PDA

View Full Version : Is this the last year that the Spurs in the Duncan era have a chance to win it all?

JordansBulls
04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
Is this the last year that the Spurs in the Duncan era has a chance to win it all?

Duncan is getting older and then Manu has been plagued with injuries recently.

Is this realistically the last opportunity the Spurs have to win another title while Duncan is still around?

ddaughtry
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
The Spurs don't even have a chance to win it this year. Their window of opportunity to win the championship shut the moment the Lakers traded for Pau Gasol.

#1Mavericksfan
04-05-2009, 06:35 PM
The Spurs are done man and I'm not just saying this as a Mavs fan either, the Spurs are not even good defenders anymore like there where when they won there titles, if they don't win it all this year then they need to blow the team up and get some young legs in there and don't be suprised if Ginobili is traded.

madiaz3
04-05-2009, 06:38 PM
There are a few guys who definitely need replacing on the Spurs due to age. But I would say no, their core 3 is still youthful enough. I don't think Ginobili's injuries are due to age rather than getting unlucky.

Parker is only 26! Roger Mason has been a great spark for them only at 28 years of age, and if George Hill continues to improve they will definitely have a great young core to work with. However, defensively they aren't what they used to be. Bowen is done, and he really can't do what he used to do. You had one of the best if not the best perimeter defender in the game on the same team as one of the best post defenders in the game. They could contain the best guards and best big men all at once.

But now the old men Bowen and Horry can't contribute like they used to, although Finely seems to have aged nicely. They'll be a threat ala the Pistons of the past few years but it really won't take much to put them back into contention. If they were to make a play for a player like Shane Battier I really think they would not only improve and add a 2-3 years to their elite status.

Then again, I don't know their contractual and financial situation so I don't know if they could even afford to pull off any of those moves. I say Ginobili and Duncan remain as effective for as long KG and Pierce do.

Lakers211221
04-05-2009, 06:45 PM
No, their last chance was 2 years ago!

hotpotato1092
04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
No because I think they're gonna steal some player from a losing team that wants to unload cash for next to nothing this offseason (VC? Stephen Jackson/Correy Maggette? Mike Miller? Brad Miller? Shaq?). I think any of those players could be had and could keep the spurs going for another year or two.

JordansBulls
04-05-2009, 07:38 PM

So you are saying they had no chance last year or even this year?

EHL
04-05-2009, 08:04 PM
I voted no only because I think Parker is an elite point guard and though Duncan is in decline, I think he can fill the Admirals role during their championship years quite well. I could see TD with an avg of 12-15 pts ppg, 8-10 boards with exceptional defensive contribution in the next 2-3 yrs.

The key IMO is the offseason. If they can get another serviceable huge name FA, they can still compete for a championship.

Parker
Roger Mason
Duncan
Chirs Bosh?

Along with some very useful role players that will buy Popovich's system and approach and they could still compete for a title.

Kakaroach
04-05-2009, 08:17 PM
They can contend this year and next year if Manu and Timmy stay healthy. What a lot of people forget is that Duncan is having his best year this year in the past 3 or 4 years. Plus they have a good young nucleus with Parker, Mason, Hill, and Gooden.

heyman321
04-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I voted no only because I think Parker is an elite point guard and though Duncan is in decline, I think he can fill the Admirals role during their championship years quite well. I could see TD with an avg of 12-15 pts ppg, 8-10 boards with exceptional defensive contribution in the next 2-3 yrs.

The key IMO is the offseason. If they can get another serviceable huge name FA, they can still compete for a championship.

Parker
Roger Mason
Duncan
Chirs Bosh?

Along with some very useful role players that will buy Popovich's system and approach and they could still compete for a title.

LMAO you must be high if you think Bosh is going to San Antonio. The only places he would end up are Toronto and any other decent team that can offer max $$ like Miami and New York.

EHL
04-05-2009, 08:21 PM
LMAO you must be high if you think Bosh is going to San Antonio. The only places he would end up are Toronto and any other decent team that can offer max $$ like Miami and New York.

Since you can tell the future, why dont you tell us the fate of the league in the next 50 years.

Additionally, I dont think you use common sense. A question mark was placed suggesting its an idea. But Ok.

TopsyTurvy
04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
They have to make trades from here on out to stay competitive.

I feel bad for Duncan.

miller
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
They might get another shot imo. A FA signing or a trade could really put the Spurs back into being a very realistic shot. Hell i wouldnt even count them out this year.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-05-2009, 09:22 PM
No. They have other guys stepping it up like Bonner and Mason so they have someone to pick up the slack next year even if Duncan starts to slip a little.

Kakaroach
04-05-2009, 09:54 PM

I feel bad for Duncan. Yes, I also feel bad for a man with 4 championship rings while John Stockton and Jerry Sloan who will be entering the Hall of Fame this year of zero rings. And Karl Malone, who will enter next year. :rolleyes:

Kyben36
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Healthy, they can beat anyone.

IversonIsKrazy
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
if TD and Manu are 100%. Next year, in the summer of 2010, around 60%-70% conracts expiring. Duncan just isnt playing good nor Manu since their injuries. But we all know playoffs is when Spurs come 2 life, but i still think the still gotta chance. Their the 2nd best team in the WEst. If they can pick up a young SF this off-season there pretty good, like a guy like Marvin Williams.

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
The biggest problem IMO is Bowen. He is not that lock down defender anymore and without that they have too much trouble defending the wing.

superkegger
04-06-2009, 01:37 AM
The biggest problem IMO is Bowen. He is not that lock down defender anymore and without that they have too much trouble defending the wing.

Bowen is the least of their problems. He's fallen out of the rotation if favor of Mason and now Hill. Sure they miss his defense, but he's ancient, and they knew it was coming, which is why they brought in Mason.

manu and duncan not being healthy is their biggest obstacle. If those two are healthy, they can beat anybody in the NBA in a 7 game series. If not, they're in serious trouble. And they don't look to be. They get those two healthy this off season, get gooden integrated into that system, snag either a wing or a C in the offseason, and if healthy, they're as dangerous as ever next year.

Lakergirl24
04-06-2009, 02:29 AM
I think if they can sign a few more young role players that they can still compete for the championship. Duncan is still effective and Parker and Ginobli are still young.

abe_froman
04-06-2009, 03:07 AM
the demise of the spurs have been announced before,and yet somehow they kept going.of course it has to set someday,but until they clearly are done i wont be that foolish counting them out.as so many have before

JayW_1023
04-06-2009, 03:08 AM
I dunno...all I know is that we don't have the makings of a championship team RIGHT NOW.

sturge
04-06-2009, 03:43 AM
No its not. Although the team is ageing and will be more beatable, they just know how to grind it out. Parker is no way near the end of his ability, they have drafted well considering there picks are always late 1sts and i think they will be a contender for a few more years yet.

leftymo
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM

hahah. I voted No b/c their BEST and last chance to win it all was last year.

This year its clear they are done. They don't have the firepower to compete with Boston, LA, Cleveland, and Orlando...

Jaji
04-06-2009, 12:42 PM
No. Last year was.

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Bowen is the least of their problems. He's fallen out of the rotation if favor of Mason and now Hill. Sure they miss his defense, but he's ancient, and they knew it was coming, which is why they brought in Mason.

manu and duncan not being healthy is their biggest obstacle. If those two are healthy, they can beat anybody in the NBA in a 7 game series. If not, they're in serious trouble. And they don't look to be. They get those two healthy this off season, get gooden integrated into that system, snag either a wing or a C in the offseason, and if healthy, they're as dangerous as ever next year.

So let's say they end up the #3 seed and Denver is the #2 seed. If not healthy will Denver win that series?

pd7631
04-06-2009, 01:42 PM
Nope, all they have to do is really suck for a year and get the #1 pick and then draft a stud.....boom, it's the David Robinson/Tim Duncan thing all over again.

Hawkeye15
04-06-2009, 01:55 PM

I feel bad for Duncan.

Did you really write that??????????? Um, being drafted and playing with Robinson in his prime, to a team that had zero business in the lottery, surrounded by great management, winning 4 titles, and being regarded as the greatest PF by many, not much to feel sorry for. I am just sorry his damn eyeballs didn't pop out of his head with that look he gives the refs on a no call

charlsdq7
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
yeah but if they have a good offseason they might have 1 or 2 more out of duncan and Manu

JayW_1023
04-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I don't see us winning this year...realistically. It hurts to admit it.

bahama0811
04-06-2009, 03:42 PM
No, I think last year was the Spurs last chance.

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't see us winning this year...realistically. It hurts to admit it.

Do you think you can take out Denver?

Joshtd1
04-06-2009, 04:36 PM

Bingo...

Joshtd1
04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Do you think you can take out Denver?

I do. Spurs need to be healthy though..which as Keg said, we arent right now, otherwise the Spurs will be in trouble

Only team that I honestly think can beat the Spurs in a 7 game series are the Lakers. (Again, assuming the Spurs are healthy)

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 04:39 PM
With the way they are hurting now, there isn't any way they could beat Denver. I'm going with Jay on this one. There's no reason to think that Timmy's knees are going to be that much better in time for the playoffs or that Manu's ankle is going to be perfect. It was flaring up yesterday.
A coworker and I were discussing this today-he thinks that the dynasty has come to an end. He can accept that, because the Spurs got 4 championships within the last 10 years and that's pretty good. But realistically, every team is going to go through ugly stages and I think the Spurs may be approaching one of theirs. They will have some serious issues to address this offseason.

JayW_1023
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
With the way they are hurting now, there isn't any way they could beat Denver. I'm going with Jay on this one. There's no reason to think that Timmy's knees are going to be that much better in time for the playoffs or that Manu's ankle is going to be perfect. It was flaring up yesterday.
A coworker and I were discussing this today-he thinks that the dynasty has come to an end. He can accept that, because the Spurs got 4 championships within the last 10 years and that's pretty good. But realistically, every team is going to go through ugly stages and I think the Spurs may be approaching one of theirs. They will have some serious issues to address this offseason.

It's just that being TOO optimistic hurt like hell last year when we got axed by the Lakers. The Spurs need to find a legitimate fourth scorer upcoming offseason.

heyman321
04-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Since you can tell the future, why dont you tell us the fate of the league in the next 50 years.

Additionally, I dont think you use common sense. A question mark was placed suggesting its an idea. But Ok.

Don't get your panties in a bunch buddy.

I don't believe I dismissed your post as "not" an idea, but there's a difference between ideas that are likely and based on the evidence right now of who has cap space and ideas that are completely farfetch'd such as yours.

JordansBulls
04-06-2009, 05:33 PM
It's just that being TOO optimistic hurt like hell last year when we got axed by the Lakers. The Spurs need to find a legitimate fourth scorer upcoming offseason.

didnt' you guys go after Maggette? What happened their?

bahama0811
04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
The Spurs haven't been healthy all season. What makes you guys think that things will all of the sudden change when the playoffs start?

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 05:47 PM
didnt' you guys go after Maggette? What happened their?

I don't think he was interested in playing for the Spurs after the Warriors foolishly offered him that huge contract. He was motivated by money, not terribly surprising or unwise in this day and economy. Spurs didn't have that kind of money to offer.

JayW_1023
04-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Maggette thinks he should be the no.1 guy anyway.

Spurred1
04-06-2009, 07:05 PM
^Yes, that too. He needs the ball to do anything, which doesn't really fit in with the Spurs all that well.

JayW_1023
04-06-2009, 07:06 PM
The Spurs haven't been healthy all season. What makes you guys think that things will all of the sudden change when the playoffs start?

That's the thing, we don't :( at least, many Spurs fans feel that way.

Raps08-09 Champ
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Ginobli is out for the season and they don't know if he will be effective come playoffs if he comes back so that might have hurt their chance this year.

EHL
04-06-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't believe I dismissed your post as "not" an idea, but there's a difference between ideas that are likely and based on the evidence right now of who has cap space and ideas that are completely farfetch'd such as yours.

Rofl. Spurs only have 2 major players with contracts extending to 3+ yrs. The rest are expiring in a year or two. Roughly the same year Bosh will enter FA. You're telling us that the Spurs wont be able to accomodate FA's with multiple players having expiring contracts?

JJ81
04-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes and they're gonna have to do it without Manu by sounds of it.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4089

unwantedplayer
04-06-2009, 07:20 PM
They need one more All-Star/Role caliber player. Manu is becoming much more prone to injuries and Duncan is obviously getting older. When the Spurs aren't hurt, they are dangerous. But age and injuries are catching up.

superkegger
04-06-2009, 08:41 PM
So let's say they end up the #3 seed and Denver is the #2 seed. If not healthy will Denver win that series?

Moot point now with no Manu. Depending on the matchups, they could have serious trouble getting out of the first round. They'll likely slide out of the top 4 in the west and won't have homecourt for the playoffs. They're a half game ahead of houston and a game ahead of portland. They could be in some serious ****.

Of course, they are still the Spurs, and Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan and Tony Parker can ball outta control. So they still have a shot, but with no Manu, the Finals is a long long long shot, this year.

JordansBulls
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Moot point now with no Manu. Depending on the matchups, they could have serious trouble getting out of the first round. They'll likely slide out of the top 4 in the west and won't have homecourt for the playoffs. They're a half game ahead of houston and a game ahead of portland. They could be in some serious ****.

Of course, they are still the Spurs, and Tim Duncan is Tim Duncan and Tony Parker can ball outta control. So they still have a shot, but with no Manu, the Finals is a long long long shot, this year.

I think it could be like 2000 when Duncan was out and they lost in round 1.

futureman
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I think that they will make some moves that will make then a solid contender again during the offseason. This team is like the virus that doesn't go away.

JayW_1023
04-09-2009, 04:35 AM
For us to be relevant next season we need to covet some talent now...there is no time to waste Parkers prime and bank on longer term prospects.

JordansBulls
04-09-2009, 08:40 AM
For us to be relevant next season we need to covet some talent now...there is no time to waste Parkers prime and bank on longer term prospects.

Would you guys go after someone like Maggette or get Stephen Jackson back?

chin chukwu
04-09-2009, 09:24 AM
i think the SPURS can still win titles (maybe not this year). for this to happen popovich HAS TO start grooming young players. right now we have a supporting cast of veterans--none of whom are accustomed to scoring. for some reason he's still trying to find ways to get points out them. prime example: yesterday against the blazers. the blazers had the game under control with about 2 minutes left---and the our start (TP & TD) were on the bench. he told the guys on the floor "we don't have time to run our stuff, so if you have/can create your own shot, go for it." within the 2 min the only players who were able to do that were GEORGE HILL and MARCUS WILLIAMS. both were scorers in college, yet popovich has them hog-tied to the bench.

JayW_1023
04-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Would you guys go after someone like Maggette or get Stephen Jackson back?

If we get someone like Maggette our veterans hopefully will demand enough respect for him to play less selfish. Jackson played well for us when he was on our team...but he is another headcase.

I would love to have Antawn Jamison or Rasheed Wallace on our team. They would both be great fits.

marlinsfan24
04-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I imagine the Spurs will sign Rahseed this of-season. That should be enough to put them right back with the Lakers for title contention IMO

JayW_1023
04-09-2009, 10:11 AM
It would be huge...it will allow us to keep Duncan fresh throughout the regular season.

jimbobjarree
04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Timmy D has 3 years left on his contract after this, and he's not even healthy right now, and nor is Manu so why would this be their last chance when hopefully they all come back fit next season?

chin chukwu
04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
i don't know---i kind of disagree. i think the SPURS have to get a young "skill/potential" player to learn under tim duncan. look at andrew bynum---no one knew him when he was in the draft and he didn't play in college. why has he blossomed into the player he is now---KAREEM ABDUL JABBAR is his mentor. we have to stop infusing the team with 30+ veterans. while were doing this other teams in the west are getting younger and more energetic. the SPURS simply need new/young talent to grow/learn under the big 3.

thedfactor
04-09-2009, 11:07 AM
this year they do not have a shot to win it. the loss of manu and knee aches of duncan are too much. they got handled at home by portland after being up 19. in the past that would never happen. the duncan title era is over.

BBadger1989
04-09-2009, 11:18 AM
They don't really have a great chance at winning this year, but its quickly gunna go down hill for the spurs from next season on. So, if the Duncan era team wants to win one more it would have to be this year, although highly unlikely they will...

Missing56&33
04-09-2009, 11:56 AM
i think this is a great thread question. This may be the spurs last shot at a title. Im not going to say they cant get it done in seasons to come but they are sadly approaching a end of an era

jimbobjarree
04-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I wonder who would have rebuilt the best in 3 or 4 years time out of Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Houston and San Antonio...the West's top 8 will look completely different

IBleedPurple
04-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I think the Spurs will have a good chance for at least two more years. Manu & Parker will be fine, and Duncan isn't elderly yet. If Manu loses his flopping skills in his old age, then they're done.

RaiderLakersA's
04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Some say the Spurs haven't been healthy all year. I say the Spurs haven't been healthy these last 2 years. But whether healthy or not, their key players are another year older, while their top competitors are all younger and just as good if not better at those same key positions. I don't count out any team with a healthy Tim Duncan on it, but the Spurs need to make some moves this offseason.