PDA

View Full Version : Meet Idan, the Hoops Whisperer

DenButsu
04-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Meet Idan, the Hoops Whisperer
How a Former Lawyer With No Basketball Experience Became the NBA's Hottest New Trainer
By HANNAH KARP

Idan Ravin, a soft-spoken, intensely private 38-year-old former lawyer from New York with no formal basketball playing or coaching experience has achieved an unlikely distinction. He's one of the NBA's most sought-after personal trainers.
[Idan Ravin] David M. Russell for The Wall Street Journal

Idan Ravin

Though he doesn't know who started it, Mr. Ravin's nickname in NBA circles is "The Hoops Whisperer."

Denver Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony flies Mr. Ravin to Denver several times a season to help him with his ballhandling. Star New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul turns to him in the summers to sharpen his footwork and Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas, who scored 15 points Saturday in his first game back from a knee injury, worked with Mr. Ravin throughout his rehabilitation.

When Phoenix Suns guard Jason Richardson first met Mr. Ravin in Charlotte two years ago, he says, "I was, like, 'This dude has no idea about basketball.' He was a short guy, and when he asked if he could work me out I was like 'Yeah, whatever.'" The 45-minute session later that evening turned out to be "the hardest workout I've ever had in my life," he says.

Now Mr. Richardson, who credits Mr. Ravin with dramatically improving his mid-range game, works out with him five days a week in the summers.

Mr. Ravin's goal is to create so much chaos and stress on a player during workouts that the physical game becomes less cerebral and more automatic. He uses a combination of humbling psychological tactics and exhausting, unorthodox and sometimes spontaneous drills. He's been known to fire tennis balls at players while they're dribbling or make them stare straight ahead while dribbling two balls in each hand in uneven rhythms and walking from side to side.
[Idan Ravin puts the NBA's Chris Paul through unorthodox drills.] Getty Images

Chris Paul

In one particularly exhausting drill, Mr. Ravin throws...wallstreetjournal (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123846194302172029.html)

click link to read whole article - interesting stuff imo

EX-TREME
04-01-2009, 02:49 PM
crazy drillz he is doing.

_Sn1P3r_
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
That actually sounds pretty sick. I wouldn't mind having him as my trainer.