PDA

View Full Version : Big East overrated?

Devils05
04-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Yeah they got 5 in the Sweet Sixteen, 4 in the Elite Eight, and 2 in the Final Four but a big 0 in the NCAA title game

kvrnm
04-05-2009, 01:22 AM
nova did not show up today,.... very dissapointing

croce_99
04-05-2009, 02:53 AM
:laugh2:

Where's the choking icon at?
5 teams in the sweet 16
half of the elite 8 teams
half of the final 4 teams

but 0 in the championship game

:hi5:

07MVPPatBurrell
04-05-2009, 11:10 AM
the big east teams got burnt out late in the tourney. teams like MSU and UNC don't play the level of competition all year round like the Big East. Lousville would have neeeed to win 13 straight against big east and ncaa teams to win the tourney. impossible, strong year for the big east nonetheless.

mkool65
04-05-2009, 11:40 AM
I would say the only disappointment from the Big East this Tourney wat Pitt. Nova, UConn, Louisville ran into the 2 best teams in the country right now. I would not say they are overrated because this tourney proved they have elite talent with how deep some teams got and also the Big East proved that they are deep. I would not say they are overrated just because of who the teams ran into and how hot those opponents were.

Kakaroach
04-05-2009, 01:09 PM
How is the Big East over-rated?! :pity: Yeah, their not in the championship game, but they were dominate in the regular season and in the tourney. Big East was the best conference this year and the best this decade.

Catfish1314
04-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't think so. Their conference as a whole played better in the Tourney this year than any other conference. North Carolina and Michigan State are playing great, great basketball at the right times. In UConn's case, they were simply outplayed by a MSU team I personally, have vastly underrated this whole tournament. In Villanova's case, I feel for them because they just couldn't make shots. They played pretty good basketball, but if you can't make shots you can't win. I think UNC was the better team regardless but Villanova could have beaten them yesterday if their shots were falling.

SidTheKid
04-05-2009, 06:36 PM
It's pretty funny though that everyone was praising this conference all year long and yet they have no teams in the finals.

metsbulls1025
04-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Who ever is judging because they didn't get a team to the finals is a moron.

LivingThroughMe
04-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Teams the Big East beat in the tournament:

Morehead State
Siena
Arizona
Chattanooga
Texas A&M
Purdue
Eastern Tennessee State
Oklahoma State
Xavier
American
UCLA
Stephen F. Austin
Arizona State

:clap: great tournament showing Big East. You've shown everyone that even high seeding only gets you so many free passes.

EDIT: That's wins against the #17, #18, #19, #20 teams in the country (pre-tournament). The rest are unranked.

Devils05
04-05-2009, 10:15 PM
To be fair, you missed a couple teams on that list:

#4 Pitt (granted it was a BE/BE)
#6 Duke
#9 Missouri
Utah State

JakeDelbreezy
04-06-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think they're overrated as a conference, only two teams can make the Finals and b/c one of them isn't from the Big East doesn't make the conference overrated. Just b/c UNC is in the Finals doesn't make the ACC better, same with MSU and the Big Ten. However I do think Pitt seemed a bit overrated come tourney time...I think Villanova played better than expected though.

LivingThroughMe
04-06-2009, 09:02 AM
To be fair, you missed a couple teams on that list:

#4 Pitt (granted it was a BE/BE)
#6 Duke
#9 Missouri
Utah State

Haha, thanks. I knew I would forget teams just looking at the bracket randomly. I didn't include Pitt on purpose though.

Those teams help their case, but still, I think seeding helped them a lot in this tournament and they were overrated. Not by a lot, but definitely some.

07MVPPatBurrell
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
who ever is judging because they didn't get a team to the finals is a moron.

+1.

Wrigleyboy25
04-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Hah what a really ******** thread. Big East is without question the best conference. Doesn't mean it has the best team, though.

superkegger
04-06-2009, 09:23 PM
You'd have thought they would have gotten a team in the national championship though. With 3 #1 seeds and all. It doesn't make them overrated by any means. But I am a bit surprised they didn't get a team in the National Championship.

MilfHunter07
04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
they still got 2 to the final 4 and 4 into the elite 8

lunatik487
04-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Let's take the top 8 teams in the Big East and take the top teams in the ACC (the 2nd best conference).

Big East:
Louisville, UConn, Pitt, Villanova, Marquette, Syracuse, West Virginia, Providence

ACC:
UNC, Wake, Duke, Florida St., Clemson, BC, Maryland, VA Tech

I think I'll take Big East any day.

Padres Son
04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Who ever is judging because they didn't get a team to the finals is a moron.+1

Haha, thanks. I knew I would forget teams just looking at the bracket randomly. I didn't include Pitt on purpose though.

Those teams help their case, but still, I think seeding helped them a lot in this tournament and they were overrated. Not by a lot, but definitely some.Do you even understand how an elimination tournament works? Of course seeding helped... in case you didn't notice, the #1 seeds play the #16 seeds. That's whole point of seeding is giving an advantage to the best teams from the regular season.

And, by the way, your team went 0-1 vs Big 12, 1-1 vs ACC, and 0-1 vs Big East... so I wouldn't go talking a big game about other conferences being overrated.

LivingThroughMe
04-09-2009, 05:39 PM
+1

Do you even understand how an elimination tournament works? Of course seeding helped... in case you didn't notice, the #1 seeds play the #16 seeds. That's whole point of seeding is giving an advantage to the best teams from the regular season.

And, by the way, your team went 0-1 vs Big 12, 1-1 vs ACC, and 0-1 vs Big East... so I wouldn't go talking a big game about other conferences being overrated.

Do you even understand what overrated means? It means that they were given seeds that they shouldn't have been given. They were given an advantage that they didn't deserve, according to my argument. You saying that "seeding is giving an advantage to the best teams" IS what the argument is all about.

:laugh: at you trying to slam my team. I know what you're doing, you're trying to prove that I'm biased to my own conference because I'm a Purdue fan. You don't see me on here telling you that the B12 or ACC are overrated, just because they're not "my" conference. Besides, myself as well as everyone else here at Purdue is very proud of their team for accomplishing what they did this year. Matt Painter has done more with less than a lot of other programs around the country.

Padres Son
04-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Do you even understand what overrated means? It means that they were given seeds that they shouldn't have been given. They were given an advantage that they didn't deserve, according to my argument. You saying that "seeding is giving an advantage to the best teams" IS what the argument is all about.Back up your argument. WHICH TEAM was overrated? You think Memphis should have gotten a #1? Tell me specifically which teams were overrated and I'll tell you why you're wrong.

I would think that from the way the tournament played out, it's pretty obvious that the Big East deserved the seeds they got. The conference went 17-7 and had 5 Sweet 16 teams and 2 Final Four teams. It's laughable for anyone to suggest that because a Big East team didn't win the championship, that the entire conference was overrated.

:laugh: at you trying to slam my team. I know what you're doing, you're trying to prove that I'm biased to my own conference because I'm a Purdue fan. You don't see me on here telling you that the B12 or ACC are overrated, just because they're not "my" conference. Besides, myself as well as everyone else here at Purdue is very proud of their team for accomplishing what they did this year. Matt Painter has done more with less than a lot of other programs around the country.I'm just trying to figure out why you would defend such an assinine assertion. The Big East dominated this season and had BY FAR (and I can't stress that enough) the best performance in the tournament. And yet you think it's an overrated conference... Hmmm... could that have ANYTHING to do with the fact that you're a Big 10 fan? Or do you just like defending indefensible arguments?

Kakaroach
04-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Who ever is judging because they didn't get a team to the finals is a moron. x2 Their still the best conference without a doubt.