PDA

View Full Version : Off The Wall Rules / And the Effect They'd Have

SuperDayv
03-30-2009, 04:41 AM
I find the idea of one new rule (such as the three point line) affecting every aspect of the game, with new strategies and rules emerging as a result, very interesting.

Lets come up with completely off the wall and divergent rules, and then brainstorm how they'd affect the game. Whether it be new strategies, other new rules that would have to be made, different types of skills/players that would emerge etc.

I'll get the ball rolling: any shots made from beyond the half-court line, before the final two minutes, being worth six points.

I figure it would seriously spread the floor, and teams would have to play full court defense all the time. How else would it affect things?

hotdogbun
03-30-2009, 07:17 AM
stupid idea

EX-TREME
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
wtf

Durant is hype
03-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I find the idea of one new rule (such as the three point line) affecting every aspect of the game, with new strategies and rules emerging as a result, very interesting.

Lets come up with completely off the wall and divergent rules, and then brainstorm how they'd affect the game. Whether it be new strategies, other new rules that would have to be made, different types of skills/players that would emerge etc.

I'll get the ball rolling: any shots made from beyond the half-court line, before the final two minutes, being worth six points.

I figure it would seriously spread the floor, and teams would have to play full court defense all the time. How else would it affect things?

That's really not a smart idea.

Edit: Just think about that for a few minutes.(Not trying to put you down)

SuperDayv
03-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm pretty disappointed at the close minded view you guys have. It's obviously not a good idea, but I think it's interesting to consider how it would affect the game. But maybe that kind of brain storming was too much to ask for on an online forum.

And if that rule in particular doesn't work for consideration try and think of some other ones. It's just interesting how the addition of one rule can affect every aspect of the game; with unrelated emergent properties developing.

Wilson
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
If I'm playing defense, I don't really mind my guy taking a shot from beyond the half court line.

What if they made some sort of rule to re-emphasize the mid-range game? Guys like Rip Hamilton would become much more valued...

VivaLaShark
03-30-2009, 12:00 PM
It just seems like a waste of perfectly good seconds, minutes and in your case hours to sit here and make up rules that don't and won't exist and then discuss how their fake existence will affect the NBA game.

sp1derm00
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Kevin Love would average 50ppg on 30% shooting or something if halfcourt shots were worth 6 points.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Why don't we also expand the league to add the Harlem Globetrotters

SuperDayv
03-30-2009, 12:18 PM
It just seems like a waste of perfectly good seconds, minutes and in your case hours to sit here and make up rules that don't and won't exist and then discuss how their fake existence will affect the NBA game.

Funny, I'd say that about a lot of the things that go on here, but this I would find interesting. Oh well I guess people have different interests.

SuperDayv
03-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Do you think teams would take half court shots? I guess it would also limit fast breaks.

Jayg1712
03-30-2009, 12:27 PM
If I'm playing defense, I don't really mind my guy taking a shot from beyond the half court line.

What if they made some sort of rule to re-emphasize the mid-range game? Guys like Rip Hamilton would become much more valued...

Rip Hamilton is so underrated.

Wilson
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Do you think teams would take half court shots? I guess it would also limit fast breaks.

I think it would be too low percentage. I prefer my idea of re-emphasizing the mid-range game, since that would encourage more high percentage shots...

Wilson
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Rip Hamilton is so underrated.

I agree. He's one of my favourite players in the league.