PDA

View Full Version : Jacobs sits out game 3

Cooper
04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
CHICAGO -- Royals manager Trey Hillman did his first lineup shuffle of the new season, notably putting first baseman Mike Jacobs on the bench.

Instead, Billy Butler played first base, with Jose Guillen moving into the designated hitter role and Willie Bloomquist starting in right field.

The Jacobs move was prompted because Chicago started left-hander John Danks, and Jacobs, who swings left, has had some trouble with lefties in the past.

"I did a drive-by with Jake this morning," Hillman said. "It's really not a confidence issue, left on left. It's an issue with Danks' ability with his second pitches. They can really be tough on left-handed hitters if they've never had an opportunity to see him."

"I told Jake to get some studying in and we'll see how the lineup goes today."

When the Royals open the Kansas City part of their season, they'll face two New York left-handers, Andy Pettitte and CC Sabathia.

"We'll see what we do after today," Hillman said. "I'm really not fearful about putting Jake out there. It really depends on the secondary stuff of the lefty."

Also on Thursday, John Buck got his first start at catcher, replacing Miguel Olivo.

"Day game after a night game," Hillman said. "We're going to use John, and I'm excited to see it because we all see a better swing. And we all know he does a good job running a ballgame."

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.