PDA

View Full Version : Report: Disgruntled Iverson talks retirement; gets shut down for season

Wade_County
04-02-2009, 02:34 PM
Allen Iverson, who is coming off the bench and has played 18 or less minutes in his last two games, said after Wednesday's loss that he'd rather retire than come off the bench again next season.

"I'd rather retire before I do this again," Iverson said. "I can't be effective playing this way (off the bench and injured)...It's tough for me both mentally and physically. If I'm able to go out there, I should be able to get it done and I can't right now. It's my fault." Iverson, still dealing with a back and shin injury, may not get more than 20 minutes a night the rest of the way.

rotoworld

-------

Shutdown for the rest of the season - http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4040510

EX-TREME
04-02-2009, 02:45 PM
immature.

and he will be starter next season.

king4day
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Is he paying attention to their win/loss ratio?
They aren't doing it with him so why is he upset?
He's immature. He's just like Marbury in terms of how he helps a team.

GodsSon
04-02-2009, 02:50 PM
what a little ***** lol

DrDEADalready
04-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't know much about his situation. but a allstar like him shouldn't have to come off the bench.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Iverson should just head to Europe and make a ton of money, I'm sure some team would pay him just for the name he has. He has the most anti-euro game though, since they have more of an emphasis on team play.

madiaz3
04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I don't know much about his situation. but a allstar like him shouldn't have to come off the bench.

He's coming back from injury, unfortunately for him, they are realizing how much better they have been without him than with him. Because of that, he hasn't jumped back onto his starting role with starting minutes though he probably could if called upon.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 02:56 PM

He's not an all star level talent anymore.

IBleedPurple
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Practice?! Practice?! I mean, we're talking about practice!

I knew he wouldnt be happy as a role player, he needs his minutes, his shots, and his foul calls. The rest, he could care less about (defense, winning, leadership)

VCaintdead17
04-02-2009, 03:10 PM

I think he still is. He was never a well-rounded player, and can probably still average over 20 points a game given the proper minutes.

JayW_1023
04-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I think he still is. He was never a well-rounded player, and can probably still average over 20 points a game given the proper minutes.

And the proper amount of shots :rolleyes:

superkegger
04-02-2009, 03:29 PM
He's coming back from injury, unfortunately for him, they are realizing how much better they have been without him than with him. Because of that, he hasn't jumped back onto his starting role with starting minutes though he probably could if called upon.

Problem they're not good with him, but they're really not that good withouth him either.

I don't think the Pistons care all that much either. The FO seems to have made a gamble, it didn't pay off, and they're like, well screw it, it didn't work, but now we have 30 mil coming off the books. And that attitude has somewhat permeated the players, and they just don't care as much as they should.

While I think it was dumb for AI to say what he did, I understand it. I mean, he's been the focal point of his teams for about as long as he's been playing, and now he's playing 18 minutes a game. Rip wasn't happy coming off the bench either and was vocal about it. It's a ****** situation for all of em. If only we'd be so lucky for them to miss the playoffs, so we don't have to hear about it anymore.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
he needs to be in a fast paced offense, new york would be a great place for him i think, but they arleady have several guards, but i doubt they would say no to iverson especially if they lose out on 'bron and bosh like i'm pretty sure they will

Fear_GAS_OLDier
04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
theres talk of him goign to charlotte to reunite with coach brown, which might work with bell and diaw there who are used to the fast paced offense, g-force felton and augustin are young enuf to play that style, and okafor is also young enuf to adapt.

JLynn943
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM

except that they were no better without him than they are with him

I just hope he's back in Philly next year

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Getting over 20 ppg doesn't make you an all star...ask Kevin Martin.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 04:06 PM
theres talk of him goign to charlotte to reunite with coach brown, which might work with bell and diaw there who are used to the fast paced offense, g-force felton and augustin are young enuf to play that style, and okafor is also young enuf to adapt.

I hope to god that doesn't happen, it would ruin them. And there's no way they go with a fast paced, offense. That isn't Larry Brown's style.

40oz
04-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I'd rather hear a player wanting time then being happy sitting around.

thesparky33
04-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Just have him go to Boston... :rolleyes:

RealistRocket34
04-02-2009, 04:31 PM
He should go to the Magic or Warriors, he can chuck shots all day and nobody will be mad at him.

RealistRocket34
04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Can somebody tell me how many excuses this guy is allowed to have? This forum is all about loving season players instead of primetime playoff performers.

Allen Iverson in the past 2 years as a Nugget was never blamed for anything by the media or by typical NBA fans. Most nugget fans realize he actually was hurting the team. Most Carmelo Anthony fans really hate him, because he destroyed his development as a player.

This guy is an absolute excuse machine, Or does he not fit in with the Pistons? Or the Nuggets? Or the 76ers?

Jacob K.
04-02-2009, 04:55 PM
maybe he'll be the shaq of next year?

UK Bull
04-02-2009, 05:06 PM

Yeah i can see him going to the bobcats to next year. He wont retire

The Ooh Child
04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Haha, is this supposed to be a threat? Don't be such a baby AI. Come on back to Philly. We'll put you on the floor

Frank Costanza
04-02-2009, 05:28 PM
i don't know much about his situation. But a allstar like him shouldn't have to come off the bench.

+10000

durtee
04-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Can somebody tell me how many excuses this guy is allowed to have? This forum is all about loving season players instead of primetime playoff performers.

Allen Iverson in the past 2 years as a Nugget was never blamed for anything by the media or by typical NBA fans. Most nugget fans realize he actually was hurting the team. Most Carmelo Anthony fans really hate him, because he destroyed his development as a player.

This guy is an absolute excuse machine, Or does he not fit in with the Pistons? Or the Nuggets? Or the 76ers?

:yawn:

Vinny642
04-02-2009, 05:49 PM

He should want to win, and the only way thats happening is if he plays the 6th man role, he isn't doing it as a starter for detroit anymore, IMO he is acting like a big baby.

RealistRocket34
04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
He should want to win, and the only way thats happening is if he plays the 6th man role, he isn't doing it as a starter for detroit anymore, IMO he is acting like a big baby.
Iverson fans in 3....2....1.... You are going to get flamed, Iverson is vastly overrated on this forum. Everybody sticks up for him, yet Iverson fans think he's hated around here. I've been on other forums, and they rip on Iverson the majority of the time.

theimortalone
04-02-2009, 06:03 PM
Allen Iverson, who is coming off the bench and has played 18 or less minutes in his last two games, said after Wednesday's loss that he'd rather retire than come off the bench again next season.

"I'd rather retire before I do this again," Iverson said. "I can't be effective playing this way (off the bench and injured)...It's tough for me both mentally and physically. If I'm able to go out there, I should be able to get it done and I can't right now. It's my fault." Iverson, still dealing with a back and shin injury, may not get more than 20 minutes a night the rest of the way.

rotoworld

Wow A.I. :pity: I realize that he deserves to start, but jesus, retire over this? :pity:

Vinny642
04-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't care if I get flamed for speaking the truth, they know he isn't helping Detroit by complaining and when he started he wasn't getting them wins. Yes He was great back in the day but right now, 6th man for Detroit is where he should want to be.

Vinny642
04-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Wow A.I. :pity: I realize that he deserves to start, but jesus, retire over this? :pity:

Exactly thats the main reason I called him a big baby

pd7631
04-02-2009, 06:13 PM
This season has gone as bad as it possibly could for AI. I think that his recent comments are a result of the culmination of the frustration he's felt this year. He definitely needs a change of scenery and a new year to start so he can wash away this past season. He shouldn't have said this though, he's gotta just gut it out and then move on from this. He wears his emotions on his sleeve, and he always has, so it doesn't surprise me that he would start venting(it's this trait that makes him loved and hated by so many).

PhillyForLife90
04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
As much as I love Iverson, this wasn't necessary. Just stick it out, and when the offseason comes, do as you wish. However with this economy the way it is, he shouldn't think that once he's in free agency, he's going to get a lot of money because chances are he won't especially given his age as well.

still1ballin
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
cancer

SeoulBeatz
04-02-2009, 06:46 PM

I knew he wouldnt be happy as a role player, he needs his minutes, his shots, and his foul calls. The rest, he could care less about (defense, winning, leadership)

he may not be the best defender, but anyone who calls themselves a basketball fan should know that A.I wants to win more than anything and gives his all everygame, but he is not going to come off the bench, he's not a bench player. He needs to be a main guy, and unfortunately, thats not gonna happen in deeetroit.

LanceUpperCut
04-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I wonder what kind of money AI gets next year?

ink
04-02-2009, 06:52 PM
he may not be the best defender, but anyone who calls themselves a basketball fan should know that A.I wants to win more than anything and gives his all everygame, but he is not going to come off the bench, he's not a bench player. He needs to be a main guy, and unfortunately, thats not gonna happen in deeetroit.

I don't think that's going to happen anywhere. Only his own personal fan base still believe a team can win with him. He's got the skills but he never has been able to grasp the whole picture: basketball is more than 1on1. At this point he'd be a liability to any team he's on.

I'd rather see him retire so the era of MJ wannabe's can wind down once and for all.

pd7631
04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't think that's going to happen anywhere. Only his own personal fan base still believe a team can win with him. He's got the skills but he never has been able to grasp the whole picture: basketball is more than 1on1. At this point he'd be a liability to any team he's on.

I'd rather see him retire so the era of MJ wannabe's can wind down once and for all.

what makes him an MJ wannabe?

He used to say in interviews during his Sixer years that people are trying to make him into Michael Jordan and he just wanted to be himself.

Brooke
04-02-2009, 06:59 PM
What a whiner.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 06:59 PM

I'm sure AI wants to win, but the way he plays, he makes the guys around him worse and he hurts his team. And as he gets older, it's only going to get worse. As he declines, he is not going to change the way he approaches the game. He will most likely be too stubborn to take on any role different to being the go to guy on offense.

pd7631
04-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I'm sure AI wants to win, but the way he plays, he makes the guys around him worse and he hurts his team. And as he gets older, it's only going to get worse. As he declines, he is not going to change the way he approaches the game. He will most likely be too stubborn to take on any role different to being the go to guy on offense.

Is it fair to say that Allen Iverson makes offensively gifted teammates worse and defensive minded teammates better?

I think everyone wants to say that he makes all his teammates worse, but he made guys like Tyrone Hill, George Lynch, Eric Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc. much better players. All those guys were nothings before they played with AI, and then nothings after they played with AI.....he made them relevant in the NBA.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Is it fair to say that Allen Iverson makes offensively gifted teammates worse and defensive minded teammates better?

I think everyone wants to say that he makes all his teammates worse, but he made guys like Tyrone Hill, George Lynch, Eric Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc. much better players. All those guys were nothings before they played with AI, and then nothings after they played with AI.....he made them relevant in the NBA.

That was 9 years ago, I'm talking about now. He isn't the same player he was back then. And like you said, he was playing with guys that weren't that offensively gifted, but were great on the defensive end. He was a good fit for that team.

Can you think of a team that Allen Iverson would fit in with next year? I can't.

blacknell
04-02-2009, 07:50 PM
iverson needs to be on a team where he can take over again he can still put up 25-30 every night

Jaydes
04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
All Iverson Haters Are Terrible....:mad:

Plus, he is obvously venting over the issue of riding the bench. The "retirement" quote was scarcastic.

I hope to all that is above that he finds his way back to Philly next year. Willie Green is weak and if we rotat Iggy, Miller, A.I. and Young in the 1, 2, and 3, positions....WE WOULD BE A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM!

fudgyamutha...

:eyebrow:

_KB24_
04-02-2009, 08:13 PM
i feel sorry for him because his career is over and he will never get the chance at a ring as the main man. One of the greatest players of all time not to win a championship

rapswin98
04-02-2009, 08:16 PM
retire already, youll never win a championship anyways

Penetra8r
04-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Poor Iverson... Hes washed up, old... Too bad he never won the big one

Kakaroach
04-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Go to Charlotte and make them a legit playoff team. That is his best move after this season.

DerekRE_3
04-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Go to Charlotte and make them a legit playoff team. That is his best move after this season.

Oh god no....They already are a legit playoff team. 12-6 record since Feb. 25th. They just needed time to gel/get healthy. They have done a complete roster overhaul during the middle of the season.

mkool65
04-02-2009, 10:57 PM
We are just ready to see him go as Detroit fans. Just finish out this season by making as little noise off the court as he made on it and we will be happy. Once the season is over, he will be gone and we can forget this ever happened. Every true Piston fan is just sick of his BS style of play, we are just gonna take the cap room and run.

ink
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
what makes him an MJ wannabe?

He used to say in interviews during his Sixer years that people are trying to make him into Michael Jordan and he just wanted to be himself.

He's part of a group of players that were regarded as MJ's successors and they played that way. Whether he literally wanted to be MJ or not, that style of player is going extinct. New era players like Wade, Lebron, and CP3 are talented TEAM oriented players.

Kakaroach
04-02-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh god no....They already are a legit playoff team. 12-6 record since Feb. 25th. They just needed time to gel/get healthy. They have done a complete roster overhaul during the middle of the season. Thats true lol. But that was what that NBA article said, and it makes sense if he comes off of the bench for instant scoring which the Cats desperately need.

Sportfan
04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Iverson should just head to Europe and make a ton of money, I'm sure some team would pay him just for the name he has. He has the most anti-euro game though, since they have more of an emphasis on team play.

So why would a Europe team offer him a huge contract if he won't mesh with them?

KiLLaHDiCe12
04-02-2009, 11:26 PM
except that they were no better without him than they are with him

i just hope he's back in philly next year

amen brother!

Kakaroach
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
^^Why do Philly fans want him back when the 76ers are the 5th seed and are one of the better teams in the East? That just sounds strange to me.

Trouble87
04-02-2009, 11:52 PM
there comes a time when every players role gets diminished... his skill level is still high but he's on the decline.

time to pack it up and head back to Philly

DerekRE_3
04-03-2009, 12:06 AM
So why would a Europe team offer him a huge contract if he won't mesh with them?

Money. He's a big name.

DerekRE_3
04-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Thats true lol. But that was what that NBA article said, and it makes sense if he comes off of the bench for instant scoring which the Cats desperately need.

Did you not see his quote where he said he'd rather retire than come off the bench? And the Bobcats don't need scoring desperately. They are more of a defensive, half court team anyways. And they have 6 guys getting double figures (almost 7, Radman is getting 9 ppg off the bench). We just don't have a 20 ppg scorer. We tried that with J-Rich, and it failed.

pd7631
04-03-2009, 12:35 AM
^^Why do Philly fans want him back when the 76ers are the 5th seed and are one of the better teams in the East? That just sounds strange to me.

pretty funny how a supposed selfish player that doesn't care about winning,is just a crybaby, and never did anything in his career but make teams worse...managed to be accepted by the toughest fan base in the country to gain approval of, isn't it?

We want him back because he turned our franchise from crap to a winner.

We want him back because he spoke spoke out when he was upset with things rather than giving cookie cutter answers all the time.

We want him back because no matter how bad bad the talent was around him he always felt like the Sixers could win a championship.

We want him back because he gave everything he had night in and night out for 10+ years.

“If I leave Philadelphia, it's not because I want to leave. I'm still in love with the place. I want to be here.”-Allen Iverson

ink
04-03-2009, 12:44 AM
pretty funny how a supposed selfish player that doesn't care about winning,is just a crybaby, and never did anything in his career but make teams worse...managed to be accepted by the toughest fan base in the country to gain approval of, isn't it?

Why does being accepted by a tough fan base validate selfish play??? :confused: The one doesn't prove or disprove the other.

pd7631
04-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Why does being accepted by a tough fan base validate selfish play??? :confused: The one doesn't prove or disprove the other.

Because we wouldn't accept him if he was all those things that he's being accused of being.

pd7631
04-03-2009, 12:55 AM
He's part of a group of players that were regarded as MJ's successors and they played that way. Whether he literally wanted to be MJ or not, that style of player is going extinct. New era players like Wade, Lebron, and CP3 are talented TEAM oriented players.

what do you mean by "they played that way"?

How did AI play like the next Jordan? and how is Lebron James not regarded as "the next MJ" that's what all the hype was about him when he came into the league.

LeonFSU
04-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I think he'd be a pretty good fit for the Utah Jazz.

kobe24>lebron23
04-03-2009, 01:16 AM
shasha vujacic, farmar 4 iverson

ink
04-03-2009, 01:27 AM
what do you mean by "they played that way"?

How did AI play like the next Jordan?

He dominates the ball. Problem is, he isn't nearly the leader, and he isn't nearly as efficient.

Right after Jordan, teams looked for the next player that would "carry the team" like MJ did. It never happened. Thankfully that era is coming to an end and players are more team-oriented.

ink
04-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Because we wouldn't accept him if he was all those things that he's being accused of being.

I'm sure his fans would accept him on personality and marketing alone.

bigvdebo86
04-03-2009, 01:40 AM
wow not an allstar talent anymore wow umm last year he did avg 26ppg and 7 apg so wheres is that coming from coming off the bench is one thing but only playing 18 min come on now

toisdabest81
04-03-2009, 01:57 AM

Yeah he is

Hellcrooner
04-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Not unexpected the reason i never liked Iverson is i always thought he was overated because of his scoring numbers and that people didnt care to take attention on how many shots he took anbd how many times he mised the open man to take a bad shot.

ANYONE in the league can average in 30s if they shoot 25-30 times a game.

Thats why he "sucks" on the bench.

Because if you took 35 shots and missed 70% of them but you still scored 35 points no one cares to complain.

But when you make just 1 shot from 6 and you score 2 points...Uh oh!!!

DerekRE_3
04-03-2009, 05:11 AM
wow not an allstar talent anymore wow umm last year he did avg 26ppg and 7 apg so wheres is that coming from coming off the bench is one thing but only playing 18 min come on now

Key word....last year. This year....not an all star talent.

bigvdebo86
04-03-2009, 05:42 AM
beacause this year hes on a team that wont give him the damn ball next year hell be avg 26 again easy come on now get real if any overated on pistons it rip who never pass the ball sheed who only plays when he wants to tayshaun who is the most overated player in the damn league dont let me start on stckey

Becks2307
04-03-2009, 05:56 AM
he should totally come to NY..he would get to run the show and he would lead the league in scoring....meh championships are overrated...lol

hotdogbun
04-03-2009, 06:43 AM

he still is just not in detroit... he is a coming off a 26 ppg season w/ denver. the pistons type of play just doesnt match iverson. the pistons doesnt need a superstar on their team and if you put any superstar on the pistons that superstar would suck. put wade and he would average just close to 20 ppg. or put kobe and he would also suck.

next season iverson should sign with a team that would make him the teams top scoring option. he still can average 26+ ppg detroit just sucks. put iverson in charlotte and he would average 26 ppg especially that he is one of larry browns favorite players. or new york, toronto, philly, sacramento could also use him and kmart + ai can be melo+ai 2

hotdogbun
04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Key word....last year. This year....not an all star talent.

how do you know if he doesnt have all star talent anymore? you could never determine that when he is playing with detroit. put him in nyk THIS YEAR and he would get 26 ppg

hotdogbun
04-03-2009, 06:49 AM
He dominates the ball. Problem is, he isn't nearly the leader, and he isn't nearly as efficient.

Right after Jordan, teams looked for the next player that would "carry the team" like MJ did. It never happened. Thankfully that era is coming to an end and players are more team-oriented.

uhmm he always carries his team to the playoffs and carried his 76ers to the finals. now he just cant carry the pistons cuz it aint his team. like the spurs is duncan's team, the lakers is kobe's team, the cavs is lebron's team, heat is wade's team, etc.

Becks2307
04-03-2009, 06:51 AM
imo iverson can average 30+for the knicks

JayW_1023
04-03-2009, 06:52 AM
Larry Brown and Iverson still have mutual respect...but Brown will not go through the headaches he had with AI during those Sixers years. LB failed to mold Iverson into a point guard, so instead he built a great team of roleplayers that would give the Sixers the best possible team to complement Iversons skills and elusive tendencies.

In Charlotte Brown will not want Iverson but he is already dealing with Ray Felton...another undersized guard who doesn't have the mindset of the point man the way Brown likes it. There is a reason why Brown, notorious for not playing rookies, is starting DJ Augustin.

AI would only cause distractions and more headaches on a rising Bobcats team that is starting to click chemistry-wise...and that's the last thing you want. There is no way with the perimeter guys Charlotte has AI will get the minutes he desires.

DenButsu
04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Anthony, teammates don’t want Iverson to retire

By Chris Tomasson

Carmelo Anthony wants an answer from “The Answer.’’

Anthony has heard the quotes from an unhappy Allen Iverson threatening to retire. The Nuggets forward hopes he’s not serious, and plans soon to contact Iverson.

“I’ll call him up and see what’s up,’’ Anthony said before Thursday’s game against Utah about reaching out to his former teammate, traded last November from Denver to Detroit. “I hope (Iverson isn’t serious about retiring). I don’t want to see him ago, but I don’t know his situation.’’

Iverson’s retirement threat was the talk of the Nuggets’ locker room before they faced the Jazz at the Pepsi Center. After recently going from...indenvertimes (http://www.indenvertimes.com/2009/04/03/anthony-teammates-dont-want-iverson-to-retire/)

ink
04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
uhmm he always carries his team to the playoffs and carried his 76ers to the finals. now he just cant carry the pistons cuz it aint his team. like the spurs is duncan's team, the lakers is kobe's team, the cavs is lebron's team, heat is wade's team, etc.

uhmm lol on a scale of 1 to 10 of sports cliches, "carrying your team" is a 16.

Wade_County
04-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Iverson will start somewhere next year, I think the biggest thing hurting him is going to be next years FAs

MJ-BULLS
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
im sure he will find a place next year, and will start

jimbobjarree
04-03-2009, 01:36 PM
if he wants to start so much why dont he go to europe, he can start all he wants there

DerekRE_3
04-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Larry Brown and Iverson still have mutual respect...but Brown will not go through the headaches he had with AI during those Sixers years. LB failed to mold Iverson into a point guard, so instead he built a great team of roleplayers that would give the Sixers the best possible team to complement Iversons skills and elusive tendencies.

In Charlotte Brown will not want Iverson but he is already dealing with Ray Felton...another undersized guard who doesn't have the mindset of the point man the way Brown likes it. There is a reason why Brown, notorious for not playing rookies, is starting DJ Augustin.

AI would only cause distractions and more headaches on a rising Bobcats team that is starting to click chemistry-wise...and that's the last thing you want. There is no way with the perimeter guys Charlotte has AI will get the minutes he desires.

Actually, DJ Augustin is not starting, and guess who plays during crunch time? Raymond Felton. In their Double OT loss against the Celtics, it was Raymond Felton who played all the minutes in the last 5 minutes of regulation, and all of the 1st OT and all of the 2nd OT. DJ Augustin didn't see the floor, despite having 14 points in limited minutes. DJ Augustin has started 6 games this season, and he did that when Raja Bell was hurt. Larry Brown actually really likes Raymond Felton, and has been quoted as saying he is a "very special person." Felton has been great under Larry Brown, and is very receptive to his teaching. I can't stand it when people call Felton a combo guard...the only reason why they say that is his first two years he played SG because we had nobody else at the position. It was either start Brevin Knight and Raymond Felton in the backcourt or start Felton and Matt Carroll, a d-leaguer.

DerekRE_3
04-03-2009, 02:20 PM
how do you know if he doesnt have all star talent anymore? you could never determine that when he is playing with detroit. put him in nyk THIS YEAR and he would get 26 ppg

Ok, so he gets 26 PPG, but by doing that would he help his team? Did he help his team in Denver? I think the Billups trade proves that he didn't. Look at them without him. And Al Harrington gets over 20 PPG in NYK, is he an all star talent?

ink
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Ok, so he gets 26 PPG, but by doing that would he help his team? Did he help his team in Denver? I think the Billups trade proves that he didn't. Look at them without him. And Al Harrington gets over 20 PPG in NYK, is he an all star talent?

What are you saying man?? Everyone knows you just have to score a lot of points to be a great player. :smoking: The more points, the closer you are to GOAT status right?

pd7631
04-03-2009, 02:50 PM

The Western Conference this year is much worse than it was a year ago.....

Allen Iverson gets talked about like the Nuggets were a 30 win team with him on it, they won 50 games last year!

He also averaged 7 assists and 2 steals while shooting .458% from the field

If Allen Iverson had a championship there would be no comparison between the two.....and if you can't see that then you need to check yourself

Everyone is so concerned with championships(don't get me wrong, that's all I want for my Sixers) but because a player doesn't have a ring doesn't make him a cancer, or a horrible player. He's one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and he is 3rd all time in scoring average at 6 foot nothing 165 pounds!

People's mindsets are "what have you done for me lately", so they see that the Nuggets are good and the Pistons are bad, but they totally overlook the other 12 years of AI's career. He made the Sixers a better team!(even though all the haters seem to think that he makes every team he's on worse)

charlsdq7
04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
I understand where hes coming from...hes always been a franchise player and now a bench warmer...AI comeback to philly

Hellcrooner
04-03-2009, 03:42 PM
i think what woudl be best for him and his image is accept a minimum contract at PHILY

hotpotato1092
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Is he paying attention to their win/loss ratio?
They aren't doing it with him so why is he upset?
He's immature. He's just like Marbury in terms of how he helps a team.

Ok that's just wrong, when you compare Allen Iverson to Stephon Marbury I have to step in. I'm a Knicks fan, I know how awful Marbury was. Allen Iverson was and is a complete warrior. No player has EVER taken the punishment he has, when he retires he's gonna have some health problems. He's played dozens of games hurt throughout his career and he lead a team that would have been picking in the top five without him to the finals. Allen Iverson is a legitimate hall of famer, he'd do anything to win a title and he by no means deserves to be compared to Stephon Marbury.

mballa22191
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Saw it on espn bottom line.

Frank Costanza
04-03-2009, 05:09 PM
dont leave us IVERSON

Frank Costanza
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
damn maybe it lowers his market value this offseason

Purugskid
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
bout time. I'm tired of his whining

mballa22191
04-03-2009, 05:12 PM
bad look for AI

mballa22191
04-03-2009, 05:13 PM
got the story for you guys http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4040510

EX-TREME
04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
bout time. I'm tired of his whining

me too

cantstopthee
04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
good,we might win a game now

Jonathan2323
04-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe he just doesnt want to play their no more or Detroit management doesnt want him to play no more. i doubt its just a back issue.

Frank Costanza
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Maybe he just doesnt want to play their no more or Detroit management doesnt want him to play no more. i doubt its just a back issue.

exactly, doesnt anyone find this shutting down a lil fishy a couple days after iverson said he wont ride the bench, i think detroit city just said Faak it, your not helping us , your out, better luck in Free agency

BTownTeamsRKing
04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
damn it. detriot will be good again.

DitchDat
04-03-2009, 06:32 PM
this guy is destroying his own legacy.

He's not "The Answer", he's "The Ego".

JordansBulls
04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Detroit won't have a chance in the playoffs if Iverson doesn't play.

Wilson
04-03-2009, 06:42 PM
OK, I just wrote a big post, posted it, read it again, then the thread got moved, and then my post disappeared...:mad:

Anyways, here I go again:

I'm rooting for Iverson to do well next season, I think people have been too harsh on Iverson this season considering the circumstances.

I said from the second I heard about the trade that Iverson and Detroit won't fit, it was obvious. It's not just Iverson's fault that the team started struggling. Who ever looked at that backcourt and said "Yeah, something's wrong there, they need to change the backcourt"?

I think people have just blown this interview out of proportion. He didn't say "I need to start now or I'll retire". He said he wants to start somewhere next season. What's so wrong about that? He also said that it's a struggle for him to come off the bench because he can't get into a rhythm, and said that he's got respect for anyone who can do that. Again, what's so wrong with him saying that? Whenever someone says they're going to do something, and then they struggle, people rip them to shreds, but when Iverson says that he can't do something, suddenly he's a huge problem?

He also said in the interview that his back is still giving him problems, so it shouldn't be that suprising to hear that he's going to sit down. For the past five years or so, people have been saying "Iverson's going to slow down this year, he's getting older and he's taken too many falls...", then he finally has to miss some time, and he's the devil!

I think Iverson has matured a lot since he came into the league, and people have been way too quick to critisize him this season.

dbow1920
04-03-2009, 06:55 PM
good news for my fantasy team...too bad it didnt happen like a week ago...i could have had gilbert instead i am stuck with birdman

Chronz
04-03-2009, 07:04 PM
This bodes well for the Pistons but he was their biggest x-factor coming into the playoffs.

ink
04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
^ Perhaps, but he was also their biggest ? too. Now they'll be able to focus without the distractions.

SpeedyRecovery
04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
man i feel old when were talking about AI being slow and run down! next it will be cp3 should get a wheelchair.

Wilson
04-03-2009, 07:22 PM
man i feel old when were talking about AI being slow and run down! next it will be cp3 should get a wheelchair.

:laugh2:

THE_FLASH_21
04-03-2009, 07:25 PM
LOL Man poor A.I ... I thought he was gonna fit perfect in DET.. Guess i was wrong about him.

Wilson
04-03-2009, 07:29 PM
LOL Man poor A.I ... I thought he was gonna fit perfect in DET.. Guess i was wrong about him.

What made you think that? The backcourt of Billups and Hamilton was always one of Detroit's main strengths, and it was always clear that Billups and Iverson were entirely different players.

JayW_1023
04-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Actually, DJ Augustin is not starting, and guess who plays during crunch time? Raymond Felton. In their Double OT loss against the Celtics, it was Raymond Felton who played all the minutes in the last 5 minutes of regulation, and all of the 1st OT and all of the 2nd OT. DJ Augustin didn't see the floor, despite having 14 points in limited minutes. DJ Augustin has started 6 games this season, and he did that when Raja Bell was hurt. Larry Brown actually really likes Raymond Felton, and has been quoted as saying he is a "very special person." Felton has been great under Larry Brown, and is very receptive to his teaching. I can't stand it when people call Felton a combo guard...the only reason why they say that is his first two years he played SG because we had nobody else at the position. It was either start Brevin Knight and Raymond Felton in the backcourt or start Felton and Matt Carroll, a d-leaguer.

When I said, 'deal with Ray Felton' it wasn't meant negatively...Felton has been great this season. But his ability to play both guard positions makes it hard for Iverson to find a spot...and I didn't know Augustin wasn't starting, yes....but he still plays significant minutes for a rookie on a Larry Brown team. Felton even though he has been playing well, isn't the traditional point guard and that's why he and Augustin share floor time. That I have known.

I do understand my comment was easy to interpret as criticism towards Felton so I apologise for that.

SeoulBeatz
04-03-2009, 07:53 PM

its simple.

we saw the best years of iverson and got to watch everygame, where (contrary to popular belief) he played harder than anyone else on the court and led the NBA in minutes played 4 years in arow and won 3 scoring titles during that span too. Leading our team to the playoffs 6 years and the NBA finals once. If he were a lazy ***** as everyone on this board seems to think, then he would have never led the NBA in minutes per game. All he wanted to do was win, and the only team he can do so is Philly.

We saw the real A.I, not the one the media, who wants you to think he's no better than Stephon Marbury.

The media labels him a criminal, selfish, arrogant.

Philly fans see him as a warrior, the biggest heart in basketball, a leader, and a genuinely good guy. Ive met the dude before and in person he is very down to earth, certainly not well spoken, but hes a happy dude and loves life and basketball.

Its easy to hate iverson now, this happens to the best of players. They get old, but he always has a place in philly.

he did too much for this team and he would actually work in this offense becuase we need a guy who can score well from the PG position. And hes a better fastbreak player than Andre MIller, it would work fine. Especially when Brand comes back, Sixers fans are crossing their fingers that this will come to fruition.

Hes not an easy player to win with, but it can be done, and when he's in his niche hes one of the best in the NBA. He has lost a step, but he can still be effective in this league and i hope he comes back next year.

one final note, if any of you actually read the interview ALLEN IVERSON GOES ON TO SAY:

"It's my fault. I have to be able to overcome the adversity and do what I have to do. I just have to find a way to get it done. Not being 100 percent makes it harder and you can see that I'm not 100 percent."

the media strikes again, but go ahead, keep hating iverson, theres really nothing i can do and its sad.

Kakaroach
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
We all know this really wasn't because of his back, but because of how bad this team is with him. Kinda sad if he actually retires though. I would like him to go to a team so he can stay in the league at least.

ink
04-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't think I've ever heard AI called lazy as SeoulBeatz suggests.

Just that if he had made a few of those practices he might have learned about D and playing with his teammates. ;)

We all know he worked hard and played tough. It just didn't amount to much more than scoring and all star appearances. The people who object to that kind of basketball didn't just SUDDENLY stop liking AI. They knew for most of his career that he didn't have the team skills to succeed in a team game.

Larry Brown offered those at practice.

SeoulBeatz
04-03-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't think I've ever heard AI called lazy as SeoulBeatz suggests.

Just that if he had made a few of those practices he might have learned about D and playing with his teammates. ;)

We all know he worked hard and played tough. It just didn't amount to much more than scoring and all star appearances. The people who object to that kind of basketball didn't just SUDDENLY stop liking AI. They knew for most of his career that he didn't have the team skills to succeed in a team game.

Larry Brown offered those at practice.

...it also amounted to a finals appearance and 4 second round appearances.

I get where your coming from but Iverson practiced. He actually only missed a few practices his whole career as a sixer. I know this because my friends dad works for the sixers and was at every practice from 98-04.

once again, the media strikes. A.I's whole "practice... we talkin about practice?" gets blown out of proportion and suddenly the guy never practices?

jesus

ink
04-03-2009, 08:16 PM
...it also amounted to a finals appearance and 4 second round appearances.

I get where your coming from but Iverson practiced. He actually only missed a few practices his whole career as a sixer. I know this because my friends dad works for the sixers and was at every practice from 98-04.

once again, the media strikes. A.I's whole "practice... we talkin about practice?" gets blown out of proportion and suddenly the guy never practices?

jesus

I wasn't completely serious about the practices. lol. But it is telling that he couldn't understand why they were so important. Obviously he didn't need any practice for his INDIVIDUAL skills. He just wasn't wired for a team game. We'll never agree on this one. You're a fan, I'm not. :D

Kakaroach
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
^^There is no doubting his will to play and his toughness on the court. Its just sad he never learned to play with good players on a good team.

Westbrook36
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM

He does not have to be a Leader and He cares about winning ALOT.

SteveNash
04-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Allen Iverson was lazy. He always wanted to play come game time, but never wanted to do the dirty work to improve himself as a player.

ink
04-03-2009, 08:43 PM
^ I'm obviously not a fan of his but I think that's ridiculous. I draw the line at people who say that the guy gave less than 100%. His heart was in the right place but he wasn't built to be a team player.

The reason he wanted to play only at game time was because he was often nursing injuries. It wasn't because of laziness. Don't assume the worst about people. I'd say the same thing to people who say he's a "cancer". He's not. His problem is that he only knows one way to play and it doesn't win.

JerzeyFresh
04-03-2009, 08:44 PM
everyone that said he is immature are a bunch of retards he said it was his fault and clearly stated that he is angry with himself. Hell be a starter next year and i hope he comes back to Philly.

unwantedplayer
04-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Allen Iverson was lazy. He always wanted to play come game time, but never wanted to do the dirty work to improve himself as a player.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there. He played with heart and played 100% night in and night out. Call him lazy as much as you want, be he will always be a great scorer. Maybe not so much today because he is getting a bit old, but he was earlier in his career. However, if he turned himself into a team player, he would have been able to win atleast one championship.

SteveNash
04-03-2009, 08:52 PM
^ I'm obviously not a fan of his but I think that's ridiculous. I draw the line at people who say that the guy gave less than 100%. His heart was in the right place but he wasn't built to be a team player.

The reason he wanted to play only at game time was because he was often nursing injuries. It wasn't because of laziness. Don't assume the worst about people. I'd say the same thing to people who say he's a "cancer". He's not. His problem is that he only knows one way to play and it doesn't win.

Do you really think he gave 100% on the defensive end? I don't.

I do agree with your point about him only knowing how to play one way. When he tries to fit in and be a good team member he'll thinks all that means is to take less shots and give the ball up earlier. That doesn't mean he is not team cancer. Cancer is still cancer even if it isn't self aware. Iverson is cancer (at least to the Pistons) even if he isn't self conscious.

ink
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Do you really think he gave 100% on the defensive end? I don't.

I do agree with your point about him only knowing how to play one way. When he tries to fit in and be a good team member he'll thinks all that means is to take less shots and give the ball up earlier. That doesn't mean he is not team cancer. Cancer is still cancer even if it isn't self aware. Iverson is cancer (at least to the Pistons) even if he isn't self conscious.

Calling a player a "cancer" is making a personal judgment. None of us knows ANYTHING about these players personally and we're not in a position to judge. It's pretty lame to judge other people's motives when we don't have a clue about them. I've never seen anything that indicates that AI wasn't trying. He just doesn't own the team skill set.

Wilson
04-03-2009, 10:23 PM

I think that's the fairest assesment of Iverson. I don't see him as a guy who's just out there looking for his own stats at the expense of the team.

I do think you can win a championship with Iverson in his prime, you just need a post threat and a good defender in the backcourt with him. Unfortunately for him, he never really had that though.

Philly4life84
04-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Why is everybody hating on him what he said was the mature thing to say? He blamed it all on himself. Give the guy a break. geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

IversonIsKrazy
04-03-2009, 10:54 PM
I saw the discussion on Game Time. Ai blamed it on himself, so u cant call him immature. Its not only that he doesnt wanna play off the bench, HE CANT. He cant come off the bench at the end of the 1st quarter cold, get hot then sit. Midway 3rd come off cold, get hot and sit off again. Its even worse w/ his back, but i noe that he can still play. Theres bin a lotta rumors that he'll go 2 Charlotte though. Man, charlotte would be the perfect team, they would've won the championship if AI was in his prime with the same players & coach surrounding him.

GunFactor187
04-03-2009, 10:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlzPFm44Wac

AI4MVP
04-04-2009, 04:38 PM
u AI haters are ridiculous

AI, at 6 foot(thats friendly), is the leading ppg of anyone thats in the league right now.

In 2001, Allen Iverson single handedly CARRIED literally CARRIED his team all the way to the NBA finals. he had NOONE on that team and he carried them all the way there.

How far has Shaq gotten without Kobe or Wade?

How far has Kobe gotten with Shaq or Gasol?

How far has Wade gotten without Shaq?

How far has Duncan gotten without Robinson, Parker, or Ginobli?

**** ill even go as far to say: How far has Michael Jordan gotten without Pippen.

Exactly...NO WHERE.

the only player i can think of right now that went to the finals with a supporting cast as bad as Allen Iverson is LeBron James.

So i have no idea how you can talk **** about a player that is one of the only players that TRUELY SINGLE HANDEDLY CARRIED his team so close to immortality.

Also, how can you hate on the fact that he is undoubtably the toughest player in NBA history and plays with just as much heart as anyone?

I guarantee all of you, if it was iverson playing along side shaq in those laker days, the lakers would have won more then 3 in a row. And i guarantee you, if Kobe was on the sixers the years that Iverson was carrying them, then they would not have been as successful.

Until Garnett was put in a better situation, he never won a title either. Heck, AI's teams were much more successfull then KG's wolves. But KG was put in the perfect situation and he won. How do you know that AI wont be put in his perfect situation?

No matter what you guys say, Allen Iverson is one of the top 15 players of all time

pd7631
04-04-2009, 05:08 PM
u AI haters are ridiculous

AI, at 6 foot(thats friendly), is the leading ppg of anyone thats in the league right now.

In 2001, Allen Iverson single handedly CARRIED literally CARRIED his team all the way to the NBA finals. he had NOONE on that team and he carried them all the way there.

How far has Shaq gotten without Kobe or Wade?

How far has Kobe gotten with Shaq or Gasol?

How far has Wade gotten without Shaq?

How far has Duncan gotten without Robinson, Parker, or Ginobli?

**** ill even go as far to say: How far has Michael Jordan gotten without Pippen.

Exactly...NO WHERE.

the only player i can think of right now that went to the finals with a supporting cast as bad as Allen Iverson is LeBron James.

So i have no idea how you can talk **** about a player that is one of the only players that TRUELY SINGLE HANDEDLY CARRIED his team so close to immortality.

Also, how can you hate on the fact that he is undoubtably the toughest player in NBA history and plays with just as much heart as anyone?

I guarantee all of you, if it was iverson playing along side shaq in those laker days, the lakers would have won more then 3 in a row. And i guarantee you, if Kobe was on the sixers the years that Iverson was carrying them, then they would not have been as successful.

Until Garnett was put in a better situation, he never won a title either. Heck, AI's teams were much more successfull then KG's wolves. But KG was put in the perfect situation and he won. How do you know that AI wont be put in his perfect situation?

No matter what you guys say, Allen Iverson is one of the top 15 players of all time

I'm as big a fan of AI as anybody, and if you check my posts you can see how hard I've tried to shut the haters up......but this post is really not gonna go over well, so if you want to handle the hate after this then it's yours. I don't have it in me anymore.

RealistRocket34
04-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Mutual agreement, I'm sure Iverson actually is hurt but could play through it. Good job on the Pistons, not letting him play though.

Vinny642
04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Im sure he coulda played again this season if he wanted too but whatever

pd7631
04-05-2009, 12:38 AM
this is the last thing I'm going to say on this topic.......

"He competed on the court, and I knew he wanted to win. He might not always try to do it the right way, but you could tell without question he was an amazing competetor"-Larry Brown on Allen Iverson

"I want to be right here where I'm at, where people love me and I love these people"-Allen Iverson(prior to 2000-2001 season)

If you want a better idea of who Allen Iverson is then I suggest you dig a little deeper than what you hear on ESPN. The man has done so much in his career that it's really unfair for him to be bashed for this one terrible season.

As Allen said, he wants to be in Philadelphia where the people love him and he loves the people. We would welcome him back with open arms, and we would love to have OUR player back.