PDA

View Full Version : Best clutch player per 82games.com

EHL
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
According to 82games.com:

Kobe Bryant leads the NBA in "clutch baskets" with 56.7% of his points in the 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points. LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are tied for second, while Dwyane Wade is 4th. Chris Paul of the Hornets round out the top five. Biggest surprise? Zach Randolph of the paper clips is 10th

http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

Good to hear he's still one of the best closer in the game :clap:

Spurred1
03-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Great-but haven't we seen this topic a million times before?

EHL
03-30-2009, 09:30 PM

Sorry, Im new here. If this can be merged to a most recent thread, I would appreciate it.

madiaz3
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM

Eh, we've seen everyone's different sites with varying definitions of clutch play or clutch baskets.

Kohaku
I thought of Carmelo first..sorry lol.

Spurred1
^Ah-well, the mods have all the merging powers. One of them will probably do it soon..or not, since a lot of them are pretty crappy. ;)
Welcome to the forums, btw.

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 09:36 PM
LOL Yea welcome here

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I thought of Carmelo first..sorry lol. x2 As much as I hate the guy, he seems to knock down all of the game-winning buzzing beaters.

maverick1155
03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Carmelo should be # 1!!! lol

EHL
03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah Carmelo is huge. I also noticed Travis Outlaw is one of those players that hits a lot of clutch shots but seems to be snubbed.

blackjack_119
03-30-2009, 10:46 PM
According to 82games.com:

Kobe Bryant leads the NBA in "clutch baskets" with 56.7% of his points in the 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points. LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony are tied for second, while Dwyane Wade is 4th. Chris Paul of the Hornets round out the top five. Biggest surprise? Zach Randolph of the paper clips is 10th

http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

Good to hear he's still one of the best closer in the game :clap:

That is not what the stats mean at all. The stat you are referencing says that if all clutch time were expanded into a 48 min stat line, Kobe would have 56.7pts per game. He would also jack up 39.1 shots per game.

This means that Kobe is the biggest ball hog in clutch time... not the "clutchest" player. This also explains why Z-Bo is so high on the list. No one is surprised that he hogs the ball tenth most in clutch time.

Kobe actually ranks 62nd in the NBA for FG% in clutch time. If you want to start another thread about that, enjoy.

EDIT: The stats also show that someone gets an assist on his buckets 13% of the time in the clutch. That is tied for thirteen worse which shows his heavy propensity for ignoring the rest of his team in the clutch and attacking the game "1 on 5."

DerekRE_3
03-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Kobe may get more points per 48 during crunch time, but Lebron beat him in field goal percentage, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, 3 point percentage, and assist to turnover ratio. Just trying to point out that there is more to scoring in crunch time.

Kobe: 56.7 PPG 9.2 RPG 6.3 APG 0 BPG 1.1 SPG 48% FG 42% 3 point 91% FT
Lebron: 54.4 PPG 14.1 RPG 12.7 APG 1.8 BPG 3.2 SPG 54% FG 44% 3 point 86% FT

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 11:18 PM
^^Very true. Much more than scoring during crunch time. Defense is also something that does not show in the boxscore.

DenButsu
03-31-2009, 12:19 AM
^Ah-well, the mods have all the merging powers. One of them will probably do it soon..or not, since a lot of them are pretty crappy. ;)
Welcome to the forums, btw.

:mad::mad::mad:
:box::box::box:
:guns::guns::guns:

:moon:

DerekRE_3
03-31-2009, 12:39 AM

nvm

DerekRE_3
03-31-2009, 12:40 AM

She was probably talking about Josh Den, not you.

DenButsu
03-31-2009, 12:46 AM
She was probably talking about Josh Den, not you.

Oh, okay, well in that case that's fine, then.

Young2Kinsler
03-31-2009, 12:47 AM
And people say Dirk isn't clutch... nice to see him and Terry up there.

G-Funk
03-31-2009, 01:06 AM
That is not what the stats mean at all. The stat you are referencing says that if all clutch time were expanded into a 48 min stat line, Kobe would have 56.7pts per game. He would also jack up 39.1 shots per game.

This means that Kobe is the biggest ball hog in clutch time... not the "clutchest" player. This also explains why Z-Bo is so high on the list. No one is surprised that he hogs the ball tenth most in clutch time.

Kobe actually ranks 62nd in the NBA for FG% in clutch time. If you want to start another thread about that, enjoy.

EDIT: The stats also show that someone gets an assist on his buckets 13% of the time in the clutch. That is tied for thirteen worse which shows his heavy propensity for ignoring the rest of his team in the clutch and attacking the game "1 on 5."

That's the anwser u were looking for EHL

EHL
03-31-2009, 01:23 AM
That's the anwser u were looking for EHL

Agree. Good analysis. Just shows that Lebron has really overtaken Kobe as the leagues best and undisputable player.:clap:

NBA-FAN4EVER
03-31-2009, 04:43 AM
Kobe may get more points per 48 during crunch time, but Lebron beat him in field goal percentage, rebounds, assists, blocks, steals, 3 point percentage, and assist to turnover ratio. Just trying to point out that there is more to scoring in crunch time.

Kobe: 56.7 PPG 9.2 RPG 6.3 APG 0 BPG 1.1 SPG 48% FG 42% 3 point 91% FT
Lebron: 54.4 PPG 14.1 RPG 12.7 APG 1.8 BPG 3.2 SPG 54% FG 44% 3 point 86% FT

Also check the attempts

KObe: 56.7 pts on 39.1 FGA .481 FG%

Lebron: 54.4 pts on 30.8 FGA .544 FG% ( dude is putting up triple double numbers in the clutch lol... 14.1 REBOUNDS and 12.7 AST)

D Wades defense plays in the clutch are insane:speechless:

5.8 BLKS and 3.5 STLS

Lebron and KObe defensive numbers in the clutch

KObe: 0.0 BLKS and 1.1 STLS

Lebron: 1.8 BLKS 3.2 STLS

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 04:45 AM
Agree. Good analysis. Just shows that Lebron has really overtaken Kobe as the leagues best and undisputable player.:clap:

How so?

ARMIN12NBA
03-31-2009, 04:52 AM

LOL. Bryant shoots over 48% from the field in crunch time. No way you can say he is a ball-hog right there (or that he has a bad FG%). Not to mention the many times he has found open teammates in the clutch and his great defense during the closing moments of games.

That is not conclusive whatsoever. Just because Bryant's points are assisted on only 13% during the clutch, it doesn't mean that he is ignoring the rest of the team. That simply means that his teammates are not passing him the ball in situations that could provide a quick score. Thus, resulting in an assist....Seriously, your post was complete garbage and had no merit.

KG2TB
03-31-2009, 05:51 AM
Don't need numbers to tell me who the best clutch players are. Kobe, Bron and Wade are at the top of the list. If there's one player I want taking the last shot, it's Kobe. If my team is down a bunch of points in the 4th, I'd prefer Wade or Bron as they're more efficient, create more for their teammates, and IMO are better defenders. Although that's certainly debatable.

bahama0811
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I'll stick with Melo in crunch time, there's no one better.

DQL
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
^ yeah although I'm a Heat fan I have to say Melo is super clutch. Oh well btw Haslem is clutch too. I'm pretty sure he has made more than half of his shots in the final few seconds

DQL
03-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Also check the attempts

KObe: 56.7 pts on 39.1 FGA .481 FG%

Lebron: 54.4 pts on 30.8 FGA .544 FG% ( dude is putting up triple double numbers in the clutch lol... 14.1 REBOUNDS and 12.7 AST)

D Wades defense plays in the clutch are insane:speechless:

5.8 BLKS and 3.5 STLS

Lebron and KObe defensive numbers in the clutch

KObe: 0.0 BLKS and 1.1 STLS

Lebron: 1.8 BLKS 3.2 STLS

2nd in the league behind Dalembert :speechless: :speechless: :worthy:

Frezhnitz
03-31-2009, 01:08 PM
Kobe is just awesome when it comes to clutch. People who says hes a ball hogger are just haters. Great players have the ball most of the time.

Luffy
03-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Don't need numbers to tell me who the best clutch players are. Kobe, Bron and Wade are at the top of the list. If there's one player I want taking the last shot, it's Kobe. If my team is down a bunch of points in the 4th, I'd prefer Wade or Bron as they're more efficient, create more for their teammates, and IMO are better defenders. Although that's certainly debatable.

Based on the "Game Winning Shots" stats, I don't know if you want Kobe taking the last shot.

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

Kobe fans don't like to hear it, but while their man is #4 in the league in total game winners hit, he holds the top spot in a less glamorous category: most game winning opportunity missed shots!

42 - Kobe
35 - Vince Carter
33 - Joe Johnson, LeBron
32 - Crawford
31 - Billups

Now we're not Kobe haters by any means and I will readily give him his due as one of the best NBA players (note however, I didn't say the best) but he certainly has an overblown reputation when it comes to the clutch shot: people remember the ones he hits, but not the ones he misses, and heck you think a 56 FGA to 1 assist ratio might be part of the problem? He does have a better record in the playoffs though, which we'll get to down below.

blackjack_119
03-31-2009, 04:18 PM
LOL. Bryant shoots over 48% from the field in crunch time. No way you can say he is a ball-hog right there (or that he has a bad FG%). Not to mention the many times he has found open teammates in the clutch and his great defense during the closing moments of games.

That is not conclusive whatsoever. Just because Bryant's points are assisted on only 13% during the clutch, it doesn't mean that he is ignoring the rest of the team. That simply means that his teammates are not passing him the ball in situations that could provide a quick score. Thus, resulting in an assist....Seriously, your post was complete garbage and had no merit.

The fact that Bryant shoots 48% doesn't show that he is a ball hog, true. The fact that he attempts the equivalent of 39.1 field goals does. The next closest is D-Wade with 33.5. That is a huge disparity. For Wade, it is understandable because he has a very mediocre supporting cast. What is Kobe's excuse for taking nearly 20% more shots than anyone else in the rest of the league?

KG2TB
03-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Based on the "Game Winning Shots" stats, I don't know if you want Kobe taking the last shot.

http://www.82games.com/gamewinningshots.htm

That maybe true but look at the other names on the list. All really clutch players, they just take the most clutch shots. I don't care if Kobe has the most missed last second shots...with the game on the line I want Kobe taking the shot. Wade a close second. I'm not even a Kobe fan either.