PDA

View Full Version : Some Notes Before We Begin The Season:

hoog
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I'll try to stay positive but there's a lot to be nervous of this season:

I was glad to see the Tig's go young rather than re-treads this year. I think the enthusiasm from Porcello, Perry, Larish, and Anderson will all help.

Insert golf clap here. I am pleasently suprised by Juan Rincon making the club. I really thought he was toast. He's a very good reliever when healthy, let's hope he stays that way.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Galaraga and Jackson will be our best starters. Verlander has really lost something. (see below)

Verlander scares the heck out of me. The coaster ride is definately going down on him. Does anyone realize how many guys he walked last year. Well it hasn't gotten better. In fact, he's walked more than he's struck out this spring. For a supposed hard throwing strike out guy he sure isn't what he's billed to be. I think after his first year he tried to slow his ball down and it's really cost him. He needs to worry less about his arm and get that velocity back. He had better control then and pitched a heck of a lot better.

Speaking of strike outs to walks, what the heck is Rick Knapp doing? I thought this guy would really help this staff, so far, he hasn't. I know it's early but he better get these guys throwing strikes or that new improved defese won't matter much.

Fernando Rodney closing? I didn't even have this guy making the team and he shouldn't have........enough said.

I'll end on a couple positives here. First, love the catching duo. I think we'll see a vast improvement. Second, love the fact that Anderson is starting in LF instead of Guillen or Thames. The guy covers more ground and will add a much needed item in speed to the basepaths. Lastly, Larish over Clevlen was a no brainer. Left handed power bat we needed. I just hope that Jimmy lets the kid play and won't doghouse him when he slumps on occassion. He's a power hitter not a singles hitter so he's going to strike out and go through some lulls.

Good luck Tigers! I'll be rooting.

JMDTM
04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
i agree with most. im with you on verlander, and he did stuggle this spring, but who knows. we will see today i guess. Also, im not very high on rodney, but im sure he isnt going to maintain that spot all year. i honestly think that spot is being reserved for Perry. Rincon, i thought played well this spring so who knows on that.

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 07:29 PM
I am not concerned with Verlander.. his velocity is back to 2007 levels.. and i think his walks will go back down..

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 07:30 PM
already in the first he hit 98.. throwing a few to many pitches early.. but still plenty of time to rebound

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
looks like i spoke to soon.. Verlander is imploding on the mound

JMDTM
04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
there just hitting him. hes finding the strike zone pretty good but they are putting the ball in play

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 09:08 PM
the pitch selection was pretty bad.. throwing changeups in bad counts to rights.. coming inside on lefties in 0-2 and 1-2 counts when he should have been going away

Sam_Quentin
04-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I know he pitched terrible, but i am somewhat pleased with Verlander just based on the fact that his velocity was back to normal....and hey, some pretty good pitchers have gotten slammed around so far so dont throw the towel in just yet on JV! Last year dude was a consistent 93 and peaking at 96, now he was back to his old self being a consistent 96-97. That tells me he's at least got his mechanics back, i'll take the positive from this. First game of the year, new catcher....not too down about it.

hoog
04-07-2009, 07:07 AM
Remember Matt Anderson? He had good velocity too but they went out of the park faster than he threw them. I kinda felt like that was who I was watching, not the Verlander of old. He needs to get somekind of movement on that fastball. Also, agree with Bondo on the bad ball placement and pitching phylosophy.

After seeing Nate pitch, I'm starting to think he might just be a closer at some point. He pitched with a little red arse. Also, what the heck Rincon? He has a great spring, I praise him, and he goes out and lays an egg on his first go round. Hopefully, we got this stinker out of the way and it doesn't linger like last year. Last thing....Edwin Jackson! He'll prove tonight that he's our true Ace. Gosh, I hope so.

Bondomania
04-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I really just think it was more of a poor game plan.. Verlander will be good this year.. i just think he needs to learn that he can't throw a changeup to right handed cleanup hitters.. and if he does.. then he is going to have to bury it at the bottom of the strikezone.. right handed sluggers love changeups from righty pitchers..