PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the early season and something on Strasburg

Hockeytown
04-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Obviously its too early to really gauge how good we're going to be but its still fun to try.

Starting Pitching
Our starting pitching is surprising me a little bit. So far from what we've seen everyone has looked good, and I'm excluding that first start for Verlander. Today he should have been in longer and only should have been charged with one run but those two errors killed us. Its early but Everette has had some trouble defensively, I'll let it slide with his two RBI's today.

Hitting
Our hitting is solid and is pretty much what I expected. Gerald Laird has really surprised me in a good way. When we signed him I didn't know much about him so I thought it was an ok move. Maybe its just the motivation against his former team but he's looked very good and seems reliable. He seems to call a good game and can move for a catcher. Miggy for MVP, btw.

Bullpen
Relief pitching is and will be the deciding factor for the year, IMO. Rodney has looked good in his two outings and seems to have gotten his velocity back up to the mid 90's instead of low 90's. I like that he dropped the slider.

Ryan Perry still seems like he needs some time and will blow some games or give up some points because of his control but it's no big deal. Hopefully we won't have to test him at closer this year and then let him shine in that spot next year.

Brandon Lyon has only had one appearance so its hard to judge. But he did suck in the first one. Hopefully we won't see that happen again.

Robertson has really impressed me and seems to be pitching really well in the bullpen. We have a very good combo of lefties with him and Seay.

Rincon has pitched a lot and has given up some runs so I don't really have a comment other than that.

I haven't seen/payed attention as much when Bonine's been pitching. I think he's given up some runs but he's still inexperienced so we'll see how he does.

Stephen Strasburg
So I'm sure everyone knows who he is or if you don't he's a great pitching prospect and has unbelievable stuff. Anyway, I noticed the Tigers are 9th in the draft. They are the first team who is willing to pay the big money like the Yankees, Boston, Mets, there aren't many. Supposedly Strasburg is gonna be asking along with Boras for $60 or more. The Nats have the first pick and who knows if they'll take him. It would be uncharacteristic of them paying the big bucks but maybe they'll get serious and say this kid is the real deal. Idk, its just some fun guessing or hoping but if the Nats pass up then Strasburg could slip ala Porcello. With an open paybook to DD I could see us picking him up.

Now I don't know how realistic this is and I'm probably just getting my hopes up but how likely do you think that the Nats slip on him and the Tigers would pick him up and pay him?

What are your thoughts on the season moving forward
What are your guys/girls early thoughts on the season? What's your biggest/least worry?

There hasn't been a lot of discussion on this board like some others I've noticed. We need a game thread or something.

Personally, after this first early part of the season I'm thinking our chances of winning the division are better than I thought they would be.

BrodieONeil
04-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Least concern - hitting (putting up alot of hits with polanco and guillen not hitting that good yet)

Biggest Concern- Bullpen (especially lyon and rincon)

As for Adam Everette, even though its early in the season he has already had 2 errors so if he doesn't turn that around we could be right back to last year at shortstop

Humongo
04-12-2009, 04:13 AM
There is probably a ~10% that the Nats don't draft Strasburg (assuming he's still the consensus top pick come June), and even if they don't there is no way he slips to number 9. The Mariners have the number two pick, and they have just as big a budget as the Tigers. Unless his arm falls off, the Tigers just don't have any realistic chance at landing him.

durtee
04-12-2009, 09:10 AM
So far the season has gone basically as expected for me. Hitting has been good, starting pitching has been a little bit of a surprise, but I expected it to be better this year than last. I really thought that Everett would be better at SS, but I am willing to give him a little more time. The bullpen is a complete disaster and has me on the edge of my seat every night. Rodney has looked very good thus far, but he has a lot more to do to earn back my trust. I really thought that Lyons would be better. At this point we are a .500 ball club and that is what I expected. Hopefully as the season progresses the team will get better and push for an exciting finish.

jsneller1985
04-12-2009, 10:01 AM
you know what made me grin? is the boo's that rincon and LYON got on opening day. That is exactly what they deserve- you don't come in and get the job done, you should be boo'd. you are being paid millions of dollars to get people out, and he didn't do that. WELCOME TO DETROIT. HIS STAT LINE- 1.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 BB's. Wow, nice pick up Dombrowski.

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
There is probably a ~10% that the Nats don't draft Strasburg (assuming he's still the consensus top pick come June), and even if they don't there is no way he slips to number 9. The Mariners have the number two pick, and they have just as big a budget as the Tigers. Unless his arm falls off, the Tigers just don't have any realistic chance at landing him.

Yeah I figured it was just a pipe dream.

I think Stasburg is pretty much unanimous number 1. There is one good site who has Kyle Gibson number one because they have some crazy formula about how complete games make a huge difference.

It was just reported on ESPN by Gammons that the Nats will take Strasburg and try to sign him.

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 10:41 AM
So far the season has gone basically as expected for me. Hitting has been good, starting pitching has been a little bit of a surprise, but I expected it to be better this year than last. I really thought that Everett would be better at SS, but I am willing to give him a little more time. The bullpen is a complete disaster and has me on the edge of my seat every night. Rodney has looked very good thus far, but he has a lot more to do to earn back my trust. I really thought that Lyons would be better. At this point we are a .500 ball club and that is what I expected. Hopefully as the season progresses the team will get better and push for an exciting finish.

Yeah I pretty much feel that way too. I wonder when we give Lyon another shot. In a close game or a blowout.

JMDTM
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
we draft at 9. hes going top 3, probably 1st...for sure 1st

JMDTM
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
we have 2 1st this year(one compensatory pick for the loss of Jamie Walker, who was a type b signing). i say draft a stud SS, with a 1st. pitching is easier to find, because thats all there is in MLB drafts anyways. i say we go out and get a top tier SS so we dont have to search in FA for one every single season, and hope they work out. lets get a guy who will succeed. also in the 2nd-4th, go find yourself a stud third baseman, cause Inge wont be able to get it done forever.

in last years draft we took pitching almost for the whole draft it seemed like it. we have some good guys who i think will make the club next year(Cody Satterwhite, Scott Green, Brett Jacobson). now its time to get some help out off the pitching area. heres my draft for the 1st 3 rounds this year.

1A. Ryan Jackson SS, University of Miami.
1B. Madison Younginer RHP, Mauldin HS, S.C.
2. David Hale RHP, Princeton.
3. Chad Kettler 3B/2B, Coppell HS, Tx.

we get 2 future pitching prospects, along with the 3 we have, not to mention Porcello and Perry. Also we get our SS, and possibly 3B of the future. I must say i like this idea, cause we are weak at SS, and we need a good one. thats probably the 2nd hardest position behind Catcher, and we suck there. we need help. also Inge will not be our long term 3B. Hes good but isnt a great hitter. we go out and pick up a good hitting 3B, and we will be set.

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 03:00 PM
we have 2 1st this year(one compensatory pick for the loss of Jamie Walker, who was a type b signing). i say draft a stud SS, with a 1st. pitching is easier to find, because thats all there is in MLB drafts anyways. i say we go out and get a top tier SS so we dont have to search in FA for one every single season, and hope they work out. lets get a guy who will succeed. also in the 2nd-4th, go find yourself a stud third baseman, cause Inge wont be able to get it done forever.

in last years draft we took pitching almost for the whole draft it seemed like it. we have some good guys who i think will make the club next year(Cody Satterwhite, Scott Green, Brett Jacobson). now its time to get some help out off the pitching area. heres my draft for the 1st 3 rounds this year.

1A. Ryan Jackson SS, University of Miami.
1B. Madison Younginer RHP, Mauldin HS, S.C.
2. David Hale RHP, Princeton.
3. Chad Kettler 3B/2B, Coppell HS, Tx.

we get 2 future pitching prospects, along with the 3 we have, not to mention Porcello and Perry. Also we get our SS, and possibly 3B of the future. I must say i like this idea, cause we are weak at SS, and we need a good one. thats probably the 2nd hardest position behind Catcher, and we suck there. we need help. also Inge will not be our long term 3B. Hes good but isnt a great hitter. we go out and pick up a good hitting 3B, and we will be set.

Cale Iorg is still a really young SS and our number three prospect. I honestly don't know a lot about him but he doesn't seem like anything special. A really good shortstop is important so I still wouldn't mind drafting one in the first few rounds. They're athletic so you can always move them around like Michael Young. I'd really like a speedy, leadoff man out of my shortstop.

But I do agree that we need to get a 3rd baseman. I love Inge and he plays great D but his bat hurts.

A Catcher wouldn't be bad either. I don't know how much to really on Ryan and I don't know if we drafted one last year in the first few rounds.

I still think we will need to get a lot of pitchers. I would like to get a few lefties because right now we're a all lefty rotation.

I'll have to look up the draft and some prospects, namely those, in the next few days.

Looking at one site yesterday the didn't have a highly rated SS or C in the first round. I don't even recall there being one.

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 03:06 PM
On another note Brandon Lyon has pitched well. Its too bad Millwood is dominating our offense.

What's you guys/girls thoughts on Dusty Ryan and his future with us? I didn't get to watch him last year.

JMDTM
04-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Ryan has a bat, he just needs to work on his defense apparently, and theres no reason to pull him up yet. he wouldnt get time here to work on his defense so he stayed at toledo for now

JMDTM
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=det

this is what we did in last years draft

drewstantontime
04-12-2009, 05:21 PM
But I do agree that we need to get a 3rd baseman. I love Inge and he plays great D but his bat hurts.

that ****** bat of Inges has been on fire thus far this season and you can thank his bat for the win today. I wouldnt get rid of him for anything

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 07:26 PM
that ****** bat of Inges has been on fire thus far this season and you can thank his bat for the win today. I wouldnt get rid of him for anything

No doubt he was huge today. But over the years its been nothing special. Maybe he's change this year, I sure hope he has.

michigansports8
04-12-2009, 08:23 PM
we look great the staff bullpen obviously hitting fielding tho weve had some errors granderson inge and everett and miggy at first have made some jaw dropping plays even tho everett and inge had some errors yesterday. but the player whos realy shined to me. is brandon inge. made soem great plays decent averadge right now won the game for us 4 home runs like 7 rbis if he can do half what hes done so far power rbi wise well be one offenseve force to recon with top to bottom with laird and everett batting well or decent. and agin the staff and the bullpens been great so far so well see but im exited.

michigansports8
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM
bye the way hockeytown the reason inge may have been batting better lately is the more even swing hes taken a few up the middle and opposite field the one he hit today was to right so inge may be improveing in turms off leveling the bat a bit and i think that with as much power as he has he can be well suited with his new swing and still hit for power maybe this is the year inge gives us or moneys worth for what we paid for him?:):):):):):)

Hockeytown
04-12-2009, 08:46 PM
bye the way hockeytown the reason inge may have been batting better lately is the more even swing hes taken a few up the middle and opposite field the one he hit today was to right so inge may be improveing in turms off leveling the bat a bit and i think that with as much power as he has he can be well suited with his new swing and still hit for power maybe this is the year inge gives us or moneys worth for what we paid for him?:):):):):):)

I really hope he does. He's probably my second favorite Tiger behind Miggy.

lionsfanphil
04-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I don't want to jump on his bandwagon yet. It seems like he is real streaky. And if i am not mistaken I thought he went on a real hot streak to start the year a couple of years ago. I know he started well but i am not gonna hold my breathe. Although I would love him to prove me wrong and make me eat my words. I do agree that there whole season hinges on there pitching staff. Our offense has had what it takes to get the job done for years. And the couple of real good years we had was when our pitching was good.

levignjw
04-12-2009, 09:20 PM
I am not going to lie that game today really impressed me. To score 6 running in the bottom of the 8th to take the lead is something I have not seen the tigers do in awhile, not to mention Rodney closed the game with no question marks. Obviously the Tiger that has really shined thus far is Miggy, I think he is finally adjusting to the AL pitching and he's really gonna tear it up this year. Besides him though, Brandon Inge is really impressing me. I am hoping this new batting stance he worked on in the off-season is really going to start paying dividends like it has thus far because if he keeps contributing the way he is now, he's really going to help this team do well.

In regards to Everett, I know he's had a couple solid hits, but if his errors continue I got to think Leyland gives Santiago the chance to be the everyday SS because last year he tore it up in spring training and was never given a shot because obviously Guillen was the everyday player. I would really like to see Santiago get a few consecutive starts just to see how he adjusts.

In regards to pitching I think our starters are going to be just fine this year. Verlander seemed to get his control back and Edwin Jackson/Galaragga are both really impressing me. With a little more experience I think Porcello will be able to surprise some people. I am not worried about Rodney, if our bullpen can hold up we'll make a strong run this year.

Lionsforlife
04-13-2009, 07:38 AM
I don't want to jump on his bandwagon yet. It seems like he is real streaky. And if i am not mistaken I thought he went on a real hot streak to start the year a couple of years ago. I know he started well but i am not gonna hold my breathe. Although I would love him to prove me wrong and make me eat my words. I do agree that there whole season hinges on there pitching staff. Our offense has had what it takes to get the job done for years. And the couple of real good years we had was when our pitching was good.

I agree that Inge is a little streaky, but he always has been. I'm giving him credit so far and I expect him to do much better than everyone's expectations. He has always been around a .260 hitter when not catching, but when catching he hits closer to .220 so its easy to forget.

I will take .260 with 20 homers this year from Inge. That would be nice.

JMDTM
04-13-2009, 10:46 AM
id take it to. heres my thing though. if we draft a good SS and 3B, and they move up to AAA quick and are ready for that big leap to the pros, then you package Inge and maybe Raburn up for something good. a pitcher would be nice to put in our pen. i belive Satterwhite i think his name is makes the club next year as a reliever. the guy has some good stuff. Perry and Bonine should be settled in by then, and then our team will look nice.

I just cant wait till Bonderman is back. Then we could package Miner, Raburn, and Inge for possiblly someone pretty good.

Bondomania
04-13-2009, 11:53 AM
As far as the draft talks go...

We have Cale Iorg who has been deemed the SS of the future. He took 2 years off from baseball to go on a mormon missionary thing. So he is still trying to find his swing and continue to get back into baseball. He has as much range as anyone in the system, can hit for power, has speed, and should hit for average eventually. His only problem is that he gets a little amped up during games which can cause him to rush his throws.. which can lead to errors.

At catcher we drafted Alex Avila in the early rounds of last years draft, he is the son of the assistant GM. He has great baseball pedigree, is extremely knowledgable about the game. He just made the switch to catcher a few years ago, but he is really taking to the position..

Strasburg will never fall to us.. sorry to burst the bubble. I really like our chances of grabbing Aaron Crow. He is a good pitcher that the Nats were unable to sign last year because of 500,000 dollars. He could fall to us.. and he is a middle to top of the rotation starter.

On a side note.. our young starters in West Michigan and Lakeland have gotten off to phenominal starts.

Casey Crosby - 5 ip 9 k's 0 BB 0 ER
Mauricio Robles - 5 ip 8 k's 1 BB 1 ER
Charles Furbush - 5 ip 6 k's 0 BB 0 ER
Luke Putkonen - 3.2 ip 3 k's 1 ER

I hate to break it to you.. JMDTM.. you will not be able to package Inge and Raburn for something good.. you might get 1 prospect and that is it. SS is not really a concern in the organization at all at this point. We have Danny Worth at AAA, Cale Iorg at AA, Brandon Douglas at high A. We have a ton of SS prospects that project nicely at the major league level.. and let's not forget about Brent Dlugach.. I would agree that 3B is looking a little thing within our organization, but that being said.. Larish can play 3B everyday in the majors. When Larish went to AFL this fall, scouts raved about his soft hands and ability to handle to position.. More in baseball than any other sport, you draft best player available.. because if you have talent and top prospects.. you can use them to trade for area's of needs in the future.. it isn't like football.. where you draft based on needs. DD's philosophy has always been to draft flamethrowers early in the draft. The exception being Cameron Maybin. But DD drafts those flamethrowers and develops them for a few years and if they can use them in the rotation or BP then they use them.. if not then he will deal them for a guy like Miguel Cabrera. Also, another thing you have to consider.. the organization really lacks SP prospects. We have 2 or 3 that project to be middle to top end starters.. but after that it really falls off badly.. we need to get SP early in the draft, and I believe that that is the direction the Tigers will go in the draft.

Bondomania
04-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah, and i forgot to add Audy Ciriaco to that SS list.. he has probably the highest ceiling of those SS's.. however, he has struggled to progress.. he has hit around .250 the last few seasons. A few scouts though have mentioned that Audy could have a pretty big year and finally build on that potential. So i would definitly say no SS in the first round.

JMDTM
04-13-2009, 12:05 PM
i doubt aaron crow falls to us. i say if anything, our best shot is Andrew Oliver. Guy is a LHP, and a stud. heres his player page.

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=200&ATCLID=746629

and his scouting profile

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=181&f=2336&t=3979493

an im sure Knapp can work on his breaking ball

Bondomania
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I have heard several people say that Crow could fall to us.. If anything i have heard the opposite.. that Oliver could be gone and Crow would be the one to fall to us.. it depends on the stats through the season though.. we really need to get a good college arm if there is one there at 9 worthy of taking.. we need arms that will be ready in a hurry because right now we really lack good starters at the upper level of our system.. but i doubt you see us go SS or 3B anytime early in the draft. We also have a kid in the tigers VSL team name Francisco Martinez i believe.. he is a 3B and he put out some sick numbers for only being 17 last year. He is ranked in the top 20 for all Tigers and once he comes stateside could be the 3B of the future that we are looking for.

Hockeytown
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the good info guys. Yeah I figured that Strasburg thing wouldn't be that realistic but thought I would ask.

I agree we need a starting college pitcher in the first or supplemental part 1b or whatever its called. At one site I've been looking at it has Oliver going in the 20's so that could be a possibility. Josh Spence is a college pitcher (not sure if starter or reliever) that they have going 7 so he could fall.

Bondo, I've never heard of Martinez but if he's only 17 that's still a good 3/4 years at least until he gets up. We would need a good FA or have Inge for that many years.

Tough game today. I think the Sox are probably the front runner in the division right now, IMO. They have good top 3 and if they get anything out of Contreras, or Colon that's really icing on the cake. Should be a really close race this year. Cabrera continues to hammer the ball. Should be a tough game with Porcello facing Danks tomorrow.

Is there anyone who is a highly rated pitcher that might fall like Porcello?

Bondomania
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Martinez is currently in Venezuala thats why you haven't heard of him yet.. he will probably come stateside next year. Here's the thing about 3B... and again this is from what i have heard from scouts.. We have Inge through 2010.. Larish has been working non-stop at 3B to improve his defense at the position. Scouts have reported that he could play that position on a day to day basis. He could provide average defense there right now and if he continues to get time there could eventually provide above average defense there. There really isn't a direct need for a 3B right now. Especially when we have a few guys that could probably shift there eventually once that SS spot is filled by either Iorg/Worth/Ciriaco.

As far as the Sox are concerned.. i am not overly sold on them. Last year a lot of their young pitchers had career years and i doubt some of them repeat. Plus Contreras is garbage no at days.. and really we should have won that game today.. Miner shouldn't have ever gone out for the 4th inning.. he clearly didn't have it today.. plus we were pitching our 5th starter who is really a middle reliever against their #2 starter.. and we still lit him up. Their defense is just alright in my opinion.. especially in their outfield...

Finally, as far as someone falling.. i just don't see it. More and more teams are putting an importance on drafting top talent.. and more teams are spending over slot... so we will see.. probably won't know until draft day though

Hockeytown
04-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Yeah that's true. If Larish improves his D then he could solidify it for a while. A SS moving over is not problem to me. Inge was once a SS.

I think our division is really hard to judge. The Royals, Tigers, Sox, and Twins could win it (the twins pitching looks horrible so they're out for now). I don't think we see a team get 90 wins because we all beat up on each other. Danks, and Floyd might have had career years and Contreras isn't anything good anymore but if they can get a solid play from the four and five they will be good. I think Colon had a good first start this year but he probably won't last he season. They have a good bullpen which is the advantage over us, IMO.

I think the Twins have a good pitching staff but I'm not sure who they have for the 4 and 5 spots. They always seem to just do enough to win and make a good late season surge.

This year should be interesting.

I read the write-up on Oliver and he sounds pretty good. 93 MPH fastball is good for a lefty and you can work on a breaking ball. But if that's the case he might need some extra time in the minors to develop it.

Lionsforlife
04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
Trying to get this back onto just the early thoughts of the season and off of the draft a little bit, but I have to say that I feel we are in pretty good shape all the way around-so far.

Our two biggest slumps at the plate are coming from Granderson and Guillen, who you know both will rebound. Anderson has looked good after a small slump at the plate in his first couple of games and could really push for a permanent starting spot in my mine. Outside Verlander, the starters have looked decent enough (outside of Miners last outing) especially Galaragga and the bullpen, although struggling slightly early, looks to be much improved from last year.

Maybe I'm being really optimistic and maybe I'm not seeing everything, but I have some faith this year that we will be much improved. I don't know about contenders yet, but our division really is a crapshoot.

Bondomania
04-15-2009, 03:56 PM
i agree.. our rotation looks pretty strong.. our defense is much improved.. if our bullpen can hold it down then we have a pretty good chance at winning the division.. our offense is good already as we all know

JMDTM
04-15-2009, 05:25 PM
if we can find a good hitting SS to fill in for next year, and maintain the same lineup and everything, and get our bullpen a little better, this is a championship team. Seriously, i can handle Inge at 3rd, cause he has sick stuff. im sure you all saw his play today against the sox. great play!! I hope Iorg(i think its his name, i dont know a lot on the guy though) can come through as a good SS, cause that would really help us. Also, i think its time Maggs gets out of the outfield. I think if he was to be our DH, we would be a lot better.

After the season move Maggs to DH. Deal Guillen. We have 4 outfielders to look at for the starting spots in LF and RF(Josh Anderson, Casper Wells, Wilikin Ramirez, and Clete Thomas). That leaves us with good possibilities in the OF. Then Maggs can focus on hitting, and do better at the plate. And like i said, if Iorg can step up, or even Santiago, then ill be happy, and this would be a championship caliber team.

Hockeytown
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
if we can find a good hitting SS to fill in for next year, and maintain the same lineup and everything, and get our bullpen a little better, this is a championship team. Seriously, i can handle Inge at 3rd, cause he has sick stuff. im sure you all saw his play today against the sox. great play!! I hope Iorg(i think its his name, i dont know a lot on the guy though) can come through as a good SS, cause that would really help us. Also, i think its time Maggs gets out of the outfield. I think if he was to be our DH, we would be a lot better.

After the season move Maggs to DH. Deal Guillen. We have 4 outfielders to look at for the starting spots in LF and RF(Josh Anderson, Casper Wells, Wilikin Ramirez, and Clete Thomas). That leaves us with good possibilities in the OF. Then Maggs can focus on hitting, and do better at the plate. And like i said, if Iorg can step up, or even Santiago, then ill be happy, and this would be a championship caliber team.

I definitely agree. I don't know how much we can trust one of those four outfielders though. If we could get a solid free agent there it would be good for a year or two but I don't know who's out there.

Then the closer spot needs to be solidified. Either Perry or Zumaya need to step up and be the man next year.

dddtfan
04-16-2009, 10:35 AM
This is what I think is funny, a year or 2 ago, the Rangers had one of the worst rated minor league systems in all of MLB. Now, in the blink of an eye, they are rated either #1 or near that. Our farm gets no credit, but look at all the names thrown around in this thread, and it seems to me that our farm system is nowhere near as bad as its rating.

We have a lot of pitchers (starting and relief), a good bunch of young outfielders, between Scott Sizemore, Will Rhymes, and Cale Iorg, that is a healthy bunch of middle infield prospects and doesn't even account for them all.

We have plenty of talent on the farm, and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we dealt some of it for a proven major leaguer, if a need for one arises during the season.

The only person I don't want to see traded at the moment is Casey Crosby. I know there is another big left handed starter on the farm somewhere who's name I'm missing at the moment, I'd like it if we didn't trade him either. I think I'd be okay with either one of Caspar Wells or Wilkin Ramirez being dealt, but not both.

Bondomania
04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Mauricio Robles is the other power lefty in the system.. he pitches for West Michigan.. 93-96 and he is really developing nicely. Last year he gained a few MPH on his fastball and struggled to command it.. this year he off to a nice start

drewstantontime
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
am I the only 1 that would like to see a little change in position and starters? Make Guillen our DH and let Anderson start in LF. Then move Santiago into the starting lineup and allow him to split time with Everett

batting order

Granderson CF
Polanco 2nd
Ordonez RF
Cabrera 1st
Guillen DH
Laird C
Inge 3rd
Anderson LF
Santiago SS

Bondomania
04-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I think that is the best lineup we can throw out there on a night to night basis..

Hockeytown
04-18-2009, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a little more of Anderson. He seems to be playing well in his opportunities. And then I agree 100% with Santiago over Everett.

Tough night tonight. Verlander was pitching so well too.

dddtfan
04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
I think that is the best lineup we can throw out there on a night to night basis..

I think the best lineup against right handed pitching involves Anderson leading off, Granderson hitting 5th in Guillens spot, the DH spot drops to the 6th spot being filled by Thames and Larish, and Guillen finds himself in another uniform.

drewstantontime
04-19-2009, 07:03 PM
I think the best lineup against right handed pitching involves Anderson leading off, Granderson hitting 5th in Guillens spot, the DH spot drops to the 6th spot being filled by Thames and Larish, and Guillen finds himself in another uniform.

I agree and disagree. Anderson leading off would be nice if he keeps up his hitting and so far it looks like this kid can flat out play. He would be a great leadoff hitter. Granderson sliding down to the #5 spot is an excellent idea. With all his doubles and triples this guy would be hitting you 100 RBIs yearly. But as far as Guillen goes, hes off to a slow start sure, but he can hit. Dont let the first couple games make you forget that. Guillen can hit and hes a switch hitter which in todays MLB, is huge. I dont wanna see Guillen go anywhere.

Hockeytown
04-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I know its still early but I have made up my mind. Santiago needs to be starting at SS. Much better offensively, and is still a good defender. And then, Anderson needs to be playing at least 50/60 percent of our games. He's our second best defensive outfielder, has the best speed, and can hit. I know its too early to make any judgments but the way they have been playing I think they deserve it.