PDA

View Full Version : The impressive recovery of Gerald Wallace

DenButsu
04-01-2009, 04:54 AM
I hope DerekRE_3 won't mind me quoting part of his post in another forum to make this thread from. (I suspect he won't). But I do think the story of Gerald Wallace and what he's gone through this season is really remarkable, and merits some appreciation whether the Bobcats make the playoffs or not.

Originally posted by DerekRE_3:

Speaking of...Gerald Wallace tonight....
21 points, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 blocks, 0 turnovers 10-16 shooting

Month of March:
19.5 PPG 9 RPG 3.5 APG 1.5 SPG 1.4 BPG 58% FG 82% FT 1.8 TO
You'd never know that he had a broken rib and collapsed lung in late January.

(my emphasis)

This story had kind of fallen off my radar screen (although it shouldn't have, since the Nuggets get the Bobcats' first if they make the playoffs). But I have to say, I love a great "came back from horrible injury" story, and this sure qualifies, so hats off to Wallace. Great to see him back on top of his game.

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 04:57 AM
Just to add to what Gerald Wallace has faced this year:

His grandmother and father died this season, about a week apart from each other.

Dec. 8 8:34 PM PT9:34 PM MT10:34 PM CT11:34 PM ET4:34 AM GMT12:34 AM 北京时间-After missing three games following the death of his grandmother, Wallace had 22 points and nine rebounds for the Bobcats in Friday's loss to Detroit.
Analysis: Wallace's father also died on Thursday, and he may miss another game next week. Wallace is averaging 15.6 points and 7.7 rebounds in 21 games.
http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nba/playerstats.asp?id=3533&team=30&page=news

And Den, you are going to have to talk to my agent about using any of my quotes. :)

Also, about the Nuggets getting the Bobcats 1st rounder in the draft:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339587

KG2TB
04-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Beyond impressive numbers. Wow. Didn't the Bobcats have Wallace on the block near the dead line too ?

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 05:23 AM
Beyond impressive numbers. Wow. Didn't the Bobcats have Wallace on the block near the dead line too ?

No, he was on the block during the offseason. Larry Brown wasn't sure if Wallace fit his system and they were worried about his injury history. Turns out Wallace has been one of the most receptive to Larry Brown's teaching, and has really improved his fundamentals this year. He doesn't gamble as much on defense, and has gotten much better at not holding onto the ball too long and has improved his free throw shooting.

KG2TB
04-01-2009, 05:45 AM
I've always been a fan of his. Would love to have him on the Bulls. Isn't he getting up there in age though ?

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 05:47 AM
I've always been a fan of his. Would love to have him on the Bulls. Isn't he getting up there in age though ?

He's 26.

black1605
04-01-2009, 11:54 AM
It's a shame no one really gets to see him play much outside of North Carolina. He is one of the most explosive talents in the NBA right now and he is constantly improving his game. I imagine we might get a few more nationally televised games next year.

Gerald does have one HUGE flaw though......he's a Pats fan.:mad:

EX-TREME
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
i love his game. i would trade everybody outside of jameer and dwight and lee to get him.

black1605
04-01-2009, 03:39 PM
you wouldnt trade Courtney Lee for Gerald Wallace?

69centers
04-01-2009, 03:40 PM
It would be great for basketball if the Bobcats made the playoffs this year. Hopefully Detroit falls out of the race and the Cats get in.

JakeDelbreezy
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Gerald has improved dramatically this year under LB....I for one am glad they didn't move him, even though in the off season at times I was for it b/c I was worried about his shooting and injuries.....but now I'm glad to eat my own words and say I'm glad they kept him.

VCaintdead17
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Gerald really does deserve a lot of respect. The man is as tough as nails.

FOBolous
04-01-2009, 03:47 PM
a year ago..i made a suggestion in the Rockets forum saying how we should trade Tmac for Wallace and everyone in the Rockets forum bashed me for it. Could've been done too imo because McGrady still had some value back than. Too bad our GM didn't think of it.

_Sn1P3r_
04-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Gerald Wallace is just a warrior. It's too bad he didn't want to come to TO, he would've been a nice fit here. Plus, he's only 26 as DerekRE pointed out.

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Gerald Wallace is just a warrior. It's too bad he didn't want to come to TO, he would've been a nice fit here. Plus, he's only 26 as DerekRE pointed out.

What do u mean he didn't want to go to Toronto? Are you talking about that TJ Ford deal over the offseason? The Bobcats management said no to that deal.

NYMetros
04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Gerald Wallace is a freak of nature. He is amazing in fantasy basketball. He does it all; rebounding, scoring, steals, blocks, high FG%. Very underrated player.

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Gerald Wallace is a freak of nature. He is amazing in fantasy basketball. He does it all; rebounding, scoring, steals, blocks, high FG%. Very underrated player.

Yeah it seems like the only people that know that are Bobcats fans, and fantasy basketball players.

Hawkeye15
04-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Gerald Wallace is tough as nails.

td0tsfinest
04-01-2009, 08:41 PM
we need to call gerald wallace, Weapon X; you know after Wolverine of the X-Men with quick recovery powers

Joshtd1
04-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Wallace sucks...

JK Derek :love:

He is a beast..he's one of those guys that the NBA needs more of. Fearless, super competitive, and tough. Always gives 100%.

DenButsu
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
a year ago..i made a suggestion in the Rockets forum saying how we should trade Tmac for Wallace and everyone in the Rockets forum bashed me for it. Could've been done too imo because McGrady still had some value back than. Too bad our GM didn't think of it.

If the Rockets had pulled that off, they'd be extra scary right now.

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Wallace sucks...

JK Derek :love:

He is a beast..he's one of those guys that the NBA needs more of. Fearless, super competitive, and tough. Always gives 100%.

Yeah I wish Tim Duncan was as good as him. :hide:

DerekRE_3
04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
we need to call gerald wallace, Weapon X; you know after Wolverine of the X-Men with quick recovery powers

I think the nickname he already has, Crash, fits him pretty well.