PDA

View Full Version : Would Kobe be humble enough?

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 06:38 PM
last year Kg was humble enough to allow Pierce to be the main man inthe finals, they won the title Pierce got the Mvp.

Duncan was humble enough to allow parker to be the mvp and they won the finals.

Ok lets say Cavs reach the finals against Lakers, Lebron is tough so kobe wont get anything easy while with Ben Wallace out Interior D of cavs is no Match for Bynum or Pau.

Would he be humble enough to pass the Ball to Bynum or Pau and score less points with the risk of not being the Mvp to allow the lakers winning the Ring?

lakerboy
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
I believe so. He'll do what it takes to win a ring.

ARMIN12NBA
03-30-2009, 06:48 PM
last year Kg was humble enough to allow Pierce to be the main man inthe finals, they won the title Pierce got the Mvp.

Ok lets say Cavs reach the finals against Lakers, Lebron is tough so kobe wont get anything easy while with Ben Wallace out Interior D of cavs is no Match for Bynum or Pau.

Would he be humble enough to pass the Ball to Bynum or Pau and score less points with the risk of not being the Mvp to allow the lakers winning the Ring?

It's not about being humble or not humble. It's about winning for Kobe Bryant. Always has been. He sacrificed his game for many years with Shaq. The Lakers FO was even considering trading Shaq in 2001 because of their rift and they wanted to allow Kobe to prosper. Instead, Kobe sacrificed his game to win championships. If it takes passing then Bryant will most definitely pass. If he needs to score in a situation then he will score. No doubt about it.

Hawkize31
03-30-2009, 07:01 PM
It's not about being humble or not humble. It's about winning for Kobe Bryant. Always has been. He sacrificed his game for many years with Shaq. The Lakers FO was even considering trading Shaq in 2001 because of their rift and they wanted to allow Kobe to prosper. Instead, Kobe sacrificed his game to win championships. If it takes passing then Bryant will most definitely pass. If he needs to score in a situation then he will score. No doubt about it.

Well, if that were 100% true, wouldn't Kobe recognize the fact that his team has a better record when he scores less than 20 points? (13-2 this year, and its been good going back a few years now)

He plays in a style where the offense centers around him a ton, and he is good enough for that to be ok (best record in the west). But if he played like a team player, he would have an even better team.

JayW_1023
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Three years ago he might not have. But right now, no question. Kobe's maturity is one of the main reasons the Lakers have risen back into the elite...not just Gasol being added.

People forget the Lakers were already a great team last year before they got Gasol, and Kobe carried them. Gasos acquisition just pushed themfurther into a legit contender.

ARMIN12NBA
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Well, if that were 100% true, wouldn't Kobe recognize the fact that his team has a better record when he scores less than 20 points? (13-2 this year, and its been good going back a few years now)

He plays in a style where the offense centers around him a ton, and he is good enough for that to be ok (best record in the west). But if he played like a team player, he would have an even better team.

Wouldn't you recognize the fact that those games were blow-outs from the start? Thus, Bryant played less minutes in those games and did not have to score as much. It's pretty simple. Like I've said, it's basically accounting for variables and this is an example of how stats lie.

ttam68
03-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Go Spain!

madiaz3
03-30-2009, 07:15 PM

I think you got the KG and Pierce thing mixed up. KG came into Pierce's house. Pierce was matched up against Lebron and he took it to him anyway.

As for the topic, it has nothing to do with Kobe being humble, I forgot that if you shoot a bit much a few times in a season it overshadows a man's performance the entire season thus far leading his team to potentially the best overall record. He's clearly shown the ability to defer and the team is just better than last years. Regardless of it not being a playoff game, last year, with just Bynum or Gasol they were not even able to put a dent in the Celtics during their regular season match ups. This season you see a new mentality and for the most important victories they have had, Gasol has always had a piece of the pie. As for his other great scoring nights, sure Kobe scored 61 on the Knicks but Gasol had 30 too, it's not all about Kobe. Wait for the playoffs, will you? I've noticed a new slant against Kobe by you for once, but Kobe has shown way more often than not that he knows what he needs to do to win this season.

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 07:18 PM
At this point in his career, I think so. One thing a lot of people forget is that Pau led his team to the playoffs single-handedly for a season or two. Kobe is mature enough and wants to win that badly.

aWiLL 20
03-30-2009, 07:22 PM
in my opinion....kobe will still get his against lebron. lbj isn't the leagues best defender, come on...kobe has way too many ways to score...the man will still put up big numbers

EHL
03-30-2009, 07:25 PM
I doubt this. Kobe loves the spotlight. He wants not only the NBA Title but he wants to get the recognition that he's the primary reason they won it.

Having the NBA Finals MVP will solidify his case, so NO, kobe wont be humble enough IMO. You live or die with him.

madiaz3
03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I doubt this. Kobe loves the spotlight. He wants not only the NBA Title but he wants to get the recognition that he's the primary reason they won it.

Having the NBA Finals MVP will solidify his case, so NO, kobe wont be humble enough IMO. You live or die with him.

It's more of a matter of whether Pau will even deserve enough credit to warrant the Finals MVP. hell this whole argument goes out the window if the cavs dont even make it.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
^It stands whatever team Reach the finals except for the Celtics, becuase Kg is enough troube for Gasol Or Bynum.

But Rashard Lewis? brand? Josh Smith? no prob.

GoatMilk
03-30-2009, 07:33 PM
this dude with his Pau/Spanish threads >.<

NYMetros
03-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't think he cares how he wins a ring, just as long as he does win a ring. However, I think sometimes he gets into that mentality of thinking he has to do everything by himself. He pretty much completely dominated the ball in the Finals last year. But I think if you gave him the choice of winning the Finals and not being MVP or losing the Finals and putting up ridiculous numbers, he would take the 1st option every time.

BTW, I don't really agree with the OP in saying that Garnett allowed Pierce to be the MVP. Garntett was very aggressive in the Finals last year.
Game 1: 22 FGA
Game 2: 19 FGA
Game 3: 21 FGA
Game 4: 14 FGA
Game 5: 11 FGA
Game 6: 18 FGA

Compared to Pierce's Field goal attempts...
Game 1: 10 FGA
Game 2: 16 FGA
Game 3: 14 FGA
Game 4: 13 FGA
Game 5: 22 FGA
Game 6: 13 FGA

The only game where Pierce took more shots than Garnett was game 5. So I don't really agree with you that Garnett "let" Pierce be the MVP, because KG was putting up shots at a very high clip as well.

_KB24_
03-30-2009, 07:50 PM
It is not being humble, its about who has the better series. As much as I hate to say it, Pierce was the best player in the Finals. As of the Duncan case, Parker was unstoppable those Finals and clearly deserved it. None of the above allowed the other the award, they just did what was right and Kobe will do what ever it takes to win.

JordansBulls
03-30-2009, 08:25 PM

I don't think it would help his case if he can't win finals mvp since most of the all time greats he is in the running with have them or have multiple mvp's.

EHL
03-30-2009, 09:17 PM
It is not being humble, its about who has the better series. As much as I hate to say it, Pierce was the best player in the Finals. As of the Duncan case, Parker was unstoppable those Finals and clearly deserved it. None of the above allowed the other the award, they just did what was right and Kobe will do what ever it takes to win.

Not even.

Ray Allen IMO had a slightly better series than Pierce in the Finals. Ray was also huge in Games 4 and 6. And those were the key series that made the Celtics as the eventual Champion.

Check the stats and countless videos on youtube.

superkegger
03-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Kobe won 3 championships with Shaq being the Finals MVP. Kobe "was humble enough" to go through Shaq, because he was aware that, oh hey, give the ball to shaq and nobody can really stop him. Kobe is about winning. Winning is what matters. As pointed out, there are different numbers on when and how the Lakers win. But Kobe is one of the most aggressive offensive players in the game. And by that I mean he honestly feels that no matter what, he has the advantage offensively and that he can break them down by attacking them in one way or another. And with the triangle, if other players aren't being aggressive, Kobe will be. When teammates aren't calling for the ball or working to get open in the triangle, Kobe will take over, because he has that bloodthirsty kill mentality. He's a willing passer, but the triangle calls for you to be aggressive, and when others aren't, he's going to take over. And it then becomes a bit cyclical, because Kobe is always attacking, and then others defer to him, so he keeps attacking, and others stop.

Back on point though. Kobe wants to win. End of story. He'll do whatever is in power, or whatever he feels is necessary to win. It's not about being humble, it's about the other Lakers being aggressive.

_KB24_
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Not even.

Ray Allen IMO had a slightly better series than Pierce in the Finals. Ray was also huge in Games 4 and 6. And those were the key series that made the Celtics as the eventual Champion.

Check the stats and countless videos on youtube.

Well you first said not even, and then you said "slightly" better. I really don't like both of them but Pierce was their go to man for a reason.

GodsSon
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
i dont see why he would care to not defer the limelight when we would be presented with another ring a few months later

bostncelts34
03-30-2009, 09:55 PM
i dont understand how "kg allowed pierce to be the mvp". Pierce TOOK the mvp with great shot selection, high shooting percentage and all around great play. Kg didnt deserve the mvp award, pierce did. Pierce earned it, he didnt receive it from kg.

but as for the question...im not sure to be honest. Obv. he has matured alot more since his earlier years. Id hope if Gasol wa having a great series kobe wouldnt try to take over a game 6 or something to try and snag the MVP instead of just letting the game flow.

LA412
03-30-2009, 09:58 PM
i doubt it.........but lets be honest......KG didnt let Pierce take the MVP.........Pierce was the one hitting the big shots down the stretch so he deserved it

what54!?
03-30-2009, 10:00 PM
I would hope kobe just cares about winning the championship. Thats all I would

ragee
03-30-2009, 10:15 PM

I am not a Kobe fan.... The reason I hate the Lakers is because of him but let us face it, Kobe will score at will even if he is guarded by Lebron or any other good defensive player... Unlike Wade and Lebron, He has his jumpshot to rely on when he is being stopped at driving to the basket... I think he is not a ball-hog... He wants to hog the spotlight but he is a team player... (WOW, I can't believe I am defending this guy! LOL)

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
100% agree with SuperKegger. I mean, he shared with Shaq, why not someone else. Not that anybody else on the Lakers except for Pau can put up numbers like Shaq.

op12
03-30-2009, 10:40 PM
if gasol has to be the main focus the lakers wont win the finals. kobe has to be on top of his game for them to beat the cavs or celtics. gasol is a good #2, he is not a #1. he did decent in memphis with little help as the #1, but i dont think he can take over a series like kobe, lebron, pierce or wade.

unwantedplayer
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Kobe is the only player in the Lakers that can control the game. Don't get me wrong, Gasol and Bynum are excellent #2 and #3 options, but Kobe doesn't want to pass up a championship because he wants other teammates involved. After all, a championship is the most wanted thing in the NBA, right?

kvrnm
03-30-2009, 10:52 PM
dudes very selfish so im gonna say no

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
if gasol has to be the main focus the lakers wont win the finals. kobe has to be on top of his game for them to beat the cavs or celtics. gasol is a good #2, he is not a #1. he did decent in memphis with little help as the #1, but i dont think he can take over a series like kobe, lebron, pierce or wade.

You are talking like it needs to be one guy scores 40 and other guy scores 8 a game.

thats not it.

you can fairly be certain that you can win a finals with Kobe Scoring 21 or 22 ppg and Gasol scoring 23- 24 a game.

Plus there is a reason why its a good idea to pass teh ball to a big man inside in the finals.

Just go Check fg% rankings and see how many Biggies are in the top 20 and how many sguards.

Except for Jordan who was an Alien no one won rings without a scoring presence inside.

_KB24_
03-31-2009, 01:06 AM
100% agree with SuperKegger. I mean, he shared with Shaq, why not someone else. Not that anybody else on the Lakers except for Pau can put up numbers like Shaq.

Was that a joke?

hotdogbun
03-31-2009, 01:10 AM
how did u know that kg allowed pierce and duncan allowed parker to be the main man? what if parker and pierce just simply outplayed kg and duncan

G-Funk
03-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Teams always take advantage of their mismatches that's why Shaq won MVP's KObe went up against tougher guards. Shaq went up against scrubs.

Pierce was the best mismatch against Lakers.
Parker was the best mismatch they had.
Wade did too it's just the way it goes.

EHL
03-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Teams always take advantage of their mismatches that's why Shaq won MVP's KObe went up against tougher guards. Shaq went up against scrubs.

Pierce was the best mismatch against Lakers.
Parker was the best mismatch they had.
Wade did too it's just the way it goes.

Ray Allen actually was the biggest mismatch.

GspLAL
03-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Three years ago he might not have. But right now, no question. Kobe's maturity is one of the main reasons the Lakers have risen back into the elite...not just Gasol being added.

People forget the Lakers were already a great team last year before they got Gasol, and Kobe carried them. Gasos acquisition just pushed themfurther into a legit contender.

Or the fact that the NBA was not getting enough ratings so they gave Lakers and Celtics free players to meet in the finals and get ratings up again.

VinceGully
03-31-2009, 02:01 AM

no.

sp1derm00
03-31-2009, 02:22 AM
I didn't read through the whole barrage of responses, but i did glance over them and I don't think anyone mentioned Team USA this past summer.

Kobe absolutely tried to let Wade and Lebron handle the offense while he took care of the defense. HE was basically playing the KG role, and he did it well up until the last game when Lebron and Wade were semi-stopped. Kobe stepped in and handled it, so yea, he did take over on the biggest stage in the Olympics, but honestly, had Wade and Lebron been able to take care of the offense, Kobe would have been fine sitting back and playing defense for the Gold.

hotdogbun
03-31-2009, 03:17 AM
how did u know that kg allowed pierce and duncan allowed parker to be the main man? what if parker and pierce just simply outplayed kg and duncan

answer this please

abe_froman
03-31-2009, 03:36 AM

good question,the answer is i dont know.i know he's desperate to win one on his own and less selfish,more willing to let the team play to.but i dont know if he's at that point your talking about yet

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 04:30 AM
Kobe doesn't need to take a back seat to Gasol, he's the best player on the Lakers team. Gasol is going to have ample opportunities to get his touches and succeed, but our title hopes don't rest on his shoulders, they rest on Kobe's shoulders. There is a big difference between being the no. 1 guy and the no. 2 guy, Pau is not expected to lead LA to a title, Kobe is. In crunch time, I would much rather have the best player, that being Kobe, taking over games and not deferring to Gasol. Also, Kobe is a smart basketball player, he knows if Pau has a mismatch and or is having a "big" game to keep going to him..... Kobe is all about winning a title this year, but make no mistake about it, if the Lakers win the title it will be mostly because of his clutch play in ball games.

cormacraig
03-31-2009, 05:50 AM
It's a tough call, on a gut feeling I say no.

op12
03-31-2009, 10:59 AM
Ray Allen actually was the biggest mismatch.

is that a shot at kobes D? you seem pretty set on this. they both had a great series, either could have been mvp. pierce was simply the leader and clutch throughtout the playoffs

op12
03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
You are talking like it needs to be one guy scores 40 and other guy scores 8 a game.

thats not it.

you can fairly be certain that you can win a finals with Kobe Scoring 21 or 22 ppg and Gasol scoring 23- 24 a game.

Plus there is a reason why its a good idea to pass teh ball to a big man inside in the finals.

Just go Check fg% rankings and see how many Biggies are in the top 20 and how many sguards.

Except for Jordan who was an Alien no one won rings without a scoring presence inside.

no one said 40 and 8. even your fellow laker fans say kobe has to be the #1to win. he is the clear #1 and you talk about jordan but everyone is trying to compare kobe to him, so he sould be the one to lead a team to a title. it helps to have a good big man, but as the #2. besides shaq and duncan, many times it is a pg or wing player who takes over the series. this decade wade, pierce, parker, and billups were all mvps with a solid big man as the #2. it was never 40 and 8, but a clear difference in #1 and #2. if you punch it into gasol too much it will be just like last year. kobe has to be the man.

sp1derm00
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
is that a shot at kobes D? you seem pretty set on this. they both had a great series, either could have been mvp. pierce was simply the leader and clutch throughtout the playoffs

Kobe rarely defended Ray Allen. He defended Rondo and Pierce more than Allen.

JJ81
03-31-2009, 01:06 PM
It's not like it's up to him who wins it though?:eyebrow:

Hellcrooner
03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Kobe doesn't need to take a back seat to Gasol, he's the best player on the Lakers team. Gasol is going to have ample opportunities to get his touches and succeed, but our title hopes don't rest on his shoulders, they rest on Kobe's shoulders. There is a big difference between being the no. 1 guy and the no. 2 guy, Pau is not expected to lead LA to a title, Kobe is. In crunch time, I would much rather have the best player, that being Kobe, taking over games and not deferring to Gasol. Also, Kobe is a smart basketball player, he knows if Pau has a mismatch and or is having a "big" game to keep going to him..... Kobe is all about winning a title this year, but make no mistake about it, if the Lakers win the title it will be mostly because of his clutch play in ball games.

Oh yeah very smart , i dont know how many times ive lookd at stat sheet at half time this year and seen gasol with like 18 points in 9 of 10 shooting and think well he is going for 35+ today.

Then you see the final stat sheet and its 22 points on 11 from 14 go check and kobe tok 6 of each 10 shots in the second half and ends with 25 points and a 10 from 35 shots stat sheet.

DrDEADalready
03-31-2009, 02:57 PM
No absolutly not. Kobe is a selfish player. always has been always will.

ARMIN12NBA
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM

Fisher guarded Allen throughout the series so probably not...unless that guy is an idiot and has no idea who guarded who in the Finals.

ARMIN12NBA
03-31-2009, 03:30 PM
No absolutly not. Kobe is a selfish player. always has been always will.

This entire post is a complete and utter lie...considering the fact that Bryant has already done what this thread is asking him to do. How old are you and when did you start watching the NBA?

fresh prince
03-31-2009, 07:17 PM

Where do people get this idea from? The triangle offense is predicated on ball and player movement and does not allow one player to monopolize the ball... even Kobe. Kobe puts up great numbers without having the ball in his hands 90 % of the time like the other Superstars- Wade, Lebron , CP3 etc.

Only in the 4th QTR usually will Phil abandon the triangle and put the ball solely in Kobe hands to run high screen and roll with Pau Gasol.. Other than that Kobe is mostly a rotating piece in the offense

Stop making assumptions and watch the games. By your logic Kobe Should try to avg under 20 ppg!
As many have pointed out if you pull up the box for those 15 games you'll see that 11 of those were blowouts and in the other 4 games Kobe averaged almost double digit assists.

Come on man!

Lakersfan2483
03-31-2009, 07:46 PM
Where do people get this idea from? The triangle offense is predicated on ball and player movement and does not allow one player to monopolize the ball... even Kobe. Kobe puts up great numbers without having the ball in his hands 90 % of the time like the other Superstars- Wade, Lebron , CP3 etc.

Only in the 4th QTR usually will Phil abandon the triangle and put the ball solely in Kobe hands to run high screen and roll with Pau Gasol.. Other than that Kobe is mostly a rotating piece in the offense

Stop making assumptions and watch the games. By your logic Kobe Should try to avg under 20 ppg!
As many have pointed out if you pull up the box for those 15 games you'll see that 11 of those were blowouts and in the other 4 games Kobe averaged almost double digit assists.

Come on man!

:clap: A lot of these posters don't watch enough games and or don't understand how the triangle offense works. Good post.

Ironman5219
03-31-2009, 08:26 PM
I say no way, Kobe lives for the spot light

lorenz00
03-31-2009, 08:28 PM
kobe doesn't care about the mvp final or w/e he just care about winning it all... the ring!

king4day
03-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Of course he will. He wants a ring, not to put up numbers in a finals

mrmike101
04-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Ben Wallace will be there buddy and with clevelands homecourt advantage....... I think you can see where i am going with this :smoking: