PDA

View Full Version : How many seasons will it take for the thunder to make the playoffs?

dolfan720
04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Im just curious. Please vote!

skny_txn
04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I think in 2 yrs they can start to compete for a playoff spot. The West is slowly getting older. You can see it this year with the likes of Phoenix, Dallas, and even San Antonio for that matter. IMO, there should be an open playoff spot somewhere soon.

marlinsfan24
04-08-2009, 11:08 AM
2 years. Especially if they get Blake Griffin. This team is poised to be great.

dolfan720
04-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I think in 2 yrs they can start to compete for a playoff spot. The West is slowly getting older. You can see it this year with the likes of Phoenix, Dallas, and even San Antonio for that matter. IMO, there should be an open playoff spot somewhere soon.

Yeah I agree

KB24PG16
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
4 years or more

what54!?
04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
I say two. The spurs, and can't keep it up for to much longer and the suns are on life support. Durant, green, and westbrook should have geled together well by then and who knows if they get griffin their scary in a couple of years.

still1ballin
04-08-2009, 02:35 PM
dos

EX-TREME
04-08-2009, 03:30 PM
2 yrs

IRUAM #21
04-08-2009, 03:31 PM

D-Leethal
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Durant lead the league in scoring next season and lead them to the playoffs....similar to the jump CP3 had coming into his 3rd year

_Sn1P3r_
04-08-2009, 04:09 PM
2-3 years. If they get Blake Griffin, give them a couple of years to develop and grow and you got yourself a young, solid team.

ragee
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I think they have a chance next year if they get a good pick... The Suns and the Mavs are on the way down... I think Durant, Green and Westbrook are solid players...

IrespectNumber3
04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
You think its gonna be cliche for them to get griffin? Maybe 3 years...If not Griffin...Thabeet

Jacob K.
04-08-2009, 05:49 PM
2, theyll be better others will be worse

dolfan720
04-08-2009, 07:34 PM
if they get griffen wow they will be scary

Super.
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
2 years. Durant will be a legit MVP shot at that time, and they'll prolly have a big man, Griffin or whomever. All that team needs is legit good big man, and they're gonna be good

Bucsfan
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I would say 3+, to get to the playoffs they would have to beat out the nuggets, jazz and blazers, and dwill is only getting better, blazers and nuggets are both very good teams, they definetly have a uphill battle, i mean any of these teams can really drop off in the future, but i would say it will be a few years

they are a very young team, alot to learn

akesh99
04-08-2009, 08:58 PM
2-4 years is a fair time period for them. Unless they make some big moves in the offseson I don't see them making it next year. The year after that is a big maybe because of the fact that with all the FA's that will be moving around, who knows what the Western Conference will look like! Nonetheless, they have a solid young team right now and with the right pieces, can be a threat for years to come.

DenButsu
04-08-2009, 09:17 PM
It's really so hard to say what's going to happen in the West from here on out with a lot of teams in major states of transition.

Boozer probably out of Utah
Shaq maybe looking to Dallas now (?!?), and both the Suns and Mavs at pretty critical crossroads
T-Mac's future uncertain in Houston
New Orleans in need of reinforcements for CP3
The success of Minny dependent on AJ's successful return from injury
Portland definitely rising
Lakers surely not going anyplace
Nuggets pretty secure with their main 5 all locked in for years
Thunder have a real star in Durant but it's all about how long it takes to build around him
Clippers, Warriors full of question marks

My only guess that I'd make about next season in the West is that the teams that currently have the most stability and/or bedrock superstars (and I'd say the ones most firmly in that category are Lakers, Denver, Portland, Utah, New Orleans, and Houston in no particular order) will continue to do well, although one or two might drop off, but then outside of that it is going to be a very dynamic season in the West, with a few up-and-comers doing surprisingly well, and a few long-standing high performers disappinting and dropping off.

So to directly answer the thread question, I think the cracks in the surface at the top will be there for teams like the Thunder to break through, but in the case of OKC it all depends on their front office and coaching staff's ability to successfully build and develop a team around Durant.

dre1990
04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
2 seasons

jmoney23
04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I said 2 years. They have a 2nd pick in the 1st round, and an early 2nd rounder, and even though this draft is weak, they could get a steal with one of those two picks. Even with say like Thabeet or maybe Jordan Hill, they could still get to the playoffs in 2 years with the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs on the decline...

Bucsfan
04-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I said 2 years. They have a 2nd pick in the 1st round, and an early 2nd rounder, and even though this draft is weak, they could get a steal with one of those two picks. Even with say like Thabeet or maybe Jordan Hill, they could still get to the playoffs in 2 years with the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs on the decline...

well that would mean one of the teams in the NW would have to falter also

unless half of the teams in the playoffs are from the NW...which i dont see happening, the jazz are going to be up and down unless they make some major moves, and the nuggets could be up and down also

but anything can happen and change the entire outlook, like maybe lebron coming to utah.......i kid i kid

ShaunRiching9
04-08-2009, 10:14 PM
prob about 2-3 years

arlubas
04-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Whoever says they should get Griffin doesn't know what they're talking about. Why would they even want Blake, so that they can bench a guy like Jeff Green? Cause you can bet your life Blake isn't gonna be playing the 5 anytime soon in the NBA. Even if they do get the #1 pick, they would be better off trading down the draft to catch Thabeet who would fit their team perfectly.

arlubas
04-09-2009, 04:37 AM
As for the actual question of when the Thunder could make the playoffs, I'd say in about 2 years and that is depending from all sort of things. One their "big" 3 would continue to play at the same level or better, two the aging western teams would do a bad job rebuilding (kinda like Phoenix is doing at the moment) and their team (OKC) would solidify their bench with experienced veterans who will know how to get the job done in close games. But as far as talent is concerned they certainly have what it takes in Durant, Green and Westbrook.

BrizzleBear
04-09-2009, 04:50 AM
They will be much improved next year, and with the right pieces in two years they should be in the playoffs.

dolfan720
04-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Whoever says they should get Griffin doesn't know what they're talking about. Why would they even want Blake, so that they can bench a guy like Jeff Green? Cause you can bet your life Blake isn't gonna be playing the 5 anytime soon in the NBA. Even if they do get the #1 pick, they would be better off trading down the draft to catch Thabeet who would fit their team perfectly.

Blake will start at PF and Green will start at SF

Missing56&33
04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
they have talent, they could make a run next year

BBadger1989
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Durant and Griffin = Dynasty in 4 years...

jimbobjarree
04-09-2009, 12:05 PM
they'll mkae the playoffs when San Antonio, Dallas and Phoenix begin their rebuilds...and then progress further when LA and Houston also start to rebuild. I'm saying at least 3 seasons, if they make it in 2011 I will be pretty impressed

arlubas
04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Blake will start at PF and Green will start at SF
And Durant will shift back to the SG position which is what was holding him from fully breaking out? Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

JayW_1023
04-09-2009, 01:06 PM
If they get Blake Griffin without any other significant additions they will be a borderline playoff team...they might be like 10-8 seed.

Blake Griffin is highly overrated...he is good, but he is being overrated in the same manner as Michael Beasley has.

I think next years draft will be the worst in years.

I agree with arlubas that Durant should be a three. If Griffin joins the Thunder I would use Green as a 6th man/combo forward off the bench.

I would use Westbrook as starting shooting guard...eventually I think he'll grow into more of a Wade type combo guard. I still think his fingers are too sticky...he overdribbles the ball too much...it's kind of annoying.

oldenpolynice
04-09-2009, 06:16 PM
The West is a good conference so it's going to be harder for the Thunder to break in. If they wind up with the #1 pick, they'll be there in two years (Blake Griffin is exactly what they need). Otherwise they'll be there in three years IMO.

SeoulBeatz
04-09-2009, 06:38 PM
If they get a solid big man who can put up 18-10 eventually, then two years

Hawkeye15
04-09-2009, 06:48 PM
If they get Griffin, Green slides to 6th man, still don't know why they sent Chandler back, but they could reasonably be in the playoffs in 2010-11. Easy. They could use an upgrade at SG and C. Thats if they get Griffin. If they slide to #3 for example, they should take Harden or DeRozan, and then address the big men in FA.

Trouble87
04-09-2009, 06:49 PM
3 years... they are about two more pieces and 2 yrs of experience from being a lil scary

dolfan720
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
And Durant will shift back to the SG position which is what was holding him from fully breaking out? Doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Maybe if he works on it during the offseason. Can griffen play center?

Hawkeye15
04-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Griffin is listed 6'10" or something like that, he will probably be closer to 6'7"-8", so no way. And I guess even I am guilty, but the Thunder shouldn't count the chickens before the eggs hatch

arlubas
04-10-2009, 04:06 AM
Nah I don't see him playing center in the NBA at all. He's a lengthy, athletic PF, he isn't either quick enough or has the shooting range to be a SF and he certainly won't be able to bang with the 7 footers of the center position in the L. If Okafor who is more built than Griffin is somewhat struggling in the center position then Griffin won't be able to go there at all. Plus it doesn't make sense to draft a player that is gifted at the PF position just so that you can play him off position and have him be just another normal guy.