PDA

View Full Version : Why AI Works For Charlotte

homestarunner93
04-04-2009, 12:07 AM
A place for The Answer
And so the gamble that Joe Dumars took, that a hungry Iverson could mesh with his aging vets and jerry-rig their way to contention in the East has failed. But the Pistons will move on. Come July 1, Iverson's $20.8 million will come off Detroit's books, and Dumars can promptly drop an offer sheet on Utah's Paul Millsap or New York's David Lee. Either way, Dumars wins. If Utah matches a sheet on Milsap, it would be far less likely to re-sign Carlos Boozer, another potential Detroit target. If New York matches a sheet on Lee, its plans to be a 2010 player will be severely compromised, eliminating a potential Detroit rival should Dumars decide to roll over his cap room until then.

And Iverson? He can go to the one place that would welcome his 20-25 points a night with open arms, a defensive-heavy team that needs some pop, and could make a starting spot available, with a coach that knows him better than anyone.

And that's ... Charlotte.

AI and LB, together again.

David, are you nuts? Larry Brown and Iverson feuded like a sack of wet cats in Philly. Brown said, 'He goes or I go.' Iverson said, 'I can't play for this man.' They also had other words about each other, most of which can't be printed here.

All true. And irrelevant.

Both Iverson and Brown are at different points in their lives than they were seven years ago, when Brown left the 76ers to take the Pistons' job. Brown is 68. If Charlotte isn't his last coaching stop, he can see it from there. There have been no long-term projects with Brown, and there certainly isn't one now. It's about winning as much as possible as soon as possible. He's got the Bobcats at the edge of the Eastern Conference playoff race, but Charlotte may come up a little short. With a healthy, committed Iverson next season, Charlotte becomes a factor. The more you roll it around in your noggin, the more you realize that Charlotte may be the only place AI can land next year.

At 33, Iverson's days as an eight-figure earner are over. The teams that will have that kind of cap room (Memphis, Sacramento, Oklahoma City) have no intention of spending it on him, if they spend it at all. The real contenders -- Cleveland, Boston, and the Lakers -- don't need to take the gamble of bringing AI aboard. San Antonio, Utah and New Orleans have lethal primary ballhandlers that don't need to share the rock. Iverson wouldn't go the mediocre route in Golden State, Phoenix or Dallas. He'd be a bad fit in Houston with Yao Ming, and he's too small to pair with Dwyane Wade in Miami.

Orlando? The Magic has the right mix surrounding Dwight Howard, and is grooming Courtney Lee at the two. Besides, general manager Otis Smith is a no-drama kind of executive. Portland's looking for a pure point guard, not a gunner.

Philly, Detroit and Denver are obviously out. So is Indiana; there's mutual dislike between Iverson and Pacers fans, dating to a couple of ugly incidents involving epithets tossed Iverson's way when he was in Philly. Larry Bird did tell me many years ago he'd love to have a competitor like AI on his team, but it won't happen.

Milwaukee? Minnesota? No.

Atlanta and Washington both have budget issues (the Hawks have to re-sign Marvin Williams and Mike Bibby; the Wizards are already knee-deep into the luxury tax) that would preclude signing Iverson, even if they wanted to.

New York? Chicago? The Clippers? You could make a case that Iverson could help each team, for different reasons, but the Knicks and Bulls are hoping to be major players in 2010, and it's doubtful Iverson would agree to be a one-year rental. The Clippers may be a train wreck, but they have a promising two in Eric Gordon, and until they move Baron Davis, there's no room in the backcourt.

You can make an argument for New Jersey -- if the Nets have a deal for Vince Carter in their back pocket. Devin Harris is big enough to guard twos, Iverson would be close enough to the New York market and Lord knows the Nets desperately need a draw at the gate. Toronto may have an opening if the Raptors don't get Anthony Parker and Joey Graham re-signed, and the Raptors need to add as much talent around Chris Bosh as possible. But I think both are longshots even if there was real interest.

Trust me. Charlotte makes the most sense.

Why this might just work
The Bobcats have gotten rid of most of their underachieving youngsters, and they're closer to being good than you may believe. They've swept the Lakers this season and should have taken the Celtics on Wednesday in Boston. They now have a veteran core, with Raja Bell, Boris Diaw, Vlad Radmanovic, DeSagana Diop and Juwan Howard all joining Emeka Okafor and Gerald Wallace this season. But other than Radmanovic and Wallace, none of these guys is a scorer. Diaw could be, but he's proven he's more comfortable facilitating others. D.J. Augustin is the future at the point, but have you known Brown to be the patient type at that position?

Bell is precisely the kind of two guard -- one who can make open shots, but whose forte is defense, and who is big enough to guard the other team's best backcourt scorer -- that plays best with Iverson.

Charlotte -- five hours down the road from Iverson's hometown, Newport News, Va. - -is 29th in the league in scoring and 19th in free-throw attempts. Iverson is still averaging 17.7 points this season and more than six free throws per game, which would put him just behind Wallace for the team lead. And only a recent uptick in attendance has Charlotte ranking 26th in average gate. Bob Johnson still needs someone to sell tickets in his beautiful new building.

More than the statistics, Iverson makes sense in Charlotte for the very reason so many others would say he doesn't -- his history with Brown. Iverson knows how Brown pushes his buttons, but he also knows Brown is the best coach he's ever played for. Brown knows that dealing with Iverson is a handful for a coach, but he's already done it. And he also knows no one wants to win more; changing the culture of losing in Charlotte has been one of Brown's toughest problems.

For all the times they were at each other's throats, the one memory that has always stood out to me came right after the 2001 All-Star game, in D.C., when Brown was coaching the East squad. Iverson and Stephon Marbury led a furious comeback in the fourth quarter, the East won in the final seconds and Iverson got the MVP award. And afterward, Iverson would only do interviews if Brown was at his side.

"Where my coach at?," Iverson said, over and over, until Brown came by.

Brown is Iverson's coach. Iverson is Brown's best chance to go out a winner. One of the few people with the gravitas to handle both of their immense egos and pride just happens to be the managing member of basketball operations for the Bobcats, Michael Jordan.

In Philly, Pat Croce was the boss, just tough and crazy enough to keep Iverson and Brown together for six years. But Croce didn't have the ultimate hammer. "You see this hand?" Croce asked me in 1996. "It's naked, David. And I want a ring on it."

Guess who has six of those?

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/04/02/iverson.20090402/index.html

Lions #81
04-04-2009, 08:50 AM
ok.

This offseason we do a sign and trade.
AI for B.Diaw and 1st rd pick

op12
04-04-2009, 01:43 PM
it would have to be felton and ai in the backcourt. let felton run point and cover the other sg i guess. dj and bell coming off the bench would be fine. i still think we need another big to start along side okafor. maybe a scoring big more so than someone like diop. ai could work but he could hurt, i just dont know if it would be worth it. but we do need a scoring, go 2 sg. it we brought in a good big with him i would be happy i guess.

homestarunner93
04-04-2009, 01:53 PM
ok.

Seriously? That's a horrible trade, why would we do a sign and trade when we can just sign AI one year for the MLE? I'm not sure AI is worth Diaw straight up, much less a fringe lottery pick.

IversonIsKrazy
04-04-2009, 03:56 PM
yah, y would u guys TRADE for AI? Im pretty sure he's going to be fetching around MLE. It would be a pretty good team, just maybe a bit more help in post would be needed.

PG: Felton/DJ
SG: AI/Bell
SF: G-Force/Radman
PF: Diaw/Howard
C: Oak/Diop

Coach: Larry Brown

Imagine if u guys some how get lucky to get 3rd pick and draft Jordan Hill.
We would have Hill instead of Howard backing up the PF spot.

Chateamsfan
04-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Isnt Iverson going to be free agent after this season anyway?

EX-TREME
04-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Isnt Iverson going to be free agent after this season anyway?

yes he is

Chateamsfan
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
yes he is

Exactly why we dont need to trade anything!

homestarunner93
04-04-2009, 11:28 PM
Exactly why we dont need to trade anything!

Yes, apparently this Pistons fan is intent on making a trade with the Bobcats in which the Pistons rape the Bobcats big time...I'm not really sure why, though.

Buccaneer
04-05-2009, 07:05 PM
ok.

rofl hell no...

JakeDelbreezy
04-06-2009, 07:50 AM
I'm skeptical that they should even sign for AI....if they traded for AI, that would be a horrible move. Obviously, that's not going to happen. Having said all of that, I still think it's a bad idea to get AI. He would control the ball all the time, leaving no playmaking chances for Diaw and/or Felton. He would instantly become the worst defensive player in the starting lineup essentially making the team worse on defense. But in fairness, there are some positives. The positives for AI are that he would sale tickets and he would be more than happy to take the last shot, something we sorely lack now. Aside from that though I don't think there are many more things AI can bring to the table that actually improves this team...

masalex1205
04-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow seriously? Has anybody been watching the news lately? Iverson straight up says he won't play unless he starts: what a team guy. An undersized, old, selfish, team killer. That's exactly what the Bobcats needs.

Lions #81
04-06-2009, 01:06 PM
woops totally didnt mean to add that pick and I think AI is coming here to self destruct you guys as well. But I think if Iverson wasnt a free agent this year he is still worth giving up Diaw.

masalex1205 i know he says he will do anything for the team but as soon as you put him in that situation he has a "sore back" if he is as tough and a team player as he says he is he would shut up and play.

DerekRE_3
04-06-2009, 02:04 PM
woops totally didnt mean to add that pick and I think AI is coming here to self destruct you guys as well. But I think if Iverson wasnt a free agent this year he is still worth giving up Diaw.

masalex1205 i know he says he will do anything for the team but as soon as you put him in that situation he has a "sore back" if he is as tough and a team player as he says he is he would shut up and play.

Here's the difference between Boris Diaw and Allen Iverson: Boris Diaw makes his teammates better, and Allen Iverson does not. There's no way I'd ever trade Boris Diaw for AI straight up.

homestarunner93
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM

You obviously don't realize how valuable Diaw is.

king4day
04-06-2009, 02:55 PM
ok.

AI is a Free agent. He's not going to get more than the midlevel.
Trading Diaw means he has to get 9-10 mil which he's not worth.

I didn't think Detroit fans valued AI as much as you do. :confused:

masalex1205
04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

I think the whole sore thing is a scam, I wouldn't be suprised if Iverson is done after this season.