PDA

View Full Version : Who should be Coach of the Year?

ragee
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Should it be Mike Brown or Phil Jackson because they have the 2 best records? I don't think so... They have a very deep roster and great superstars like Lebron, Kobe, Gasol, Mo Williams...

I think it should be Stan van Gundy... I don't know if I am being biased... What do you guys think?

abe_froman
04-08-2009, 05:55 PM
sloan

29$JerZ
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
I'll pick a dark horse and say Nate Mcmillan

LayZbone
04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd love for SVG or Spoelstra to get it, but I think it'll go to Mike Brown.

bahama0811
04-08-2009, 05:59 PM
George Karl, there were a lot of people to begin the season that didn't even think the Nuggs would make the playoffs. Now they are in the 2nd seed in the West.

ATX
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Nate McMillan

Ironman5219
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
Salon is in the hall of fame, and never got coach of the year.... longest coach to stay with a franchise in NBA History, I believe he only had 1 or 2 losing season's a Utah's coach. This year he has his time making the TOUGH western confrense playoff with all of his star players being out with an injury for an extended period of time. That shows briliant coaching.... its due time for Salon to take it!

Hawkeye15
04-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Jerry Sloan tops my list until he gets one. The fact that he has never won it shows how worthless the award is.

GspLAL
04-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Sloan or Pop because they had to deal with all those injuries.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Sloan or Pop because they had to deal with all those injuries.

not to get off subject, but I just noticed the quote you have on your sig. Did someone actually say Kobe and Redd were more comparable than Kobe and Wade??? hahaha, that is awesome

GspLAL
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
not to get off subject, but I just noticed the quote you have on your sig. Did someone actually say Kobe and Redd were more comparable than Kobe and Wade??? hahaha, that is awesome

Lol yeah and funny thing is look at his username.

Hawkeye15
04-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Lol yeah and funny thing is look at his username.

hahahaha, that makes it even better!

still1ballin
04-08-2009, 07:07 PM
sloan

dre1990
04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
George Karl, Sloan cant get his team to win on the rode

Bucsfan
04-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Sloan, i mean the guy is in the HOF and he has never won coy?

he has struggled on the road, but im not sold on the fact that its his fault or just lazy players, cause back in the 90's the jazz were awesome on the road, of course i am a little biased because i am a jazz fan but cmon!!! he has not dont bad considering all the injuries

I would say SVG or Mike Brown besides that

macc
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
SVG, noone expected the Magic to be an elite team this fast. Esp considering this is SVG 2nd year as their head coach.

VCaintdead17
04-08-2009, 09:35 PM
SVG, Sloan or Nate

Jacob K.
04-09-2009, 12:13 AM
Sloan, i mean the guy is in the HOF and he has never won coy?
he has struggled on the road, but im not sold on the fact that its his fault or just lazy players, cause back in the 90's the jazz were awesome on the road, of course i am a little biased because i am a jazz fan but cmon!!! he has not dont bad considering all the injuries

I would say SVG or Mike Brown besides that

who cares? you dont win it becuase its your "turn" you win it because of what youve done for your team. sure maybe he should have won it before, but he shouldnt get it this year just because its his turn.

Sports Illustrator
04-09-2009, 12:16 AM
Nate Mcmillan. He's done a terrific job in the development of each one of the players of his team. Expect them to continue to improve more and more under coach Nate Mcmillian.

Game_Over
04-09-2009, 12:33 AM
I agree Sloan shouldn't get it, you have to be able to win a couple road games!!

superkegger
04-09-2009, 12:37 AM
A couple guys I think are worthy.

George Karl- While Chauncey has been important, I think Karl's coaching has been just as influential. It's one thing to have a good player added, and another to use him right, Karl has.

Stan Van Gundy is worthy for taking that team to elite status, even with Jameer going down, quite impressive.

Nate McMillan- We've seen how easy it is for young talented teams to not take the next step is, (see Chicago Bulls), but Nate didn't let that happen, has handled the whole Oden situation very well, and now has his team in 3rd place in the West, veyr impressive.

Jerry Sloan- While he was my leading candidate earlier, this team was good last year, and while they've had injuries, and how they've been able to get through them is quite the coaching job by sloan, their biggest hurdle of the past few years, not bieng able to win on the road, is still there, and when you can't overcome a hurdle year after year, it's hard to say you've done the best coaching job to me. :shrug:

Mike D'antoni- While it can't be all that hard to turn around a disaster of a team, he's done so pretty well, in a tough situation. They won't make the playoffs, or really come all that close, but he's clearly done a good job, with quite frankly, not a whole lot of talent. Especially since it seems like management has pretty much given up on the present and planned only for the summer of 2010, I've got to give Mike his props.
Scotty Brooks- Who? Yeah, Scotty Brooks, of the Thunder. Tough spot to be in, but given what he's got, and how he came into the job, I'd say he's done a good job. He's definitely not worthy of winning the award, not at all, but I think he should at least be mentioned.

Mike Woodson- You know, he's got the same team from last year, minus Josh Childress, and they're better. That's pretty impressive. Especially when your star forward supposedly hates you and always has. I'm pretty impressed by the job he's done.

Guys who will be mentioned, but I don't feel are the most worthy candidates.

Mike Brown- While I'm sure he's done a fine job coaching, fact is, he has more talent around LeBron than ever before, and I question whether it's his coaching or the addition of Mo Williams that's made the bigger difference. I'm leaning towards Mo.

Spoelstra- You can point to the win total from last year, and then this year, and say he's done a phenomenal job. He also added the #2 overall pick and a healthy Dwyane Wade. While I'm sure he's done a fine job as coach, I'd like to see just how good his coaching really is for another year, or two before I'm going to say he did the best coaching job in the league.

Larry Brown- His name is going to come up, and I don't know why. The Cats made a push for the playoffs and are going to come up short. As of now, they have only 3 more wins than last year, with 4 game sto go. I'm sure we'll hear something about how they've really improved, but in reality, it hasn't turned in a different result, is that really recognition worthy?

CP3 The Great
04-09-2009, 12:43 AM
George Karl

Raoul Duke_91
04-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Vinny Del Negro........oh wait Nvm I thought this was the Which Coach Should Be Fired First for Being a Moron Thread...my bad

Id like to see Stan the man win it tho. even with Jameer Nelson going down hes kept that squad rollin

Bulls4Lyfe
04-09-2009, 12:57 AM
SVG, no doubt

IrespectNumber3
04-09-2009, 12:59 AM

hell no...spoelstra did get the heat in the playoff race...but he didn't know how to use the number 2 pick right with the team they had

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:07 AM
I'll pick a dark horse and say Nate Mcmillan

Yeah... If the team can go up to at least the 3rd spot, he is going to be my pick too... Coaching a young team and actually win a lot of games is hard...

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Yeah, Spoelstra needs honorable mention especially if the heat can go up to number 4...

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:09 AM
George Karl, there were a lot of people to begin the season that didn't even think the Nuggs would make the playoffs. Now they are in the 2nd seed in the West.

I think its more of a Chauncey then George Karl...

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:11 AM
Jerry Sloan tops my list until he gets one. The fact that he has never won it shows how worthless the award is.

Wow, I did not know that... How the hell could a great coach such as Sloan not win a coach of the year award?! Heck, they should make a coach of the decade and give it to him!

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:17 AM
hell no...spoelstra did get the heat in the playoff race...but he didn't know how to use the number 2 pick right with the team they had

Wait, what do you mean? He does not know how to use their 2nd pick Beasley or they shouldn't have picked Beasley?

superkegger
04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Yeah... If the team can go up to at least the 3rd spot, he is going to be my pick too... Coaching a young team and actually win a lot of games is hard...

Yeah, Spoelstra needs honorable mention especially if the heat can go up to number 4...

I think its more of a Chauncey then George Karl...

Wow, I did not know that... How the hell could a great coach such as Sloan not win a coach of the year award?! Heck, they should make a coach of the decade and give it to him!

Wait, what do you mean? He does not know how to use their 2nd pick Beasley or they shouldn't have picked Beasley?

You know you can multi quote messages, its the button right next to the quote button, instead of posting 5 times...

ragee
04-09-2009, 01:35 AM
You know you can multi quote messages, its the button right next to the quote button, instead of posting 5 times...

Oh.... I am manually doing it so it takes too long... My bad! Tnx!:D

CP3 The Great
04-09-2009, 03:00 AM
in that same case you can definately make an argument for mike brown he has the best (statistical) team in the NBA and most of the time thats how it goes the cavs have improved alot and i believe they have the 2009 season MVP

GregOden#1
04-09-2009, 03:15 AM
Funny how most Blazers fans hope McMillan gets fired...

JNore151
04-09-2009, 04:09 AM
larry brown or scott stiles

bctgg27
04-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Going with Mike Woodson

fredv
04-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Rick Adelman:

No Tmac. No Rafer. Sophmore PG. No problem.

JJ81
04-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Pjax should at least be in the discussion

todu82
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
The coach in Miami. That team has played really well this season and he deserves some of the credit.

jimbobjarree
04-09-2009, 10:07 AM
yah Spoelstra or Brown

JayW_1023
04-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Spoelstra definately deserves it...he has a mid playoff seed with a severely flawed team. He has also demanded the respect of his superstar. For a rookie coach he has done a brilliant job.

EX-TREME
04-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Svg

bogmon
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
I'll pick a dark horse and say Nate McMillan

I fully agree with this one...the Blazers have played way beyond expectations and I firmly believe that it has to do with his coaching...
Their record has improved by 9+ games every year since he has been the coach.
They are the second youngest team in the league and yet they are currently tied for third in the West....that has alot to do with Nate and his system.

cmacmath
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
1. George Karl - I know Chauncey helps, but to have the 2 seed wit the talent on that team is truly remarkable, he finally got them to play SOME defense

2. Mike Woodson - Has them probably over achieving and doing it all with Josh Smith hating him and wanting him fired and not really producing as well as he has in the past

3. Nate McMillan - We all kind of expected to see the Blazers here, but that still doesn't mean its not impressive since its such a young team and sometimes its hard to meet expectations

4. Stan Van Gundy - Of the "elite" teams he probably has the least impressive line up, still not a believer they are a contender tho because of their style of play...you live and DIE by the 3 in the playoffs

5. Rick Adelman - While I am a believer that any team is better without McGrady so I don't buy into that, I am still incredibly impressed that he has turned guys like Landry, Hayes, Brooks (now a starter), Wafer into one of the deepest benches in the league, these guys were not house hold names coming in to the NBA

theimortalone
04-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Mike Brown - The cavs record doesn't lie. Mike Brown for COY. He deserves it!

ragee
04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Mike Brown - The cavs record doesn't lie. Mike Brown for COY. He deserves it!

Nah... Lebron deserves the MVP... Not Mike Brown for COY...

Steven A. Smith
04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Its probably going to be either Phil Jackson or Mike Brown but George Karl is my pick [If I had one] They're a few wins away from their franchise record and this from not making the playoffs last year [Correct me if I'm wrong <---]to the as of right now #2 seed, Thank you Mr. Big Shot.

grantslammer123
04-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Adelman, he has no McGrady.

ragee
04-10-2009, 02:30 AM
Its probably going to be either Phil Jackson or Mike Brown but George Karl is my pick [If I had one] They're a few wins away from their franchise record and this from not making the playoffs last year [Correct me if I'm wrong <---]to the as of right now #2 seed, Thank you Mr. Big Shot.

I think it is not fair to give it to either of the two... With their lineup, even del negro can get them to that kind of record!

Chaps
04-10-2009, 03:31 AM
Phil Jackson

Tom81
04-10-2009, 03:35 AM
Mike Brown

goku
04-10-2009, 04:09 AM
rick aldeman he has the rockets at the 3rd spot after mcgrady goes done artest misses games battier out for the first month and trading rafer letting a second year pg takeover

brandt
04-10-2009, 04:43 AM
Adelman, he has no McGrady.

Agreed, and they continue to win against good teams. They even managed to win when Carl Landry was out too.

SMS07
04-10-2009, 05:46 AM
rick adelman

JakeDelbreezy
04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I don't know if he should win coach of the year, but Larry Brown should get a little consideration...

IrespectNumber3
04-10-2009, 08:17 AM

After Wade on the team nobody else is a 20 pt scorer..the only other scorer on the team is Beasley and they didn't start playin him much until now...Now that Haslem is injured...I think they couldve played him at 3-5 just to build up experience but like they said he D sucks at the time..and is mediocre now...

Spencesc11
04-10-2009, 08:36 AM
1) no brainer george karl (denver nuggets) you look at their roster and the record they have and you have to say what??? Chauncey billups is a great player and with carmelo anthony that is 2 superstars but when kenyon martin, nene, and jr smith make your best starting 5 and you have the 2nd best record in the conference that has to say something.

2) mike brown (cavs) the record speaks for itself
3) stan van gundy (magic) lot of talent but he has gotten the most out of it

Testaverde16
04-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Mike Brown

KKell2507
04-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Another guy no one has yet to mention in this thread yet that i think should atleast be mentioned in the discussion however i dont think he should win it is Tony Dileo. The guy took over for Mo Cheeks when the Sixers were flat out sucking at the beginning of the year. Dileo thengot to coach a total of 1 full game with a healthy Elton Brand(scored 27 pts by the way). Hes taken what was a disaster at the beginning of the year to a mid playoff seed in the east. And had it not been for some bad luck with buzzer beaters this year(devin harris's halfcourt shot to name one) then Dileo would have this team with homecourt in the first rd. I know there are much more deserving candidates out there since the Sixers have basically the same record as last year, but he deserves some recognition for turning around the Sixers basically on the fly with no training camp or preseason practice to accomodate his system.

My vote for who SHOULD win it though would is Stan Van Gundy.

DrDEADalready
04-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I was hoping for Jerry Sloan. But since we have been sucking lately. I think our players ruiined that for him yet again this year. :mad:

BALLER71
04-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Stan Van Gundy or Spoelstra.

IBleedPurple
04-10-2009, 10:50 AM
George Karl-#2 seed in the West, when after dumping Camby and AI, many thought they wouldn't even make the playoffs

SVG-Playing great ball, and he is showing he can keep a team VERY consistent

Brown-Tied for best record in NBA, with less talent than Boston or L.A. Enough said

McMillan-Right up there in the West, and has one of the more difficult jobs with such a young team, which is usually hard to keep focused throughout an entire season

ragee
04-10-2009, 03:30 PM
After Wade on the team nobody else is a 20 pt scorer..the only other scorer on the team is Beasley and they didn't start playin him much until now...Now that Haslem is injured...I think they couldve played him at 3-5 just to build up experience but like they said he D sucks at the time..and is mediocre now...

I actually think Beasley is at his best when he is playing off the bench...

ragee
04-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Brown-Tied for best record in NBA, with less talent than Boston or L.A. Enough said

Less talent?
Lebron>Kobe (in my opinion)
Z>Bynum
Mo Williams>Fisher
then they have West, Pavlovic, Wally, Joe Smith, Verajao, Gibson, Ben Wallace...

How can that be less talented again?

tcm746
04-10-2009, 03:50 PM
I think vinny should get some votes

b_rad23
04-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Less talent?
Lebron>Kobe (in my opinion)
Z>Bynum
Mo Williams>Fisher
then they have West, Pavlovic, Wally, Joe Smith, Verajao, Gibson, Ben Wallace...

How can that be less talented again?

Because you didn't name Pau Gasol, who is the 3rd best player of the group and would be the #1 guy on a lot of teams.

Indi23
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
Its time sloan won it. He won games against elite teams without Carlos or deron. thats big time.

Indi23
04-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I was hoping for Jerry Sloan. But since we have been sucking lately. I think our players ruiined that for him yet again this year. :mad:

I feel for u its his time imo.

ProdigyI
04-10-2009, 04:10 PM
VDN :laugh:

_Sn1P3r_
04-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I feel for u its his time imo.

Yeah, how did he get in to the HOF, before winning COY?

But this season, I see it going to Mike Brown.

sciferguy
04-10-2009, 05:20 PM
If Nate McMillan doesn't get coach of the year he at least needs to get mentioned and his name hasn't come up on espn at for coach of the year

SF49ers
04-10-2009, 06:27 PM
stan the man should get it

Indi23
04-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Im a suns fan and when Coach D won COY i laughed. I think they should change it to overall year + playoffs. if its just year fosho Sloan for keeping the team strong

ragee
04-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Because you didn't name Pau Gasol, who is the 3rd best player of the group and would be the #1 guy on a lot of teams.

Well yeah but what I am trying to point out is the Cavs has a deep roster... As deep as the Lakers...

mzgrizz
04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Nate Mcmillan. He's done a terrific job in the development of each one of the players of his team. Expect them to continue to improve more and more under coach Nate Mcmillian.

Agree with you. He's done a hell of a job in a short time. Hats off to Nate.

Articleposter
04-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Nate McMillan of course. Apart from the fact that I'm a Blazers fan, Nate has really transformed his team into something big. Last year the Blazers were a .500 team and this year, they have already won 51 games. Mike Brown of the Cavs just has a good team- LeBron, Ilgauskas, Williams, West. They're all good players.

oldenpolynice
04-12-2009, 12:07 AM
I think it comes down to a five-man race. Stan Van Gundy, Nate McMillan, Jerry Sloan, Erik Spoelstra, and George Karl.

I hope either McMillan or SVG wins it. Wouldn't be upset with any of the others though.

what54!?
04-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I got nate mcMillian. SVG might get it though