PDA

View Full Version : Hayden Penn Traded To The Florida Marlins

Eicholtz
04-01-2009, 01:18 PM
http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/2009/04/01/os-trade-hayden-penn-to-marlins/

bigity b
04-01-2009, 02:12 PM
this answers the "what to do with Penn" question - hahahaha.... good luck to him and im glad the O's are moving on.

ravensrule
04-01-2009, 02:47 PM
im glad wonder if they r interested in others like eaton and baez

ravensrule
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
http://wnst.net/wordpress/drewforrester/2009/04/01/os-trade-hayden-penn-to-marlins/

drew foster is cool i agree with his views on orioles do u listen to 1570 wnst also

bigity b
04-01-2009, 03:35 PM
dont listen because i live in VA and dont have a radio (seriously - not even in my car!).

Here is WashPost Insider's take:
"O's Trade Penn to Marlins
Earlier we asked what was next for flamed out pitcher Hayden Penn, the Orioles answered pretty quickly by trading the 24-year-old to the Florida Marlins for utility infielder Robert Andino.

Andino, who is also out of options, slots in as the team's backup shortstop as Andy MacPhail said in his press conference today that the club wasn't thrilled with its backup prospects (Ryan Freel, Jolbert Cabrera and Chris Gomez who will now be outright released).

"We're too thin in the middle infield in terms of who can play defense there,'' MacPhail said. "We really weren't comfortable with backup shortstops. We know Cesar, like any shortstop, is going to need a couple of days off. I think he played in 130 games last year. You need somebody for those other 30 games."

With this move the Orioles also have answered the question about how many pitchers they would carry to start the season as it looks like 12 instead of 13 will travel with the team up North.

Andino has two home runs, 12 RBI and a .201 average in four seasons where he has seen limited action in Florida. Selected in the second round of the 2002 draft, Andino was supposed to be the Marlins' shortstop of the future. That was until the team received Hanley Ramirez in the trade that sent Josh Beckett to Boston following the 2005 season.

Penn, who despite past issues of immaturity has handled his rough spring reasonably well, admitted that he was shocked by the move but has accepted it.

"Somebody wants me and I'm excited to go over there and pitch. I've had a good time here, made a lot of good friends over the years. I look forward to a new start. I really do. I think it'll be good for me. I'm excited somebody wants me and traded for me and hopefully I'll get that opportunity and pitch well.""

3 things of importance in there to me, and its all in the 2nd paragraph.
1) Andino is more than a bag of balls, as Foster suggests, because he is now the back-up at SS!
2) Freel and Gomez were cut! That free's up the OF logjam and utility infielder logjam. I really liked Freel and wanted him on the roster, even if it was just for hard-work influence.
3) I thought Wigginton played SS too. He couldnt cut it for 30 games? Where else are we going to play him?

bmurphy28
04-01-2009, 05:07 PM
im glad to see hayden go, but what is our starting rotation going to look like?

SnakeEyes1967
04-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Looking at our starting rotation for right now it should be

1) Uehara
2) Simon
3) Repeat #1

What the hell happened to Guthrie? He's getting smoked.

bshone
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm really concerned about the starting rotation... I thought Penn would at least add some depth to the guys who start in the minors... Guthrie is indeed getting smoked - lets hope that changes on Monday.

terp12354
04-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Whoa whoa, this clears up nothing of the outfield/dh clog. all it means is Gomez will be outright released as he currently was the backup ss on the roster (freel was the emergency guy). So freel is still on the roster and all this does is say we aren't comfortable with him as a backup ss so we are carrying another ss and only 12 pitchers. Right now the rotation is

1. Guthrie
2. Uehara
3. playing the matchups between Simon, Bass, Henderickson
4. Eaton
5. playing the matchups between Simon, Bass, Henderickson

the idea is to matchup these three guys for the first couple weeks, see if any of them excel at all, but it a few weeks Rich Hill is expected to take one of those last three spots and in a few more weeks they will re evaluate what brad bergensen (spelling?) is doing in AAA. so hopefully in 6 weeks the rotation will be

1. guthrie
2. uehara
3. Hill
4. eaton
5. bergensen

with hopefully simon or bass being so great that we can drop eaton or keep Bergensen in the minors for the year

and i wouldnt be worried about Guthrie, starts slow every year for the first month or so

EricU812
04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Guthrie could be a 20 game winner and I will still be worried about our rotation..the fact is..they just aren't proven yet.

I will say that I have faith in McPail, and Krantz and hopefully they will be a surprise.

Tragedy
04-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Looking at our starting rotation for right now it should be

1) Uehara
2) Simon
3) Repeat #1

What the hell happened to Guthrie? He's getting smoked.
Eh, it's Spring. Guthrie can overcome that.

I've always been an Andino fan, and I'm not exactly sure why.

SnakeEyes1967
04-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Just doesnt give confidence to the staff when your ace is getting pounded. Hopefully he gets it out of his system after a couple of starts.

terp12354
04-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Guthrie did this last season too and was fine. He is a slow starter and you work on things in the spring. he might have a rough first couple starts but he'll be good to go

Eicholtz
04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
drew foster is cool i agree with his views on orioles do u listen to 1570 wnst also

Oh yeah I listen when I can. Before everyone started leaving and getting fired and even now IMO Bob Haynie has the best show. I would listen more but at work they killed off some of the streaming abilities I used to have. I still listen to Rob Long on 1370 if I can.

x the game x
04-04-2009, 06:05 AM
we r cutting freel?