PDA

View Full Version : Thats Why The NBA Officiating is always in question

NFLNBA
04-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Everyone needs to watch the end of the Spurs - Kings game tonight

with the shot clock at zero's for almost a full second Finley gets credit for a game winning 3. It was so blatant of a bad call its why fans question the game of Basketball and the way some games are officaited.

Kings fan say the league just wanted the Spurs to have home-court in the 1st round......usually i would say thats ridiculous but after watching that...maybe this league does help teams win certain games, or is it just that the NBA is the worst officaited game in Sports????????????????????????????????????????????

What Do You Guys Think?

#1Mavericksfan
04-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Well I didn't see the end of the game but I did see alot of people talking about how it ended, you never no what's going on in the NBA/Stern head, go back and look at the Cavs vs. Wizards game on Christmas at the end when the Cavs where about to lose at home for the first time, the refs kept sending the Cavs to the free throw line to help them win the game...so the Cavs really have 2 losses at home.

Spurred1
04-13-2009, 12:34 AM
It was bad. Can't understand why they didn't allow the shot to be reviewed.

Rhino
In all of sports this is by far the worse officiated, (if you can even call what they do officiating) sport. It wasn't always this way its just what it has developed into over time. I guess we can all thank Stern.

superkegger
As long as the game is reffed by humans, there will be mistakes made.

People are always going to have complaints, and always have had complaints about the officiating. Just like teams and players, they have good games and bad games. Different refs see things differently.

The NBA is not rigged. I still don't know how people can believe that. If it were rigged, would the "boring" Spurs have won 4 NBA titles? If it were rigged, would the Celtics have been so mediocre for so long? If the NBA were rigged, wouldn't Kobe and Shaq have more than 2 combined MVP's? If the NBA were rigged, how would Steve Nash have gotten his second MVP? Why would Dirk and the Mavs lose in the first round?

There's bad officiating. There's simply a lot of action, and with the rule changes implemented, it has made the refs jobs basically impossible. They should be calling so many more fouls than they are, with how the rules are written. The NBA refs probably do the worst job, but they also have to make the most judgement calls of any refs, and the league has not made their job any easier with the rule changes.

Rhino
04-13-2009, 12:36 AM
What gets me is they get paid to suck.

still1ballin
04-13-2009, 12:39 AM
That was a horrible call.....totally ignored it. Don't know why they can't take a couple minutes and get the call right. What happeneds if that was a game 7 in the finals? Do you ignore it? If that happened to the Lakers, you can expect a riot outside of Staples.

Rhino
04-13-2009, 12:41 AM

People are always going to have complaints, and always have had complaints about the officiating. Just like teams and players, they have good games and bad games. Different refs see things differently.

The NBA is not rigged. I still don't know how people can believe that. If it were rigged, would the "boring" Spurs have won 4 NBA titles? If it were rigged, would the Celtics have been so mediocre for so long? If the NBA were rigged, wouldn't Kobe and Shaq have more than 2 combined MVP's? If the NBA were rigged, how would Steve Nash have gotten his second MVP? Why would Dirk and the Mavs lose in the first round?

There's bad officiating. There's simply a lot of action, and with the rule changes implemented, it has made the refs jobs basically impossible. They should be calling so many more fouls than they are, with how the rules are written. The NBA refs probably do the worst job, but they also have to make the most judgement calls of any refs, and the league has not made their job any easier with the rule changes.

Nah I disagree there is a difference between making a mistake and blatantly dictating a game like some of these refs do. I've seen it so many times it makes me literally sick to my stomache.

Rhino
04-13-2009, 12:43 AM
The NBA officials are a joke plain and simple.

pd7631
04-13-2009, 12:43 AM
I saw it on SportsCenter and it was absolutely a horrible call. The refs absolutely should not have missed it when it happened. But I'm not sure I can blame them entirely because I'm not sure what the rule is on reviewing shots like that. I thought that they were only allowed to review shots at the end of halves. Correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, if they were allowed to review that shot, then that's the biggest load of BS I've ever seen in my life that they didn't review it.

#1Mavericksfan
04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna make sure I see what really happened now

NFLNBA
04-13-2009, 12:46 AM

All great points, but how about the Celtics - Lakers Finals of last year? Seemed like to me the NBA sure wanted Boston 2 win a title didnt it? If i remember correctly Boston even had a game where a bench player named Powe had double the amount of FT Attempst then the ENTIRE Lakers team?
Or how about Kobe Bryant ave 36 point a game tied MJ for 8 consecutive 40+ point game had a 81 point game took a HORRIBLE Lakers team to the playoffs and also took the #1 seed Suns to 7 games by himself and still not get the MVP? Or if you ask a lot of people how about the Kings-Lakers WCF of what 2001? Obvoiusly The Kobe MVP thing isnt a ref thing but people do question the NBA on how the hell is the MVP award really voted?

I agree that everyone makes mistakes, i agree that the officials of the NBA have more calls to make then any other sport, but when its a BLATANT call and they miss it, or when they favor 1 team and its blatant or favor players (Lebron,Wade,CP3) thats when i really question this game.

superkegger
04-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Nah I disagree there is a difference between making a mistake and blatantly dictating a game like some of these refs do. I've seen it so many times it makes me literally sick to my stomache.

You see dictating a game, they see fouls. Not saying they're perfect, because they're not. I too often get frustrated with it, because they often lack consistency. But, while they do the worst job of the pro sports, they also have the toughest job.

Just saying that while the refs are at fault, the league office has to take blame for some of the officiating. When they got rid of hand checking and basically making it impossible to play defense on perimeter players, trying to make the next Jordan, they tainted the game. Some of the stars calls given out are because of the rules implemented. Stars have the ball more and can take advantage of this, because they know the rules and exploit them. Until they change the rules to not let the offensive player jailhouse defenders, you're going to continue to see bad officiating, because it's impossible to get right all the time.

SMS07
04-13-2009, 12:49 AM
The NBA officials are a joke plain and simple.

It's not just the refs. The NBA is behind a lot of these rigged games and calls. David Stern might be the commander and chief and the front office has a big part in these tragedies as well. The NBA is rigged

superkegger
04-13-2009, 12:53 AM
All great points, but how about the Celtics - Lakers Finals of last year? Seemed like to me the NBA sure wanted Boston 2 win a title didnt it? If i remember correctly Boston even had a game where a bench player named Powe had double the amount of FT Attempst then the ENTIRE Lakers team?
Or how about Kobe Bryant ave 36 point a game tied MJ for 8 consecutive 40+ point game had a 81 point game took a HORRIBLE Lakers team to the playoffs and also took the #1 seed Suns to 8 games by himself and still not get the MVP? Or if you ask a lot of people how about the Kings-Lakers WCF of what 2001? Obvoiuly The KObe MVP thing isnt a ref thing but people do question the NBA on how the hell is the MVP award really voted?

I agree that everyone makes mistakes, i agree that the officials of the NBA have more calls to make then any other sport, but when its a BLATANT call and they miss it, or when they favor 1 team and its blatant or favor players (Lebron,Wade,CP3) thats when i really question this game.

Now you just sound kind of butt hurt over the Lakers getting out played. Was there bad officiating there? Yeah. But that's how Boston had played all season long. That's what they'd been getting all season long from the refs. Not because the league rigged it, but because that's the style they played. If they started calling all those "non calls" and what not, then people would be saying that it was rigged in the Lakers favor.

The Lakers lost, not because of officiating, but because they got out worked, and weren't strong enough physically or mentally.

As far as Kobe not getting the MVP that year. As I've pointed out on so so many numerous past occasions, as important as individual stats are in the MVP race, there's a stat that is also very important that Kobe didn't have, wins. The award is voted on by the media. Not dictated by the league, done by the media. They've consistently rewarded winners. Kobe had a phenomenal season, no doubt, but he didn't have the wins, and that has been a consistent theme in NBA MVP history, winning.

Sometimes what seems blatant to us, isn't as easy to see in real time, in the fast paced action. Not saying they shouldn't be criticized for their sometimes poor at best officiating. Just sayin that they are human, and the league has jailhoused them with the rules.

As far as star calls, I'm not even going to go into it. It's happened for a long long time, and its going to continue. They have the ball more, they are the aggressors, they're going to get more calls. Simple as that.

NFLNBA
04-13-2009, 12:56 AM
You see dictating a game, they see fouls. Not saying they're perfect, because they're not. I too often get frustrated with it, because they often lack consistency. But, while they do the worst job of the pro sports, they also have the toughest job.

Just saying that while the refs are at fault, the league office has to take blame for some of the officiating. When they got rid of hand checking and basically making it impossible to play defense on perimeter players, trying to make the next Jordan, they tainted the game. Some of the stars calls given out are because of the rules implemented. Stars have the ball more and can take advantage of this, because they know the rules and exploit them. Until they change the rules to not let the offensive player jailhouse defenders, you're going to continue to see bad officiating, because it's impossible to get right all the time.

Again your making sense, like when a defender has his space and the offensive player creates ALL the contact and they get the whistle, or the blocking call- you'll see one player from a team get called for the block by just getting to close then when the players reverse rolls the other guard can body up on him as hard as he wants-INCONSISTANT.

Listen officials have it hard but they are getting paid, i mean thats there damn job for crying out loud! YOu let some players have a crab dribble lol you let some players get any call they want, you cant even consistanly all a game? If you go into the game saying were gonna let them play then let the play, but once the 4th quarter comes you start calling EVERYTHING!

They are profesionals as well and people pay good money to watch these games and us fans deserve to have the same treatment as any other team or player. They get trained to ref and thats there job so why dont they get held responsible for games like the NFL does? The NFL re-views all games and even fires refs for bad calls.

Rhino
04-13-2009, 12:57 AM

Maybe dictate was a bad choice of word but I'm sure you understand what I mean. To me if you call a foul on one side of the court you damn well better call the same type of foul on the other side if not then you will always have doubt.

See thats the biggest problem consistency and thats why people question the integrity of the sport. Thats why so many believe this game is rigged. I for one don't think its completely rigged but in some instances I'm sure they are told to do certain things or let certain things go. I completely agree with you that it isn't the refs so to speak I think it comes down to Stern and his henchmen he should be held accountable for poor refs. I think it all started with MJ for some reason the game and the way it is called changed.

pd7631
04-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Or how about Kobe Bryant ave 36 point a game tied MJ for 8 consecutive 40+ point game had a 81 point game took a HORRIBLE Lakers team to the playoffs and also took the #1 seed Suns to 8 games by himself and still not get the MVP? Or if you ask a lot of people how about the Kings-Lakers WCF of what 2001? Obvoiusly The Kobe MVP thing isnt a ref thing but people do question the NBA on how the hell is the MVP award really voted?

Wow, Kobe was so good that he got them to add a game to the playoff format?

NFLNBA
04-13-2009, 01:02 AM
Wow, Kobe was so good that he got them to add a game to the playoff format?

LOL you know what i meant, thanks

FIXED

superkegger
04-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Again your making sense, like when a defender has his space and the offensive player creates ALL the contact and they get the whistle, or the blocking call- you'll see one player from a team get called for the block by just getting to close then when the players reverse rolls the other guard can body up on him as hard as he wants-INCONSISTANT.

Listen officials have it hard but they are getting paid, i mean thats there damn job for crying out loud! YOu let some players have a crab dribble lol you let some players get any call they want, you cant even consistanly all a game? If you go into the game saying were gonna let them play then let the play, but once the 4th quarter comes you start calling EVERYTHING!

They are profesionals as well and people pay good money to watch these games and us fans deserve to have the same treatment as any other team or player. They get trained to ref and thats there job so why dont they get held responsible for games like the NFL does? The NFL re-views all games and even fires refs for bad calls.

Yeah, and they do try to be consistent. And for instance, with the crab dribble, when LeBron pulls off that move, in real time, it is so ****ing hard to know. I mean the dude can literally take 2 steps from 2 feet behind the 3pt line and go up for a dunk, all in about a second, while being guarded. Not saying that he should be allowed his crab dribble, but sometimes, its impossible to spot. Flat out, it's just impossible to spot.

And some games, yeah, the refs make questionable calls in the 4th quarter. Many times though (not all the time), I think if we went back and looked at the game tape, we'd see that they didn't make bad calls, or calls they hadn't been making the whole game. Just that in that time period, your big time players, making aggressive moves, are going to get more calls, and other times it's simply that because the moment is magnified, people tend to say they made poor judgement calls.

What needs to happen, is the officials jobs need to be made easier. The league needs to change the rules back to make more contact allowable. They do review every game (in the league office as well as the refs after each game review the game they just reffed), but they do need to have a better accountability system to ensure higher quality officiating.

All I'm saying is the refs aren't the real culprits, its the league and their hope that these high powered offenses and prima dona perimeter players will attract more fans and more revenue, and create superstar players people will pay to see. They saw the success with Michael, and they want to keep that alive.

ttam68
04-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Thats a tough call because its the shot clock, not the game clock so nothing lights up red. And, according to the lead referee it wasn't reviewable.

Also, keep in mind shot clocks don't show tenths of a second.

superkegger
04-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Maybe dictate was a bad choice of word but I'm sure you understand what I mean. To me if you call a foul on one side of the court you damn well better call the same type of foul on the other side if not then you will always have doubt.

See thats the biggest problem consistency and thats why people question the integrity of the sport. Thats why so many believe this game is rigged. I for one don't think its completely rigged but in some instances I'm sure they are told to do certain things or let certain things go. I completely agree with you that it isn't the refs so to speak I think it comes down to Stern and his henchmen he should be held accountable for poor refs. I think it all started with MJ for some reason the game and the way it is called changed.

I can't believe for a second that Stern or the league office, in specific games or series say to let one thing go one way or another, to favor a team. that is downright bull ****. You really think that if that went on, it wouldnt' have leaked by now? Stern has been the commish for like 25 years. You don't think in that time, if he'd been doing that kind of stuff, it would have come out by now? What, does he have the Gestapo as his secret police to keep that under wraps? Come on.

Spurred1
04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
^But that kind of thing should be reviewable, since it decides the outcome of a game.

superkegger
04-13-2009, 01:11 AM
^But that kind of thing should be reviewable, since it decides the outcome of a game.

It should. But its' not the refs fault it's not reviewable...

King Rubio
04-13-2009, 02:03 AM
My favorite part of this is that it was against who else but the KINGS! This crap only feeds the fire that the League hates the Kings (I don't believe, but its hard not to some times). The refs weren't doing their job, they were too focused on whether it was a 3 or not ( they can review that) and not whether he got the shot off in time (they can't review that). If the league changes the rules to say that any game changing plays are reviewable then that would be the second rule added that was a direct result of the Kings getting screwed. I know some of you are saying "the second?" well thats right! Do you know what finally prompted the league to review shots at the end of quarters? 2002 Samaki Walker half time buzzer beater....obviously after the clock but the refs couldn't review. We all know what eventually happened.

Rhino
04-13-2009, 02:21 AM
I can't believe for a second that Stern or the league office, in specific games or series say to let one thing go one way or another, to favor a team. that is downright bull ****. You really think that if that went on, it wouldnt' have leaked by now? Stern has been the commish for like 25 years. You don't think in that time, if he'd been doing that kind of stuff, it would have come out by now? What, does he have the Gestapo as his secret police to keep that under wraps? Come on.

Well I've pretty much stated my case and you've stated yours. I guess we will just agree to disagree. Thats why I have my opinion and you have yours believe what you want. My experience watching games first hand is this league suffers because of its poor officiating. You can call it inconsistency I call it pathedic. I haven't even begun to talk about how so call Superstars of today get specific and special treatment by the refs of this league so that it can maintain it luster. Its a joke and any intelligent basketball fan can see that, sugarcoat it all you want its still a joke plain and simple.

SMS07
04-13-2009, 04:16 AM
My favorite part of this is that it was against who else but the KINGS! This crap only feeds the fire that the League hates the Kings (I don't believe, but its hard not to some times). The refs weren't doing their job, they were too focused on whether it was a 3 or not ( they can review that) and not whether he got the shot off in time (they can't review that). If the league changes the rules to say that any game changing plays are reviewable then that would be the second rule added that was a direct result of the Kings getting screwed. I know some of you are saying "the second?" well thats right! Do you know what finally prompted the league to review shots at the end of quarters? 2002 Samaki Walker half time buzzer beater....obviously after the clock but the refs couldn't review. We all know what eventually happened.

Lol you're right man. The poor kings seem to be one of the teams that's in a lot of these controversial games. They're always on the bad end lol the nba hates the kings! Haha that's pretty funny. Also another team that seems to be in a lot of these controversial games is the lakers, except they're always on the good side. For example, last season when fisher pulled down monta ellis and they called the foul on ellis. Or how about when fisher fouled brent barry at the end of game 5 and there was no call.

King Rubio
04-13-2009, 04:58 AM
Lol you're right man. The poor kings seem to be one of the teams that's in a lot of these controversial games. They're always on the bad end lol the nba hates the kings! Haha that's pretty funny. Also another team that seems to be in a lot of these controversial games is the lakers, except they're always on the good side. For example, last season when fisher pulled down monta ellis and they called the foul on ellis. Or how about when fisher fouled brent barry at the end of game 5 and there was no call.

Coincidence? I think not!

JMedrano2006
04-13-2009, 05:10 AM
By far the worst call of the season, Of course it had to be for the darling spurs, cuz lord forbid they have to face a team away from the river walk when they are not all full strength in the playoffs. LOOK, plain and simple, they cheat, theyve always been cheats, and this just further proves that the league is in love with certain squads, mainly spurs, lakers, celtics, cavs, theyre bread and butter!!!

Joshtd1
04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
Yea it was a bad reffing job. Funny how the Spurs have been screwed over this year by clock issues against Houston and OKC....yet no one talked about those. Guess its because ESPN decided not to show it. Only when it happens FOR the Spurs, is when people talk about it. :rolleyes:

Joshtd1
04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
By far the worst call of the season, Of course it had to be for the darling spurs, cuz lord forbid they have to face a team away from the river walk when they are not all full strength in the playoffs. LOOK, plain and simple, they cheat, theyve always been cheats, and this just further proves that the league is in love with certain squads, mainly spurs, lakers, celtics, cavs, theyre bread and butter!!!

You really believe that? If the NBA was in love with certain teams, why the hell would the Spurs be up there. It must be the big market they are in, or their super flashy exciting team, that all the fans love to watch right?

NFLNBA
04-13-2009, 09:31 AM
This just came to me last night................

The refs can go look at replay anytime they want to review if a basket was a 3 or 2 point shot, but they say they cant go review that basket because time didnt expire yet? BS!

DirkIsTheBest
04-13-2009, 09:33 AM
the officials stole our championship in 2006 !:mad::mad:
The Mavs are the real champions of 2006 ! and Dirk is the real finals MVP of 2006 !

Ironman5219
04-13-2009, 10:56 AM
The officiating the in the NBA does get a lot of bad calls. There is a human factor and the game goes by so fast its impossible to see everything. I'd never want to be a ref. But It's particually frustrating when a superstar (MJ, Kobe, james) gets a soft "touch" foul and goes to the line 20 times a night and another player gets run over and its a no call. Some consistancy would be nice... bring in instrant replay!!!!

OG "Dee" LOCc
04-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah. The officiating sometimes sucks, sometimes is fair. No use in :cry: crying about it.

Though, I will say this: The officiating at The Q is unbearable. I hate watching Cavs home games......but theres no use in crying about it

I'll just wait for the lakers to sweep them :D

Kabowdos
04-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Bad call, but there is nothing you can do about it. Hopefully the league is not rigged. There is this debate in all of sports.

ChitownbullsBG7
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
This stuff amuses me. There are ALWAYS bad fouls that are called and if it is for YOUR team it is always a good call, but if it is AGAINST your team it is a bad call.

That one play didnt cause Sactown to lose the game. i looked at the highlights and i can name numerous plays where Spurs players should have been on the line and they werent called fouls.

Yes they missed a shot clock violation, but so did Sactowns crew that was working the clocks. There is a reason a buzzer goes off at the end of the shotclock. I didnt hear a buzzer. That buzzer is there to help the refs. There is no way they can watch the clock and look for fouls at the same time.

Yes it was a missed call, but like i said there was also NO buzzer.

DerekRE_3
04-13-2009, 01:10 PM
This stuff amuses me. There are ALWAYS bad fouls that are called and if it is for YOUR team it is always a good call, but if it is AGAINST your team it is a bad call.

That one play didnt cause Sactown to lose the game. i looked at the highlights and i can name numerous plays where Spurs players should have been on the line and they werent called fouls.

Yes they missed a shot clock violation, but so did Sactowns crew that was working the clocks. There is a reason a buzzard goes off at the end of the shotclock. I didnt hear a buzzard. That buzzard is there to help the refs. There is no way they can watch the clock and look for fouls at the same time.

Yes it was a missed call, but like i said there was also NO buzzard.

Buzzard? (http://www.discoverituk.plus.com/isleofskye/images/birds/buzzard3_lg.jpg)

ChitownbullsBG7
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Buzzard? (http://www.discoverituk.plus.com/isleofskye/images/birds/buzzard3_lg.jpg)

haha i meant buzzer

DerekRE_3
04-13-2009, 01:26 PM
haha i meant buzzer

Haha I know.

SteveNash
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
If they are going to rig games, why the hell would they wait until the last shot to pull out a bad call?

astrosmaniac
04-13-2009, 05:14 PM
the thing that gets me is that this wasnt a judgement call. this wasnt a was he set or not, this is an issue of looking at the tape, seeing the ball in his hands,and the clock out of time

GspLAL
04-13-2009, 05:26 PM

Do you want them to make it so blatant that everyone starts to question it? No, there has to be a balance.

dtmagnet
04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
The same thing happened to the Raptors in Atlanta last season, 1 second left on the clock they inbound alley-ooped it to TJ Ford who dunked it, but they started the clock before the ball even touched his hands so time expired as he was dunking it, even after review they ruled it no basket and the Raptors lost the game.

Spurred1
04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
The Mavs are the real champions of 2006 ! and Dirk is the real finals MVP of 2006 !

Please stop embarrassing yourself and sane Mavs fans.

lakers4sho
04-13-2009, 07:35 PM
I've been saying this since forever, what we need is a review system like the NFL does, maybe tailor-fit to an NBA game and situation.

G-Funk
04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Any links to it?

Kaptain Kanada
04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
IF there is any sport that is rigged in North America it'd have to be NBA basketball.

mzgrizz
04-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I don't think there is an NBA fan alive who would deny that rookies in particular don't get calls much??? That can easily carry forward to other super players who look protected by the refs to me, and to teams in general. There have been times I thought I was watching the WWF masquerading as the NBA.......and I guess we all know how honest that one is.

theuuord
04-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Do you want them to make it so blatant that everyone starts to question it? No, there has to be a balance.

THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING

:rolleyes:

Kyle N.
04-14-2009, 01:06 AM
It was a terrible call. I don't think it's fixing or cheating or anything. Just a terrible call.

GspLAL
04-14-2009, 03:45 AM
THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING

:rolleyes:

naive?

theimortalone
04-14-2009, 12:21 PM

You sir, are the biggest homer ever! The Mavs choked in the Finals! It was as simple as that! The truth hurts! Wade and the Heat deserved that championship! Get over it. And you guys had the best record in the NBA the following year, and you guys choked the following year against the warriors! :laugh: What was your excuse for that one? :p

theuuord
04-14-2009, 12:28 PM
naive?

realistic.

GspLAL
04-14-2009, 04:20 PM
realistic.

So you don't think sports, which is a business, can be rigged to get better ratings and make more money in a crappy economy? very realistic.

fresh prince
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM

Should we use Robots or Camels instead?

An Ostrich maybe? Just saying either of the 3 could do as good of a job as Dick Bevetta

theuuord
04-14-2009, 06:51 PM
So you don't think sports, which is a business, can be rigged to get better ratings and make more money in a crappy economy? very realistic.

you think there is a league-wide conspiracy, kept quiet by hundreds of high-ranking league officials and referees, to change the outcome of every game of every season, to make sure that these games are close and exciting, but the team the NBA WANTS to win always does?

you think the entire league of referees, who are sorely underpaid and surely under more scrutiny than any player in the sport during every game, has kept this bombshell of a secret for this long from the press? if any one ref leaked that that NBA has been rigged for years, not only would they become an overnight millionaire based upon the weight of the secret alone, but they would expose the biggest scandal in sports since 1919. The sports world would literally completely change.

and you really think because of a bad call here or there in a mostly finely refereed sport - in a sport where the rules are getting more stringent on the availability of instant replay to review plays every year - in a league where there is probably an average of four questionable calls or non-calls in a 180-possession game - that the entire course of refereeing in the NBA is rigged?
and somehow I'M being naive?

wow.

what's next? there are secret "lebron net magnets" in every basketball to help his shooting percentage?
get out of here.

bad calls get made because - wait for it - believe it or not, referees are human. I'm going to repeat that because many people seem to think that cyborgs hellbent on changing the course of basketball history decide one out of every eight possessions. referees are human. sometimes there are bad refs, like Donaghy, who completely subvert the system. But he's currently rotting in jail for it. you really think the NBA is employing a team of cheaters to change the course of the NBA?

the sky is not falling, children. it's a good lesson to learn.