PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Rodney the opening day closer

Lionpride87
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20090401/SPORTS02/90401084/1048/SPORTS/Leyland+calls+Fernando+Rodney+his+Opening+Day+clos er

Jim Leyland said Fernando Rodney will be the first to be closing games for the Tigers. I hope this is a different Rodney than last year.

Rodney Stuckey
04-01-2009, 02:40 PM
**** maybe he will pitch good in a contract year but i doubt it he flat out sucks

JackB
04-01-2009, 10:52 PM
Heaven help us!!

zzConflict
04-01-2009, 10:55 PM
How long 'till Perry takes over I wonder.

mark1125
04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
How long 'till Perry takes over I wonder.

Considering Leylands man crush on Rodney, I am guessing he will let Rodney walk in the winning run for at least 2-3 months.

JackB
04-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Does Perry have enough command to do the job?

RicoSteel
04-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Considering Leylands man crush on Rodney, I am guessing he will let Rodney walk in the winning run for at least 2-3 months.

This F-ing pisses me off beyond belief. Why the hell are they so loyal to this clown? Does he have incriminating photos of DD or Leyland? Give Perry the damn ball. :speechless:

RicoSteel
04-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Does Perry have enough command to do the job?

Irrelevant when considering Rodney's complete lack of command.

Lionsforlife
04-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I understand this move, but don't agree with it. Rodney is the only one that Leyland has witnessed close a game. So, he will get first crack. I don't think it will stay like this. You have two other guys (Perry and Lyon) who will be breathing down his neck.

I'm really not making an issue about it, because I don't see this as set in stone for the season or anything. All I know is whoever closes will probably be on a short leash, hopefully. The only exception would be Perry, but I don't think they should rush him into that situation.

dddtfan
04-02-2009, 11:36 AM
This is not a "forever" declaration, and my guess is, that about the first save Rodney blows, the next thing Leyland is going to do is start "sharing" some of those save situations around the bullpen...something ELSE he said he wanted to do that seems to be a whole lot overlooked at the moment.

Lionsforlife
04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
^^^Exactly. Here is an article talking about how we are going with closer by comittee. Rodney may be the first one called this time, but he won't always be.

Closer by Comittee (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090401&content_id=4104550&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)

nicksaviking
04-02-2009, 10:33 PM
How hard is Nate Robertson throwing these days? Lefty closers are rare, but I could see him as an end-game reclamation project, he seems to have the demeanor. He coldn't be much worse or less healthy than the alternatives.

Bondomania
04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Robertson was around 86 mph to 88 mph at times this spring.

Bondomania
04-02-2009, 11:42 PM
Also, in order for Robertson to be dominant.. he would need a plus secondary pitch.. the problem with Robertson is that his slider flattened out and became hittable.. if he was going to become the closer.. he would need to get his slider back and get good bite back to it...

Tragedy
04-03-2009, 01:55 AM
^^^Exactly. Here is an article talking about how we are going with closer by comittee. Rodney may be the first one called this time, but he won't always be.

Closer by Comittee (http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090401&content_id=4104550&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det)
Closer by committee...Those don't normally work out.

Well, lets just hope that Rodney can do the job. Since a lot of people here do not have faith that he will, we'll see if someone behind him can get the job done.

Yes, We Deliver
04-03-2009, 09:37 AM
I wanted to see Rodney earn his closer role and, for the most part, he did. That was the biggest reason I supported signing Lyon. He would force Rodney to work for it.

There's nothing left to say about Fernando that hasn't already been said, but I certainly hope he can hold it together for a while.

scottie
04-03-2009, 12:29 PM
**** maybe he will pitch good in a contract year but i doubt it he flat out sucks

This is were i ask you if you are 12! The guy in no way "Flat our sucks". he has one of the best change ups in the game... I'm not saying the guy is great, but flat out sucks NO WAY!

smarkow
04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
We brought in Lyon to compete for the closer role. And all he did was go 0-3 with a 5.73 era, giving up 7 runs in 11 innings. that said, Rodney didnt do much better with a 6.00 era, giving up 7 runs in 10 innings.

PLAYER W L S ERA G GS CG SHO IP H R ER
------ - - - --- - -- -- --- -- - - --
B Lyon 0 3 0 5.73 11 0 0 0 11.0 18 12 7
F Rodney 0 2 0 6.30 10 0 0 0 10.0 12 8 7

In any case, Lyon didnt do enough to take the job away from Rodney, whom many have said Leyland has a 'man crush' on. Either way, Leyland is going to go with the guy he knows best, and in this case, thats Rodney. Until Lyon starts having some good outings, i don't see how you can make him your closer.

If we went by spring training stats, we'd have Ryan Perry out there, with a 0.77 era, givig up 1 run in 11.2 innings.

you can't base things on spring training stats. Guys are trying to get ready for the season. Lyon said it best in an article i just read. He's not out there throwing his June, July August stuff. If he was, he'd never make it through the season.

lets just hope we do without going nuts at this team...

JackB
04-05-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm not a big fan of Rodney BUT I hope he makes me eat my words. They last thing I want is for him to fall on his face. I thought Lyon could help us when he was signed. I still do. Lets just hope they both do well and support them .

Lionpride87
04-05-2009, 05:05 PM
If Lyon doesn't become the closer, he'll still be a solid pitcher in the bullpen.

Lions #81
04-06-2009, 02:28 PM
hopefully he can get it done. If he cant I say get rid of him.
This should be his and Joel Zumya's last chance for a roster spot for us

JackB
04-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Well Rodney came in and closed the door with a 14 pitch 3 k performance. Great start. Thats two wins in a row. Verlander looked much better today. I'll take it.

Rodney Stuckey
04-13-2009, 04:54 AM
This is were i ask you if you are 12! The guy in no way "Flat our sucks". he has one of the best change ups in the game... I'm not saying the guy is great, but flat out sucks NO WAY!

Im assuming you thought J. Grilli was good too....... So far hes pitching good for us but i would call last year flat out sucking......

dddtfan
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
It seems that Rodney is doing pretty good in the closer's role thus far.

He quit throwing his slider and has made some adjustments which seems to have helped. Anybody ready to give our new pitching coach some love?

Bondomania
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
i don't get why people are making such a huge deal about him ditching the slider.. he literally threw it for 2 or 3 months after not throwing it for 2 years. I would say the adjustments are the biggest thing. He is throwing from a different arm slot which has allowed him to pound the strikezone.. and with his stuff he is hard to hit when he is hitting the zone..

As far as the flat out sucks part.. he can flat out suck from time to time when he isn't right mentally.. at the same time he can be flat out dominant when he is on.. the guy is just super inconsistant and that is the most maddening part. This week he is on.. let's just be happy for that.. we will see where he is at next week

Rodney Stuckey
04-15-2009, 07:29 PM
PRetty much well said Bondo