PDA

View Full Version : Josh Anderson to Tigers

Thibs34
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Looks like a good deal for a guy that is out of options. I didn't know if we would get anything.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Tigers Acquire Josh Anderson
By Tim Dierkes [March 30 at 1:37pm CST]
According to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Tigers acquired outfielder Josh Anderson from the Braves for minor league pitcher Rudy Darrow.

Darrow, 24, is a former college wrestler who is listed at 5'10", 180 lbs. The Tommy John survivor uses a sidearm delivery to touch 94, and Baseball America suggests he could pitch in the Majors this year. As such, it seems odd that the Tigers would trade him.

The speedy Anderson was unable to win the Braves' center field job, which presumably goes to Jordan Schafer now.

Stats link http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=32100

Darrow, 25, was 5-3 with a 2.02 ERA in 47 relief appearances last season in Class A and Class AA. He held right-handed hitters to a .168 average. The hard-throwing right-hander had 57 strikeouts with 23 walks in 63 1/3 innings. 3/30/09 -Dob

I like the deal, we got a arm. I was hoping FW would make that happen.

ATLKoos16
03-30-2009, 03:06 PM
I like this trade, FW got a good arm, and this hopefully means Schaefer is in center. Good luck to Anderson though

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 03:12 PM
GREAT deal for a guy that we were going to release or try and get through waivers. AMAZING that the Tigers would give him up. Jordan Schafer will be out CF.

Zorak
03-30-2009, 03:22 PM
GREAT deal for a guy that we were going to release or try and get through waivers. AMAZING that the Tigers would give him up. Jordan Schafer will be out CF.

Exactly, I don't know why they want him anyway they already got a pretty good outfield. Its probably just for depth.

Coach100
03-30-2009, 04:07 PM
That and their OF is pretty old. Ordonez and Guillen are far from young. Thames is a decent back-up, but a different player than Anderson. Sheffiled could play in the OF as well, but he is even older. Anderson is at least young depth.

I like the Braves adding bullpen arms. They have plenty of SP depth and with additions like this and guys like Marek hanging around, they are starting to get some good pen depth. I think that makes for competition (even during the year) and gives the organization good depth so if an unjury occurs, they can look inward before exploring trades.

njbravefan
03-30-2009, 04:30 PM
[QUOTE=Coach100;8888516]That and their OF is pretty old. Ordonez and Guillen are far from young. Thames is a decent back-up, but a different player than Anderson. Sheffiled could play in the OF as well, but he is even older. Anderson is at least young depth.

That, and none of the Tigers backup outfield candidates could handle CF. And Josh also provides speed off the bench. Good luck to him

Coach100
03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Thames can play all the OF positions I believe. Maybe not real well, but I think he can play all of them.

RandyRocks77
03-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I might be the only one here... But I would have liked to see what Anderson could have done in a full time role with the Braves... though I love Jordan liked to see what he could have done in AAA as well

mark1125
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
He has 3 things the Tiger OF need. Youth, speed, and a LH bat.

Sounds like a win-win for all involved.

MrJones
03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Wow, just read about this one and I'm shocked at what they gave us for Anderson !!! FW really pulled off a great one w/ this trade. The guy has a ground-ball-to-fly-ball ratio of 4.8 (ridiculous !!!) and has only given up one 4 bagger in 62.1 innings and has a plus fastball. Maybe he and Peter M. could cause some havoc as our future setup guys IF this kid can live up to potential.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 05:57 PM
He has 3 things the Tiger OF need. Youth, speed, and a LH bat.

Sounds like a win-win for all involved.

The debate over if Anderson is servicable at CF is a non debate. Its the fact the Braves only other option was to try to get him through waivers. Where the Tigers could of had him for next to nothing. But rather actually traded a body in exchange.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
HAHA i love trading to the Tigers

Smoltz
Jair
Gorky
and now this guy

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 06:09 PM
This guy looks like he could be a set up man

Slash
03-30-2009, 07:04 PM
The debate over if Anderson is servicable at CF is a non debate. Its the fact the Braves only other option was to try to get him through waivers. Where the Tigers could of had him for next to nothing. But rather actually traded a body in exchange.

"Could have" is a world of difference from "have."

Most everyone is talking about Anderson like he was a warm body who had pictures of the GM with a goat.

Anderson is a very capable center fielder with speed who can start in the majors. I wouldn't expect him to fall past 6 teams on waivers without someone claiming him.

As good as this guy Darrows is, there have been a ton of "hard throwing groundball pitchers" who were selling real estate after a few years in the minors. I hope he turns out to be a gem because we gave up a good player in Anderson.

CrippledRam
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
From John Sickels:
11) Rudy Darrow, RHP, Grade C+: Extreme ground ball tendency along with decent strikeout rate, looks like a nice middle reliever.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
^^^
Does the 11 mean he is the Tigers 11th best prospect or something.

mark1125
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
^^^
Does the 11 mean he is the Tigers 11th best prospect or something.

Yes.

whitesoxfan83
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Damn the Tigers are dumb, keep taking their players though its really been helping us out...

Jacob10
03-30-2009, 08:42 PM

Most everyone is talking about Anderson like he was a warm body who had pictures of the GM with a goat.

Anderson is a very capable center fielder with speed who can start in the majors. I wouldn't expect him to fall past 6 teams on waivers without someone claiming him.

As good as this guy Darrows is, there have been a ton of "hard throwing groundball pitchers" who were selling real estate after a few years in the minors. I hope he turns out to be a gem because we gave up a good player in Anderson.

First of all, there is certainly debate about whether Anderson can be considered a "good player". His only attribute is speed.

When looking at our farm system:

Schafer
Heyward
Gorkys

And remembering that we already have Francoeur on the big league club, and a solid guy like Blanco -- it all adds up to the fact that there was no reason to waste space on a guy like Anderson, who can only steal bases. And when you look at his pitiful on base percentage, his utility falls further.

He can be useful as a backup for thin outfields. But Schafer outplayed him, and Blanco is a better backup option because he has speed AND can actually get on base. We clearly had no room for Anderson, it only makes sense that we try to get something for him.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Can Gorky play right?

BRAVE KID
03-30-2009, 08:59 PM
Can Gorky play right?gorky is like schafer he can play all outfield positions.

CrippledRam
03-30-2009, 09:09 PM
A Gorkys (LF), Schafer (CF), Heyward (RF) outfield would likely be the best defensive OF the NL has seen in a while.

mark1125
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Damn the Tigers are dumb, keep taking their players though its really been helping us out...

You could have probably used him since Wise is your everyday CF. :rolleyes:

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 09:25 PM
I really hope Frenchy does good. I really want too keep him but he better do better fast.

BRAVE KID
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
First of all, there is certainly debate about whether Anderson can be considered a "good player". His only attribute is speed.

When looking at our farm system:

Schafer
Heyward
Gorkys

And remembering that we already have Francoeur on the big league club, and a solid guy like Blanco -- it all adds up to the fact that there was no reason to waste space on a guy like Anderson, who can only steal bases. And when you look at his pitiful on base percentage, his utility falls further.

He can be useful as a backup for thin outfields. But Schafer outplayed him, and Blanco is a better backup option because he has speed AND can actually get on base. We clearly had no room for Anderson, it only makes sense that we try to get something for him.you could also say he already had the edge before spring training even started and when schafer had to sit out for 10 days, perfect opportunity for anderson to take hold and he couldn't take it. I think we can all agree that if Anderson and Schafer were both head to head in production it would be anderson's all day, but he never did Schafer owned him in everything even his own game.

mark1125
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I really hope Frenchy does good. I really want too keep him but he better do better fast.

I think he will be fine. He won't be an all-star, but a steady .275-.280 with 20/90 shouldn't be unreasonable to expect.

howiend
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I really like anderson as a 4th outfielder. If Garret anderson was a righty I would rather have josh anderson on the bench than matt diaz.

howiend
03-30-2009, 09:37 PM
A Gorkys (LF), Schafer (CF), Heyward (RF) outfield would likely be the best defensive OF the NL has seen in a while.

Won't it be fun when this is our outfield? I want SPEED at the top of the lineup.

BRAVE KID
03-30-2009, 09:42 PM
my dream outfield, schafer is ready, heyward, believe it or not, is not far beyond, we just need gorky to get his act straight and get that dominant lead-off capability and we will have quite a formiddable outfield for many years to come.

Brawler47
03-30-2009, 11:13 PM
my dream outfield, schafer is ready, heyward, believe it or not, is not far beyond, we just need gorky to get his act straight and get that dominant lead-off capability and we will have quite a formiddable outfield for many years to come.

How long is it gonna take? He needs to get it and quick so we can start winning some pennants.

Slash
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
He can be useful as a backup for thin outfields. But Schafer outplayed him, and Blanco is a better backup option because he has speed AND can actually get on base. We clearly had no room for Anderson, it only makes sense that we try to get something for him.

I agree that Schafer outplayed him and Wren did the right move by trading Anderson.

I'm just commenting generally on how much people are bad-mouthing Anderson and specifically on the post that the Tigers could have had Anderson for nothing by claiming him off waivers.

Anderson is a good player. Not an all-star. Not an everyday starter. But a good player that can spot start and I am sure at least 10 of the teams would find a spot.

BRAVE KID
03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
How long is it gonna take? He needs to get it and quick so we can start winning some pennants.Don't know, depends on how well he plays and if he can stay healthy. If I had to guess maybe 2/3 years until he is ready, with heyward it could be as quick as next year (if we don't resign franky) but I'd give him 2 more years.

bravesrule
03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
how about freeman, heyward, and schafer in the OF

BRAVE KID
03-31-2009, 12:24 AM
how about freeman, heyward, and schafer in the OFno way freeman is playing the OF, 1B is freeman's spot. But that does get me thinking about the lineup

gorky
schafer (not saying he'll hit 2nd but in this case I'll put him here)
heyward
freeman

awesome:drool:

Slash
03-31-2009, 12:51 AM
no way freeman is playing the OF, 1B is freeman's spot. But that does get me thinking about the lineup

gorky
schafer (not saying he'll hit 2nd but in this case I'll put him here)
heyward
freeman

awesome:drool:

I'd find a place for Chipper. :)

BRAVE KID
03-31-2009, 01:01 AM
I'd find a place for Chipper. :)double awesome:drool::drool:

Joe Smoe
03-31-2009, 02:39 AM

First off, my post never said anything about a GM or anything about a goat, and however you came up with that thought semi-bothers me :confused:

My point was the same one you your self made... he would have to pass by 6 teams on waivers in order to remain a brave. The odds of that happening were none. But that also brings the point of question, if the Braves are not going to play Anderson and everyone knows that.. then why offer a useful peice (in this case there 11th best prospect) for something that could possibly have been obtained for free by simply waiting for him to be placed on waivers.

Further, I never said Anderson was not capable. I actually said the opposite if you actually read my post. I actually casted my vote on past polls for him to be the starting CF.

So I am not sure what you have against me Sash... you can bash my post all you like, but atleast read my post and not change my wording to fit some other point that you wish to make.

hawksd911
03-31-2009, 07:20 AM
double awesome:drool::drool:

And McCann will still be there.

Slash
03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
First off, my post never said anything about a GM or anything about a goat, and however you came up with that thought semi-bothers me :confused:

Then I wasn't talking about you.

then why offer a useful peice (in this case there 11th best prospect) for something that could possibly have been obtained for free by simply waiting for him to be placed on waivers.

To make sure they got him. Hard throwing pitchers are a dime a dozen especially at AA ball. Open enough cereal boxes and you'll find one at the bottom. Now, Darrows may pan out to be a major leaguer. Odds are he won't.

Think of it this way. We just traded a serviceable center fielder who can start right now for somewhere around the 300th ranked prospect. Yeah, I know that is a guess, but his ranking can't be that far off.

There is a reason why nurseries sell more plants than seeds.

So I am not sure what you have against me Sash... you can bash my post all you like, but atleast read my post and not change my wording to fit some other point that you wish to make.

I wasn't bashing your post. I disagreed with your point that the Tigers probably could have gotten Anderson by claiming him.

I then commented about the general consensus about Anderson. I even prefaced it with "Most everyone..."

Lighten up.

CrippledRam
03-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Likely '11 Lineup:

Schafer
Yunel
Heyward
McCann
Chipper
Freeman
KJ
Whoever is in RF

Maybe Chipper up to #2 and Yunel low?

ccspence8
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
what can you expect from Schafer? I might pick him up in my fantasy league.

eaglesalltheway
04-01-2009, 04:23 PM
thank gosh

Jon93405
04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
what can you expect from Schafer? I might pick him up in my fantasy league.

They're saying he could be a Grady Sizemore type player. If he lives up to his potential, he'll do everything for you. He's worth picking up if you have a bench spot.

rtgthree
04-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Anderson is a very capable center fielder with speed who can start in the majors.

Not for a team that has any designs on winning. As a fifth outfielder, his legs make him worth carrying. Outside of that role, only a non-contender would be playing a guy like Anderson on a regular basis.

Darrow hasn't allowed a homer in 104 major-league innings, and his GB/FB ratio is an unheard-of 4.8 in his career. That's a whole new definition of worm killer. I'm not saying middle relief prospects aren't dime-a-dozen, but the Braves definitely got something for nothing here. Great move for Frank Wren.

Jon93405
04-01-2009, 11:41 PM
The Tigers needed some speed and defense... they got it.

We got a younger player who has a chance to be a very good reliever. It's kind of like the Pena/Cordier trade... we get a young arm for a guy we couldn't use.

Slash
04-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Not for a team that has any designs on winning. As a fifth outfielder, his legs make him worth carrying. Outside of that role, only a non-contender would be playing a guy like Anderson on a regular basis.

Sure. That's why I said "Anderson is a good player. Not an all-star. Not an everyday starter. But a good player that can spot start and I am sure at least 10 of the teams would find a spot."

but the Braves definitely got something for nothing here. Great move for Frank Wren.

Again, sure. It is tough to get a good trade when the other team knows you have to move someone. My main point was, as you mentioned, "nothing." Anderson isn't "nothing."

Jon93405
04-02-2009, 01:15 AM
I think we're all arguing the same point a little.

Slash isn't saying this is a bad deal for us, he was just defending the Tigers sending us their 11th ranked prospect. The Tigers wanted him and were willing to send us a young arm with upside to make sure they got him instead of another team.

No one has actually said, "Man, what a bad deal." Slash was just making points as to why the Tigers needed to give up a decent player for someone we weren't going to keep.

jmtapia
04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
^^^yep stuff like this happens all the time... seems like FW understands the trade market very well...

rtgthree
04-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Again, sure. It is tough to get a good trade when the other team knows you have to move someone. My main point was, as you mentioned, "nothing." Anderson isn't "nothing."

He isn't "nothing" in an absolute sense, but to the Braves, his value was literally zero (if not negative).