PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili out until next year

bball1217
04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
Just happened:
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4089

He is out for both the regular season and the playoffs.

This could largely affect the playoff race in the west.

I see it looking like this by the end of the regular season:
Lakers
Nuggets
Rockets
Spurs
Hornets
Blazers
Jazz
Mavericks

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh ****...I'm expecting Duncan to go out now with his creaky knees. Well, the bench and other guys better get back in gear.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Yay no offense to Spurs fans but we needed this.

Brooke
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I am no Spurs fan but that really sucks for them and their fans

madiaz3
04-06-2009, 07:35 PM
wtf happened
was this an out of game injury?

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 07:38 PM
^He's been having problems with his ankles/legs the entire season.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Dam, Spurs still have a chance but very slim, im confident if we played them in a series we'd win if we healthy

soundjunkies2
04-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Without Ginobili they don't have a chance to really make any noise in the playoffs.

wwwhat
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Meh, they're still a little dangerous. But for them to just get to the Conference Finals the stars better align into the shape of Tim Duncan's face.

IrespectNumber3
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
The end of a dynasty...4 titles in 9 years...great run...the best team of the 2000 decade

carter15
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
i think they cud win A series...but anything more then that and id be very surprised now.

kingbrentg
04-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Brutal.

superkegger
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Yay no offense to Spurs fans but we needed this.

classy. :rolleyes:

Devestating blow for the Spurs. Without Manu, they're not the same team, and they just can't compete on that next level in a 7 game series withouth him at all. Guess the Olympics were a bad idea.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
classy. :rolleyes:

Devestating blow for the Spurs. Without Manu, they're not the same team, and they just can't compete on that next level in a 7 game series without him at all. Guess the Olympics were a bad idea.

lol hey we're trying to win our division with only a couple games left this help.

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 07:57 PM
lol hey we're trying to win our division with only a couple games left this help.

Yeah, but it isn't too classy to be openly happy about this. Rockets will probably win the division anyway.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but it isn't too classy to be openly happy about this. Rockets will probably win the division anyway.

Sry couldn't be classy there I was overwhelmed with joy...

NYstateofMinD
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Damn I hate injuries, it always makes you think what if. They have no chance to win a series this year, good luck next year Manu.

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Ehhh...might want to let the joy ebb a little before posting.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 08:09 PM
Sorry for your loss, good luck next year, that rookie of your is good, I see great things happening from him.

_Sn1P3r_
04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Dam, I wouldn't be happy if I was a Spurs fan.

Brooke
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM

I hate the Spurs but I am not happy about this

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 08:19 PM

because ur lakers aren't in the position the hornets r in..

Vidball
04-06-2009, 08:25 PM

Ditto...I never like injuries to anyone. I feel bad for the Spurs.

Brooke
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM

No because I dont like seeing anyone get injured

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 08:28 PM
No because I dont like seeing anyone get injured

He's been injured.... and my team seen there fair share of injuries already, i make exceptions to players I don't like, if it were to be TD or Parker I wouldn't be happy.

astrosmaniac
04-06-2009, 08:32 PM

:nod:

im truly sad for spurs fans. they were looking forward to him coming back all year, and now hes gone. devastating lost

Living Legend
04-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I wonder if Popavich is going to have a rant about the olympics.

I'm pretty sure he injured himself then.

superkegger
04-06-2009, 08:35 PM

Be that as it may, to be openly happy about a player being injured is pretty assholistic.

Sry couldn't be classy there I was overwhelmed with joy...

Again, it's pretty sad that you're overwhelmed with joy that a guy is injured.

If anything, Lakers fans would have more reason to be happy. Most people are saying that there is one legit contender to the Lakers, and that's a healthy Spurs team. With Manu down, it's hard to feel like anyone can really challenge us.

But that's besides the point. Manu is a phenomenal player, a game changer, and one of the most exciting players in the game today, when healthy. To lose that is sad. Unless of course you don't like watching good basketball...

Chronz
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Shouldve gotten VC when they had the chance

Vinny642
??? I was sarcastic when I said I was overwhelmed, the only serious thing is I said this helps the Hornets, im not that happy, I dont like Manu but I was still confident we can beat them if healthy. To me if he is hurt he is hurt. Nothing more and nothing less

NYstateofMinD
I wonder if Popavich is going to have a rant about the olympics.

I'm pretty sure he injured himself then.

He had injury problems in last years playoffs, he wasn't the same.

IversonIsKrazy
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
NNNNOOOOOOEEEEEEEEE!!!! omg, this is horrible. no more lakers-spurs WCF, now spurs are going to be eliminated in the playoffs. this is just horrible. who can they beat w/o Manu? i can c them finishing 3rd in WEst. Hopefully VSing Blazeres, but most likely going to be Hornets. OMG, this is just going to be dreadful. NBA, where injuries happen...

superkegger
04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Shouldve gotten VC when they had the chance

yeah, that might have done the trick.

Manos
04-06-2009, 09:04 PM
ouch, that sucks for spurs fans.

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Not soo good news. Would like to see a San Antonio vs Houston 1st round now. Both teams missing star players in Manu and t-mac. That cancels one another out so that neither team has an excuse if they play.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-06-2009, 09:11 PM
That sucks. Spurs needed to be healthy to have a good chance. Duncan is getting a little older, so this is kind of a wasted year for him.

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Well, JB, the absence of TMac is a blessing because his on/off playing status created problems with the line up. Players have stepped up, and the Rockets have been playing better without him.
The Spurs do not play better without Manu and sometimes our other guys don't step up at all. Yesterday's game was a good example of this-Parker and Gooden were the only guys who reached double figures. Mason, Finley, and Bonner were not helpful. Spurs NEED Manu, I'm not sure if the Rockets NEED TMac at this point. And I'm sure some Rockets fans will have something to say about that, which I'm interested to hear.

stawka
04-06-2009, 09:19 PM
I think everyone seems to forget this is the Spurs we're talking about. Not any other team - the Spurs. The team that had Parker and Ginobili out for the first few weeks, yet they were still beating everyone.

They now have Playoff-mode Duncan, and Tony Parker who is healthy, along with good backup's such as Gooden/Mason etc.

I still expect them to be the most dangerous team in the West after the Lakers and alongside the Nuggets. As much as we all hate them, they're still the Spurs and should always be considered just as good as any 'defending champ' because they're always in that mindset

showtym24
04-06-2009, 09:20 PM
The end of a dynasty...4 titles in 9 years...great run...the best team of the 2000 decade

If we win the title this year, i'd say were the best team of this decade. 4 titles and 6 finals appearances. But this a huge blow to the spurs. I feel bad for there fans and them.

YankeeFan89
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Damn..Big loss for the Spurs.

YankeeFan89
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Maybe they should have traded for VC?

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 09:31 PM
I think everyone seems to forget this is the Spurs we're talking about. Not any other team - the Spurs. The team that had Parker and Ginobili out for the first few weeks, yet they were still beating everyone.

They now have Playoff-mode Duncan, and Tony Parker who is healthy, along with good backup's such as Gooden/Mason etc.

I still expect them to be the most dangerous team in the West after the Lakers and alongside the Nuggets. As much as we all hate them, they're still the Spurs and should always be considered just as good as any 'defending champ' because they're always in that mindset

But Duncan is nowhere near playoff mode.

junion
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Dam, Spurs still have a chance but very slim, im confident if we played them in a series we'd win if we healthy

there's nothing more satisfying than beating a team at full strength. if a team beat another team without one of their main players, then there's always 'we were lucky he wasnt playing'. it feels better knowing that you beat a team when they are healthy. it's like bragging about winning a fight with a guy who had one arm. you can win, but it won't feel as satisfying as winning the fight with a guy who had all his limbs.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
there's nothing more satisfying than beating a team at full strength. if a team beat another team without one of their main players, then there's always 'we were lucky he wasnt playing'. it feels better knowing that you beat a team when they are healthy. it's like bragging about winning a fight with a guy who had one arm. you can win, but it won't feel as satisfying as winning the fight with a guy who had all his limbs.

yea I know, I said im confident we'd win if they were healthy and we were healthy.

Robbie7138
04-06-2009, 10:15 PM
even if the lakers win this year, the spurs would still be the team of the 2000's
no other team in the nba team this decade have had the consistincey theyve had

VCaintdead17
04-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Ouch! Bad injury for the Spurs, I'm not sayin they're down for the count, but, I'm not sure as to how far they can go now.

Kakaroach
04-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Brutal, just brutal. And its all because of the Olympics IMO. There goes their every other year championships.

codes238
04-06-2009, 10:45 PM
i honestly dont think that any team in the western conference can take more than one game from the lakers now in a series...

still1ballin
04-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Hurts

SMS07
04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh well... Even with ginobili, the spurs weren't going to stop the lakers, kobe, gasol, and the refs

Joshtd1
04-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Devastating, but honestly, Manu was hurt. It was obvious, and even though it sucks, Im glad we are shutting him down for good. No need for him to make it even worst, and possibly career threatening by playing through the pain.

As for what Stawka said...I still think the Spurs have a decent shot to make the WCF. Spurs have beaten alot of teams in the West without Manu, and in a 7 game series, anything is possible. Only team that I dont think we have a shot to beat is the Lakers.

Kakaroach
04-06-2009, 11:22 PM
^^I would be very surprised if they even won one series now.

stawka
04-06-2009, 11:27 PM
But Duncan is nowhere near playoff mode.

Not yet.....

As for what Stawka said...I still think the Spurs have a decent shot to make the WCF. Spurs have beaten alot of teams in the West without Manu, and in a 7 game series, anything is possible. Only team that I dont think we have a shot to beat is the Lakers.

Couldn't agree more. Like I said, the Spurs are still the Spurs. They did it at the start of the year, and come Playoff time - Duncan wont let them get tossed around. The Spurs can take anyone out of the Playoff's except the Lakers this year. The Lakers are too strong for the Spurs, but nobody else wants to face the Spurs out West.

Joshtd1
04-06-2009, 11:35 PM
^^I would be very surprised if they even won one series now.

Why? Spurs have gotten used to playing without Manu this year enough....of course him being out hurts, but we have beaten playoff teams this year without Manu. Of course it is possible we lose in the 1st round, but the Spurs wont go down without a fight.

GspLAL
04-06-2009, 11:44 PM
I still think Spurs are the second best team in the west with Jazz a very close third.

kidfury
04-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I like the Jazz possibly pushing the Lakers far. As for the Spurs, without Manu that takes so much punch out of their bench scoring. They're going to need a lot of lucky bounces or breaks to get to the WCF. I predict they might get get to the 2nd round but no further.

KB24PG16
04-07-2009, 01:10 AM
i thought he was out for the rest of the regular season and not the playoffs :shrug:

Becks2307
04-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Lol the first thing that came to my mind when i saw this thread was "DOWN GOES FRAZIER"

Fireworld
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Bummer, but can we really count the Spurms out?

superkegger
04-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Why? Spurs have gotten used to playing without Manu this year enough....of course him being out hurts, but we have beaten playoff teams this year without Manu. Of course it is possible we lose in the 1st round, but the Spurs wont go down without a fight.

If I counted right, the Spurs are 17-15 without Manu. You beat Houston, Portland, Dallas, Detroit, Utah and Houston without Manu. Not bad, but not great.

And the Spurs are still the Spurs, but without Manu, they're not as potent, and they could easily lose HCA in the first round, which makes it that much more difficult. Plus, let's be honest, right now, Tim Duncan doesn't exactly look like the Tim Duncan we're used to seeing. He's not right. That knee, aint right.

I'm not countin' em out, but I have some serious doubts.

horry1ur
04-07-2009, 01:47 AM
This sucks.
But i think Spurs could win a series at most two.
But have a tough time against in WCF.

junion
04-07-2009, 01:57 AM
i think it's like what people were saying about the lakers and the championship - lakers are really good, but they can't win a championship without bynum.

same with spurs and the wcf. they are a really good team, but without ginobili, they can't win the wcf.

they'll give teams trouble, but it's unfortunate that ginobili's out and they wont be nearly as good as they could be wit ginobili.

Joshtd1
04-07-2009, 03:35 AM
If I counted right, the Spurs are 17-15 without Manu. You beat Houston, Portland, Dallas, Detroit, Utah and Houston without Manu. Not bad, but not great.

And the Spurs are still the Spurs, but without Manu, they're not as potent, and they could easily lose HCA in the first round, which makes it that much more difficult. Plus, let's be honest, right now, Tim Duncan doesn't exactly look like the Tim Duncan we're used to seeing. He's not right. That knee, aint right.

I'm not countin' em out, but I have some serious doubts.

As do I, and again Im not saying we will even make it to the WCF, Im just saying if we did make it there...I wouldnt necessarily find it super surprising, as someone had mentioned previously in the thread.

JayW_1023
04-07-2009, 04:25 AM
We can kiss our title hopes goodbye this year.

DitchDat
04-07-2009, 04:48 AM
aw that sucks

JayW_1023
04-07-2009, 04:54 AM
Might as well sit out Duncan the rest of the regular season now too...now the rest he gets is even more of essence.

This year we had to play catch up all season long. Manu got injured before the season started, then Parker got injured. Duncan had to carry the load, which obviously wore him down down the stretch.

Then Parker started a torrid stretch playing at an extremely high level, carrying us to wins we never should have won. But Manu rushed back and Duncan got worn down.

Health has killed the Spurs all year...yet we still will win over 50 games and make the postseason. I guess it's somewhat comfort that not many other teams would've had the same success with so much injury woes in one season.

Bah! Who am I kidding...

EX-TREME
04-07-2009, 05:15 AM
i hate the spurs but i hate also injurys. that's sad, you should making a run in the playoffs

Nirvanaskurdt
04-07-2009, 05:30 AM
Coming from a suns fan...this is KARMA!!! hahaha:laugh2: i'm not happy Manu is hurt but happy the spurs may be one and done finally!! :smoking:

JayW_1023
04-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Coming from a suns fan...this is KARMA!!! hahaha:laugh2: i'm not happy Manu is hurt but happy the spurs may be one and done finally!! :smoking:

You Suns fans should know a thing or two about karma...trading for Shaq was your teams desperation move to finally beat us in the postseason. Worked out fine didn't it?

Ever since the domino's have been falling down in short order. Good luck watching the postseason at home :smoking:

Game_Over
04-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Hate this Flopper, but would rather face you guys with your full team and win than without.. We Nuggets fans know all too much about injuries it sucks!!

stawka
04-07-2009, 07:59 AM

You are a tool :)

theimortalone
04-07-2009, 09:01 AM
:ouch: Wow, this injury is gonna kill the Spurs.

SMS07
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
If we win the title this year, i'd say were the best team of this decade. 4 titles and 6 finals appearances. But this a huge blow to the spurs. I feel bad for there fans and them.

I doubt it for two reasons. One, because since shaq left, they haven't won they missed the playoffs in 05. Then they lost in the 1st round the next two years whereas the spurs have been a top seed every year. And when david robinson retired, duncan still kept leading the spurs. Kobe hasn't led the lakers to another title yet.

And just a side note: a lot of ppl are still going to consider one of those lakers titles to have an asterisk next to it.

IBleedPurple
04-07-2009, 04:03 PM
While I don't wish for players to get hurt, if anyone besides Kobe could go down, I'd choose Ginobli.

He is the biggest flopper/actor/drama queen in the league, so the playoffs are a more credible competition without him. He really gets ridiculous with his faking

DrDEADalready
04-07-2009, 04:11 PM
They'll be fine without him. it will hurt. but I still think they are competitive with out him.

Nirvanaskurdt
04-07-2009, 09:43 PM
You are a tool :)
wow... baiting? real mature buddy... get a life! Mature a bit then we can talk.

stawka
04-07-2009, 11:53 PM
wow... baiting? real mature buddy... get a life! Mature a bit then we can talk.

Yeah... OK!

I'm pretty sure if anyone read through this thread, they would clearly see that what I said is MUCH more mature then your clownlike post. Read through what you wrote and try again.

JayW_1023
04-08-2009, 04:25 AM
Duncan had 25 and 15 on wobbly knees against the Thunder and Parker scored 21 and 10 assists. I wonder how long Duncan can keep it up.

I would much rather see Pop rest Duncan more and more the last few games so he is somewhat fresh for the postseason.

The playoff seeding shouldn't interest the Spurs anymore.

CP3 The Great
04-08-2009, 04:53 AM
their is no possible way this could have been an out of game injury, but this is horrible for the spurs.

sp1derm00
04-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, as bad of a blow this injury is, a Spurs team without Manu could very well still be a match for all the Western Conference competition aside from the Lakers.