PDA

View Full Version : Coaches for Hire

superkegger
04-10-2009, 11:57 AM
YahooSports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An2h1dwBlTjdqPn0F2xRpmm8vLYF?slug=aw-nbacoaches040909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

This spring, there are three unemployed coaches who’ll command the most money – Flip Saunders, Eddie Jordan and Avery Johnson. Playoff success will pay, but assistants who move up into top jobs, one Eastern Conference executive said, “can expect strong lockout language in their contracts.”

There's bound to be some coaching changes this offseason, and with the state of the economy, just like with players, teams aren't going to be willing to spend as much on coaches.

With guys like Flip, Eddie and Avery still available, who will command a good deal of money, and others in waiting to become head coaches like Thibideau (sp?) and others, it will be an interesting off season.

Do you see guys like Flip, Avery, Eddie getting jobs. Jeff Van Gundy is also still out there. Guys like Fratello, Collins, Hubie Brown, among others, while seemingly more comfortable just announcing, are still options.

What teams do you see hiring new coaches, and who? Will the economic downturn play a part in this as well, even though coaches don't coung against the cap and don't figure into luxury tax equations?

Steven A. Smith
04-10-2009, 01:59 PM
YahooSports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=An2h1dwBlTjdqPn0F2xRpmm8vLYF?slug=aw-nbacoaches040909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

There's bound to be some coaching changes this offseason, and with the state of the economy, just like with players, teams aren't going to be willing to spend as much on coaches.

With guys like Flip, Eddie and Avery still available, who will command a good deal of money, and others in waiting to become head coaches like Thibideau (sp?) and others, it will be an interesting off season.

Do you see guys like Flip, Avery, Eddie getting jobs. Jeff Van Gundy is also still out there. Guys like Fratello, Collins, Hubie Brown, among others, while seemingly more comfortable just announcing, are still options.

What teams do you see hiring new coaches, and who? Will the economic downturn play a part in this as well, even though coaches don't coung against the cap and don't figure into luxury tax equations?

I wished the Knicks signed him instead of D'antoni, Yeah I think Younger Teams like [Thunder,Grizzles,Wolves] will try and get a veteran coach with play-off experience to help their team move forward.

OG "Dee" LOCc
04-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Patrick Ewing should come to the knicks to help out our big men....once we get one lol

superkegger
04-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I really think that with what happened in Detroit this year, Flip Saunders looks like a really good coach (I know there are some other reasons for their demise, but still). I would quite frankly be surprised if he doesn't get a job somewhere this offseason.

Lebron23
04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I love to see Avery Johnson Coach the Pistons next season.

GoatMilk
04-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Clippers need Mo Cheeks IMO

BrizzleBear
04-19-2009, 02:10 AM
I've been saying the Bulls need to Sign Avery in the Off-Season but I think after making the playoffs he has at least next year.

sacgiants1213
04-19-2009, 02:12 AM
eddie jordan will probably coach the kings next year. Bringing pete carril back may be a hint that Eddie is the next coach.

SMS07
04-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Reggie Theus also. The poor guy did pretty well in his 1st year in sacramento and got fired for no reason barely into his 2nd year. Look at them now, NBA's worst team

sacgiants1213
04-19-2009, 02:16 AM
we woulda been the worst team whether theus was fired or not.

DreamShaker
04-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Saunders has...or will soon sign with the Wizards from what I hear....saw it on ESPN and NBA TV:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4066231

Hellcrooner
04-19-2009, 03:00 AM
I really hope some of the teams that have aproached Ettore Messina (Nets, Bucks, Raptors) takes the Bold step to be the first team to hire a foreign Head coach.

Its time for the next step of globalitation and he is as ready as anybody to take the job.

And well...Dantoni had his first coaching jobs in Italy so ,it works ...sorta.

DreamShaker
04-19-2009, 03:08 AM
I don't think the economy will have an affect on the coaching situation...if not for the 2010 thing it would have had less of an affect this season IMO...the teams that are losing money are losing money because their teams are garbage and nobody is coming to the arenas. The Pacers and Kings are in the most trouble of anyone...because as good as Danny Granger and Kevin Martin are...nobody wants to see them on crappy teams. They also have no young players to get overly excited about.

Now getting back to coaching...I just see the revolving door continue. With Flip going to the Wiz...the Kings, Wolves, Grizz, and Pistons are likely to get new coaches at least. JVG is staying put I believe. Avery is the only guy I could see leaving ESPN...

DerekRE_3
04-19-2009, 04:00 AM
I don't think the economy will have an affect on the coaching situation...if not for the 2010 thing it would have had less of an affect this season IMO...the teams that are losing money are losing money because their teams are garbage and nobody is coming to the arenas. The Pacers and Kings are in the most trouble of anyone...because as good as Danny Granger and Kevin Martin are...nobody wants to see them on crappy teams. They also have no young players to get overly excited about.

Now getting back to coaching...I just see the revolving door continue. With Flip going to the Wiz...the Kings, Wolves, Grizz, and Pistons are likely to get new coaches at least. JVG is staying put I believe. Avery is the only guy I could see leaving ESPN...

Spencer Hawes? Jason Thompson? Hawes has so far outproduced Greg Oden and is still just 20 years old. He already has a good amount of moves in the post and his range extends to the 3 point line. Oh and...he's a legit 7 footer. Thompson has the size (6'11 250) and can run the floor as well as anyone at his position. He has nice touch from mid range, and as soon as he slows down, he will be very good.

RISE UP
04-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Avery Johnson is an amazing coach. I met him once at a team banquet when he was in GS and he was an intelligent, intense, yet humble guy.

GSW fan
04-19-2009, 04:33 AM
sam mitchell will find a home with a young team. I wouldnt mind him coming to the warriors and be an assistant this year, and taking over when nelsons contract is up

todu82
04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Avery Johnson or Reggie Theus coaching the Raptors next season.

PennyMy#1
04-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Yes. Avery Johnson is a good guy. He can bring a lot of improvement to young team.

DreamShaker
04-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Spencer Hawes? Jason Thompson? Hawes has so far outproduced Greg Oden and is still just 20 years old. He already has a good amount of moves in the post and his range extends to the 3 point line. Oh and...he's a legit 7 footer. Thompson has the size (6'11 250) and can run the floor as well as anyone at his position. He has nice touch from mid range, and as soon as he slows down, he will be very good.

See...we are not casual fans. I am excited about the future of Aaron Brooks but nobody outside of Houston nationally really knows who he is. I am referencing guys that are on the radar nationally. Guys like Durant and Bealsey...I'm not discounting Hawes or Thompson....I'm just saying the casual Kings fan isn't jumping for joy over those two saving the franchise, ya dig?

DerekRE_3
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
See...we are not casual fans. I am excited about the future of Aaron Brooks but nobody outside of Houston nationally really knows who he is. I am referencing guys that are on the radar nationally. Guys like Durant and Bealsey...I'm not discounting Hawes or Thompson....I'm just saying the casual Kings fan isn't jumping for joy over those two saving the franchise, ya dig?

Yeah I understand your point. But at this point, I don't think there are any casual Kings fans left. If you still watch the Kings, I doubt you are the average/casual fan.

Oh and by the way, speaking of Aaron Brooks...love the guy. He was a great pick for you guys. I also liked the trade for Kyle Lowry, he could be pretty good as well. Brooks is lightning quick, and Lowry is quick too, but is a little more built than Brooks. I like the future combination of those two guards.

DreamShaker
04-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Yeah I understand your point. But at this point, I don't think there are any casual Kings fans left. If you still watch the Kings, I doubt you are the average/casual fan.

Oh and by the way, speaking of Aaron Brooks...love the guy. He was a great pick for you guys. I also liked the trade for Kyle Lowry, he could be pretty good as well. Brooks is lightning quick, and Lowry is quick too, but is a little more built than Brooks. I like the future combination of those two guards.

Yeah I'm high on both of them...so how would you want for the Kings coaching wise?? And if yall guys get the number one pick...would you trade down and get Rubio or draft Griffin even with all the bigs??

IrespectNumber3
04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Yes. Avery Johnson is a good guy. He can bring a lot of improvement to young team.

No...an established team with playoff troubles...Yes

See Devin Harris

DerekRE_3
04-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah I'm high on both of them...so how would you want for the Kings coaching wise?? And if yall guys get the number one pick...would you trade down and get Rubio or draft Griffin even with all the bigs??

Well, Rubio may not even declare, because it would cost him 8 mil to get a buyout with his euroleague team. The Kings would only be able to pay 500,000 of that 8 mil, so that leaves Rubio paying the other $7.5 mil. I'd pick Griffin, since guys can always be traded. And having 3 young talented bigs is never a bad thing. Especially since Thompson lead the league in fouls despite not being a starter for half the year.

DreamShaker
04-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, Rubio may not even declare, because it would cost him 8 mil to get a buyout with his euroleague team. The Kings would only be able to pay 500,000 of that 8 mil, so that leaves Rubio paying the other $7.5 mil. I'd pick Griffin, since guys can always be traded. And having 3 young talented bigs is never a bad thing. Especially since Thompson lead the league in fouls despite not being a starter for half the year.

On the "who's in and who's out" list on ESPN.com he was recently added...which is confusing because A. He was not on that list before and B. No big deal was made of it if he did indeed declare.

DerekRE_3
04-19-2009, 05:32 PM
On the "who's in and who's out" list on ESPN.com he was recently added...which is confusing because A. He was not on that list before and B. No big deal was made of it if he did indeed declare.

Yeah I really have no idea what's gonna happen with him. Regardless of whether he's in or out, I think Petrie will get us a good player. He has a pretty good track record in the draft. His only mistake in the last 10 years has been Quincy Douby (19th overall). But besides that you have...

Peja-14th overall
Jason Williams-7th overall (used him to acquire Mike Bibby)
Hedo Turkoglu-16th overall
Gerald Wallace-25th overall
Kevin Martin-26th overall
Francisco Garcia-23rd overall
Spencer Hawes-10th overall
Jason Thompson- 12th overall

There are some great picks there, despite only having one pick in the top 10. Even though this year is a weak draft, I'm sure Petrie will get 2 good players with our 3 picks in the top 31 picks.

raptor fan
04-19-2009, 07:20 PM
sam mitchell will probably become the t-wolves coach

IversonIsKrazy
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
For the teams that i like, the only ones that need a new coach are Raps.

They need a defensive-minded coach. Flip is gone, Avery isnt going to come. Brown has health issues. I luv Jeff VAn Gundy for us, i thin khe would be great.

JEFF VAN GUNDY TO RAPTORS!

And for Bulls, Vinny is a horrible coach. but i doubt u guys will get a new coach. But im not sure on who, kuz look how good Devin Harris is w/o Avery, dont want Rose to do not as good because of Avery. Not sure who would be good for Bulls

bahama0811
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
If the Nuggets don't make it out of the first round George Karl may come available. Let's hope it doesn't come to that though.

DerekRE_3
04-19-2009, 07:55 PM
For the teams that i like, the only ones that need a new coach are Raps.

They need a defensive-minded coach. Flip is gone, Avery isnt going to come. Brown has health issues. I luv Jeff VAn Gundy for us, i thin khe would be great.

JEFF VAN GUNDY TO RAPTORS!

And for Bulls, Vinny is a horrible coach. but i doubt u guys will get a new coach. But im not sure on who, kuz look how good Devin Harris is w/o Avery, dont want Rose to do not as good because of Avery. Not sure who would be good for Bulls

If you are talking about Larry Brown, not only is he already the head coach of the Bobcats, he doesn't have any health issues anymore.