2B Polanco (R)
LF Granderson (L)
RF Ordonez (R)
1B Cabrera (R)
DH Guillen (B)
C Laird (R)
3B Larish/Inge Platoon (L/R)
SS Everett(R)

To me, this gives us the best combination of Defense, Speed and Slugging.

While I submit that Inge would be on the bench to start most games, This IMO is the lineup balance with lefties, and Inge can always come into the game late to take over 3B duties. We'd have a little more speed at the top of the lineup whereby maybe we could "manufacture" a few more runs, and I really think that Granderson has continued to demonstrate that he has cut down on his strikeouts enough that he could thrive in the 3 hole with Magglio and Cabrera providing protection.

It is my opinion that the element of speed and defense that Anderson's ability brings is a bigger asset, as it also gets Guillen's glove and aged beyond their years knees and back, off the field...but also, I think those dimensions are more important, along with the lefty righty lineup balance, than the homerun potential of Marcus Thames being the everyday DH and having Guillen out there in Left.

Da616
04-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Do you think we could possibly trade everett, inge, and zumaya for a average to good pitcher(s), move guillen back to short and have thames DH?

JMDTM
04-02-2009, 01:57 PM
that lineup would be sweet. the way Laird has hit this spring, id be happy with that. Larish is still young and can hit so he will get better as the season goes on. That means we have really 1 weak man in our lineup in Everett

mark1125
04-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Do you think we could possibly trade everett, inge, and zumaya for a average to good pitcher(s), move guillen back to short and have thames DH?

Inge and Everett have absolutely no trade value. Zumaya is hurt and would have limited value. If we did find a trade partner for Inge or Everett, it would involve either a marginal talent or someone else's bad contract.

mark1125
04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Mine

CF Anderson (L)
2B Polanco (R)
LF Granderson (L)
RF Ordonez (R)
1B Cabrera (R)
DH Guillen (B)
C Laird (R)
3B Larish/Inge Platoon (L/R)
SS Everett(R)

To me, this gives us the best combination of Defense, Speed and Slugging.

While I submit that Inge would be on the bench to start most games, This IMO is the lineup balance with lefties, and Inge can always come into the game late to take over 3B duties. We'd have a little more speed at the top of the lineup whereby maybe we could "manufacture" a few more runs, and I really think that Granderson has continued to demonstrate that he has cut down on his strikeouts enough that he could thrive in the 3 hole with Magglio and Cabrera providing protection.

It is my opinion that the element of speed and defense that Anderson's ability brings is a bigger asset, as it also gets Guillen's glove and aged beyond their years knees and back, off the field...but also, I think those dimensions are more important, along with the lefty righty lineup balance, than the homerun potential of Marcus Thames being the everyday DH and having Guillen out there in Left.

I would prefer to see Santiago in for Everett. Also, I haven't seen enough of Anderson to know if I like him leading off. I LOVE any lineup that has a DH in front of Guillens name.

JMDTM
04-02-2009, 02:13 PM
my only question, why move Grandy to LF? cant we move Anderson out to LF, cause Grandy is a monster out there in center

dddtfan
04-02-2009, 03:50 PM
my only question, why move Grandy to LF? cant we move Anderson out to LF, cause Grandy is a monster out there in center
from what I've gathered trolling on Braves sites, I believe that Anderson has more speed and a better arm than Granderson. Plus, if we were to drop Granderson to third in the lineup, I figured with the added pressure of being the 3 guy, maybe it couldn't hurt to take some of the defensive pressure off by moving him from center.

Although Anderson's MLB exposure is somewhat limited, his average has pretty consistently been in that .270 - .290 range.

While that is a slight dropoff from Granderson, because of Anderson's speed, and thus the threat of a stolen base, even though there may be a slight dropoff in OBP, I think we'd still be able to manufacture a few more runs by merely letting Anderson run himself into scoring position, have Polly move him over to third and boom, you got a guy on third with one out. It would reduce the reliance on station to station baseball that we have been mired in for a few years.

At first glance, by both getting another lefty in the lineup, the improvement and consistent play on defense, that is just more appealing to me than the streaky nature of Thames at DH and still having Guillen trotting around in LF.

dddtfan
04-02-2009, 03:55 PM
oh, and on the days we are playing against a tough left handed pitcher, give Anderson or Granderson, (HMMM, Andy and Grandy), a day off and play Thames then.

Bondomania
04-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Thames is not an everyday player.. to the person that mentioned Thames being the everyday DH. Guillen has lost almost all necessary range to play SS on a regular basis.. plus his legs will never hold up.

If it were me.. i would say "bye bye" to Marcus Thames. He is good and all.. but he is a one tool player, and that one tool is extremely streaky. Leyland has an excellent feel for him and knows when and who to play him against. For me, i think with the Anderson trade, it all but guarantees Clevlen a spot on the roster. Both Anderson and Granderson are lefties.. we will need a righty outfielder that can play both LF and CF to give either guy a day off. Plus Clevlen, Anderson and Granderson would make an outstanding defensive outfield... i am talking about possible a late game defensive sub with Clevlen replacing Maggs. That outfield would be sick defensively.. Clevlen's arm would prevent a lot of people from going 2nd to 3rd on balls hit to RF.

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Granderson
4. Miggy
5. Maggs
6. Guillen/Larish
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Everett

The bench is this:

Larish
Treanor
Clevlen
Santiago

Two guys that can sub in around the infield in Larish and Santiago. A guy that can play all 3 outfield positions. And our backup catcher.

Although, i don't think Everett will hold up all year long and i think Santiago could eventually be our everyday SS, with a guy like Worth coming up to be our utility guy, Iorg needs a full year to continue to get his offensive game back.

JMDTM
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
can Clevlen play ball??? if so i wouldnt mind placing him in the starting RF spot, and Anderson in CF, along with Grandy in LF. Then put Maggs at DH and trade Raburn, and Guillen for a pretty good pitching prospect... Also i feel Everett will get injured sometime during the season, and i do feel that Santiago can be a long term SS for us. Say all this went down right now, my lineup would be..

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Grandy
4. Maggs
5. Miggy
6. Santiago
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Clevlen

Bench:
Inge/Larish
Treanor
Everett
Thames

mark1125
04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
can Clevlen play ball??? if so i wouldnt mind placing him in the starting RF spot, and Anderson in CF, along with Grandy in LF. Then put Maggs at DH and trade Raburn, and Guillen for a pretty good pitching prospect... Also i feel Everett will get injured sometime during the season, and i do feel that Santiago can be a long term SS for us. Say all this went down right now, my lineup would be..

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Grandy
4. Maggs
5. Miggy
6. Santiago
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Clevlen

Bench:
Inge/Larish
Treanor
Everett
Thames

You wouldn't get much of a prospect IMO. Guillen is effective and all, but has a very fat contract and really isn't a position player anymore. That and injuries negate his value to a degree.

JMDTM
04-02-2009, 05:56 PM
ive heard of raburn alone for a good prospect, so contract or not, im sure some team would bite on this

mark1125
04-02-2009, 09:39 PM
ive heard of raburn alone for a good prospect, so contract or not, im sure some team would bite on this

Believe me.....if we got a GOOD prospect or player for them, I would happily admit I was wrong.

Bondomania
04-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Clevlen can play ball.. he would probably be a .250'ish hitter, but would probably drive in 60-80 runs a season. He has good speed, and can play plus plus defense

Lionsforlife
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Grandy
4. Maggs
5. Miggy
6. Santiago
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Clevlen

Bench:
Inge/Larish
Treanor
Everett
Thames

I am not a Clevlen fan at all. Plus, he's out of options and he's not making the opening day roster anyway, and we are running out of time to make a trade like you suggest.

I also think trading Guillen severel hurts our offense. I know we are trying to rely more on defense, but any lineup with Santiago in the sixth spot scares me and not in a good way. It scares me that our 6-9 hitters will probably not produce one single hitter above .260 and 10 homers. Yikes.

I like what we have right now. My only switch would be possibly Santiago for Everett, but I'm hoping we get a platoon and Santiago thrives.

1) CF/LF Anderson
2) 2b Polanco
3) LF/CF Granderson
4) 1b Miggy
5) RF Mags
6) DH Guillen / Thames / Larish
7) C Laird
8) 3b Inge
9) SS Everett / Santiago

If Anderson can't produce as leadoff, I'm good with keeping Grandy there and have Guillen at 3 and Maggs at 5, Laird at 6, and then Anderson, Inge, and SS.

Yes, We Deliver
04-03-2009, 09:41 AM
I'd rather see Anderson come off the bench as a pinch runner/defensive upgrade. Then you can directly drop him into the middle of a key situation.

I'm fine with Everett getting the starts at the beginning of the season, but once he (and this is probably exactly what will happen) starts hitting terribly, give Santiago the ball to run with.

smarkow
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I was under the impression that Cabrera and Magg were going to be batting third and fourth. I'm not sure how that will affect everything else, but cabrera batting 5th last year didnt do it for me. I want him to get as many AB's as possible. I like the thought of him being up in the first inning of every game. That puts granderson and Guillen in the 5 or 6 spot.

smarkow
04-05-2009, 07:32 PM
just read that Anderson will start the first game in LF, batting 9th. I like this much better than putting him at leadoff.
Here is what i think the lineup should be:
Granderson, CF
Polanco, 2B
Cabrera, 1B
Ordonez, RF
Guillen, DH
Laird, C
Everett, SS
Inge, 3B
Anderson, LF

scottie
04-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Thames is not an everyday player.. to the person that mentioned Thames being the everyday DH. Guillen has lost almost all necessary range to play SS on a regular basis.. plus his legs will never hold up.

If it were me.. i would say "bye bye" to Marcus Thames. He is good and all.. but he is a one tool player, and that one tool is extremely streaky. Leyland has an excellent feel for him and knows when and who to play him against. For me, i think with the Anderson trade, it all but guarantees Clevlen a spot on the roster. Both Anderson and Granderson are lefties.. we will need a righty outfielder that can play both LF and CF to give either guy a day off. Plus Clevlen, Anderson and Granderson would make an outstanding defensive outfield... i am talking about possible a late game defensive sub with Clevlen replacing Maggs. That outfield would be sick defensively.. Clevlen's arm would prevent a lot of people from going 2nd to 3rd on balls hit to RF.

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Granderson
4. Miggy
5. Maggs
6. Guillen/Larish
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Everett

The bench is this:

Larish
Treanor
Clevlen
Santiago

Two guys that can sub in around the infield in Larish and Santiago. A guy that can play all 3 outfield positions. And our backup catcher.

Although, i don't think Everett will hold up all year long and i think Santiago could eventually be our everyday SS, with a guy like Worth coming up to be our utility guy, Iorg needs a full year to continue to get his offensive game back.

WTF!!! Thames is an everyday player, just not in the outfield, HENCE the DH!

scottie
04-05-2009, 08:17 PM

If it were me.. i would say "bye bye" to Marcus Thames. He is good and all.. but he is a one tool player, and that one tool is extremely streaky. Leyland has an excellent feel for him and knows when and who to play him against. For me, i think with the Anderson trade, " Both Anderson and Granderson are lefties.. we will need a righty outfielder that can play both LF and CF to give either guy a day off. Plus Clevlen, Anderson and Granderson would make an outstanding defensive outfield... i am talking about possible a late game defensive sub with Clevlen replacing Maggs. That outfield would be sick defensively.. Clevlen's arm would prevent a lot of people from going 2nd to 3rd on balls hit to RF.

1. Anderson
2. Polanco
3. Granderson
4. Miggy
5. Maggs
6. Guillen/Larish
7. Laird
8. Inge/Larish
9. Everett

The bench is this:

Larish
Treanor
Clevlen
Santiago

Clevelen was waived, cleared waivers and outrighted to tripple A...Way to as you put it "For me, i think with the Anderson trade, it all but guarantees Clevlen a spot on the roster." I know you didn't edit that out

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Thames is not an everyday player.. watch him get his AB's.. but he certainly did not deserve a roster spot after his spring performance. He hit sub .200 and cannot drive in runs at all. Oh yeah, Thames is really an everyday player. Hence why he is sitting on the bench to start the season and Guillen is the DH. Thames should not have even been offered a contract this offseason. He is slow, can't play the field, doesn't hit with RISP, and doesn't hit for average.. he is a 1 tool player and he is very streaky with that 1 tool.

Clevlen has had 2 good spring trainings in a row.. has great power, drives in more runs than Thames, can steal bases, can play plus plus defense at both corner outfield positions, as well as centerfield. The move to designate Clevlen for the assignment is flat out ******** because now we have no right handed option for the outfield that can play center.. so that is awesome.. do they plan on running granderson out there 162 games this season? if so then be prepared to see his strikeout rate climb again, because he still struggles against lefties at time.. oh, and checkout Anderson's BA against lefties.. it is absolutly hideous!!! he hits righties well.. but hits sub .200 against lefties.

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 12:07 AM
oh yeah.. and leyland really protects the **** out of Thames. Leyland knows exactly when to play him to maximize his abilities. I am pretty sure if Thames were an everyday player, several teams would have been looking to pick him up when we put him on the market late in spring training. Most scouts in baseball realize what he is.. hence why he has no trade value whatsoever

scottie
04-06-2009, 08:21 AM
oh yeah.. and leyland really protects the **** out of Thames. Leyland knows exactly when to play him to maximize his abilities. I am pretty sure if Thames were an everyday player, several teams would have been looking to pick him up when we put him on the market late in spring training. Most scouts in baseball realize what he is.. hence why he has no trade value whatsoever

Could help but notice, you didn't say **** about your silly Clevlen statement about a sure roster spot. Thats what my post was about. And for the record he didn't even get claimed off of waivers. If he's so good how come NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO team made a claim. STFU Bondo

dddtfan
04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
I think this is Marcus's last season wearing the Old English "D".

While I admit I was the originator of this thread and was the first to post Anderson as a leadoff hitter, I understand why he will start out hitting ninth. Anderson will likely get 3 starts in the opening series of the season in Toronto. Guillen will DH twice and Magglio once, which likely means Anderson gets those starts, unless Larish takes away a start in RF.

Like many here innately believe that Perry will eventually be the closer, and probably pretty soon. I am sort of holding some hope that Anderson can prove himself an ideal speedster, defensive, gamer type that could show him to be right for the leadoff role.

If that happens, Marcus becomes very expendable, because then DH will continue to be a Guillen/Maggs rotation. Now that Hessman and Clevlen have cleared waivers, there is no hurry to do anything with either of them, but depending on which way things go, I think either because of trade later in this year, or when Marcus becomes FA after the season, one of those 2 will replace him on the roster at one of those 2 times, given the current talent pool selection that we have to choose from, maybe Raburn gets that slot.

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I wasn't saying that Clevlen should be a starter.. you are saying that Thames is an everyday player.. thats my argument. Clevlen is a better bench option than Thames. You are ******** in your argument. So what he didn't get picked up off waivers.. Thames has just as little value to any team out there, and i still think a lot of low budget teams were ******** for not taking a flyer on Clevlen. Oh yeah, and nobody wanted Thames when we put him out there.. so you can blow it out your *** that Thames is an everyday player.. **** you act like you don't make poor predictions. That's all my statement was, and then you come on here trying to start **** with me because i went with the logical choice.. My prediction didn't come true, so ****ing what.. it isn't the first time i was wrong about something, and it won't be the last.. Oh yeah, by the way, Todd Jones was really a great closer wasn't he??? i believe shortly after you made those comments about him last year, his *** was cut.. so you can STFU.. you have made some pretty asinine comments yourself

JMDTM
04-06-2009, 10:51 AM
if anyone else posted this^^^, id tell them to calm down, but its Scottie we are talking to so have at it. he never makes sense

Nikolishin
04-06-2009, 12:12 PM
yall are crazy not having Granderson leading off and moved to leftfield the guy is a freak in center

1. Granderson CF
2. Polanco 2B
3. Maggz RF
4. Miggz 1B
5. Guillen DH/LF
6. Laird C
7. Thames LF/DH
8. Inge 3B
9. Everett SS

scottie
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I wasn't saying that Clevlen should be a starter.. you are saying that Thames is an everyday player.. thats my argument. Clevlen is a better bench option than Thames. You are ******** in your argument. So what he didn't get picked up off waivers.. Thames has just as little value to any team out there, and i still think a lot of low budget teams were ******** for not taking a flyer on Clevlen. Oh yeah, and nobody wanted Thames when we put him out there.. so you can blow it out your *** that Thames is an everyday player.. **** you act like you don't make poor predictions. That's all my statement was, and then you come on here trying to start **** with me because i went with the logical choice.. My prediction didn't come true, so ****ing what.. it isn't the first time i was wrong about something, and it won't be the last.. Oh yeah, by the way, Todd Jones was really a great closer wasn't he??? i believe shortly after you made those comments about him last year, his *** was cut.. so you can STFU.. you have made some pretty asinine comments yourself

Go read the Todd Jones posts and you will quickly see I was 100% correct! Back to the Thames argument.....Thames is an everyday player, just not on this team. Thames has a sweet stroke and is servicable at outfield and DH. DH is an everday position. Your argument would be much stronger in the NL, where there is no DH, but here in the AL he is an everyday player. Facts are this kid, Thames made the team, not your guy who was waived and not claimed and is now in Triple A. You should really stop now there is nothing for you to keep arguing about.

dddtfan
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree that Thames was the best option for our team, but if we could net a decent pitcher for him, starter or reliever, I'd be just as happy.

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Yeah, i am sure he is an everyday DH.. that's why he is starting the season on the bench.. If he is played everyday at the DH he will hit .230.. so i guess if you want your DH to hit .230 and stikeout 200+ times then he is your guy. He is a butcher in the field.. he has no range in LF or RF and can't play CF. Oh well, i won't have to worry, because he will hit .180 to start the season and he will find a seat on the bench for the majority of the season as Larish/Guillen/Maggs get his AB's because he can't hit in the clutch.. The reason i am pissed is because you come on here calling me out for MY PREFERRED LINEUP!!! and telling me to STFU.. when in fact you have no common sense about sports at all..

and no you weren't right about Todd Jones!!! he was given the Dontrelle treatment.. where they found some injury for him to hit the DL and try and get his game back together and he never was the same because he got hit harder than an ugly redheaded step child.. yep he was really one of the best closers in the game.. fricken worst statement ever on your behalf.. the guy was terrified to strike people out.. and everytime anyone made solid contact with the ball you had to hold your breath that it didn't leave the park..

scottie
04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Yeah, i am sure he is an everyday DH.. that's why he is starting the season on the bench.. If he is played everyday at the DH he will hit .230.. so i guess if you want your DH to hit .230 and stikeout 200+ times then he is your guy. He is a butcher in the field.. he has no range in LF or RF and can't play CF. Oh well, i won't have to worry, because he will hit .180 to start the season and he will find a seat on the bench for the majority of the season as Larish/Guillen/Maggs get his AB's because he can't hit in the clutch.. The reason i am pissed is because you come on here calling me out for MY PREFERRED LINEUP!!! and telling me to STFU.. when in fact you have no common sense about sports at all..

and no you weren't right about Todd Jones!!! he was given the Dontrelle treatment.. where they found some injury for him to hit the DL and try and get his game back together and he never was the same because he got hit harder than an ugly redheaded step child.. yep he was really one of the best closers in the game.. fricken worst statement ever on your behalf.. the guy was terrified to strike people out.. and everytime anyone made solid contact with the ball you had to hold your breath that it didn't leave the park..

Not only can you not read, but you have no idea what you are talking about. Todd Jones was the best option the tigers had to close period. His record speaks for itself. Zumaya, Dolsi, Rodney, and all the rest of them got rocked. Yes Jones made you hold your breathe little guy, but he was the best option we had. Stop deflecting the point, your guy Cleveln got flat out placed on waivers and NOOOOOOO team would touch him, so he was sent to tripple A. Eat your crow shut TFU, and move on. Stop trying to bring up old (6 plus months old) posts and grow up. The point was your stupid Clevlen post. Move on!

Bondomania
04-06-2009, 09:21 PM
i don't know why you are calling me out on clevlen and being a ***** about this.. i simply said that clevlen should have a roster spot and you are telling me to shut the **** up.. The reason i brought up the Todd Jones post is to proove how stupid some of your comments are.. just like your recent Lions post of how glad you are we resigned Foster who is a 1st round bust and has been garbage for the last 3 years.. but thank god we resigned him.. the fact is you come on here knowing very little and then you try and call people out on stuff and act like you know all.. when in fact your comments are very idiotic and you just want to start **** with people based on their thoughts.. and then you tell people to STFU.. oh yeah, how can't i read?? you are going off a players past performances and you forget that Todd Jones has lost his job as a closer several times in his past, even though he had X amount of saves.. the fact of the matter is that Jones got ****ing crushed last year and he could no longer get major league hitters out.. ****ing get off his sack.. he isn't that good of a closer.

i really could care less that nobody wanted clevlen.. i just thought that he deserved that spot and it made the most sense.. i also hate Thames and don't think he fits in to the overall long-term picture for the Tigers. He was made available and nobody wanted him. He doesn't make contact enough.. and doesn't drive in runs outside of when he hits a homerun.. and then you freakout on me claiming that he is an everyday player and because i said that clevlen outplayed him this spring and earned a spot based on the fact that he can play all 3 outfield positions..

Spartan2587
04-07-2009, 09:27 AM
i don't know why you are calling me out on clevlen and being a ***** about this.. i simply said that clevlen should have a roster spot and you are telling me to shut the **** up.. The reason i brought up the Todd Jones post is to proove how stupid some of your comments are.. just like your recent Lions post of how glad you are we resigned Foster who is a 1st round bust and has been garbage for the last 3 years.. but thank god we resigned him.. the fact is you come on here knowing very little and then you try and call people out on stuff and act like you know all.. when in fact your comments are very idiotic and you just want to start **** with people based on their thoughts.. and then you tell people to STFU.. oh yeah, how can't i read?? you are going off a players past performances and you forget that Todd Jones has lost his job as a closer several times in his past, even though he had X amount of saves.. the fact of the matter is that Jones got ****ing crushed last year and he could no longer get major league hitters out.. ****ing get off his sack.. he isn't that good of a closer.

i really could care less that nobody wanted clevlen.. i just thought that he deserved that spot and it made the most sense.. i also hate Thames and don't think he fits in to the overall long-term picture for the Tigers. He was made available and nobody wanted him. He doesn't make contact enough.. and doesn't drive in runs outside of when he hits a homerun.. and then you freakout on me claiming that he is an everyday player and because i said that clevlen outplayed him this spring and earned a spot based on the fact that he can play all 3 outfield positions..

Word.

Also, I'm going to get killed for this... but I think Jim Leyland is just overmatched as a manager now. All the decisions he made when we went to the World Series were perfect, now those decisions are just failing miserably. Our supposedly "stud" pitcher Verlander can't pitch for crap anymore and the bottom half of our lineup is going to hit a combined .225.

The Tigers were in a 20 year rebuilding project, I know that, and we had some success, but I really feel it is time to start another one. We have a good core of players to keep like Perry, Porcello, and Cabrera, but the rest of the team just doesn't impress me anymore. I used to be Verlander's biggest fan and now he has Dontrelle Willis syndrome... can't get anybody out. He was terrible to end the year last year and even over the spring, the coaches were saying "oh his form looks good, it just needs some tweaking" as he was getting pummeled... and obviously after last night that continued into the season.

I've been a diehard Tigers fan my entire life, hoping one day they would finally be good, and finally they are for about 2 years, then they drop off of the face of the earth... it's just too frustrating to describe.

Do something Dombrowski... cause what we have ain't working!

Bondomania
04-07-2009, 10:59 AM
I used to be Verlander's biggest fan and now he has Dontrelle Willis syndrome... can't get anybody out. He was terrible to end the year last year and even over the spring, the coaches were saying "oh his form looks good, it just needs some tweaking" as he was getting pummeled... and obviously after last night that continued into the season.

I don't know about that.. that is a little extreme. Dontrelle's issues are more that he couldn't find the strikezone and he was taking too much off his fastball just to get it into the strikezone and then he got hit. Verlander was pumping the heat last night.. and he was all over the strikezone.. his secondary pitches failed him. I think it is to early still to judge on Verlander.. his velocity was good, the game plan was not so good. So we will see how he bounces back in his next start.

There really isn't much DD can do at this point. We are going to have to try and tread water until Bondo gets back. The rotation isn't bad, just a bad night.. there are still 161 games left to go.. so don't start panicking yet.. by the end of May we should know how good our chances are of making the playoffs.

scottie
04-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Don't act like a victim, just eat your crow and move on! You are trying to deflect everything...That might have worked for George Bush, but not you. My point was short and simple. You made a redicules statement and was called to the post about it. Then instead of saying "i know that sucked, I was wrong, or something like that....You try and spit hate on me. Grow up kid, you post was pure bull crap, it had nothing to do with Todd Jones. For the 3rd and final time....Stop defending yourself, or at least defend what the frickin point was! Grow up and take you foot out of your mouth!

scottie
04-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Word.

Also, I'm going to get killed for this... but I think Jim Leyland is just overmatched as a manager now. All the decisions he made when we went to the World Series were perfect, now those decisions are just failing miserably. Our supposedly "stud" pitcher Verlander can't pitch for crap anymore and the bottom half of our lineup is going to hit a combined .225.

The Tigers were in a 20 year rebuilding project, I know that, and we had some success, but I really feel it is time to start another one. We have a good core of players to keep like Perry, Porcello, and Cabrera, but the rest of the team just doesn't impress me anymore. I used to be Verlander's biggest fan and now he has Dontrelle Willis syndrome... can't get anybody out. He was terrible to end the year last year and even over the spring, the coaches were saying "oh his form looks good, it just needs some tweaking" as he was getting pummeled... and obviously after last night that continued into the season.

I've been a diehard Tigers fan my entire life, hoping one day they would finally be good, and finally they are for about 2 years, then they drop off of the face of the earth... it's just too frustrating to describe.

Do something Dombrowski... cause what we have ain't working!

Its the first game of the season... Lee and Sabathia got blown up too! Too little information to make these assumptions (yet)

Spartan2587
04-07-2009, 03:28 PM
I'm also basing it off of how terrible last year was, and how un-promising spring was.

scottie
04-08-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm also basing it off of how terrible last year was, and how un-promising spring was.

We were missing a few good players this spring for the world games, too little information. Lets be positive and hope for the best. They surprised us in 06, it could happen again!