PDA

View Full Version : Tigers trade for outfielder Anderson

Lionsforlife
03-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Here is the link to the story I found on MLIVE.

Tigers trade for Anderson (http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2009/03/tigers_obtain_atlanta_outfield.html)

I hate giving up pitching prospects, but I don't know alot about Darrow. I think Anderson will provide speed which we really don't have alot of. I think it's a shame that Larish didn't make the club, but he will probably be the first called up when an injury takes place (if it's a corner position-either outfield or infield).

We needed a backup centerfielder and Anderson should be better than Clete. We shall see. Now we need to move Thames, in my opinion. Larish has a lot more value than he does and is more deserving than Thames who is a one trick pony. We shall see.

mmp22mmp
03-30-2009, 05:11 PM
I like this trade it gives us some speed off the bench...maybe he can start some games in left and guillen can move back to 3rd if inge can't hit over .220

anderson's line last year

40 games
136 AB's
3 HR
10 SB
.294 AVG
8:33 BB:K

mark1125
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I like it. he has a decent bat and can run. Best of all, he is under 30. Someone is getting dealt. I hope it is Thames, but will probably be Raburn.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 06:12 PM
srry guys i think the Braves got the best of this one. This guy has speed but the prob is he doesnt have ANY power.

mark1125
03-30-2009, 06:16 PM
srry guys i think the Braves got the best of this one. This guy has speed but the prob is he doesnt have ANY power.

We need speed in a bad way. In our ballpark, it is inexcuseable that we (other than Granderson) have anyone who can run. We have boppers. We may have given up a little much. Hard to tell right now, but I think Anderson will be of more use to us than he was to the Braves.

Bondomania
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
yeah.. have you seen our lineup lol.. thats all we have is power.. so it addresses something we badly need. You guys got a guy that became expendable because he was falling in the ranks of our relief pitching with the emergence of Fien, Perry, Simons, Satterwhite and others.. He would have had a hard time making it into our bullpen with the quality BP arms we will have this year and in the following years. Really, all we need is a guy that has occassional pop.. and our ballpark really favors lefties.. because it is a shorter distance out to right field than to left field.

It isn't a bad idea to move Guillen back to 3rd if Inge struggles at the plate.. it would really give us a ton of speed in left and center.. and also might provide us with an additional leadoff hitter that way Curtis can move down in the order..

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 07:51 PM
I like your line up and you will score enough runs to win but your bullpen sucks so why would you trade a pitcher for another bat?

Lionpride87
03-30-2009, 08:28 PM
It's not like the pitcher we traded was gonna make the club so it helps us win now

Bondomania
03-30-2009, 10:08 PM
exactly.. we traded a pitcher that was probably the 3rd or 4th guy that was going to get called upon if the current cast fails and Casey Fien, Ryan Perry, or Zack Simons failed.. trust me.. he was what he was.. a prospect. He was a highly touted prospect prior to this offseason.. but several relief prospects have moved past him. Also, our minor league system is STACKED! with relief prospects like Weinhardt, Satterwhite, Jacobson, Sborz and Marte.. most of whom will be contributing next year.. Trust me.. We dealt from a position of strength in our minor system.. and really you guys got our 5th or 6th best relief prospect.. congrats.. big win for you guys.. meanwhile we got a guy that will contribute this year and gives us badly needed speed.. which in turn will help us manufacture more runs..

Tragedy
03-31-2009, 12:28 AM
More depth..Not a bad trade for the Tigers.

GoBraves
03-31-2009, 02:30 AM
This is a good trade for both teams. As a Braves fan, I like Josh Anderson alot. guy can fly and can hit. OBP is a little problem, he needs to learn to walk. But your line up is full of power, so he should help in the speed department alot. Off the bench to pinch run, late in the game, he's lethal. He also mastered the art of putting a punt down. Trust me the guy can fly!! I hope this works out for you, I have always liked the Tigers. Varlender dominated us last week, he looked great again!! I really hope he's back to 07 form. I hope the pitcher you guys gave us, turns to another Jair Jurrgens for us:D. I bet that would make you guys mad:mad:

scottie
03-31-2009, 08:20 AM
we need another OF like we need another DH... We should be focusing on our relief pitching, instead we get an outfielder..wtf

Bondomania
03-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Darrow will not be another Jair Jurrjens.. he is specifically a middle relief guy.. maybe he becomes a setup guy at best.. he will not be a starter

dddtfan
03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
There is a little context that also needs to be given here...

We got somebody who fills important needs in the speed and defense department. We do after all project Guillen and Magglio (ie. old and slow) in the outfield. Here is a guy that can come into the game in the late innings and help the bullpen get those last few outs of the game as opposed to having either Guillen or Thames lumbering around out there having routine flyouts dropping in front of them.

We got somebody who can come in in the 8th and pinch run for Miggy in a crucial situation and maybe steal a base instead of having Miggy be the front end of a fielder's choice out at third base with less than 2 outs.

We got a baseball player with some skillsets that most of our roster sorely lacks and will be used.

We got lineup versatility. As somebody mentioned, if Inge struggles and Anderson should excel, we, quite possibly, could have a legitimate leadoff hitter that could, in turn, but Granderson in the 3 hole right in front of Maggs and Miggs....this season, or maybe, after Sheffie leaves next winter and Guillen moves to DH, Anderson could evolve into the leadoff guy then.

All of these thing usable in the right here and now, and potentially there is upside for the future.

What did we give up....

A late round draft pick, and albeit with upside, late round draft picks do not often translate into somebody who occupies a spot on the MLB roster.

This particular late round draft pick, albeit with upside, was about 5th or 6th in line in terms of being a legitimate bullpen prospect. The farm is flush with them right now...Dolsi, Satterwhite, Figaro just to name a few...not to mention Perry (although he might make the big club right now). By the time Darrow would have gotten his turn here, he'd likely have been 30 years old. We'll have had many drafts opportunities by then to replenish this one slot in the farm system.

...and one last thing, this one late round draft pick, albeit with upside, that we traded, and although seems to be recovered, is not very far removed from TJ surgery. If we had to give up a young pitcher that we weren't going to use any time in the forseeable future on the MLB club anyway, to acquire somebody who were were going to use right now and fill needs that have been consistent with the entire agenda of this offseason (defense), I think this particular pitcher was the right one to choose....and I do wish him success in his endeavors, but we did something good for our ballclub.

Lionsforlife
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
With the reported release of Sheffield, I'm liking this move even more. I'm thinking he is our starting center fielder before mid-season with Grandy in LF and Guillen as DH.

Bondomania
03-31-2009, 12:57 PM
I am kind of curious to see what kind of power number Granderson could put up not being in the leadoff spot. If he gets bumped down, then he will be green lighted more to swing for the fences, instead of just trying to get on base.. Plus if Anderson gets on base.. look out.. he could hypothetically steal second and third before Polanco even puts the ball in play

mark1125
03-31-2009, 02:06 PM
I am kind of curious to see what kind of power number Granderson could put up not being in the leadoff spot. If he gets bumped down, then he will be green lighted more to swing for the fences, instead of just trying to get on base.. Plus if Anderson gets on base.. look out.. he could hypothetically steal second and third before Polanco even puts the ball in play

With the purging of Sheffield, I hope that translates into AB's for Anderson. Put Guillen at DH where he belongs and put Anderson in the leadoff spot. I know he needs work on his ability to take a walk, but I hear he can run well and bunt for hits. That is a trait extremely absent from our current lineup.

Yes, We Deliver
04-01-2009, 09:48 AM
I truly believe Grandy can be a 100 RBI guy if they hit him 3rd behind Polanco. You know Polanco is going to be on base every game.

Jon93405
04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
It's a good trade for both teams. Anderson is out of options and wasn't going to make the team.

The Tigers ensured they got him instead of hoping he'd make it to them through waivers.
The Braves added a young arm to the farm system.

Win/Win