PDA

View Full Version : Staying In School/Declaring For Draft Thread

JakeDelbreezy
04-07-2009, 10:07 AM
I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we could list who's going to the NBA and who's staying in school....

Ed Davis has already stated he'll be back...not even testing the waters. Good News for the Heels...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/news/story?id=4048617

sdweston757
04-07-2009, 10:10 AM
blair from pitt just declared he is leaving for the draft

Wake's Fastball
04-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Willie Warren (Oklahoma), Dexter Pittman (Texas) and Evan Turner (Ohio St) are the big names who have said already that they're staying in school for another year.

Early-entry players so far (by my count) are Blair, Jodie Meeks (UK), DaJuan Summers (GTown), BJ Mullens (Ohio St), Mac Koshwal (DePaul), Jonny Flynn (Cuse), Jrue Holliday (UCLA), Patrick Christopher (Cal), James Johnson (Wake), Tyreke Evans (Memphis), Brandon Costner (NC St) and Nick Calathes (Florida)

YankeePride13
04-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Blake Griffin called a press conference. Consider him gone.

gocubs2118
04-07-2009, 12:47 PM
We should hear about Craig Brackins anyday now.

SidTheKid
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Hoping Gerald Henderson stays :pray:

Wake's Fastball
04-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Blake Griffin, James Harden, Chase Budinger, Earl Clark, Devan Downey are all headed to the draft as of today.

mkool65
04-07-2009, 04:22 PM
The only thing I am hearing and really care about is Kalin Lucas coming back. When did Jonny Flynn declare? I hadn't heard that.

cutler2marshall
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
yeah i dont think he did yet. But sorry Sidthekid, im hoping henderson goes so we dont have to play him twice a year. The kid is an all star. Eventhough we are rivals in one sport, we share the same hockey team with the Pens

SidTheKid
04-07-2009, 07:07 PM
yeah i dont think he did yet. But sorry Sidthekid, im hoping henderson goes so we dont have to play him twice a year. The kid is an all star. Eventhough we are rivals in one sport, we share the same hockey team with the Pens

He would make the team elite if he came back for another year. Awesome that we're both Pens fans :hi5:

Wrigleyboy25
04-08-2009, 01:01 AM
The big names should get their own thread, guys.

metsbulls1025
04-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Thabeet stays.

YankeePride13
04-08-2009, 08:31 AM
^^ I would be.

His family can't afford to come to the United States to live for christ's sake...

I think Henderson leaves also, he's got top 10 written all over him.

Devils05
04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
From LATimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-usc-derozan9-2009apr09,0,5588022.story)

USC's basketball team is expected to have an entirely different look next season as forward DeMar Derozan, forward Taj Gibson and guard Daniel Hackett have decided to enter their names into the NBA draft, sources said.

Hackett will hire an agent, according to a source familiar with the Trojans program, making him ineligible to return to USC. The source asked for anonymity as he was not authorized to speak publicly on the matter. Gibson will not be hiring an agent.

DeRozan will not hire an agent, either, according to his father, Frank DeRozan, giving the high-flying, 6-foot-7 freshman the option to return to USC.

SidTheKid
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
From LATimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/sports/college/basketball/la-sp-usc-derozan9-2009apr09,0,5588022.story)

DeRozan could use another year at USC in my opinion.

Wrigleyboy25
04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Syracuse Student-Athletes Plan For NBA Draft
4/9/2009 1:20:10 PM

SYRACUSE, NY -- Syracuse men’s basketball players Eric Devendorf and Paul Harris plan to enter their names into the 2009 NBA draft. Jonny Flynn has decided to submit his name for the NBA draft but will not retain an agent, enabling himself the opportunity to return to Syracuse for the 2009-10 season.

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2009/4/9/NBA4.9.09.aspx

I don't think Devo or Harris will hire agents either. I still think all 3 will be back. We will see.

Wake's Fastball
04-09-2009, 03:16 PM

I don't think Devo or Harris will hire agents either. I still think all 3 will be back. We will see.

I'd agree with that. Flynn's got a shot at the first round, but Devo's likely to go undrafted, and Harris is probably a second round pick whenever he does come out.

In addition to the USC trio mentioned above, Jeff Teague (WF) and Jordan Hill are going to the draft. Hill is hiring an agent.

Driven
04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I think Flynn will go, but the other two won't.

Wrigleyboy25
04-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I'd agree with that. Flynn's got a shot at the first round, but Devo's likely to go undrafted, and Harris is probably a second round pick whenever he does come out.

In addition to the USC trio mentioned above, Jeff Teague (WF) and Jordan Hill are going to the draft. Hill is hiring an agent.
I think Devo may have a better shot of getting drafted than Harris.

Driven
04-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Doubt it. Devo's got a shot but that's it really. Harris doesn't have a shot, but he does everything else. He just doesn't really have a position. But neither are getting unless it's late 2nd round.

loki34
04-09-2009, 09:56 PM
flynn top 20 pick
devo not drafted
harris late second round

MilfHunter07
04-09-2009, 10:04 PM
hahahahahahaha, hurricanes f dwyane collins declares for draft. what an idiot. actually thinks he is somehting. news flash dumbass, you could barely be considered serviceable in college, what do you think you'll be in the nba?

gocubs2118
04-09-2009, 10:17 PM
hahahahahahaha, hurricanes f dwyane collins declares for draft. what an idiot. actually thinks he is somehting. news flash dumbass, you could barely be considered serviceable in college, what do you think you'll be in the nba?

He didn't hire an agent. Whats wrong with him testing the waters?

Kakaroach
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM

I don't think Devo or Harris will hire agents either. I still think all 3 will be back. We will see. x2 I hope they come back to Cuse for a legit shot at maybe the Final 4 next year.

NY Orange
04-10-2009, 12:42 AM

I think any college basketball junior with realistic NBA dreams should do this. Declare for the draft and don't hire an agent. No way Collins really thinks he's going to get drafted...but he's probably going to get a few pre-draft workouts and at the least get some valuable opinions by NBA scouts on how to shape his game. At least he'll be told why he won't get drafted and he can work to fix those problems during his last year of collegiate eligibility. That we he's that much closer to as NBA ready as he's going to be when his college career is done.

NY Orange
04-10-2009, 12:48 AM
And word is Harris is as good as gone. He and Boeheim have butted heads since day 1. Before the Providence game this season (when Paul was mysteriously benched) he had gone back to his hometown of Buffalo and quit the team. Assistant coach Mike Hopkins had to go out there and talk him back on the team. Rumor has it that after the Oklahoma loss he packed up and went home. He might not be NBA ready but theres money to be made in Europe...which would go a long way towards supporting his children. Devendorf also has a young infant child - and will have his degree next month. His dad said Devo would be returning but what parent doesn't say that...

Only one I'm really worried about is Flynn. Although I'd like everyone to return...

acousticmike80
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Word is that Devo is close to hiring an agent. I will try to find the source, but it stated that between having a kid, fearing another knee injury and not being warmly welcomed at SU due to his "antics"....he is probably gone.

Harris and Flynn are very tight, but I agree that between Harris quitting the team and butting heads with Boeheim....it is doubtful he returns.

I could see Flynn coming back, but do not understand why they would all declare if they weren't seriously considering the draft. I think they are probably all gone....

Wake's Fastball
04-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Word is that Devo is close to hiring an agent. I will try to find the source, but it stated that between having a kid, fearing another knee injury and not being warmly welcomed at SU due to his "antics"....he is probably gone.

Harris and Flynn are very tight, but I agree that between Harris quitting the team and butting heads with Boeheim....it is doubtful he returns.

I could see Flynn coming back, but do not understand why they would all declare if they weren't seriously considering the draft. I think they are probably all gone....

I mean, I expect they're all certainly considering it, but there's a number of guys that declare to experience all the draft camps and get a feel for where they're going to be drafted. Obviously if someone tells Flynn he's in the lottery, he's probably going to stick in the draft regardless of his original intentions. But if he gets told he's a borderline first rounder, maybe he goes back to school and tries to improve on that.

acousticmike80
04-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I understand that....and realize that guys test the waters....but in this case I have a hard time believing that they will all be back as some people seem to think.

I know Flynn says that he has to be "top 10" or seriously considered by the NBA in order to declare...but I find it hard to believe that being 10th or 14th is going to change his mind.

Wrigleyboy25
04-14-2009, 02:34 AM
More drama out of Syracuse.

Flynn says he will sign an agent this week. Lebron's agent.

Paul Harris says the University Press Release last week put out by Syracuse claiming he was declaring for the draft was without his consent, and that he had not planned on declaring. Weird story, here is the article:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2009/04/paul_harris_surprised_by_syrac.html

kingbrentg
04-14-2009, 05:55 AM
Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich are staying at Kansas.

Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich are both returning to Kansas next season, meaning that the Jayhawks will likely be the preseason No. 1 team in the country.

The duo made the announcement at the team banquet on Monday night.

"I can't wait till next year, when we go for another ring," said Aldrich, who played as a freshman on Kansas' 2007-08 national championship team.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9452938/Kansas'-Collins,-Aldrich-to-return-for-09-10-season

YankeePride13
04-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Wow, Aldrich and Collins staying...say hello to your preseason #1 team.

And what a wonderful program Jimmy B has over there at Syracuse...Once again eliminated before they should have been (with 3 NBA players on the squad), now bumping heads with his own players.

It's great to be a Tar Heel fan when you read things like that.

Also, word out of UNC is expect Lawson and Ellington to declare at the end of this week. Well deserved and they will be missed. Best of luck to both of them and thank you for an amazing 3 years.

Wrigleyboy25
04-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow, Aldrich and Collins staying...say hello to your preseason #1 team.

And what a wonderful program Jimmy B has over there at Syracuse...Once again eliminated before they should have been (with 3 NBA players on the squad), now bumping heads with his own players.

It's great to be a Tar Heel fan when you read things like that.

Also, word out of UNC is expect Lawson and Ellington to declare at the end of this week. Well deserved and they will be missed. Best of luck to both of them and thank you for an amazing 3 years.
LOL!! Yes, eliminated by a higher seed. What horrible underachieving fools!

Oklahoma would have been a one seed if Blake hadn't been hurt. I can't tell if you are biased or just extremely lacking intelligence. Either way, yikes.

And they don't have 3 NBA players. They have one. Harris and Devo will be lucky if they get drafted. They will sign on in the D league or go to Europe.

Wake's Fastball
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich are staying at Kansas.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9452938/Kansas'-Collins,-Aldrich-to-return-for-09-10-season

I would've put heavy money before on Collins returning... he's just not that good of an NBA prospect. After such a great tourney though, I'm surprised Aldrich is headed back.

YankeePride13
04-14-2009, 01:49 PM
LOL!! Yes, eliminated by a higher seed. What horrible underachieving fools!

Oklahoma would have been a one seed if Blake hadn't been hurt. I can't tell if you are biased or just extremely lacking intelligence. Either way, yikes.

And they don't have 3 NBA players. They have one. Harris and Devo will be lucky if they get drafted. They will sign on in the D league or go to Europe.

Is it difficult every year to come up with a new reason why Syracuse is eliminated from the tournament by a team with far less talent? Oklahoma had the best player, but 'Cuse had the next 5 best.

Oklahoma was not the team anyone thought they were earlier in the season. They lost games down the stretch even with Blake playing. They were a one man team, yet Jimmy's 2-3 allows any player that can make an open jumper to be a star.

But I'll let you have the last reply, I'm done on this, it's a NBA draft thread. Not one that explains the many failures of Syracuse program over the past 5 years.

Anyway...

Is anyone hearing anything on Gerald Henderson? He's the key to the Dukies being a national championship contender next year vs. just being another solid team.

Corey
04-14-2009, 02:51 PM
SO excited about Aldrich and Collins both returning to Kansas. Their going to be such a solid team next year, especially with the incoming recruits, and development of the Morris brothers.

I can't wait.

kingbrentg
04-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I would've put heavy money before on Collins returning... he's just not that good of an NBA prospect. After such a great tourney though, I'm surprised Aldrich is headed back.

Yeah, I didn't plan on Collins leaving either. He was projected as a late 2nd rounder, if drafted at all. He couldn't really hurt himself any by playing out his senior season.

He could either have another season similar to this one and go down as the guy that made the pass to Mario Chalmers in the Championship game. Or have the opportunity to go and compete for his 2nd National Title, and go down in history as bringing 2 titles to KU. Either way, it should only help his stock, seeing as he won't be much in the NBA anyway.

I was torn with Aldrich once I saw him jump to the Top 10 in a lot of mocks. Glad he's staying though.

kingbrentg
04-14-2009, 05:56 PM
SO excited about Aldrich and Collins both returning to Kansas. Their going to be such a solid team next year, especially with the incoming recruits, and development of the Morris brothers.

I can't wait.

I can't wait either. Bringing in Elijah Johnson will help out the PG spot and give us someone that can handle the ball and penetrate other than Collins and kind of Taylor. Tyshawn and the Morris' all get another year of experience. Aldrich will improve. Reed and Morningstar are just solid guys. Little probably plays a little more guard, his natural position.

Oh, and not to mention the possibility of bringing in a guy like Xavier Henry or Lance Stephenson. I think it'll be a great year for KU.

Padres Son
04-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Thabeet just officially declared for the draft.

NBA_Starter
04-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Syracuse's Johnny Flynn to declare for the draft tomorrow...

Jonny Flynn is set to sign with agent Leon Rose on Wednesday, according to a report from WIVB. Rose represents LeBron James.

Flynn met with James in Cleveland on April 6th, before deciding to sign with Rose.

Per Real Gm.

YankeePride13
04-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Tough to blame a kid like Thabeet. His mom can't afford to live in America, his family really needs the money.

Similarities to Dikembe Mutombo cannot be overlooked.

Wake's Fastball
04-15-2009, 12:14 PM
Al-Farouq Aminu is staying at WF for another year, which may go down as the most surprising move of the draft.

DePaul's Dar Tucker entered the draft as well. If both him and Koshwal stay in the draft pool, DePaul's looking at another winless Big East season next year.

Kakaroach
04-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Thabeet declared huh. He is gonna be a Top 5 pick.

gocubs2118
04-24-2009, 08:50 AM
Has anyone scheduled a press conference announcing that he is staying for another year? Craig Brackins has a 11:00 press conference this morning.

Gibby23
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Scottie Reynolds declared the other day

gocubs2118
04-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Brackins is staying! I am pumped already for next year.

BullsFan_1
04-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Did Devin Ebanks declare?

zach09
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Anyone think that austin Daye will go to the NBA? or will he just go Back to Gonzaga?

Wake's Fastball
04-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Anyone think that austin Daye will go to the NBA? or will he just go Back to Gonzaga?

I think he at least ought to go back. His stock is about as low as it could possibly be right now... he's not a clear-cut first rounder at this point, and with the upside he's got, I'd be stunned if he stuck in the draft.

Kakaroach
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Gerald Henderson declared.