PDA

View Full Version : How would the Lakers fare if Pau is the 1st option?

EHL
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
Pau Gasol is among the most professional of the Laker players when it comes to speaking to the media. He's patient, polite, and gives thoughtful answers to every last question that is asked of him after a game. Gasol is definitely not going to say anything that could be considered controversial, however, which is why his subtle comment after the team's loss in Atlanta should be taken seriously.

Gasol was the only Laker that seemed to be able to shoot on Sunday, and hit on seven of his 10 field goal attempts. The rest of the team went a dismal 21-of-70 for the game, and afterwards, Gasol didn't understand why he didn't get more touches.

“I don’t know why we were so out of whack and missing so many shots,” Gasol added. “Unfortunately, we lost a game that we definitely would have like to have won. Our outside shots weren’t going down, so we should have gone inside a little more.”

Translation: Give him the damn ball!

Alright, that's probably a stretch. This isn't Shaquille O'Neal spelling out his career field goal percentage and demanding to get his 20 touches per game or else -- but it is a valid point.

The Lakers have consistently gone away from Gasol during games where he's producing, which, especially in the second half of the season, has been just about all of them. He's made 72 of his 109 shots over the last eight games -- yep, 66 percent. So why not pound it inside a little bit more, especially on an afternoon when nobody else seems to be able to get anything going?
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/sports/...-the-Ball.html

cmoneytakemoney
03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Remember the Grizzlies when Pau Gasol was the #1 option? That's what the lakers would be.

Derick713
03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
Somehow the Lakers won titles with Kobe as the second option. Can't imagine it would get easier if he was the first option.

wwwhat
Pau definitely needs to get more touches when he's hot like that. It's the reason I like Don Nelson just a little, he always just gets the ball to the hot player and puts him in an iso. If they did it more with Pau it'd make them far more dangerous.

Lakersfan2483
Lakers forum.

durqtitan
03-31-2009, 04:14 PM
yeah, memphis made it to the 1st round as an 8th seed a few times with Gasol and thats what the lakers would be without kobe. its like taking lebron off the cavs and telling mo williams to get it done

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Pau Gasol is among the most professional of the Laker players when it comes to speaking to the media. He's patient, polite, and gives thoughtful answers to every last question that is asked of him after a game. Gasol is definitely not going to say anything that could be considered controversial, however, which is why his subtle comment after the team's loss in Atlanta should be taken seriously.

Gasol was the only Laker that seemed to be able to shoot on Sunday, and hit on seven of his 10 field goal attempts. The rest of the team went a dismal 21-of-70 for the game, and afterwards, Gasol didn't understand why he didn't get more touches.

“I don’t know why we were so out of whack and missing so many shots,” Gasol added. “Unfortunately, we lost a game that we definitely would have like to have won. Our outside shots weren’t going down, so we should have gone inside a little more.”

Translation: Give him the damn ball!

Alright, that's probably a stretch. This isn't Shaquille O'Neal spelling out his career field goal percentage and demanding to get his 20 touches per game or else -- but it is a valid point.

The Lakers have consistently gone away from Gasol during games where he's producing, which, especially in the second half of the season, has been just about all of them. He's made 72 of his 109 shots over the last eight games -- yep, 66 percent. So why not pound it inside a little bit more, especially on an afternoon when nobody else seems to be able to get anything going?
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/sports/...-the-Ball.html

Why don't we just trade Kobe? I am sure it would make you happy. How many threads are you going to create in the NBA forum regarding the Lakers? The lakers forum is for this type of thing.

EHL
03-31-2009, 04:21 PM
Why don't we just trade Kobe? I am sure it would make you happy. How many threads are you going to create in the NBA forum regarding the Lakers? The lakers forum is for this type of thing.

Not really. I never said trade Kobe or anything. Im just bringing up a valid idea.

I want more unbiased feedbacks thats why I created this thread and placed it on the General Board.

EHL
03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
Remember the Grizzlies when Pau Gasol was the #1 option? That's what the lakers would be.

Except the Lakers have Kobe Bryant, Bynum and Odom.

I dont follow your logic. Im not saying Kobe is out of the picture, im just saying that maybe the Lakers should use a Big Man with a career 55% FG as the main offensive threat.

Im willing to bet Kobe will benefit from this as well.

DrDEADalready
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
They'd suck. probably be where the kings are right now. guy is too soft, overrated. and sucks to be a #1 scoring option. keep Kobe as your choice.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
They'd suck. probably be where the kings are right now. guy is too soft, overrated. and sucks to be a #1 scoring option. keep Kobe as your choice.
Soft and overrated.....Reminds me a lot of Chris Bosh not Pau Gasol.

They wouldn't be better if Gasol was the 1st option, but they wouldn't be worse. Kobe is clearly the better option because he's arguably the best player in the world, in my opinion he is. Not to mention he's probably still the best scorer in the NBA.

DrDEADalready
03-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Gotta think about it. if gasol was a numberone scoring option. how would Kobe fit into this situtation. I don't think he'd want to be on a team if he wasn't the scorer. therefore you wouldn't have Kobe. and you just be stuck with Gasol. Hence you would be worst off.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
Gotta think about it. if gasol was a numberone scoring option. how would Kobe fit into this situtation. I don't think he'd want to be on a team if he wasn't the scorer. therefore you wouldn't have Kobe. and you just be stuck with Gasol. Hence you would be worst off.
And what If Kobe is fine with it? And this point of his career he's probably done looking for individual achievements. Are you snakes22 from ESPN? :confused:

abe_froman
03-31-2009, 04:37 PM
make playoffs,thats it.he's capable of it(did it before)and lakers have a better suporting cast than he had when he did it with the griz

DrDEADalready
03-31-2009, 04:41 PM
And what If Kobe is fine with it? And this point of his career he's probably done looking for individual achievements. Are you snakes22 from ESPN? :confused:

I don't know who that is? why? anyway... There's no way he would be fine with it. Cause when the game is close. he always goes back to selfish Kobe. throwing up shots. even if he's having a bad shooting night. he always wants to be "that guy" that wins the game. and will throw up bad shots. to try and do so if even if he's shooting a bad percentage.

lakers4sho
03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
*cough*Hellcrooner*cough*

Hellcrooner
03-31-2009, 04:51 PM
That is not the exact thing.

he does not need to be the first option

But Lakers could really benefit from allowing 3 or 4 more touches again and detracting some of them from Kobe.

And about if he was the first option.

welll .......

KObe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miller

Odom= pretty much Battier

Bynum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Stromile Swift.

Fisher> Jason williams....

So i guess if Pau could lead tha tteam to 50 victories.......

Hellcrooner
03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
*cough*Hellcrooner*cough*

? theres 300 million of americans is natural ne of them comes to think Pau needs more touches...

EHL
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Gotta think about it. if gasol was a numberone scoring option. how would Kobe fit into this situtation.

He will be fine. He helped the Lakers win 3 straight titles by being the best defender, best facilitator and a legitimate scoring/clutch player.

IMO, Kobe should just concentrrate his game on Defense (because he's really good when he wants to be), facilitating and picking the wisest spot to attack offensively.

I bet Kobe can average around 25 ppg on 50% FG along with higher numbers across the board. (Steals, Rebounds and Assists)

showtym24
03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't know who that is? why? anyway... There's no way he would be fine with it. Cause when the game is close. he always goes back to selfish Kobe. throwing up shots. even if he's having a bad shooting night. he always wants to be "that guy" that wins the game. and will throw up bad shots. to try and do so if even if he's shooting a bad percentage.

He sure was last year in the 2nd round :D. Dumb thread kobe's the number option and eveyone knows that including pau. But there is times like on sunday when kobes not playing well and is sick or injured, and pau is on fire to get him the ball more than 10 shots.

gauth25
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
He's not saying the Lakers get rid of Kobe. He's saying they should do what they used to do with Shaq. I haven't seen a defender this year 'shut' down Pau. The guy has a great mid/low post game and can make 15 footers for fun. I think he needs to start getting the ball more.

ottograham14
03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Why is this not in the Lakers forum? Come on.

EHL
03-31-2009, 05:26 PM
Why is this not in the Lakers forum? Come on.

I want to read unbiased opinions from non Laker fans as well thats why.

Wilson
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
I was quite frustrated at the Atlanta game for the same reason. They couldn't stop Pau, yet we wouldn't pass him the ball.

I always prefer to run the offense through the post, and I think the Lakers could benefit from running their offense through Pau more often. I think the most important thing is balance. It's easy to defend a team if all they want to do is shoot jump shots, as the Lakers did on Sunday against Atlanta. Kobe is a great player, and will get his points, but there's no reason that Pau should only shoot 10 shots when he's playing as well as he is. A little more balance would have done wonders against Atlanta...

still1ballin
03-31-2009, 06:28 PM
No

JordansBulls
03-31-2009, 07:22 PM

Not if Kobe is still on the team.

EHL
03-31-2009, 07:36 PM
I was quite frustrated at the Atlanta game for the same reason. They couldn't stop Pau, yet we wouldn't pass him the ball.

I always prefer to run the offense through the post, and I think the Lakers could benefit from running their offense through Pau more often. I think the most important thing is balance. It's easy to defend a team if all they want to do is shoot jump shots, as the Lakers did on Sunday against Atlanta. Kobe is a great player, and will get his points, but there's no reason that Pau should only shoot 10 shots when he's playing as well as he is. A little more balance would have done wonders against Atlanta...

Great post. Im glad Im not the only one here who sees whats wrong with the Lakers.

I love Bean, but lets face it, with the offense running through him, we have become a jump shooting team. We have a talented 7 feet tall Spaniard who can score in and out. Lets use him and confuse our opponents.

Right now, the Lakers are playing lackadaisical and predictable brand of basketball.

Kobe can make Bynum and Pau even better, I just hate the fact that he thinks sometimes perimeter shooting is the best way to help the Lakers win when there are other facets in the game that can be used to exploit and keep the defense honest.

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Kobe is the no. 1 option for a reason, Gasol is the no. 2 guy for a reason, enough said.

Wilson
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Great post. Im glad Im not the only one here who sees whats wrong with the Lakers.

I love Bean, but lets face it, with the offense running through him, we have become a jump shooting team. We have a talented 7 feet tall Spaniard who can score in and out. Lets use him and confuse our opponents.

Right now, the Lakers are playing lackadaisical and predictable brand of basketball.

Kobe can make Bynum and Pau even better, I just hate the fact that he thinks sometimes perimeter shooting is the best way to help the Lakers win when there are other facets in the game that can be used to exploit and keep the defense honest.

We can still be succesful offensively with the ball going through Kobe. The thing is, he's not creating for others like he was early in the season, and against Atlanta, it was just jump shot after jump shot after jump shot. He wouldn't go to the basket, and no-one was passing the ball to Pau Gasol.

The key is balance. We need production from Kobe and Pau, so obviously, they both need to touch the ball.

EHL
03-31-2009, 08:14 PM
Kobe is the no. 1 option for a reason, Gasol is the no. 2 guy for a reason, enough said.

What reason? So far the Lakers have produced 0 titles with Kobe as the #1 option.

Maybe...just maybe, we should flip the script and try a different approach. Just balance the offense a bit between Gasol and Kobe.

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 08:19 PM

The lakers have only lost 15 games, it's a long season, sometimes you go through tough stretches.... They have been on the road for a long time since the all-star break, they have had a hectic schedule, it's not time to push the panic button. The main thing for LA is to stay healthy and build some momentum going into this final stretch....

*A lot of people are complaining about the Lakers, but we have the no. 1 road record in the league which says a lot. Kobe is going through a tough stretch, but he will pick it up and be ready to roll in the playoffs. I don't see an issue with him being the no. 1 guy, we are 58-15 with him being our main guy. Kobe actually is the main guy that gets Pau touches down low, a lot of times the other guys forget and or have mental lapses in terms of getting him the ball.

EHL
03-31-2009, 08:27 PM
The lakers have only lost 15 games, it's a long season, sometimes you go through tough stretches.... They have been on the road for a long time since the all-star break, they have had a hectic schedule, it's not time to push the panic button. The main thing for LA is to stay healthy and build some momentum going into this final stretch....

*A lot of people are complaining about the Lakers, but we have the no. 1 road record in the league which says a lot. Kobe is going through a tough stretch, but he will pick it up and be ready to roll in the playoffs. I don't see an issue with him being the no. 1 guy, we are 58-15 with him being our main guy. Kobe actually is the main guy that gets Pau touches down low, a lot of times the other guys forget and or have mental lapses in terms of getting him the ball.

Im concerned because there's a very high chance that if the Lakers reach the Finals, it would be against the CAVS. And you know who is the Lakers best weapong against Cleveland? Its Pau Gasol.

I have a feeling that Kobe may start taking the series in his own hands (Lebron vs Kobe media hype) and when this happens, I think the Cavs will end up with the Larry O'Brien Trophy.

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 09:39 PM
Im concerned because there's a very high chance that if the Lakers reach the Finals, it would be against the CAVS. And you know who is the Lakers best weapong against Cleveland? Its Pau Gasol.

I have a feeling that Kobe may start taking the series in his own hands (Lebron vs Kobe media hype) and when this happens, I think the Cavs will end up with the Larry O'Brien Trophy.

I am not worried about that at all and it's no guarantee the Cavs are going to the finals either. Also, I am not overlooking the Celtics, I believe they will be there at the end.

G-Funk
03-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Only reason why Gasol get's so many good looks is because of Kobe.

GspLAL
04-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Not really. I never said trade Kobe or anything. Im just bringing up a valid idea.

I want more unbiased feedbacks thats why I created this thread and placed it on the General Board.

Here's an unbiased idea, how about stop being a freakin moron on this forum, How do you think Pau is able to go 1 on 1 or get a lot of his dunks/layups/easy looks? Because of Kobe.

ddaughtry
04-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Kobe is the best player in the league. He should be the No. 1 option. Gasol should be more aggressive. He plays way more minutes than Kobe, especially lately. He needs to call for the ball more, especially when Kobe is out. The Lakers offense is fine though. A couple of bad games and everybody gets all worried. It is ridiculous to say the least.