PDA

View Full Version : Shaq looking towards Dallas?

whitesoxfan83
04-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Mike Fisher, DallasBasketball.com: "Shaquille O’Neal didn’t just stay an extra day in Dallas because, as he claims, he wanted to visit the Grassy Knoll. We’re told the Suns legendary center also stayed behind because he thinks all the grass in Dallas might be greener — and that he is angling with Mavs owner Mark Cuban for an offseason trade to Big D. This storyline is just now revving up again thanks to Shaq’s weekend on the town, during which he repeatedly told friends about the Mavs being on his wish list. [...] 'Privately, he's not making any secret of it,' says one mutual friend of Shaq and DallasBasketball.com. 'I bet right after the season ends, it won’t be private anymore, either.'"

Tim MacMahon, The Dallas Morning News: "I absolutely believe that Shaq will push to be traded to Dallas this summer. It doesn't surprise me to read a source saying that process has already started. Mark Cuban and Shaq, the NBA's two best marketing brains, have been longtime admirers of each other. Their Twitter footsie last week was the continuation of flirtation that has been going on between the two for years. Potential deal: Expiring contracts Erick Dampier and Jerry Stackhouse for Shaq. Why would the Suns do it? Because they'd save a bunch of cash, including $5 million by buying out Stack. Shaq made sure to set up a meeting with Cuban during this trip. He tweeted his request to meet with Cuban and followed up on that by sending the visitor's locker room attendant over to Cuban's Stairmaster to make sure the Mavs' owner knew Shaq was serious. Cuban's Twitter report after he hooked up with the best big man of our generation: 'shaq found me. wish I could say what happened. I kept my cool.'"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Suicide-lines-Does-Shaq-want-to-be-a-Maverick-?urn=nba,153607

what54!?
04-08-2009, 04:33 PM
knowing cuban he'll do it.

horry1ur
04-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I wish when the Lakers traded Shaq they traded him to Dallas we would have gotten Dirk
Dirk/Kobe/Bynum:drool:

horry1ur
04-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Anyways. who would it take to get Shaq in Dallas? Thoughts?

IBleedPurple
04-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Anyways. who would it take to get Shaq in Dallas? Thoughts?

As the article says, probably Dampier and Stackhouse. I have seen these rumors also, but...

Both teams play in the west.
The owners of each team really dislike each other
Shaq has a huge contract

I don't think this will happen to the Mavs, not sure where though :confused:

#1Mavericksfan
04-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Well I was happy Cuban didn't trade Shaq for Dirk back in the day because Dirk would still be playing for the Lakers right now, anyway Stackhouse and Damp are almost expiring contracts at this point so that might could get Shaq to Dallas, there no way I would trade Howard for Shaq beacuse that would be like trading Kidd for Harris again.

Stack and Damp for Shaq

abe_froman
04-08-2009, 04:57 PM
i see both sides willing to do this

DrDEADalready
04-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Damn it. Well there goes my hopes to see Shaq in a Jazz jersey. :cry:

D-Leethal
04-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Cuban and Shaq are buttbuddys on twitter as well

horry1ur
04-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Hmm.. i dont see that happenning
Stack and Damp? just seems weird to me
But as i found out anything Shaq wants he gets(ala when he asked for a trade from Lakers)

thedfactor
04-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Its about time more serious talk has boiled up about this. I really want Shaq on Dallas and for Damp and Stack, of course. It benefits both teams. Suns will be relieved of money and start again where they were before Shaq, who never really fit in Phoenix. Dallas gets a NBA legend who has a year or two left to be efficient. Shaq could be a huge fix for a Mavericks team who desperately need a big man presence in the middle alongside Dirk. We'll see what happens, but it sure seems both sides are leaning toward making it a reality once the season is dunzo for both.

Spurred1
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
^Mavs need more than just a Shaq fix, though. Don't want Cuban thinking this would be enough.

ragee
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Well I was happy Cuban didn't trade Shaq for Dirk back in the day because Dirk would still be playing for the Lakers right now, anyway Stackhouse and Damp are almost expiring contracts at this point so that might could get Shaq to Dallas, there no way I would trade Howard for Shaq beacuse that would be like trading Kidd for Harris again.

Stack and Damp for Shaq

I would welcome Shaq to Dallas if its for Damp and Stack... Then maybe try to trade Josh Howard for Richard Jefferson... That would make this team a legitimate contenders again... As long as we can re-sign Kidd in the process... Because I don't think Shaq will be any good to us if we don't have a good pg...

thephoenixson28
04-08-2009, 06:09 PM
I hope he messes up there franchise just like he did in phoenix, and just for the record shaq demands the ball to be affective so if traded its going to take away from dirk, and jason kidd. Just like it did nash, and amare.

Gibby23
04-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I hope he messes up there franchise just like he did in phoenix, and just for the record shaq demands the ball to be affective so if traded its going to take away from dirk, and jason kidd. Just like it did nash, and amare.

Shaq didn't mess the Suns up, it was the Owner. The Suns shouldn't have traded for Shaq in the first place. They could have had Marion expiring at the end of the year.

thedfactor
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
^phxson28^Dallas is built differently than Phoenix though. The trade was Marion for Shaq. Shaq was replacing a player who thrived in that high octane offense, the result wasn't what fans and the FO expected. Dallas meanwhile isn't the same, their offense resolves around half court more so than the Suns, and fastbreak when the opportunity presents itself. Shaq wouldn't wreck Dallas, not that he did that to Phoenix anyway, that was the management in Kerr and Sarver.

thedfactor
04-08-2009, 06:24 PM
^Mavs need more than just a Shaq fix, though. Don't want Cuban thinking this would be enough.
Oh I certainly agree, but this is very important part of improvement by adhering to the center need finally while also parting ways with remnants of the 2006 Finals squad in Dampier and Stack.

We would still need to find a legit starting shooting guard who can defend while scoring 15+ each night.

The Ooh Child
04-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I didn't know Shaq Attack and Cuban were man crushing on each other. I guess it would be cool if he went to Dallas

blacknell
04-08-2009, 06:32 PM
i think getting shaq would put dallas over that hump and they could win a ring. I would let kidd go and see it terry can play point and let Green take over at the 2 guard that would be a nice starting squad
Terry
Green or dare is say Iverson
Howard
Dirk
Shaq

superkegger
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
I think shaq to Dallas would be a good move. Especially since it might just get Jason Kidd to stay. If the Mavs don't make a serious move, the chances of Kidd staying are slight in my mind. Landing Shaq could be the trick. Though I'm still not sure that is enough to really contend for a title. They still have no depth, and no real option at SG. Terry can't play SG. He's a scoring PG off the bench, that is clearly his best role, and they need more than just shaq to contend.

thephoenixson28
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
^phxson28^Dallas is built differently than Phoenix though. The trade was Marion for Shaq. Shaq was replacing a player who thrived in that high octane offense, the result wasn't what fans and the FO expected. Dallas meanwhile isn't the same, their offense resolves around half court more so than the Suns, and fastbreak when the opportunity presents itself. Shaq wouldn't wreck Dallas, not that he did that to Phoenix anyway, that was the management in Kerr and Sarver. I'm just mad cuz I was for the shaq trade when it was marion for shaq. If I know that shaq was going to be stupid and act like this I would rather have marions cry baby ***. Can't even finish out the season without talking about going somewhere else. Forget that phoenix has the leverage he doesn't have a veto in his contract. I say trade him to the clippers,thunder, or the sacremento kings. I'm pretty sure when shaq leaves phoenix he is going to talk stuff about the team. Dallas isn't the same team as phoenix but almost has the same philosiphy. Shaq will demand the ball, cuz he needs the shaq touches or else he is going to criticize the team. If we do trade shaq I don't want dampier which is getting paid 13 million and stackhouse is probably going to get bought out. I would rather trade him for a 1st rounder and a couple of up and coming players to a sorry team and get a center like tyson chandler for 12 million as a free agent then have just dampier.

Spurred1
04-08-2009, 06:42 PM
i think getting shaq would put dallas over that hump and they could win a ring. I would let kidd go and see it terry can play point and let Green take over at the 2 guard that would be a nice starting squad
Terry
Howard
Dirk
Shaq

I don't think Green's really ready to take over anything just yet. I would rather keep Kidd and see what he could do with Shaq and Dirk.

Spurred1
04-08-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm just mad cuz I was for the shaq trade when it was marion for shaq. If I know that shaq was going to be stupid and act like this I would rather have marions cry baby ***. Can't even finish out the season without talking about going somewhere else. Forget that phoenix has the leverage he doesn't have a veto in his contract. I say trade him to the clippers,thunder, or the sacremento kings. I'm pretty sure when shaq leaves phoenix he is going to talk stuff about the team. Dallas isn't the same team as phoenix but almost has the same philosiphy. Shaq will demand the ball, cuz he needs the shaq touches or else he is going to criticize the team. If we do trade shaq I don't want dampier which is getting paid 13 million and stackhouse is probably going to get bought out. I would rather trade him for a 1st rounder and a couple of up and coming players to a sorry team and get a center like tyson chandler for 12 million as a free agent then have just dampier.

But Dampier is the second best center in the league-he said so himself! Chandler is a big risk-I wonder how serious his turf toe is; if the Thunder sent him back it must be pretty bad. Or else the Thunder could be really cheap and just playing it safe.

thedfactor
04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Terry
Howard
Dirk
Shaq
Ok so this isn't bad but keeping Kidd would is necessary if Shaq is coming on board. Also I didn't think about it, but Iverson could be a nice addition for nothing more than a short mid-level contract.
The Mavs FO talked during the Feb trade deadline about wanting to build a team similarly to the way Boston did theirs.
Adding Iverson as the starting SG, and keeping JET as the awesome 6th man he is would be tight.
PG - Kidd/Barea
SG - Iverson/Terry/Green
SF - Howard/Wright/Singleton
PF - Dirk/Bass
C - Shaq/Hollins

Gives Dallas a starting lineup that is all experienced veterans starving for an NBA title, outside of Shaq, and will all be significant pieces to a title run, not free-loading off an already star-studded team.

Spurred1
04-08-2009, 07:01 PM
^Don't mean to be negative or anything, but Boston also built a more defensive team. Dallas is not known for its defense. And I really think Howard needs to be traded.

CP3 The Great
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
that would be insane...
maybe it would give dallas the push they need

thephoenixson28
04-08-2009, 07:09 PM
But Dampier is the second best center in the league-he said so himself! Chandler is a big risk-I wonder how serious his turf toe is; if the Thunder sent him back it must be pretty bad. Or else the Thunder could be really cheap and just playing it safe. Lol I remember that then he got punked by shaq when they played against miami. But if the trainers fixed up shaq,nash,and grant I see why not chandler.

blacknell
04-08-2009, 07:21 PM
i'm taking kidd out of the situation because never know how much money he is going to want next season and i doubt they give him anything over 5 mill

ragee
04-09-2009, 02:01 AM
I think shaq to Dallas would be a good move. Especially since it might just get Jason Kidd to stay. If the Mavs don't make a serious move, the chances of Kidd staying are slight in my mind. Landing Shaq could be the trick. Though I'm still not sure that is enough to really contend for a title. They still have no depth, and no real option at SG. Terry can't play SG. He's a scoring PG off the bench, that is clearly his best role, and they need more than just shaq to contend.

We should trade Howard... He is just a first half guy... Maybe for Richard Jefferson? If it is possible...

I don't think Green's really ready to take over anything just yet. I would rather keep Kidd and see what he could do with Shaq and Dirk.

People should stop believing in Green... I think he does not really commit on improving himself... He is just another player who can jump really high...

But Dampier is the second best center in the league-he said so himself! Chandler is a big risk-I wonder how serious his turf toe is; if the Thunder sent him back it must be pretty bad. Or else the Thunder could be really cheap and just playing it safe.

Are you serious? Erika said that?!

Duncan = Donkey
04-09-2009, 02:13 AM
terrible trade for the suns.

From all the sites ive seen dampier's contract runs untill 2011. so i dont see how thats helps the suns. then theres the fact that dampier is absolute rubbish.

JLynn943
04-09-2009, 02:40 AM
Ok so this isn't bad but keeping Kidd would is necessary if Shaq is coming on board. Also I didn't think about it, but Iverson could be a nice addition for nothing more than a short mid-level contract.
The Mavs FO talked during the Feb trade deadline about wanting to build a team similarly to the way Boston did theirs.
Adding Iverson as the starting SG, and keeping JET as the awesome 6th man he is would be tight.
PG - Kidd/Barea
SG - Iverson/Terry/Green
SF - Howard/Wright/Singleton
PF - Dirk/Bass
C - Shaq/Hollins

Gives Dallas a starting lineup that is all experienced veterans starving for an NBA title, outside of Shaq, and will all be significant pieces to a title run, not free-loading off an already star-studded team.

that's a lot of different personalities for one team, but I do think they're all title-hungry, so maybe it could work. The Mavs would instantly be serious championship contenders if they came together right.

USMCLaker
04-09-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm just mad cuz I was for the shaq trade when it was marion for shaq. If I know that shaq was going to be stupid and act like this I would rather have marions cry baby ***. Can't even finish out the season without talking about going somewhere else. Forget that phoenix has the leverage he doesn't have a veto in his contract. I say trade him to the clippers,thunder, or the sacremento kings. I'm pretty sure when shaq leaves phoenix he is going to talk stuff about the team. Dallas isn't the same team as phoenix but almost has the same philosiphy. Shaq will demand the ball, cuz he needs the shaq touches or else he is going to criticize the team. If we do trade shaq I don't want dampier which is getting paid 13 million and stackhouse is probably going to get bought out. I would rather trade him for a 1st rounder and a couple of up and coming players to a sorry team and get a center like tyson chandler for 12 million as a free agent then have just dampier.

Shaq to the ClipJoint Wow, that would make for some interesting conversation/drama. Shaq playing alongside Baron Davis, even more so Shaq back in L.A. but playing for the dark side, imagine the hometown rivalry, that would be electric.

hotdogbun
04-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I wish when the Lakers traded Shaq they traded him to Dallas we would have gotten Dirk
Dirk/Kobe/Bynum:drool:

the heat trade is still better unless we are also getting nash from dallas
gasol,odom,farmar > dirk AND if we traded for dirk we wouldnt suck enough to get a top 10 pick which we used to draft bynum

Big Quett
04-09-2009, 06:06 AM

Stack and Damp for Shaq

How is that worth it? Damp has 2 years 23 mil left on his contract after this year. I would just rather pay Shaq 20 mil next year.

All of this sounds good. But i think they could get a better deal for Shaq. Im not saying that much better but better than this.

ragee
04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
that's a lot of different personalities for one team, but I do think they're all title-hungry, so maybe it could work. The Mavs would instantly be serious championship contenders if they came together right.

If that is going to be case though, they need to set their egos aside and concentrate on winning...

VCaintdead17
04-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Jeez with CP3 and Shaq on the Mav's they will be rolling. LMFAO

Don't expect this to happen.

_Sn1P3r_
04-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Haha I know. CP3/Dirk/Shaq. That should be able to get them a ring I would think. You also got JHo and Terry. ^

dtmagnet
04-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Cuban you magnificient bastard.

ragee
04-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Apparently, Cuban is not that interested...:confused:

Chaps
04-10-2009, 03:31 AM
is this man ever gonna retire

theimortalone
04-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Apparently, Cuban is not that interested...:confused:

:nod: There is an article on ESPN saying he isn't that interested, but if anyone were able to get it done, it would be Cuban.

Here is the article:

DALLAS -- Phoenix Suns center Shaquille O'Neal is starting to drop thinly veiled hints about pushing for a trade to the Dallas Mavericks this offseason.

After responding to several recent questions about his future with a mock growl, O'Neal told ESPN.com: "You know who needs me, right?" Asked whether he was referring to the Mavericks, O'Neal added: "You write it."

But Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, in response, made it sound Wednesday as though he would prefer to keep his longtime friendship with O'Neal on a mostly Twitter level.

Cuban wouldn't completely rule out a deal for O'Neal this summer, but he likewise offered only limited encouragement when asked before Dallas' crucial 130-101 drubbing of the Utah Jazz whether he plans to keep lobbing headline-grabbing Tweets back and forth with Shaq.

"As long as it's not about basketball," Cuban said.

O'Neal has quietly and publicly lobbied for trades to the Mavericks at various points in his career going all the way back to his time with the Lakers. O'Neal and Cuban are genuine friends, and O'Neal owns property in Dallas and has always liked the area.

The Mavericks have explored the possibility of acquiring O'Neal in recent years, but most of those inquiries were dependent on a long-shot scenario in which they were hoping O'Neal would pursue a contract buyout (first with Miami, then with Phoenix) so they could sign him at reduced terms as a free agent.

Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' summer plans on Wednesday reiterated recent proclamations by Cuban that the Mavs plan to be aggressive on the trade front. They believe that several yet-to-be-identified established players will be shopped by financially strapped teams, as seen before the Feb. 19 trading deadline, when the likes of New Jersey's Vince Carter, Milwaukee's Richard Jefferson, New Orleans' Tyson Chandler and, of course, O'Neal were made available.

Yet sources indicate that O'Neal, due to make $21 million in 2009-10 in the final year of his contract, would be a second-tier choice for Dallas. Although he could address some long-standing shortcomings for the Mavs -- with his low-post scoring and physical presence as well as an ongoing ability to sell tickets -- they are believed to be looking to inject their Dirk Nowitzki-Jason Kidd-Jason Terry-Josh Howard core with younger legs if possible.

Cuban declined invitations to speculate on specific names that might become available -- amid a growing belief around the league that the Toronto Raptors will at least listen to trade proposals for Dallas native Chris Bosh this summer. But Cuban restated his willingness to be on the league's short list of "buyer" teams open to taking on long-term salary in trades.

"I'll just get another job at Dairy Queen," Cuban joked of taking on more long-term salary at a time when teams are increasingly looking to shed those contracts because of the faltering economy. "Ice cream is still in."

"I still want to win," Cuban added.

He has spoken often this season of keeping star forward Nowitzki for as long as he can. He also would like to find a "Pau Gasol deal" that puts another difference-making sidekick next to Nowitzki, similar to what Kobe Bryant's Los Angeles Lakers did in February 2008 by absorbing Gasol's big contract in a deal with the cost-conscious Memphis Grizzlies. The Mavericks were initially among the teams hoping to make a major free-agent score in the summer of 2010 but have apparently reached the conclusion that they could have less competition if they try to upgrade this summer via trades.

"I think we've got the No. 1 trading asset available, and that's money," Cuban said in a recent ESPN Radio interview in Dallas. "It's not so much cap room. It's are you willing to take back money from other teams, particularly in these [tough economic] times?"

The Mavericks are coming off consecutive first-round playoff exits and are still headed for a dreaded first-round matchup with the Lakers as the West's No. 8 seed even after Wednesday's comprehensive win. When pressed Wednesday by a German reporter about his willingness to trade Nowitzki, Cuban insisted: "Dirk will be saying auf wiedersehen to me before I say auf wiedersehen to him."

O'Neal, meanwhile, is bracing to be shopped again this offseason after the Suns -- despite a victory Wednesday night in New Orleans -- were officially eliminated from playoff contention by the Mavericks' victory. O'Neal's statistical resurgence at 37 resulted in a spot on the West roster in the All-Star Game in Phoenix and co-MVP honors with Bryant, but, just days later, the Suns discussed a deal to send O'Neal to Cleveland that fell through on deadline day.

After the Suns spent nearly two full days in Dallas after Sunday's crushing loss to the Mavericks, practicing here Tuesday before traveling to New Orleans, O'Neal acknowledged that he expects to be pinpointed as the chief scapegoat for the Suns' failure to reach the playoffs after the firing at the All-Star break of new coach Terry Porter.

"Of course," O'Neal said. "I always get the blame. I accept that [expletive], though. I understand that."

Said Cuban of an O'Neal trade: "You never say never because it's such a crazy league. But you can say that about any player in the NBA."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4054759

Gibby23
04-10-2009, 12:08 PM
:nod: There is an article on ESPN saying he isn't that interested, but if anyone were able to get it done, it would be Cuban.

Here is the article:

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4054759
He can't come out and say too much about Shaq because he is under contract with the Suns.

theimortalone
04-10-2009, 12:41 PM
He can't come out and say too much about Shaq because he is under contract with the Suns.

That would make a lot more sense.