PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird dislikes today's reliance on the 3pt shot

JordansBulls
04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/03/06/weekly.countdown/index.html)

5. Guess who doesn't love the three-point shot. While sitting through the three-point contest year after year at All-Star weekend, it's natural to refer back to Bird. In that regard he was the NBA's Babe Ruth, the player who made the home run popular while winning the three-point shootout in its inaugural three years (1986-88).

"Yeah, it's all they talk about,'' he said of his ability from the three-point line. "Everybody looks at me as a three-point shooter, but I didn't shoot a lot of them.''

Bird attempted a scant 1.9 threes per game in 13 seasons. In 1990-91, the year before he retired, his long-range attempts peaked at 3.3. But that's still a low rate by today's standards: There are 72 players attempting more than 3.3 threes this season alone.

"I felt like the game is won down in the paint,'' Bird said. "I didn't shoot them until the end of the game. If I shot one early, it was probably on the road.'' When he wanted to make a dramatic impact in an opponent's gym, he means to say.

Bird is aware that his views may be seen as contrary to those of his coach, Jim O'Brien, whose Pacers spread the floor to attempt 19.8 threes per game, ranking fifth in the league.

"I believe in the three-point shot at the right time,'' said Bird, who is president of the Pacers. "I got a coach who loves it, and I back him on it with the type of team we have. We have to play different. We don't have a big man who can score down low. But I see this game as if you want to win and win big, the game is won down in the paint until somebody proves me different.''

Bird believes the three-point shot is overrated.

"People [remember] me at the three-point contest, but I didn't practice going into that contest,'' Bird said. "If I was going to waste my time shooting, it was going to be inside that line because that was where I shot from during the game.''

IBleedPurple
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Whaaaa. Larry is a legend, but is out of touch with the game today. He is right about games being won in the paint, but adding weapons such as 3-pt shooters is not against the rules, nor should it be

what54!?
04-01-2009, 05:10 PM
tell that to the magic

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
People remember Larry for being clutch from long range...but his low post game was better than most power forwards today.

unwantedplayer
04-01-2009, 06:23 PM
He is right. But if you want to erase a 20 point deficit in the 2nd quarter, the three ball is very necessary. Making a three can change the momentum of the game. Sometimes, the two point shot doesn't have that effect.

jrodmesche
04-01-2009, 06:39 PM
the three is very important

superkegger
04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I understand what Larry is saying, and I agree about pounding the paint. The closer you get to the rim, the higher percentage the shot has of going in. But the game has evolved, and I think that one of the things that compliments scoring in the paint, is good 3 point shooting. When/if you have a low post guy or two that can pound the paint, and get you buckets there, he's made even more dangerous when he has the ability to pass out to 3 point shooters who can knock it down.

I think Bird is just annoyed at part of what he's being remember for was his 3 point shot, and as he gets older he gets a little more grumpy about it.

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I understand it...Larry attempted three when the defense gave him the three.

To see JR Smith attempt and clank threes a few times in a row is frustrating especially seeing how quik and athletic he can be going to the rim.

These days alot of players think they can shoot contested shots as easy as Kobe Bryant...instead they should look for the best shot available.

I'm glad Tony Parker recognized that the three isn't his shot and he settled for mid range most of the time...that shows he is more interested in being more efficient and helping his teams shootingpercentage.

Even a shooter of Ray Allens caliber wouldn't attempt off balance shots under duress...so I don't understand why streaky undersized shooting guards like Ben Gordan and Allen Iverson have to. It's dumbfounding.

JJ81
04-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I kinda agree with him

BlackMamba
04-01-2009, 07:13 PM
It's more about the player's mindset. Some players just tend to develop and take more 3s because they feel if they are a certain amount of feet away from they basket, they should just settle for the 3. That could be a bad thing or a good thing. Treys help stretch the floor for your slashers but it could also be taken as a bad shot as I've seen many players pull up for a 3 in transition. It's not necessarily a high percentage shot unless you have the "shooting skill" of Jason Kapono and you're left wide open.

Super.
04-01-2009, 07:18 PM
He makes sense, but todays game is different. many teams live or die on the three. i wish there were more low post guys like howard, or perkins. you rarely see a good down low guy (unless your the magic >_<)

JordansBulls
04-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Guys nowadays just rely on the 3 too much.

Lakersfan2483
04-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Larry Bird is absolutely correct in what he had to say about the reliance on the 3 point shot in today's game. As he said, the game has "always" been won in the paint. The teams that win titles are able to win the battle in the paint.

Lakersfan2483
04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Guys nowadays just rely on the 3 too much.

I agree, way too many players rely heavily on the 3 point shot. I believe guys should pick their spots better when shooting 3's. A 3 point basket can break open a game when shot at the right time, but it also can be "fool's gold" when a team and or a player relies too much on it.

Lakersfan2483
04-01-2009, 07:48 PM
People remember Larry for being clutch from long range...but his low post game was better than most power forwards today.

Larry's post game was deadly.

KG2TB
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Totally agree with him. It's like in football, the key is to run the ball, and to stop the run. Smash mouth. MJ also didn't take a lot of threes. Why settle for a long range shot when you can attack the rim and put pressure on the defense and draw some fouls? The 3 ball is good but in today's game it's relied on way too much.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
As a Sixer fan, I absolutely do not agree with Bird's assesment.

We constantly give up leads by letting teams shoot the 3 to beat us, and we don't have a 3 point shooter to get us back into games. If you have 4 good shooters and 1 dominate inside man you can win 50+ games every year playing the way the Magic do.

JordansBulls
04-02-2009, 07:22 PM
As a Sixer fan, I absolutely do not agree with Bird's assesment.

We constantly give up leads by letting teams shoot the 3 to beat us, and we don't have a 3 point shooter to get us back into games. If you have 4 good shooters and 1 dominate inside man you can win 50+ games every year playing the way the Magic do.

But you rather have teams beat you by making tough shots not by teams beating you getting easy ones.

pd7631
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM
But you rather have teams beat you by making tough shots not by teams beating you getting easy ones.

For quality 3 point shooters a 3 might as well be a layup.

I think I like the 3 ball so much because the Sixers are never good at it, and we're killed by teams that shoot the 3.

SteveNash
04-02-2009, 07:25 PM
The three point shot provides much better spacing. I hated when they made it shorter during the 90s.

Lost Art
04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
He's exactly right. Players are settling for WAY too many jumpers nowadays.

JayW_1023
04-03-2009, 04:24 AM
He's exactly right. Players are settling for WAY too many contested jumpers nowadays.

Fixed :smoking:

Hawkize31
04-03-2009, 05:02 AM
nm, my numbers are off. Gotta do some research first.

astavria
04-03-2009, 05:53 AM
So it was the last year the Boston garden was around, & my uncle & I got tickets to see larry bird host a shoot around contest in the garden. At the contest, bird had the best high school players (1 male & 1 female) from MA with him & he was showing us how to shoot & how to play the game. At one point, larry tried 3 free throws and missed them all while the high schoolers nailed their three free throws. So, larry is laughing & grabs the ball. He goes to the three point arch, and shoots 3 3 pointers, & makes them all & of course the high schoolers couldn't match it. The point of my story is that if larry wasn't into his 3 point shot, then it wouldn't have come natural to him. He would have made the free throws & had some trouble with the 3 pointers. Instead, he did the exact opposite. Now I don't know if he was doing it for show, but I'm sure that larry's competitive nature didn't want to have high schoolers show him up. So, in my opinion, & it's just an opinion, I think that Larry Legend is concerned with how his team is too concerned with the 3 point shot & I he realizes that if his young nucleus is to take that step forward, the pacers need 2 get a pressence in the paint that can take some pressure off of Granger & be another option for T.J. Ford.

By the way, this is the guy who used to be first in the gym the last one out. This is the guy made circus shot after circus shot. One that comes to mind is the shot he made behind the backboard out of bounds & made it in. If he wasn't concerned with his 3 pointers, then how come he won the 3 point contest with ease the first three years it was around? U gotta practice to be that good & it's clear that Larry was & will be known as an incredible 3 point shooter & player.

Also, is this a hint that O'brien might be out after next year? Sounds like it 2 me.

DenButsu
04-03-2009, 08:13 AM
The Pacers are 3rd in the NBA at 3-point attempts per game. So if Bird really feels strongly about this, he's not doing a very good job of making his philosophy trickle down into the actual basketball game his organization is playing.

magichatnumber9
04-03-2009, 08:17 AM
What Larry wants to say is that the league is just getting lazy and throwing up treys because there too tired to run the court. Oh and all the Euro's who throw em up like free throws doesn't help the situation one bit. Lets face it the dunk is boring. Thank God for NBA Classics

DenButsu
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
What Larry wants to say is that the league is just getting lazy and throwing up treys because there too tired to run the court. Oh and all the Euro's who throw em up like free throws doesn't help the situation one bit. Lets face it the dunk is boring. Thank God for NBA Classics

I don't agree with that interpretation. I mean, I don't claim to know what he intended to say, but it seems to me just in general that there's a very high correlation between the fastest paced teams and the best (or at least most frequent) 3-point shooting teams.