PDA

View Full Version : How can we fix this mess with the way awards are given out?

Chronz
04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
I was reading an interview with Shane Battier on SI and this really popped out at me.

SN: Those of us in the media take a lot of heat from fans for not knowing what we're doing when it comes to voting for the league awards. But I was looking, and, as good as you are defensively, you've only made the All-Defensive team -- which is voted on by coaches -- once, last year. That was a surprise to me, that you haven't been on it more.

Battier: My first two years in the league, I understood, because I was young and still learning. But after my third year in the league, I thought I had been playing pretty good defense and I still didn't make it.
(Note: After his 3rd year the Grizz went from being ranked 20-28th defensively, to 11th, 5th, 2nd in the ensuing years, resulting in ZERO Recognition from the coaches, meanwhile the Media has atleast recognized him for some of the DPOY shares)
I was disappointed, but I said to myself, "You know what, if I let this bother me every year, I am going to set myself up for a lot of disappointment." So, I put it behind me and I honestly have not worried about it since. It would be great if it happens, but I think what happens is, if there are a few more stories in the paper about your defense, if there are more talking heads mentioning it on TV, your chances go up.

SN: To me, the lesson is, the media aren't so bad at picking awards.
Battier: No, you guys do a pretty good job at it.

It seems to me people always complain about how the media awards anyone, yet never offer any sort of solution. The common copout was to leave it up to the coaches but they can take even longer in recognizing a players worth, besides they concern themselves with their team and their team alone, they dont really have the time to analyze the league as a whole and since most coaches are fired within years do you really want them defining who wins what if they cant even keep the powers that allow them to do so?

So this leaves me with 1 balanced medium, they're still members of the media but they arent the ones who cover everything related to the NBA, only their teams. Im talking about broadcasters, the way I see it, they get paid to watch their team play every other team and I dont know about your announcers but Lawler and Smith very bright when it comes to knowing their players and how they play against other players.

Just the other day they praised Kwame Brown's post defense when very few analyst praise anything Kwame related. Sure some are biased but they are biased for their own teams, if you restrict their votes to players outside their own team it atleast eliminates most of the bias. We should still allow some portion of the votes by a larger audience of the media, but what about scouts? They get paid to analyze players, shouldnt they have some power.

What do you guys think?

superkegger
04-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I agree with your assesment. Broadcasters voting for it would makes sense, as long as they're not allowed to vote for their own teams players. However, I think you're still going to get a certain amount of star bias that way. I think if they widen the pool of who votes for it, to more broadcasters and writers, you'd have a smaller margin for error, and I think you'd get the right guys being voted to the right positions.

Perhaps the players should get a vote of some kind as well. I mean, who knows better than them about who plays good defense? Right?

I think they also need to define what each award is about, as with the MVP, that's where most of the controversey comes in.

DenButsu
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I'd agree, on the condition that local broadcasters are not allowed to vote for their own teams, since so many local broadcasters are very homeristic.

superkegger
04-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I'd agree, on the condition that local broadcasters are not allowed to vote for their own teams, since so many local broadcasters are very homeristic.

I think that would be a given. Coaches aren't allowed to vote for their own players right? So it would only logically that local broadcasters couldn't vote for their team.

Hawkeye15
04-10-2009, 10:24 PM
I would agree with that, as well as the players themselves voting for it.