PDA

View Full Version : Rooting Against Your Team

Spurred1
04-05-2009, 10:49 PM
So I was wondering, is there ever a time when it is okay for one to root against their team?

Jonathan2323
04-05-2009, 10:50 PM
yes when you are out of the playoffs and want a better draft pick. lol.

KH12
04-05-2009, 10:54 PM
No.

Bg7getclutch
04-05-2009, 11:04 PM
thats a dumb question. why would you root against your team.

Spurred1
04-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I ask because there are fans of a specific team that WANT the team to lose and miss the playoffs because they believe it will lead to better draft picks. Also, the team will avoid being trampled on by stronger teams in the playoffs if they miss said playoffs.

aWiLL 20
04-05-2009, 11:12 PM
rooting against your team is absolutely ridiculous. if you like a team, you never want for them to lose. what is the point of competition if you want someone you like to do bad? root for your team in the good times and the bad.

sacgiants1213
04-05-2009, 11:13 PM
i want that #1 pick and i've been rooting against the kings lately. Losing now will only benefit us in the long run.

Wilson
04-05-2009, 11:17 PM
I can understand rooting for your team to lose for the sake of a better draft pick, I don't know if I could actually do that though :shrug:

isuk
04-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Ya i remember like 2 years ago hoping the 49ers would lose so we could have like the 9th pick instead of the 13th and its not so much rooting for the other team. Its just hoping you barely lose or lose from some sitty call.

Big E
04-05-2009, 11:23 PM
Maybe if you want a good draft pick but only if there are some significant injuries or your team is utterly hopeless

Kakaroach
04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
i want that #1 pick and i've been rooting against the kings lately. Losing now will only benefit us in the long run. Other than for this reason, then no.

superkegger
04-05-2009, 11:28 PM
Hoping that you get a few more losses to have a better pick isn't really rooting against your team though...You're rooting for them to be better, next season.

tsunami
04-05-2009, 11:48 PM

i've been rooting against the islanders for the last 4+ weeks now. i want them to finish last overall and have the best shot at getting tavares in the draft....

DenButsu
04-05-2009, 11:52 PM
So I was wondering, is there ever a time when it is okay for one to root against their team?

Yes, and that time is when you're a Spurs fan.

:p

lakerboy
04-06-2009, 12:33 AM
I could never root against the Lakers. Even when I was a big gambler a couple of years ago, I never bet against the gold.

KobeIs
04-06-2009, 12:51 AM
wow. never.

abe_froman
04-06-2009, 01:06 AM

if its a good year for lotto picks,and your team is really bad but just good enough to get swept in the playoffs.i say yes..and do it

because the long term success of the club by adding a great role player or star that will(help)win you rings far exceeds the glory of being embarrassed as an 8th seed for one year

abe_froman
04-06-2009, 01:10 AM

so i guess you wouldnt mind giving rose back than in exchange for lets say robin lopez?

IversonIsKrazy
04-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Unless u wanna get a better draft pick.

VinceGully
04-06-2009, 01:14 AM
no. even when you hate the coach and want him fired or want a high draft pick, you still root for your team to show you some glimmer of hope...you always want something to cheer for.

NO ONE really roots against their own team...if you had to do that, it's time to find another team.

BigEric
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Nope. Being a Kings fan, I don't get as dissappointed when I see a loss though. Since Mashburn called us the "doormat" team of the NBA I should root for us to lose, seeing how Mashburn is an NBA genius!

It SHOULD never be ok to root against your favorite team. Understanding and accepting losses is another thing.

Kyben36
04-06-2009, 01:18 AM
yes, When their team looses every time you root for them. so you root against them. Maybe also, I do this sometimes, When you are into a game and you dont want it to end, I was at a sox game once and I was having such a good time I was hoping for extra innings

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 01:23 AM

That's pretty much what I was going to say. Like if you knew a franchise player was coming out and your team was bad, you would root so they could do worse in order to get that top pick.

Hawkize31
04-06-2009, 01:46 AM

But even then, you are indirectly rooting for your team. By losing a few games extra during a losing season, your team can become way better. So you are kind of rooting for your team to be better by rooting for them to lose now. If that makes sense...

But straight up wishing your team loses, no I won't do that. There was an argument a couple years ago on the Cubs forum during the regular season, and we were in a pennant race. We had some ****** pitcher, maybe Marquis I think, who was struggling. He was real close to losing his spot in the rotation. Several Cubs forum posters were rooting for him to get lit up so he would be removed from the rotation. Their argument was that the sooner he was out, the better off we would be in the long run. I disagreed totally. I never ever want to see my team lose, especially in a pennant race.

Kyle N.
04-06-2009, 01:58 AM
I never WANT the Kings to lose but I don't care if they do because I do want to guarantee a good draft pick.

EX-TREME
04-06-2009, 05:02 AM
why would you do that?

Hawkeye15
04-06-2009, 01:52 PM
fans of cellar dwellers often need to switch into that mode late in the season, when winning 3 extra games can cause you to fall a few spots in the draft. Deep down, I could never root against them, but at that point, if they lose, you are almost satisfied, cause now you are only thinking about the future.

what54!?
04-06-2009, 01:54 PM
you want a lottery pick? :shrug:

miller
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
No not really. But when the team is bad you kinda want a good pick in the draft. It still feels dirty though.

JJ81
04-06-2009, 02:19 PM
No

Lions #81
04-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Usually I am never rooting against my Pistons but we all know our season is lost so why not root for a better draft pick. It helps that team in the long run. Last night I was rooting for the pistons to lose to the bobcats. But it didnt happen and it pretty much locked up the 8th seed so yeah. THere are certain situations were I think it is ok to root against your own team

Steely McBeam
04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
no. thats a losers attitude

jrivera
04-06-2009, 02:57 PM
If losing is a advantage ..I guess its just buisness..

CityofTreez
04-06-2009, 03:44 PM
I find myself asking this question day and night?

I want the kings to lose, so we have that #1 pick, but I find myself rooting for the kings in the 4th quarter when they are playing the Golden State, like last night. Also, last night we gave ourselves the worst losing record since the King's moved to Sacramento! I was rooting for that not to happen!

In all reality, I say it, but don't mean it! Huh, If that makes sense?

bahama0811
04-06-2009, 03:47 PM
No, I couldn't root against the Nuggs.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
04-06-2009, 03:51 PM
I could never root against the Lakers. Even when I was a big gambler a couple of years ago, I never bet against the gold.

cool!

junion
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
...when you support your team 100% and you buy the merchandise, watch them religiously, and then it looks like they don't give 100% on the court and they're not even trying. then maybe you can root against your team. kinda like mark cuban did.

Vinny642
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Na never ever not root for my team, especially here because if I did then the hornets would have no fans on this website.

YankeeFan89
04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
For a draft pick...Blake Griffin beast...

Penetra8r
04-07-2009, 01:22 AM

You are going to get blasted on this thread but coming from a gambling neighborhood, I can see where this question leads. Yesterday my buddy was in Vegas and bet against his favorite team, the Lakers. They were playing the Clippers. The Lakers were 17.5 point favorites to win. He bet the house on the Clippers even though the Lakers are his team. I was laughing my an-s off when the Lakers had that big lead and the starters icing their legs then the bench blew a lead and the starters had to finish off the game...

What about the Lions and their fans? Had a lock on the first pick of the draft a few years back but won the last game to give the Raiders the #1 pick! The Lions fans were irate!

horry1ur
04-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Technically no, but if you like two teams equally you can root against the other :)

horry1ur
04-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Na never ever not root for my team, especially here because if I did then the hornets would have no fans on this website.

:laugh:

ragee
04-07-2009, 01:51 AM

Dude, go in the Mavs forum, you'll see what he is talking about...

KB24PG16
04-07-2009, 02:06 AM
ask cavs fans i still remember the signs back in 03 tank for lebron

Big Zo
04-07-2009, 02:32 AM
I would never root against my team. Last year when they were tanking to get the best pick in the draft, I simply didn't care if they lost. I would watch, try to enjoy the game as much as possible, and not care about the outcome.

DenButsu
04-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Dude, go in the Mavs forum, you'll see what he is talking about...

Spurred1 is a "she". :cool:

Young2Kinsler
04-07-2009, 09:57 AM
So, this topic was posted specifically for me, lol. Anyways, yes I have been down on the Mavs this season, and I do wish they would of missed the playoffs, but thats not going to happen. Here are my reasons for it, and I think they are justifiable...

1. I think missing the playoffs would create more change for this team. I truly believe many fans and management in this town are just happy making the playoffs every season, even though clearly the franchise is heading down the wrong path. I'm not happy with just the playoffs, and I would rather change happen now, rather than later.

2. Having the SLIMMEST shot at the lottery is still better than the 18th pick.

3. Being swept by the Lakers in the first round has no positive outcome for the Mavericks.

Spurred1
04-07-2009, 05:30 PM
^
Don't you feel...special?
Regardless,
Mavs have NO shot at the lottery. Come on, deep down, you know this. The draft this year is simply weak also. There are no game changers or franchise makers outside of Griffin, and God knows how he'll really pan out.
Cuban and Nelson also are pretty bad at drafting picks. Ager and Pavel are two of the most recent cruddy picks. Yeah, they drafted Howard...a few years ago. The draft all around generally is a crapshoot. Being a basketball star in college doesn't automatically translate to the same in the NBA. Durant and Rose are exceptions, not the rule.
No, there is no benefit to being swept by the Lakers. There's no benefit to losing,period. Don't think anyone has ever implied such a thing,anyway.
Cuban does need to make changes to this team. Just not through the draft-there isn't time to wait for some kid to develop. He needs to start finding players via the 2009 FA group. One can only hope he does.

Young2Kinsler
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
^
Don't you feel...special?
Regardless,
Mavs have NO shot at the lottery. Come on, deep down, you know this. The draft this year is simply weak also. There are no game changers or franchise makers outside of Griffin, and God knows how he'll really pan out.
Cuban and Nelson also are pretty bad at drafting picks. Ager and Pavel are two of the most recent cruddy picks. Yeah, they drafted Howard...a few years ago. The draft all around generally is a crapshoot. Being a basketball star in college doesn't automatically translate to the same in the NBA. Durant and Rose are exceptions, not the rule.
No, there is no benefit to being swept by the Lakers. There's no benefit to losing,period. Don't think anyone has ever implied such a thing,anyway.
Cuban does need to make changes to this team. Just not through the draft-there isn't time to wait for some kid to develop. He needs to start finding players via the 2009 FA group. One can only hope he does.

I don't feel too special knowing that you don't even read what I post, but respond to me like I'm stupid. When did I ever even suggest that having one draft pick would fix the franchise? Clearly I know that the draft pick alone isn't going to fix the problems with this team, but having a higher pick can only be BETTER. If I offered you the 14th pick, or the 18th pick, which one would you want?

For you to tell me there is no talent in the draft this year means nothing, because for every can't miss player out there who busts, there are 10 players who were expected to be nothing and turn out to be solid NBA players. Josh Howard is a good example of that.

The whole point for rooting for Dallas to miss the playoffs is what you are missing. The pick is SECONDARY to the idea that missing the playoffs will bring about the big changes quicker! I'm tired of settling for making the playoffs and keeping the same squad who can't get it done, year after year. It's time for drastic change, and I believe that is more likely and will happen more swiftly if Dallas were to miss the playoffs.

All this to say, Dallas is in the playoffs for all intensive purposes, and with the schedule they have left are all but locked into the 8 seed. So the blind Mavs fans get what they have been begging for, a playoff birth and an anal pounding from LA. Congrats Mavs! WOOOOOOOOOOO What a sense of accomplishment!

Phat Pat 94
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, only if your a twolves fan though

Vinny642
04-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Spurred1 is a "she". :cool:

??? for real?