PDA

View Full Version : Dirk is so underrated and under-appreciated in the league

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
It's a joke that some people actually thought Shemare was better than him.

The fact that Dirk led a team to the finals with no all-stars in 2006 and is still noted as a choker makes him underrated. Everybody talks about how Allen Iverson led a scrub team (though they were clearly not scrubs) to the finals.

Nobody ever talks about what Dirk did in 2006. Not to mention he's a 4-0 in Game 7's and scored that 50 point game against the Spurs in his last Game 7.

Dirk is highly underrated in this league and under appreciated in this league.

It's real shame that Dirk gets this kind of love from NBA fans, even though he's still an elite player in the NBA and one of the hardest workers in basketball history.

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 11:23 PM
He is underrated, he is a good scorer and rebounder, defintely one of the best mid range game.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
He is underrated, he is a good scorer and rebounder, defintely one of the best mid range game.
Although he has been given the MVP and has been voting on the All-NBA teams many times. People truly under appreciate what this guy has done to the league. They have taken his consistency and brilliance for granted, same thing works for all international players like Yao Ming and Tim Duncan.

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
He is under-rated. Its sad that even though Tim Duncan is great, he's getting more MVP consideration than Dirk. That being said, if he was that great, they would have a better record.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
He is under-rated. Its sad that even though Tim Duncan is great, he's getting more MVP consideration than Dirk. That being said, if he was that great, they would have a better record.
I have no problem with that, since the Mavericks are just fighting for a playoff spot in the West. I just find it an absolute joke when people consider Dirk a choker. The only time he probably has ever choked was against the Warriors. But he has exceeded all of his expectations in the past like in 2006.

Chronz
03-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Remember in the preseason positional rankings, people had Bosh in front of him. Just gos to show how underrated he remains to be.

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Outside of Big men mid range game its goes Dirk, KG, West, Then TD IMO, no homer on that one.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 11:34 PM
If Dirk is Underated i dont know what Pau is......

Wonder if Boozer, David West or even Friggin L aldrige could lead White Chocolate, Shane battier and Stromile swift!!!!! to 50 victories TWICE and to the playoffs 3 times....

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Remember in the preseason positional rankings, people had Bosh in front of him. Just gos to show how underrated he remains to be.
That's even bigger joke. Dirk is better than Yao and Howard if you ask me still. Due to his playoff success in the past.

Dirk did virtually the exact same thing Allen Iverson did in 2001, yet everybody decides to talk about something that happened 8 years ago instead of something that happened 3 years ago. :rolleyes:

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:39 PM

Wonder if Boozer, David West or even Friggin L aldrige could lead White Chocolate, Shane battier and Stromile swift!!!!! to 50 victories TWICE and to the playoffs 3 times....
Gasol is vastly underrated as well, People don't realize that he could arguably be just as important as Kobe Bryant to the Lakers. Clearly Kobe is better, but Gasol might be just as valuable.

JLynn943
03-30-2009, 11:39 PM
That's even bigger joke. Dirk is better than Yao and Howard if you ask me still. Due to his playoff success in the past.

Dirk did virtually the exact same thing Allen Iverson did in 2001, yet everybody decides to talk about something that happened 8 years ago instead of something that happened 3 years ago. :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: how long ago it was shouldn't take away from either of them, so don't be a hypocrite

Dirk is certainly underrated though. I think had he and Nash stayed together they would have had a championship by now.

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 11:41 PM

Pau is a little underrated, this is probably his best year, just because he is so consistent.

Lakersfan2483
03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't call Dirk underrated, most people know how good he is. He's a top ten player in the league.

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
:rolleyes: how long ago it was shouldn't take away from either of them, so don't be a hypocrite

Dirk is certainly underrated though. I think had he and Nash stayed together they would have had a championship by now. x2 Ah the PG mistakes Mark Cuban has made over the years....

JLynn943
03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't call Dirk underrated, most people know how good he is. He's a top ten player in the league.

I agree he's a top 10 player, but I don't know if most people would put him on that list. he's too easily forgotten

KobeIs
03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
yea i agree wit what u said but u cant exactly say jason terry is a scrub or stackhouse is either.

the mavs have, or had, a really good team.

Hellcrooner
Also there is something Funny, people relate a lot to Stou, Kg, Howard who rely a LOT on their bodyes and tell they are great and underate Tim, Dirk and Pau.

Well when all of them are 35 i definetly would want on my team one of the last three and not one of the first ones ;)

Chaudhry
come on they had a pretty decent team in 2006, you had terry and josh howard, and then solid players like stackhouse, marques daniels who was much better then expected, devin harris, kieth van horn and erik dampier...

now i do agree he is still slightly under rated but that is mostly because since that finals appearance (which was extremely dissapointing in its own respect) his team has been on a steady decline... and to a lesser extent so have his numbers...

i don't think he's grossly under rated... i just think his team hasn't been noteworthy for a while and thus he hasn't been noteworthy... bosh played in the olympics and amare plays with shaq and nash...

GarlicStench
03-30-2009, 11:53 PM
The problem is he is just so soft and plays zero defense. He is great offensively but only plays at one end of the court.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:53 PM
yea i agree wit what u said but u cant exactly say jason terry is a scrub or stackhouse is either.

the mavs have, or had, a really good team.
Well it's not like Allen Iverson's team were scrubs either....

Mainly the Allen Iverson followers say his teammates were scrub just to worship his greatness. Allen Iverson had the Sixth man of the year Aaron McKie, He also had All-Star DPOY Dikemebe Mutombo.

And I don't think it's possible for a player to shoot 39% in the playoffs which also means missing 61% of their shots and yet going to the NBA Finals if they were all scrubs.

what54!?
03-30-2009, 11:59 PM
bad management and motivation from players = less media time for dirk.

The mavs aren't a top tier team anymore so the media doesn't show him like they did 2-3 years ago

Vinny642
03-31-2009, 12:02 AM
iight guys see ya tomorrow

aWiLL 20
03-31-2009, 12:25 AM
it's good to see that some ppl recognize that dirk is a top 10 talent. it's hard to see it if you don't watch mavs games regularly, because sportscenter and other media like to play up the choker persona. dirk is extremely clutch...look at game 7 stats...he's also EXTREMELY consistent. his work ethic is flawless as well...I wish he got more attention...BUT, he's exactly the kind of player who doesnt care about attention. He just loves the game. I truly hope that he gets a championship before he retires...he deserves one

Chronz
03-31-2009, 12:56 AM
Outside of Big men mid range game its goes Dirk, KG, West, Then TD IMO, no homer on that one.
Its not your fault but your overrating West's midrange game.

JayW_1023
03-31-2009, 06:45 AM
Duncans mid range game is overrated...there is a reason why he attempts bank shots instead...his form just isn't great.

Anyway, I'm a big Dirk fan...he is one of the clutches players in the league. He gets alot of hate for his playoff failures...but against the Heat and Warriors, people don't realize he was forced to do everything. He didn't have Steve Nash to stop and pop with...so he had alot of pressure on him.

I love how he can hit those fade-aways and makes it look so easy. His shot release is strange too...very slow...almost a catapult motion.

Dirk should be a lock for HOF in my opinion.

DirkIsTheBest
03-31-2009, 07:04 AM
Dirk is a Top 3 player . he is the best PF in the league . he is the best shooter in the league . he deserve MVP this season . he is the real MVP of this season . he is the best player in the history of NBA !
Dirk:love::love: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KG + Duncan:puke: + Bosh + Amare

TheDiggler
03-31-2009, 07:59 AM
it's good to see that some ppl recognize that dirk is a top 10 talent. it's hard to see it if you don't watch mavs games regularly, because sportscenter and other media like to play up the choker persona. dirk is extremely clutch...look at game 7 stats...he's also EXTREMELY consistent. his work ethic is flawless as well...I wish he got more attention...BUT, he's exactly the kind of player who doesnt care about attention. He just loves the game. I truly hope that he gets a championship before he retires...he deserves one

:clap:

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 08:02 AM
Dirk is a Top 3 player . he is the best PF in the league . he is the best shooter in the league . he deserve MVP this season . he is the real MVP of this season . he is the best player in the history of NBA !
Dirk:love::love: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> KG + Duncan:puke: + Bosh + Amare
Too far :smoking:

Soto>Norris
03-31-2009, 08:17 AM

haha west over td. no homer. ok, cool....keep it up...

NYstateofMinD
03-31-2009, 08:23 AM
Dirk top 10?

Kobe
Lebron
Dwade
Duncan
D Howard
Cp3
DWills
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Yao

Is he really better than any of them? He is a top 10 scorer, but he doesn't play defense. And his 06 team were scrubs? Josh Howard was an allstar, jason terry, stackhouse, devin harris? Yea all scrubs.

The truth is Dirk is a good player, but he had his chance in 06 I doubt the Mavs win a championship with him as the best player.

DirkIsTheBest
03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Dirk top 10?

Kobe
Lebron
Dwade
Duncan
D Howard
Cp3
DWills
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Yao

Is he really better than any of them? He is a top 10 scorer, but he doesn't play defense. And his 06 team were scrubs? Josh Howard was an allstar, jason terry, stackhouse, devin harris? Yea all scrubs.

The truth is Dirk is a good player, but he had his chance in 06 I doubt the Mavs win a championship with him as the best player.

Dirk is better than all of them . Dirk is the best player ever :clap::clap::clap: ! he will win the championship next season with MAVS !!

TMAC94
03-31-2009, 09:10 AM
i tihnk dirks might be overrated, he sure as hell isnt underrated, the guy takes 20 shots no matter what, hasnt been making em lately, he is a ball HOG, i mean his only scorer on the team apart from terry, but still his a massive hog, theres not doubt the guy can play, but seriously he far from underrated, he is soft for a power foward

ewing
03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Dirk top 10?

Kobe
Lebron
Dwade
Duncan
D Howard
Cp3
DWills
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Yao

I think so. If I was starting a team for the present I'd definately build around Dirk before Roy and JJ. I'd also take Dirk over Yao because of the durablility factor

tjlipford
03-31-2009, 09:37 AM
How is he underrated? They lost to the Heat in the finals after being up 2-0. Then the next year they were a #1 seed and then lost to the 8th seed Warroirs (it seems as if mentally they have not recovered from that heart breaking loss, they were embarassed in that series). Now they are 8th seed in the West. Yea, he is good (love to have him here in Cleveland) but not underrated. That basically sums up the last three years of the Dallas Mavericks and Mark Cuban's dumb *****.

Young2Kinsler
03-31-2009, 09:44 AM
It's a shame Cuban didn't do the right thing after the Golden State series and start the total rebuild. Now it's looking like its too late, but this offseason will tell all. I truly believe Dirk has at least 3 to 4 more years of elite play, and if Dallas can do what it has needed to for the past few years and shake things up, then I still think we can win with Dirk here. He truly is a great player and people who say he plays zero defense clearly don't watch the game. While Dirk will never make the all NBA defensive teams, he has perfected the Karl Malone slap down in the lane, and has improved overall in his game year after year. He has created a whole new style of play, and it's simply amazing to watch the shots he takes, and makes. Brandon Roy accused Dirk this season of just throwing stuff up there, and getting lucky, but it is just all skill. Dirk takes fall away jumpers off his off foot, and nails them, it's just silly. I feel that if this offseason doesn't give the Mavs a whole new look, Dallas fans and Cuban would be foolish to think Dirk would want to stick around after next year, despite his publicly stating over and over that he wants to finish his career in Dallas.

frizbo72
03-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh I thought this was about him being the DIRTIEST player so I came to agree but I can't with him being the best. He is a good shooter and nothing else. Unless you are talking about his body slams and right hooks. Maybe he should take the rest of his flopping European friends and start their own WWF/NBA league. What a loser!

Young2Kinsler
03-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh I thought this was about him being the DIRTIEST player so I came to agree but I can't with him being the best. He is a good shooter and nothing else. Unless you are talking about his body slams and right hooks. Maybe he should take the rest of his flopping European friends and start their own WWF/NBA league. What a loser!

Can we change this guys screen name to Captain Idiot?

rabzouz 96
03-31-2009, 11:26 AM
one of the most overrated players inthe leauge.

FOBolous
03-31-2009, 11:35 AM
both Pau and Dirk are underrated.

Pau is a proven franchise player who sacrificed his game when he went to LA....in fact, he averaged 21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks back in '06 when he still was playing for Memphis. That's some damn good numbers. Good enough to be considered a top 5 PF/C in the league in my opinion.

As for Dirk..he went from overrated when he won MVP to underrated right now. I think it's a travesty for people to think Bosh, West, and Aldridge is better than him cause they're not...not even close.

Verbal Christ
03-31-2009, 01:27 PM
dirk isnt underrated, he's the best shooting guard in the league, AND he's 7 foot.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:13 PM
both Pau and Dirk are underrated.

Pau is a proven franchise player who sacrificed his game when he went to LA....in fact, he averaged 21 pts, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks back in '06 when he still was playing for Memphis. That's some damn good numbers. Good enough to be considered a top 5 PF/C in the league in my opinion.

As for Dirk..he went from overrated when he won MVP to underrated right now. I think it's a travesty for people to think Bosh, West, and Aldridge is better than him cause they're not...not even close.
Well put, About all international big men except Tim Duncan are underrated.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:16 PM
Dirk top 10?

Kobe
Lebron
Dwade
Duncan
D Howard
Cp3
DWills
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Yao

Josh Howard was not an all-star in 2006, he was an all-star replacement in 2007.

This is the type of pathetic hate I hear all the time. Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Deron Williams, Yao, and Howard are not better than Dirk. Yao and Howard is the only one that isn't an insult to Dirk.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Dirk is NOT a top 10 player in the league. He is a great scorer but thats about it. He shows signs of being a great rebounder but is very inconsistant. And his D sucks

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:29 PM
Dirk is NOT a top 10 player in the league. He is a great scorer but thats about it. He shows signs of being a great rebounder but is very inconsistant. And his D sucks
I guess you also forgot about his leadership skills? :rolleyes:

Although he is probably only sub-par on both ends, He still tries very hard to rebound and play defense. His scoring is incredible, and when he is on fire nobody in the league can stop him.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 04:39 PM
There ya go you just said it yourself, he is a top 10 SCORER but in no way a top 10 player in the league.

Although he is probably only sub-par on both ends, He still tries very hard to rebound and play defense. His scoring is incredible, and when he is on fire nobody in the league can stop him.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Give me Top 10 players who are better.... and go compare those 10 players to his post-season success

ragee
03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
I have no problem with that, since the Mavericks are just fighting for a playoff spot in the West. I just find it an absolute joke when people consider Dirk a choker. The only time he probably has ever choked was against the Warriors. But he has exceeded all of his expectations in the past like in 2006.

He did not really choked on the Warriors Series... He was triple teamed and his opponents coach was the one that made him better... Nelson knows everything about him... I think the only time he choked was the NBA finals... People tend to forget though that before his team was able to reach the finals, he was the one responsible for getting his team through the Suns and The Spurs... Two of the best during that time... And I think it was also the year where he got the MAvs out of the 0-2 hole they dug in the Rocket series...

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 04:46 PM
No, the Mavericks swept the Grizzlies in the 1st round the year he made the finals. You are thinking of the year before. I also think Stephen Jackson did a great job defensively and Don Nelson had an advantage against the Mavericks, because he does know everything about Dirk and teh team pretty much.

Kakaroach
03-31-2009, 05:09 PM
It was Avery Johnson's fault they lost that series with the whole switching the starting line-up and stuff...

Ollie Tabooger
03-31-2009, 05:14 PM
Dirk top 10?

Kobe
Lebron
Dwade
Duncan
D Howard
Cp3
DWills
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Yao

honestly i think he's number 10 over joe johnson

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Top 10 players in the NBA
1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. Wade
4. CP3
5. Duncan
6. KG
7. Dirk
8. Yao
9. Howard
10. Pierce

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 05:28 PM
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Lebron
4. CP3
5. Howard
6. Duncan
7. KG
8. D Will
9. Pierce
10. Yao

To be honest I think Durant is as good as Dirk right now.

IBleedPurple
03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Dirk gets the recognition he deserves. A man crush or *** kissing thread isn't going to win him any more awards. Probably a top 15 player, not sure about top 10

Kakaroach
03-31-2009, 05:43 PM
He's a Top 5 player offensively, maybe even Top 3. Overall though, I dunno where he ranks. He may or may not be in the Top 10.

jrilla1210
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Dirk isnt overrated I just think a coulpe things factor into him going a little under the radar and one is the market he plays in, If Dirk were in a bigger media market he would be a superstar. Two if Dirk palyed a majority of his games in the central or eastern time zones more people would get to see more of his games on a regular. Imagine if Dirk was putting up those numbers in NewYork or Chicago. The NBA would market him alot. Dirk is a top 10 talent in the NBA without a doubt.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 06:00 PM
1. Kobe
2. Wade
3. Lebron
4. CP3
5. Howard
6. Duncan
7. KG
8. D Will
9. Pierce
10. Yao

To be honest I think Durant is as good as Dirk right now.
First off Yao is the best center in the NBA, and Duncan is clearly ahead of Howard. It seems like you are one of those stat junkies that only watch sportscenter instead of actually NBA games.

IBleedPurple
03-31-2009, 06:42 PM
First off Yao is the best center in the NBA, and Duncan is clearly ahead of Howard. It seems like you are one of those stat junkies that only watch sportscenter instead of actually NBA games.

:laugh:

Howard>Yao
Duncan>Yao

Do you have a son named Bart, Homer?

ddaughtry
03-31-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't know how anyone can say Dirk is underrated. Everyone gives him his credit from what I see.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
LOL top 3??? Kobe Wade Lebron come to mind wayyyyyyy before Dirk

He's a Top 5 player offensively, maybe even Top 3. Overall though, I dunno where he ranks. He may or may not be in the Top 10.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Says the Rocket fan :rolleyes: Howard is the best C in the NBA hands down. And Duncan is a PF

Kakaroach
03-31-2009, 07:38 PM
LOL top 3??? Kobe Wade Lebron come to mind wayyyyyyy before Dirk He's a better one-on-one scorer than Wade and LeBron because of his knock-down shooting. And I did said maybe. ;)

jrodmesche
03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
dirk can suck it

Kakaroach
03-31-2009, 08:18 PM
dirk can suck it:pity:

VCaintdead17
03-31-2009, 08:25 PM

I actually consider Pau a franchise player. A guy that you can build a team around.

SJSHARKIES
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
He's not underrated, he's a top 10 player no doubt. It's just his team isn't having success. Bosh in front of Dirk is a joke.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Says the Rocket fan :rolleyes: Howard is the best C in the NBA hands down. And Duncan is a PF
Duncan is a power forward, Duncan is ahead of Yao and Yao is ahead of Howard. I'm not surprised since you are probably a Kobe fan not a Laker fan.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Are you kidding me?? He may be a better shooter than Lebron but no way is he a better one on one scorer than Wade. Get off Dirks nutts

He's a better one-on-one scorer than Wade and LeBron because of his knock-down shooting. And I did said maybe. ;)

cmellofan15
03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
dirk can suck it

Lol, he certainly can :p

cmellofan15
03-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Duncan is a power forward, Duncan is ahead of Yao and Yao is ahead of Howard. I'm not surprised since you are probably a Kobe fan not a Laker fan.

:laugh:

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Yao is not ahead of either of those guys so keep dreaming. Howard IS the best big man in the league, get your facts straight. And I'm a Laker AND Kobe fan so try to stay on topic instead of talking about **** you dont really know

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 08:57 PM
Yao is not ahead of either of those guys so keep dreaming. Howard IS the best big man in the league, get your facts straight. And I'm a Laker AND Kobe fan so try to stay on topic instead of talking about **** you dont really know
Reading is not your best subject, All I said was YAo was ahead of Howard, which he is. Go look at the head to head matchups if you want further proof. Or are you going to bring up Yao getting blocked by Nate Robinson? :rolleyes:

gtfo, this is a Dirk thread you are pathetic.

cmellofan15
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Dude, you're the one who brought up the other players :confused:

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 09:06 PM
Head to head matchups doesn't make a player better than another dumbass. I guess you are just salty because your Rockets cant get out of the 1st round huh.

Reading is not your best subject, All I said was YAo was ahead of Howard, which he is. Go look at the head to head matchups if you want further proof. Or are you going to bring up Yao getting blocked by Nate Robinson? :rolleyes:

gtfo, this is a Dirk thread you are pathetic.

leftie5
03-31-2009, 09:07 PM

You actually believe he has leadership skills?

He has improved in that department, but he still has a loooong way to go before being considered a leader. Just watch this youtube clip from a few years back, where he kicks a ball into the stands, kicks an exercise bike, etc. I can understand he is frustrated, but you don't have to act like you are 12 years old in the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAH1c8nMrA&feature=PlayList&p=BBCF576A1E02D61C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=108

I also remember this game where he lit in to Terry on the court after Nash hit the game tying 3. It may have been his fault but you don't have to publicly freak out on him like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdG6r4r7qE&feature=related

But I do love Dirk's game. We have not seen a guy his size and that kind of skill set since Bird.

RealistRocket34
03-31-2009, 09:07 PM
This message is hidden because Lakers4ItAll is on your ignore list.

Thank god

You actually believe he has leadership skills?

He has improved in that department, but he still has a loooong way to go before being considered a leader. Just watch this youtube clip from a few years back, where he kicks a ball into the stands, kicks an exercise bike, etc. I can understand he is frustrated, but you don't have to act like you are 12 years old in the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAH1c8nMrA&feature=PlayList&p=BBCF576A1E02D61C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=108

I also remember this game where he lit in to Terry on the court after Nash hit the game tying 3. It may have been his fault but you don't have to publicly freak out on him like that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxdG6r4r7qE&feature=related

But I do love Dirk's game. We have not seen a guy his size and that kind of skill set since Bird.
He leads by example, he may have done some immature things, but he still got the job done by getting to the Finals

cmellofan15
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
How can you call someone else a nut hugger when you do this:

1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. Wade
4. CP3
5. Duncan
6. KG
7. Dirk
8. Yao
9. Howard
10. Pierce

This is the type of pathetic hate I hear all the time. Joe Johnson, Brandon Roy, Deron Williams, Yao, and Howard are not better than Dirk. Yao and Howard is the only one that isn't an insult to Dirk.

And you dedicate whole threads to how much Dirk is underrated. I've never seen him do that to Kobe.

dee279
03-31-2009, 09:30 PM
If you win the MVP u are not underrated or under appreciated. In my opinion Kobe should have won it that year IMO. Everyone knows he is a great Offensive player, but defensively he is not that good at all really.

Lakers4ItAll
03-31-2009, 10:22 PM
LOL on someones ignore list wow

MauryPovich
03-31-2009, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHCnisfMIjk

like shaq says. if anyone doesnt think dirk is a good player. il punch them in they face.

tjlipford
03-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Dirk is good but far from underrated.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Well it's not like Allen Iverson's team were scrubs either....

Mainly the Allen Iverson followers say his teammates were scrub just to worship his greatness. Allen Iverson had the Sixth man of the year Aaron McKie, He also had All-Star DPOY Dikemebe Mutombo.

And I don't think it's possible for a player to shoot 39% in the playoffs which also means missing 61% of their shots and yet going to the NBA Finals if they were all scrubs.

Are you incapable of starting a thread that isn't just to find an excuse to bash Allen Iverson.

The Sixers were actually better with Theo Ratliff that season than they were with Mutombo, so he really didn't have that great of an impact on our team and we wouldn't have traded for him had Ratliff not gotten hurt.

How about you get past your hate for Allen Iverson and actually start contributing some useful comments for once instead of just sneaking in cheap shots against a future HOF'er and one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're an athlete and you get the city of Philadelphia on your side, that says more about you as a player than anything else.

saucy1
04-01-2009, 01:13 AM
troy murphy is the mvp dunleavy 2nd

NYstateofMinD
04-01-2009, 08:03 AM
This thread died when you said you would take Dirk over Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, Yao, Dwight Howard and Joe Johnson.

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 11:18 AM
I would take Dirk over Joe Johnson actually.

Lone Maverick
04-01-2009, 12:09 PM
A few things really....

-Howard was not an all-star when the Heat beat the Mavs in the Finals he was one the NEXT season
-Devin Harris wasn't the 20ppg scorer then that he is now
-Stack wasn't averaging 20 like he had done in the years prior

The team Dirk had at best was good, no where near great. It was Dirk and role players, now to be fair some were very good for role players.

As for the original question. I think a big part of it is the fact that Dallas is fighting for the 8th seed. If they were challenging the Lakers for the 1 seed in the west Dirk would be getting more love. Most fans are products of the moment. A lot forgot the fact that KG, Allen, and Pierce didn't do a damn thing until they all got together and won it all. If Dirk wins a ring all the negative talk will cease.

BenFrank
04-01-2009, 12:25 PM
How u think Yao Ming feel

FOBolous
04-01-2009, 01:05 PM
This thread died when you said you would take Dirk over Deron Williams, Brandon Roy, Yao, Dwight Howard and Joe Johnson.

actually i would talk dirk over Joe Johnson and Roy. Definitely not over Williams, Yao, or Howard though.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Are you incapable of starting a thread that isn't just to find an excuse to bash Allen Iverson.

The Sixers were actually better with Theo Ratliff that season than they were with Mutombo, so he really didn't have that great of an impact on our team and we wouldn't have traded for him had Ratliff not gotten hurt.

How about you get past your hate for Allen Iverson and actually start contributing some useful comments for once instead of just sneaking in cheap shots against a future HOF'er and one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're an athlete and you get the city of Philadelphia on your side, that says more about you as a player than anything else.
I don't think you realize Mutombo helped them more in the playoffs than in the regular season. Then again you are an Iverson fan, so what could I expect. They take a look at Regular season accomplishments instead of post-season.

Allen Iverson is a great player, who is a lock in the HOF. He's just overrated.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-01-2009, 04:47 PM
what kind of forum is this. Dirk is good, offensively, on defense he is a cancer. People call dirk a choker b/c at the end of the game he is nowhere to be found. They go to him and he passes the ball off. Superstars find ways to win games...period.

Yes you need a supporting cast but i think he has more then enough of a supporting cast. He had Jason Terry, devin Harris, stackhouse, Dampier, alan henderson, doug christie in 2006. so dont tell me he didnt have a supporting cast. They let wade go off on them. why? Because Nowitski is a shooting guard/small foward and cant clog a lane at 7 feet. do you people watch basketball or do you look at stats.

Yes, offensively, nowitski is better then dwight Howard but on D its no comparison. Nowitski is not better then Yao Ming. Yao is a better post scorer, rebounder, defense, and passer. Only thing Nowitski has on him is the mid to 3 point shot, but Yao has a pretty nice jumper also. Dirk would be a top ten player if he worked on his defense (since he is the hardest working NBA player) someone said. He does choke at the end of games and doesnt want the ball usually. yes there are exceptions and i think he is starting to want the ball more at the end of games. Comparing him to Yao and Howard is just wrong he needs a special catagory like a Barganani or another 7'0 jump shooter.

Nowitski suffers from the same thing that will never make Carmelo Anthony an elite player or Zach Randolph. Think of all the HOF great players, championship winners like Shaq, duncan, MJ, Pippen, kobe, and the list goes on and tell me one of them that didnt bust their azz on defense to shut the opponent down. Offense never wins championships that is why Mark cuban attempted to get more defensive. so quit this under rated talk. if anything he is over rated and should have never won an MVP.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't think you realize Mutombo helped them more in the playoffs than in the regular season. Then again you are an Iverson fan, so what could I expect. They take a look at Regular season accomplishments instead of post-season.

Allen Iverson is a great player, who is a lock in the HOF. He's just overrated.

Let me get a few things straight...

First and foremost, I'm a 76ers fan....Allen Iverson just happens to be my favorite player. I don't root for what team he's on, I just hope he plays well. And I defend him against arseholes like yourself.

Just because the Sixers made it to the Finals with Mutombo doesn't mean that we wouldn't have made it with Ratliff, Kukoc, and Nazr Mohammed. It's easy to say he helped us in the playoffs when you look back at it. But the fact of the matter is that we were 41-14 before the Mutombo trade and were slightly above .500 after(15-12).

I don't know what else the guy could do other than win a Championship. He took a franchise that had been in the cellar after the Barkley trade and up until AI's arrival. He took the Sixers to the playoffs 6 straight seasons, with a different 2nd option every year.

Give the guy the credit he's due, instead of blindly bashing him and his fans. Your arguments against the guy are rediculous and unthoughtful. Stop talking about things you clearly know next to nothing about.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I know Allen Iverson is a cancer does that count?.....

The last 2 seasons he spend over there in Philly they missed the playoffs, I am counting the year he got traded because he led them to that disaster.

76ers made the playoffs next year with Andre Miller......

Carmelo Anthony was easily going to be the scoring champion the year Allen Iverson came over, Allen Iverson came and destroyed his scoring title because he cares more about his points....

Allen Iverson this season got traded to the Detroit Pistons...Denver Nuggets got much better, while the Pistons are lucky they are even in the playoffs at this point.

By the way, if you are going to throw out the record excuse for the Denver Nuggets. Consider this, Carmelo Anthony had a broken wrist through December to Late January, so he was pretty much out for a month. Allen Iverson's former team always becomes better, as Allen Iverson's current team gets worse. Cancer if you ask me. Or is he just a bad fit for his last 3 teams? Should we give him 27 other teams before we fully determine whether he's a cancer or not?

You could say this Allen Iverson is a cancer or both Andre Miller and Chauncey Billups are better than Iverson. I think both of them is true though.

We are talking about Dirk in this thread, so get over it.

blacknell
04-01-2009, 06:08 PM
he is a 20-10 guy almost every night i would take him on my team over alot of people he is easily a top 10 player

pd7631
04-01-2009, 06:18 PM
I know Allen Iverson is a cancer does that count?.....

The last 2 seasons he spend over there in Philly they missed the playoffs, I am counting the year he got traded because he led them to that disaster.

76ers made the playoffs next year with Andre Miller......

Carmelo Anthony was easily going to be the scoring champion the year Allen Iverson came over, Allen Iverson came and destroyed his scoring title because he cares more about his points....

Allen Iverson this season got traded to the Detroit Pistons...Denver Nuggets got much better, while the Pistons are lucky they are even in the playoffs at this point.

By the way, if you are going to throw out the record excuse for the Denver Nuggets. Consider this, Carmelo Anthony had a broken wrist through December to Late January, so he was pretty much out for a month. Allen Iverson's former team always becomes better, as Allen Iverson's current team gets worse. Cancer if you ask me. Or is he just a bad fit for his last 3 teams? Should we give him 27 other teams before we fully determine whether he's a cancer or not?

You could say this Allen Iverson is a cancer or both Andre Miller and Chauncey Billups are better than Iverson. I think both of them is true though.

We are talking about Dirk in this thread, so get over it.

First of all, you're the one who brought Allen Iverson in this argument, so deal with this...

When the Nuggets traded for Allen Iverson they clearly said that they wanted him to be himself, and he and Carmelo both finished in the top 5 in scoring, it's not like Melo was relegated to scoring 12 ppg or something.

If Allen Iverson makes all his teams worse, then why did the Sixers go from the worst team in the league to 6 straight playoff appearances(including a Finals appearance for the first time in 18 years)?

I really don't know what you mean by "the record excuse" because the way you say it makes no sense.

The Sixers did not become better because they got rid of Allen Iverson, everyone seems to forget that when AI left so did C-Webb...why isn't it that we got better after C-Webb left?

For some reason you keep going back to his last 2 seasons with the Sixers and you totally forget about the rest.

The guy is not a cancer, it's unbelievable how that's your only real argument against the guy....."oh yeah well he's a cancer, he's still a cancer". Cancer this cancer that....gimme a freaking break. Have you ever heard the guy speak about his teammates. For 10+ years in Philly, every year he would say that he was happy about the teammates he's had and that he felt he could win a championship with them.....no matter how bad they really were.

Maybe if Billy King could have brought in an All-Star player in their prime instead of aging broken down players who were good 5 years prior to their arrivals in Philly, the Sixers could have won a championship.

You're clearly basing Allen Iverson's whole career on this season, and have no perspective on the situation as a whole.

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
I can't believe people are putting Joe Johnson over Dirk. Bleh.

Dirk has carried his teams over and over to the playoffs...people emphasice whenever he has come up short and negate all the time he has played well at big moments.

Joe Johnson hasn't done jack as his team best player...one playoff appearance. Bah.

Before Kidd came on board, Dirk was counted on to do alot...it was up to him not only to score...but set up his teammates. It's easy to blame him for the first round loss against Golden State and the finals collapse against Miami. The fact is...his play was what made those Dallas teams competitive in the first place.

Golden State just won because they exploited Dirk whenevener he put the ball on the floor they sent a help defender. It made Dirk frantic and he rushed things. Not really good...but considering how no one else stepped up it is easy to have made Dirk the fall guy.

It's good that they have Kidd now...as his career winds down, Dirk should relieve himself from wear and tear in the post and play the good ol screen and pops he did with Nash. Problem is as he his lateral movement decreases, his reliance on his perimeter game will increase.

Dirk in his prime was dangerous because he could not only score fade away daggers under duress...but also catch the ball in the high post, use his quickness to face up his man. That mixup was what made Dirk the worst player against San Antonio because we had no player with length and quickness to stay with him,

As his quickness dimishes, Dirk relies more and more on the jumper, and as a result he has become less efficient. That is why Dallas isn;t an elite team anymore...Dirk has lost some mobility and cannot exploit the matchups as easily as in the past.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 07:14 PM
First of all, you're the one who brought Allen Iverson in this argument, so deal with this...

When the Nuggets traded for Allen Iverson they clearly said that they wanted him to be himself, and he and Carmelo both finished in the top 5 in scoring, it's not like Melo was relegated to scoring 12 ppg or something.

I was talking about 2006-2007, the year Melo was easily going to be the scoring champion that year..

If Allen Iverson makes all his teams worse, then why did the Sixers go from the worst team in the league to 6 straight playoff appearances(including a Finals appearance for the first time in 18 years)?

I really don't know what you mean by "the record excuse" because the way you say it makes no sense.

The Sixers did not become better because they got rid of Allen Iverson, everyone seems to forget that when AI left so did C-Webb...why isn't it that we got better after C-Webb left?

For some reason you keep going back to his last 2 seasons with the Sixers and you totally forget about the rest.

So turning a team into playoff contenders, no longer makes them a cancer? Then is there such thing as a cancer in the league? :rolleyes:

Most pathetic Allen Iverson fans act like the Nuggets aren't any better, because their record looks identical to last year.

So you are going to call Chris Webber a cancer instead of Allen Iverson? :rolleyes:

I am not sure if you realize this, but Chris Webber left the 76ers after the 05-06 season, and Allen Iverson was still on the 76ers during the beginning of the 2006-2007 season and they were still extremely pathetic when Allen Iverson was playing for them.

When Andre Miller came to the 76ers, the 76ers got hot at the 2nd half of the season, but they still missed the playoffs due to Allen Iverson.

The guy is not a cancer, it's unbelievable how that's your only real argument against the guy....."oh yeah well he's a cancer, he's still a cancer". Cancer this cancer that....gimme a freaking break. Have you ever heard the guy speak about his teammates. For 10+ years in Philly, every year he would say that he was happy about the teammates he's had and that he felt he could win a championship with them.....no matter how bad they really were.

Maybe if Billy King could have brought in an All-Star player in their prime instead of aging broken down players who were good 5 years prior to their arrivals in Philly, the Sixers could have won a championship.

You're clearly basing Allen Iverson's whole career on this season, and have no perspective on the situation as a whole.
Great opinion, I am a fan of facts. I have seen this guy play in Denver and in Philly. He's a cancer..... It's not very hard to understand that if he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is a completely useless player. He plays no defense what so ever, the only thing he does is get great stats and despite that he still hurts your team more than he helps them.

It's pathetic, Carmelo Anthony and George Karl were the complete blame for last year's lack of success in Denver, and Allen Iverson gets this free pass? Why because he had a moral victory 7 years ago? :rolleyes:

ragee
04-01-2009, 07:34 PM
1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. Wade
4. CP3
5. Duncan
6. KG
7. Dirk
8. Yao
9. Howard
10. Pierce

Hahaha... Here you go again with the Yao being better than Dwight... Not going to argue anymore... You are entitled to your OPINION...

pd7631
04-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I was talking about 2006-2007, the year Melo was easily going to be the scoring champion that year..

So turning a team into playoff contenders, no longer makes them a cancer? Then is there such thing as a cancer in the league? :rolleyes:

Most pathetic Allen Iverson fans act like the Nuggets aren't any better, because their record looks identical to last year.

So you are going to call Chris Webber a cancer instead of Allen Iverson? :rolleyes:

I am not sure if you realize this, but Chris Webber left the 76ers after the 05-06 season, and Allen Iverson was still on the 76ers during the beginning of the 2006-2007 season and they were still extremely pathetic when Allen Iverson was playing for them.

When Andre Miller came to the 76ers, the 76ers got hot at the 2nd half of the season, but they still missed the playoffs due to Allen Iverson.

Great opinion, I am a fan of facts. I have seen this guy play in Denver and in Philly. He's a cancer..... It's not very hard to understand that if he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is a completely useless player. He plays no defense what so ever, the only thing he does is get great stats and despite that he still hurts your team more than he helps them.

It's pathetic, Carmelo Anthony and George Karl were the complete blame for last year's lack of success in Denver, and Allen Iverson gets this free pass? Why because he had a moral victory 7 years ago? :rolleyes:

And here is where you lose all credability....I've been a lifelong Sixers fan and have watched nearly every game for the last 14 years....and you come out and try to tell me something about the team that you think I don't know. Well I don't know if you realized this, but Chris Webber WAS on the the Sixers in 2006-2007 you ****. I actually went to Andre Miller's first game on the Sixers and, OH MY GOD!! Chris Webber played with him!! I must have imagined that.

Now, I didn't call Chris Webber a cancer, I just said that he was on the team too when the Sixers missed the playoffs those 2 seasons, but nobody wants to think that he had any impact on our team.

So please do us all a favor and stop your ignorance before it continues to bite you in your *** more than it already has.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
And here is where you lose all credability....I've been a lifelong Sixers fan and have watched nearly every game for the last 14 years....and you come out and try to tell me something about the team that you think I don't know. Well I don't know if you realized this, but Chris Webber WAS on the the Sixers in 2006-2007 you ****. I actually went to Andre Miller's first game on the Sixers and, OH MY GOD!! Chris Webber played with him!! I must have imagined that.

Now, I didn't call Chris Webber a cancer, I just said that he was on the team too when the Sixers missed the playoffs those 2 seasons, but nobody wants to think that he had any impact on our team.

So please do us all a favor and stop your ignorance before it continues to bite you in your *** more than it already has.
Nice rebuttal. Oh wiat..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=897
06-07 Team: DET

Is there some type of typo? :rolleyes:

You do remember Chris Webber was on the team where LeBron James destroyed right?

My god, you are just trolling at this point you don't even know when Chris Webber left a team. Chris Webber played 18 games with the 76ers then Left. How many games did Iverson play again?

This is pathetic, the Allen Iverson slurp-fest on this forum is lame.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 07:40 PM
he still hurts your team more than he helps them.

Tell that to all the garbage players around the league who earned big contracts because of Allen Iverson(Kenny Thomas, Eric Snow, Aaron Mckie, etc.)

He plays no defense what so ever

Are you trying to say that he doesn't try to play defense or that he just doesn't have the size to be a quality defender? Because Allen Iverson has used his speed and ballhawking skills to be one of the best if not THE best at getting steals in the league the last 10 years. The guy gives it everything he's got, what more can you ask from a player....that's why Larry Brown admires him and that's why the fans of Philly admire him.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Nice rebuttal. Oh wiat..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?playerId=897
06-07 Team: DET

Is there some type of typo? :rolleyes:

You do remember Chris Webber was on the team where LeBron James destroyed right?

My god, you are just trolling at this point you don't even know when Chris Webber left a team. Chris Webber played 18 games with the 76ers then Left. How many games did Iverson play again?

This is pathetic, the Allen Iverson slurp-fest on this forum is lame.

You're so effing stupid it's rediculous. Chris Webber played his last game for the Sixers on December 27, 2006....he was then bought out and signed with the Pistons. Allen Iverson played his last game for the Sixers on December 6, 2006. Please tell me what you don't understand about that.

There's nothing you can say, there's no links you can copy and paste to refute what I have just said. My statements are cold hard facts as well as eye witness accounts of what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

You really need to stop trying to beat me at this game because it's not happening, you're wrong......deal with it

pd7631
04-01-2009, 07:49 PM
^^besides, in a previous post you claimed that C-Webb left the Sixers after the 05-06 season, but then you later say that he played 18 games for the Sixers in 06-07. So you proved to yourself how stupid you are.

R. Johnson#3
04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
People who win MVP are so underrated and under-appreciated. Dirk needs a super MVP award, then people will start noticing him.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 07:59 PM
You're so effing stupid it's rediculous. Chris Webber played his last game for the Sixers on December 27, 2006....he was then bought out and signed with the Pistons. Allen Iverson played his last game for the Sixers on December 6, 2006. Please tell me what you don't understand about that.

There's nothing you can say, there's no links you can copy and paste to refute what I have just said. My statements are cold hard facts as well as eye witness accounts of what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

You really need to stop trying to beat me at this game because it's not happening, you're wrong......deal with it
Yes, nice opinion.

I am pd7631: instead of blaming my nuthugging lover Allen Iverson, I'll just blame Chris Webber so Iverson's greatness will continue. :rolleyes:

Iverson is a cancer, there's a reason why the Nuggets are legit contenders in the West and the 76ers are actually making the playoffs now in the East.

This season is just verifying my point, but then again he doesn't fit the system right? :rolleyes:

^^besides, in a previous post you claimed that C-Webb left the Sixers after the 05-06 season, but then you later say that he played 18 games for the Sixers in 06-07. So you proved to yourself how stupid you are.

Thinking Allen Iverson isn't a cancer is being stupid

pd7631
04-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes, nice opinion.

I am pd7631: instead of blaming my nuthugging lover Allen Iverson, I'll just blame Chris Webber so Iverson's greatness will continue. :rolleyes:

Iverson is a cancer, there's a reason why the Nuggets are legit contenders in the West and the 76ers are actually making the playoffs now in the East.

This season is just verifying my point, but then again he doesn't fit the system right? :rolleyes:

Thinking Allen Iverson isn't a cancer is being stupid

Funny how after you get called out for your lack of knowledge you aren't even man enough to admit when you're wrong and you continue to revert back to the same things.

I'm done arguing with you because it's quite clear that I've brought more to the table than you could imagine and you have nothing of substance to refute my statements with.

pd7631
04-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Dirk is underappreciated because the Mavericks are no longer relevant anymore. He's a great player and he means a lot to the European influence in the NBA today. He's surrounded by a team of old players past their primes and it's time for the Mavs to begin the rebuilding process.

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 08:14 PM
What did you bring to the table? Your opinion. Ok thanks I win, ignored.

Mr.ATLHawks
04-02-2009, 08:57 AM
LOL@these 2 arguing about allen Iverson. I will interject my 2 cents here. First and foremost, yes Iverson will not fit into Detroits style of play, half court possession game. He needs to fly up and down the court because he is an extremely undersized 2 guard. Allen Iverson is NOT a point guard therefore, yes, he didnt work in Denver b/c they wanted him to be the point guard and thats not his game. If you remember his Philly days Snow was the point guard and Iverson ran the 2.

Is he a Cancer? I would say hell no give the guy a break he is getting old like the rest of the stars. I dont know how someone how goes out virtually every year and takes more hits, plays thru pain, and barely misses games can be called a cancer. I definitely dont agree with that dubbing. Denver needed a point guard, period. Yes their record is better when Nene is playing good, K-Mart is playing good, Allen Iverson has been a great player for awhile now and he just shows signs of his age....

bostncelts34
04-02-2009, 09:04 AM
i dont see how u say he led a team of of nobodys to the finals? Josh howard,jason terry...so on. lol

RealistRocket34
04-02-2009, 04:16 PM
Then how did Iverson bring nobodies to the finals? Aaron McKie 6th man of the year, Mutombo DPOY multiple winner too.

I never even said he had nobodies, I said he had no all-stars Dirk, the one who isn't a cancer.

JayW_1023
04-02-2009, 05:25 PM
That 2001 supporting cast was mostly consistent of really great role players who don't need to have a certain amount of touches. Larry Brown knew that he couldn't transform AI into a traditional point guard, so he built a team around him that would allow AI to continue his freewheeling ways. They had rebounders who can put back misses, big guards like Snow and McKie who can guard bigger perimeter guys so AI won't create mismatches defensively. They had weakside defenders like Ratliff/Mutombo...and shooters who could knock down shots whenever defenses collapsed on dribble penetration.

Getting that Sixers team to the finals should really be more credit for Browns coaching. He built and developed a team around Iverson that allowed him to play to his strengths and compensate for his weaknesses. Brown basically gave up on trying to mold AI...he just unleashed him with all the offensive freedom and the supporting cast had an uncanny understanding of Iverson tendencies, which made it a great supporting unit.