PDA

View Full Version : Calipari Signs With Kentucky

metsDaBest
03-31-2009, 06:41 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11573812

John Calipari has accepted an offer to be the next basketball coach at Kentucky, a source told CBSSports.com on Tuesday.

An official announcement is expected in the next 24 hours.
Advertisement

Multiple sources told CBSSports.com -- first to report Calipari's intent to initially meet with Kentucky -- that the specifics of the deal must still be settled, but that Calipari will be the highest-paid coach in the country by a substantial margin. The total package is expected to be worth $35 million to $40 million spread over seven or eight seasons.

Calipari will replace Billy Gillispie, who was fired last Friday. It's possible Calipari will take Memphis recruits DeMarcus Cousins and Xavier Henry -- as well as the nation's top unsigned player, John Wall -- with him to Lexington, which could have Kentucky competing for a national title if Jodie Meeks and/or Patrick Patterson return.

Cousins is committed to Memphis, but he's unsigned and thus bound to the school in no real way. Henry signed with Memphis in November, but a source with knowledge of the wording in his letter of intent said Henry always had a release clause that would free him from Memphis if Calipari left.

Expect Memphis to target Missouri coach Mike Anderson or Southern California coach Tim Floyd as Calipari's replacement.

An industry source said Anderson will listen. Floyd's level of interest is unclear.

Other possible candidates should be Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy, Western Kentucky coach Ken McDonald and UTEP's Tony Barbee -- the last of whom played for Calipari at Massachusetts and was a Memphis assistant. Multiple sources told CBSSports.com that Calipari is pushing for Barbee to be his successor, promising to help his protégé hold part of this team and recruiting class together. Still, it's likely Memphis officials will look toward Anderson or Floyd before exploring that option, sources said.

If Memphis really wanted to send a message -- to Calipari and the Memphis fan base that the program will roll on at an elite level -- it could package millions of dollars and approach Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl, who is familiar with the area and could enjoy the celebrity the Memphis job provides.

Calipari was at Memphis nine seasons, leading the school to six NCAA tournaments -- including one Final Four.

Sources have told CBSSports.com that Tyreke Evans will enter the NBA Draft and Wesley Witherspoon will likely transfer to Kentucky. Shawn Taggart won't return to Memphis because he has already graduated. Combine that with the fact that Robert Dozier and Antonio Anderson have exhausted their eligibility, and it's possible the next Tigers coach could inherit a roster featuring only Doneal Mack (8.7 points per game), Roburt Sallie (5.8 ppg), Willie Kemp (2.9 ppg) and Pierre Henderson-Niles (2.4 ppg), meaning Memphis could go from dominating Conference USA to missing the NCAA tournament in a matter of 12 months.

ummm yep there ya go not a big college basketball maniac as for as who is coaching for what team but I figured this tread would get a lot of replies

so there ya go

sdweston757
03-31-2009, 07:06 PM
yerp, its official

Catfish1314
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
John Calipari and Anthony Grant joining Billy Donovan and Trent Johnson in the SEC? The conference as a whole should be much, much better next season. Calipari is a massive upgrade over Billy G and I can definitely see him taking UK back to the NCAA elite.

bahama0811
03-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Good signing by Kentucky. IMO they're gonna get a whole lot better pretty quickly.

cardinals1226
03-31-2009, 07:31 PM
John Calipari and Anthony Grant joining Billy Donovan and Trent Johnson in the SEC? The conference as a whole should be much, much better next season. Calipari is a massive upgrade over Billy G and I can definitely see him taking UK back to the NCAA elite.

Not hard when John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Xavier Henry, numbers one, two, and three on Rivals follows you from Memphis to Kentucky, Welsey Witherspoon joins you, and the rumor is Patterson and Meeks are staying another year. With a team like that, I could coach Kentucky and make them an elite team again.

SidTheKid
03-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Good signing by Kentucky. IMO they're gonna get a whole lot better pretty quickly.

Agreed.

NYK|NYY
03-31-2009, 07:41 PM
KU going to be good again, all the recruits following Calipari.

agoody117
03-31-2009, 08:08 PM
I agree that this is a good signing for Kentucky, and I think its good for Calipari to get out of conf. USA.

I know he can take all of his recruits with him, but does that include the players already on his Memphis team? What happens to the sophomores, juniors who bought into the system and then just get totally screwed...? I know life isnt fair but kinda sucks..

What happens to T. Evans if he doesnt go to NBA?

IF I were a player on Memphis (big if... haha) i would feel betrayed and upset that i was sold by calipari during recruiting 2/3 years prior and then he turns back?

anyone wanna explain the process of what happens in these situations?

yboord028
03-31-2009, 08:22 PM
I agree that this is a good signing for Kentucky, and I think its good for Calipari to get out of conf. USA.

I know he can take all of his recruits with him, but does that include the players already on his Memphis team? What happens to the sophomores, juniors who bought into the system and then just get totally screwed...? I know life isnt fair but kinda sucks..

What happens to T. Evans if he doesnt go to NBA?

IF I were a player on Memphis (big if... haha) i would feel betrayed and upset that i was sold by calipari during recruiting 2/3 years prior and then he turns back?

anyone wanna explain the process of what happens in these situations?
He can only take the players if they are granted a release from their scholarship and they transfer and sit out the season. Which I doubt any of them would do.

And everybody feels betrayed when a coach recruits somebody and he leaves, happens all the time.

lakersrock
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
YAY! Travis Ford is staying at OSU for a LONGGGG time. It was rumored he told people he would leave for Kentucky if given the opportunity and he really didn't care to go anywhere else.

NYK|NYY
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
ESPN said Evans has decided to enter the draft because Calipari left, figured he was anyway.

agoody117
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
ESPN said Evans has decided to enter the draft because Calipari left, figured he was anyway.

yah i saw that about 10 mins after i posted my question on evans..

good move for calipari and kentucky, but i guarantee a ton of people in memphis aare saying ...... ****...... lol

Catfish1314
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Not hard when John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, and Xavier Henry, numbers one, two, and three on Rivals follows you from Memphis to Kentucky, Welsey Witherspoon joins you, and the rumor is Patterson and Meeks are staying another year. With a team like that, I could coach Kentucky and make them an elite team again.

F-Patrick Patterson
F-DeMarcous Cousins
F-Xavier Henry
G-Jodie Meeks
G-John Wall

That is a damn scary lineup, but I seriously doubt Patterson AND Meeks stay in school.

lakersrock
03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
F-Patrick Patterson
F-DeMarcous Cousins
F-Xavier Henry
G-Jodie Meeks
G-John Wall

That is a damn scary lineup, but I seriously doubt Patterson AND Meeks stay in school.

I would. That team in his system is almost guaranteed a serious title shot. If they did happen to win it, the Kentucky morons would idolize them forever for turning it around.

sdweston757
04-01-2009, 02:47 AM
i hate kentucky fans

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
04-01-2009, 11:20 AM
Did the recruits already say they would follow Calipari to Kentucky?

Catfish1314
04-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Did the recruits already say they would follow Calipari to Kentucky?

I'm pretty sure none of them have. There are rumors of Xavier Henry going to Kansas and John Wall is apparently torn between following Calipari to Kentucky or going to Duke after a recent visit with Coach K.

arlubas
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
F-Patrick Patterson
F-DeMarcous Cousins
F-Xavier Henry
G-Jodie Meeks
G-John Wall

There is no way in hell all three of Henry, Cousins and Wall go to the same school. Only one ball and a lot of freshmen hungry to prove they are a lottery pick for this team to actually work. It looks good on paper but it will never happen.

Catfish1314
04-02-2009, 05:00 PM
There is no way in hell all three of Henry, Cousins and Wall go to the same school. Only one ball and a lot of freshmen hungry to prove they are a lottery pick for this team to actually work. It looks good on paper but it will never happen.

That was all theoretically speaking.