and he will be a star while Love will not be a star, but Minnesota got out of Jaric's ****** contract, acquired Mike Miller, and got a rookie big man who is already one of the league's top rebounders.

SteveNash
04-13-2009, 10:17 PM
That trade also gave them Darrell Arthur, Javaris Crittenton, the chance to acquire O.J. Mayo, who is the cornerstone of the Memphis franchise, and a 1st round pick in 2010. They didn't just get Marc and cap space. It really wasn't that bad of a trade for Memphis in hindsight. The offers they were getting were not going to help them in the long term as much as the Laker deal.

Here is a near perfect review of the Pau-to-L.A. trade, written by a Laker fan blog-

Oh please, don't bring that BS about being given the change to draft OJ Mayo.

Terrible trade for the Grizzlies.

jayl1377
04-13-2009, 10:22 PM
I really like the Bulls and Kings trade this season for both teams.

mzgrizz
04-13-2009, 10:27 PM
I still think we got ****** over by the Pau trade. Don't get me wrong, I am crazy about Marc's play and feel he will continue to improve, just not at the same level of play as his brother. The $20M cap is only as good as taking your time outs when you have them and need them! HINT to HEISLEY.......USE IT!

theuuord
04-13-2009, 10:41 PM

Basically.

Love is probably the most efficient rookie in this class for his position. I'd still put him behind Beasley and Rose in terms of long-term value (and about even with Lopez), but I'd definitely rather have him over Mayo.

I Am Awesome-O
04-13-2009, 11:10 PM

What the hell are you talking about? How is it BS? Memphis would have won more games with Pau, which would have put them in a lower spot in the lottery, thus depleting the shot at drafting Kevin Love, which would destroy any chance at getting O.J. Mayo. How stupid do you have to be to not realize that?

blackjack_119
04-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Kevin Garnett for Al Jefferson and others. Boston got their ring and will remain contenders for a year or two. Minnesota got a player that they can actually build around for the foreseeable future.

kEviN21
04-14-2009, 04:00 AM

Only cuz the Grizzlies probably could've gotten more for Pau at the time.

Jazzgear
04-14-2009, 08:30 AM

Uh? No, that was a bad trade for Houston:rolleyes:

Kyben36
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
IMO, there is always a winner and looser of every trade. Never is it just a equal switch like D Wade for Kobe.

Kabowdos
04-14-2009, 11:29 AM
The Lakers still got the better deal in the Gasol trade.

Memphis benefited as well, but mostly because they lost more games and were able to get Mayo. Critt has not shown anything yet. Marc has had a decent rookie season, but he still needs to improve. Rudy Gay will not stay on that team because of the competition with Mayo. Mayo will soon be a much better player than Gay.

theuuord
04-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Uh? No, that was a bad trade for Houston:rolleyes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html

SteveNash
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Well you could look at it that Chicago won the lottery and that the Grizzlies would have won more games and been in the 9th spot instead of Chicago so they could have ended up winning the lottery instead of getting the 5th pick also forcing them to trade Mike Miller for the right to swap picks.

blazerman
04-15-2009, 05:30 PM

My thought exactly and it's tough to say now but Im sure Lamar Odom could have been had instead of Kwame Brown. He wouldnt have added many more wins than Kwame but he would have been a keeper unlike Kwame and would have fit well with Rudy Gay and Mayo.

Reminder the jury was out with the Lakers on if they even wanted Odom back, it wasnt until last yrs playoffs that they found him to be more of a keeper than a liability.

Another reason the trade looked bad was because the team the Grizzlies traded Gasol and basically gave the Lakers the piece that was missing(kind of hard to believe that Jerry West and his Laker ties didnt influence that one). But like I said Im not *****in because the Twolves did give the Blazers Roy for almost nothing and the Bulls gave us Aldridge for Thomas.