PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Opener Question

metsbulls1025
04-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I was just wondering everyone's take on this......

Do you think MLB drops the ball on opening night/day. Like tonight for instance they have the Braves and Phillies. Not to take anything away from those teams, but what if baseball set it up like the NBA or NFL with having teams play that have history. Mets/Phillies Yanks/RedSox or rematches from each playoff. What do you guys think.

mdlr52192
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Ya. They should do that, like have the Phils play the Mets. Whoever wins the WS should play their biggest rival on Opening Day, so if the Rays won, they would play the Red Sox. Somethin like that.

miller
04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
WS Champions earned the right to be live on TV on opening night imo.

Giants-49ers-Ws
04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah it should be Phillies-Mets..Baseball should start the season with everyone playing their biggest rival....

giants-dodgers
yankees-red sox
cubs-cardinals
a's-angels

etc, etc, etc

metsbulls1025
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't disagree witht he Phillies playing tonight, but they should play the Mets or Dodgers. Mets for obvious reasons and the Dodgers because they played in the NLCS. I mean how many times have the Yankees started the season against Tampa or Toronto?

Pavelb1
04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't disagree witht he Phillies playing tonight, but they should play the Mets or Dodgers. Mets for obvious reasons and the Dodgers because they played in the NLCS. I mean how many times have the Yankees started the season against Tampa or Toronto?

2008:Toronto
2007:Tampa
2004:Tampa
2003:Toronto

I don't feel like looking anymore up.

S.P.
04-06-2009, 12:46 PM
With 162 games, I don't think it matters who's the opening night game. They made sure it wasn't a matchup like Pittsburgh vs Washington, or something like that. Good enough for me.

Cincinnati used to always play the opener. I guess they played themselves out of that honor.

WSU Tony
04-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah it should be Phillies-Mets..Baseball should start the season with everyone playing their biggest rival....

giants-dodgers
yankees-red sox
cubs-cardinals
a's-angels

etc, etc, etc

Why in the world would they make the schedule like that? Lets face it, opening day/week has TONS of fans coming to games. Save those "key" games until times when fans are less interested in going to a baseball game to up ticket sales. Then we'll throw in some interleague play, an allstar break, and heck, we'll top ticket sales for 4-5 years in a row......

When you wonder why something is the way it is, the answer much of the time is money.

king4day
04-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I think the problem is, MLB knows that they have games during the season that won't naturally sell out. So to put games that have weak matchups on early in the season, they know people still have hope in their teams and they can sell those out.

Yanks/Redsox, for example, will always sell out. From a financial standpoint, it makes no sense to start the season with then,

long ball
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Teams should not play their biggest rival for their home opener because when teams play their biggest rival, ticket sales will already be high. And the opening series is already likely to have high ticket sales. As a business it does not make sense to open against your rival.

Tragedy
04-06-2009, 01:15 PM
With 162 games, I don't think it matters who's the opening night game. They made sure it wasn't a matchup like Pittsburgh vs Washington, or something like that. Good enough for me.

Cincinnati used to always play the opener. I guess they played themselves out of that honor.
Exactly.

vladdy#27
04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
i think a different team should be televised today because the Phils and Braves game was already televised but who cares

koldjerky
04-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I do agree that a rematch of last seasons playoffs would be a good idea for an opener. Phils v Dodgers/Brewers add in the Mets/Braves for heated rivalries. They did start with the braves and it was a good game so I'm not upset with the game last night, well besides the loss of course.

Also, you guys make a good point with selling the first few weeks with lower games, in a sense, considering people are excited for the season to start.

koldjerky
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
i think a different team should be televised today because the Phils and Braves game was already televised but who cares

The braves/phils dont play today... i have the mets/reds on espn here.

WSU Tony
04-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I do agree that a rematch of last seasons playoffs would be a good idea for an opener. Phils v Dodgers/Brewers add in the Mets/Braves for heated rivalries. They did start with the braves and it was a good game so I'm not upset with the game last night, well besides the loss of course.

Also, you guys make a good point with selling the first few weeks with lower games, in a sense, considering people are excited for the season to start.

Exactly. Why waste an $ raising ploy so early int he sesason? :p

Freel for prez
04-06-2009, 02:06 PM
It should be the NL champion Vs the Reds...Reds started it back in 1869, Why stop?

CAIN=FUTURE
04-06-2009, 06:29 PM
It should be the NL champion Vs the Reds...Reds started it back in 1869, Why stop?

What if the Reds are the NL Champions?... Didn't think about that, did you? :)

Sportfan
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
WS Champions earned the right to be live on TV on opening night imo.

thats the point. the WS champion should play it's biggest rival

hawksd911
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Why are yall complaining about Phillies not playing the Mets. I think the Braves and the Phillies are pretty good rivals.

misterd
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
I was just wondering everyone's take on this......

Do you think MLB drops the ball on opening night/day. Like tonight for instance they have the Braves and Phillies. Not to take anything away from those teams, but what if baseball set it up like the NBA or NFL with having teams play that have history. Mets/Phillies Yanks/RedSox or rematches from each playoff. What do you guys think.

I think fans are a bit sick of NY and Boston teams, myself. The Phillies were the WS champs, and the Braves still have a good following left from the 90s. Seems like a decent match up to me. Besides, there'll be plenty of other games to show off better* teams.

*;)

REGular
04-06-2009, 07:37 PM
and the Braves still have a good following left from the 90s.

Yea, not just that, but as division rivals it certainly brings out the best in both squads.

KingerSox
04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I just love hearing all this banter because it means there's baseball bein' played again! Woo!