PDA

View Full Version : Stephenson Says He’ll Hold Off, again!

METS4LIFE1988
03-31-2009, 02:24 PM
There will be no college announcement from Lance Stephenson today.

Apparently the coaches at Kansas, Maryland and St. John’s — as well as their fans — will have to wait until Stephenson finalizes his plans.

“Me and my family and I have decided that we are going to wait it out and I’m going to make the best decision for me and my family,” Stephenson told the assembled media, including SNY’s Brooklyn Sal, at the McDonald’s All-American media day.

Lance Stephenson Sr. called the McDonald’s PR people Monday night and told them his son wasn’t yet ready to announce his college decision. The 6-foot-5 Stephenson was expected to announce for Kansas today.

Stephenson is the No. 1 recruit in the Class of 2009 according to Hoop Scoop and No. 9 by Rivals. This marks the second time he has delayed his announcement. He was originally supposed to do it March 21 at Madison Square Garden, but held off.

“It wasn’t a change,” he said. “It’s just been hard for me and my family to make a decision. I’m just going to wait it out.”

He added: “This is my life. I want to go somewhere that I’m comfortable and I can play at.”

It remains unclear if John Calipari’s pending move to Kentucky has anything to do with Stephenson’s decision. If Calipari were to take the Kentucky job, several of his Memphis recruits, including wing Xavier Henry, could follow suit.

But Calipari did not recruit Stephenson at Memphis, so it would seem like Kansas would still have the upper hand.

It could also be that Stephenson wants to see what Kansas guard Sherron Collins and big man Cole Aldrich are doing before committing to Kansas, but indications are that Aldrich will return. Stephenson has long said he wants to play with a talented big man.

The fact that he didn’t commit on March 21 at Madison Square Garden would seem to indicate he won’t commit to St. John’s.

Maryland coach Gary Williams turned up unexpectedly last Saturday when Lincoln lost to Rice 77-50 in the New York State Federation Class AA semifinals in Glens Falls, N.Y. Lincoln power forward James Padgett has signed with Maryland, and Williams had been recruiting Stephenson as well.

Stephenson said he had no timetable for deciding. The late signing period begins April 15.

“I don’t know right now,” he said. “Me and my father are going to talk about it. Hopefully [I’ll make] it soon.”

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/31/now-lance-wont-announce-this-week/

Pick the Johnnies. :pray:

metsfreak
03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
:pity:

Corey
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
He's coming to Kansas :)

gocubs2118
03-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Anywhere but Kansas!

METS4LIFE1988
03-31-2009, 03:14 PM
:pity:
Hater. ;)

He's coming to Kansas :)

No he's not.

Corey
03-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Hater. ;)

No he's not.

Says...You?

There's been reports from 2 or 3 different outlets saying people close to him say he plans to play at Kansas, because he wants to play with Cole Aldrich.

gocubs2118
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Says...You?

There's been reports from 2 or 3 different outlets saying people close to him say he plans to play at Kansas, because he wants to play with Cole Aldrich.

And what happens when Aldrich goes pro?

Corey
03-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Many seem to think he's going to stick around for another year. Dunno.

NYYCowboys
04-01-2009, 10:43 AM
If Xavier Henry goes to Kansas does that mean that they won't have enough room for Lance Stephenson.....and maybe he will slip into St. John's hands?

METS4LIFE1988
04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
If Xavier Henry goes to Kansas does that mean that they won't have enough room for Lance Stephenson.....and maybe he will slip into St. John's hands?

Just made that post. :)

SidTheKid
04-01-2009, 04:52 PM

Hopefully, I want to see St. John's build up their program again.

NYK|NYY
04-01-2009, 06:24 PM
Would be awesome for St. Johns to land a big time recruit, but I just don't see it happening.

Corey
04-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Actually, no. Bill Self has said in many interviews that if it comes down to it, Kansas will oversign players. Right now they have 14 players for 13 scholarship slots. If they sign Stephenson, it'll be 15 for 13. Not a big deal considering they can give the boot to a lot of people in favor of Stephenson. Same thing if Wall ends up choosing Kansas.

jetsfan89
04-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Actually, no. Bill Self has said in many interviews that if it comes down to it, Kansas will oversign players. Right now they have 14 players for 13 scholarship slots. If they sign Stephenson, it'll be 15 for 13. Not a big deal considering they can give the boot to a lot of people in favor of Stephenson. Same thing if Wall ends up choosing Kansas.

im assuming they'd want to start if they choose Kansas. if lets say wall starts and they recruit stephenson, wouldnt stephenson transfer?

Sportfan
04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
i also think he will end up in kansas