PDA

View Full Version : Hanson Closing?

jbake_11
03-29-2009, 10:00 PM
I feel we should bring hanson up as our closer, with all the new starting pitching we got this offseason, and Hudson waiting to come back, I think it would be best

Thibs34
03-29-2009, 10:06 PM
not a chance.

jbake_11
03-29-2009, 10:14 PM
reason being...?

Thibs34
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
You don't waste a guy with the stuff he has as a closer. He's a legit #1 that can give you over 200IP and 200k's. If you move him to the pen you decrease his value and you don't get the workhorse numbers he carries. It just wouldn't make sense.

A_Brave_Pack
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
My guessing would be that the Braves will place Hanson in Gwinnett in order to stretch his arm out, and allow him to be a dominant 'ACE' in the next 2 years or so. They can keep him in AAA, allow him to get regular work and confidence and bring him up in 2010 to be an awesome front of the rotation starter.

By placing him as the closer just based on his electric stuff, you may be retarding his growth as a professional ball player. I'd rather have 30G and 200INN each year from Hanson rather than 65G and 70INN, regardless of how good he could potentially be in the closer role.

Plus, for the current roster, the closer position is actually a position of relative strength with Mike Gonzalez, Peter Moylan, Rafael Soriano, and Blaine Boyer on the current roster with some games serving in the closer role.

It is easier to find a journeyman relief pitcher in FA or on the WW and catch lightning in a bottle with him as a closer than it is to find a pitcher with the caliber to be an ace.

Jacob10
03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Dear God no.

He's the best pitching prospect we've had in decades. We don't want him to lose endurance or "acclimate" to one inning gigs, we want him to stay a dominant starter. It would be better for him to face AAA opponents as a starter than to face MLB opponents as a closer.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Doesnt make this sense because it looks like we will need him as a starter later this season....The only way i can see this happening is if all five of our starters are healthy for a long time and we dont have another closing option around. If Glavine could stay pain free for about 2 months maybe the Braves are confident he could stay healthy.

I think theres about a 20% chance they make him there everyday closer.

Thibs34
03-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Doesnt make this sense because it looks like we will need him as a starter later this season....The only way i can see this happening is if all five of our starters are healthy for a long time and we dont have another closing option around. If Glavine could stay pain free for about 2 months maybe the Braves are confident he could stay healthy.

I think theres about a 20% chance they make him there everyday closer.

I'd say theres about a 1% chance.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 11:36 PM
^^^ fair enough...

Thibs34
03-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I just feel that the Braves would have to be absolutely desperate for them to turn to Hanson as the closer. Why would they they take that risk when there are many other options you could explore before him. With Gonzo, Soriano, Moylan, and Boyer, Hanson would be our fifth option. In a scenario that we were put in that position of going with the fifth option, I would say our season would be looking pretty grim at that point anyway, so why would we take the risk at that point either. With all the hype and anticipation the Braves have shown on Hanson being our future #1, I would be very surprised if they didn't take every step necessary to make sure that happens. Just thought I'd explain myself a little better.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I just feel that the Braves would have to be absolutely desperate for them to turn to Hanson as the closer. Why would they they take that risk when there are many other options you could explore before him. With Gonzo, Soriano, Moylan, and Boyer, Hanson would be our fifth option. In a scenario that we were put in that position of going with the fifth option, I would say our season would be looking pretty grim at that point anyway, so why would we take the risk at that point either. With all the hype and anticipation the Braves have shown on Hanson being our future #1, I would be very surprised if they didn't take every step necessary to make sure that happens. Just thought I'd explain myself a little better.

Exactly what i think.

JakeDelbreezy
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
An Ace starter can carry a team (i.e. CC for the Brewers), a closer cannot. We need to let him get as comfortable starting as we possibly can..

DaSox_05
03-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Question for you Braves fans I drafted Tommy Hanson yesterday in a fantasy league he is making the team if so is he starting or closing? Thanks.

GLASSMAN
03-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Question for you Braves fans I drafted Tommy Hanson yesterday in a fantasy league he is making the team if so is he starting or closing? Thanks.

Latest word is that he will start 4/9 against your Charlotte affiliate. My tickets are behind home plate.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Hanson is not making the team. He is already in the minor leagues at AAA Gwinnett (about 20 minutes north east of Atlanta). He is being prepped to become a starter, and all his training and accomplishments thus far have pointed to a bright career as such. This thread of him being a closer this year is just fantasy(sorry to the thread writer).

It is rumoured that Hanson would be the first call up in case of a starter becoming injured. However JoJo reyes could also get the nod in that situation.

DaSox_05
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks guys appreciate it.

brazilianblur
03-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I know this is weird and what not but I'm actually kind of upset with all the starters we got in the offseason. With Hudson, Lowe, Jurrjens, Kawakami, Vasquez, JoJo, Hanson and Campillo, we have almost to much depth. I really did not like JoJo at all last season and was hoping he got traded, but he proved me wrong all spring and he look really good. I would've loved to see what he could do this year with his improved mind set. But he is blocked, same for Hanson. Maybe not upset but when will these kids get to play? I hope they don't get blocked for too long, we will be solid for years to come. Back to the thread though, no way does hanson close, not after the numbers he's been putting up.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I know this is weird and what not but I'm actually kind of upset with all the starters we got in the offseason. With Hudson, Lowe, Jurrjens, Kawakami, Vasquez, JoJo, Hanson and Campillo, we have almost to much depth. I really did not like JoJo at all last season and was hoping he got traded, but he proved me wrong all spring and he look really good. I would've loved to see what he could do this year with his improved mind set. But he is blocked, same for Hanson. Maybe not upset but when will these kids get to play? I hope they don't get blocked for too long, we will be solid for years to come. Back to the thread though, no way does hanson close, not after the numbers he's been putting up.

To much pitching depth? I am not sure that is possible.. unless the high end of that depth is not good. But fact is that someone always gets hurt, last year 4 out of 5 starters went down and early. To have the proper arms to plug up the holes is a awesome thing. I hope nobody gets hurt, but if someone does need a rest.. we have Jo Jo and Hanson less then 20 minutes away in Gwinnett and hungry for there shots. Trust me.. this isnt a thing to be upset about.

Things be diffrent this offseason, I would have gone for Dunn over Glavine and Garrett however. I guess the budget is what it is.

jmtapia
03-30-2009, 09:32 PM
^^^^Tend to agree with you. ITs hard to imagine that a team could have too much pitching...

howiend
03-30-2009, 09:57 PM
I'd say theres about a 1% chance.

I agree with the 1% MAX! Hanson is way too valuable as a starter. I hope he and Reyes pitch well so Reyes gets called up first and does well at ML level. Hanson can then be added to the rotation next season. Reyes replaces Glavine and Hanson replaces Vasquez.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 10:12 PM
The only way he is closing if he hurts his arm and he only can pitch 3 innings Max.

hawksd911
03-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Latest word is that he will start 4/9 against your Charlotte affiliate. My tickets are behind home plate.

Sweet im going to the Home Opener i think i have tickets down 1st base line.:cool:

baseballislife7
03-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Just say no to closing.

brazilianblur
03-31-2009, 08:56 PM
I understand that pitching depth is an ?extreme luxury but i just think that with the 2 young guys we have in the system, the glavine signing was redundant. But then again who would've known that Jojo would be improved.. Dont get me wrong, i love our depth and am glad we have it, all im saying is i wish that Jojo and Hanson could've pitched this year. just a fantasy:)

cardinals 2006
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I think that if the only way that the Braves could get Hanson in the bigs, I would put him in the closer role if they can make it to the playoff's. Look at what my Cardinals did with Adam Wainwright they put him in the bullipen and he was a big reason that they won the 06 WS..If they put him in the bullipen he can get some time in the Majors and get the work in that he needs and after this year he can go into the starting rotation..

Jon93405
04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Tommy Hanson will be in the rotation by the end of the season. If he's not, that means all of our starters stayed healthy all season and performed well.

Depth is good... remember last season?

hawksd911
04-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I think that if the only way that the Braves could get Hanson in the bigs, I would put him in the closer role if they can make it to the playoff's. Look at what my Cardinals did with Adam Wainwright they put him in the bullipen and he was a big reason that they won the 06 WS..If they put him in the bullipen he can get some time in the Majors and get the work in that he needs and after this year he can go into the starting rotation..

We could do that ONLY during the playoffs or when the season ends for Gwinnet.

WillBravesNY
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah and lets put chipper as the setup man. Cmon man we cant ruin our best pitching prospect.

uncblue2332
04-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah and lets put chipper as the setup man. Cmon man we cant ruin our best pitching prospect.

Thats just dumb, ignorant, and uncalled for....i can see where he is coming from with the way the Yanks brought up Joba but IMO Hanson wont do that

THE_FLASH_21
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Nope...But i get what he's trying to say.... Didn't the Cards bring up AW as their closer??

jbake_11
04-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I was thinking almost in the same way red sox did with paplebon, but i understand everys ones stance. thanks

rtgthree
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I was thinking almost in the same way red sox did with paplebon, but i understand everys ones stance. thanks

Two differences between Hanson and Papelbon:

1) Papelbon is really a fastball/slider guy, better suited to shorter stints. Hanson has four plus pitches, making him more likely to stick in a rotation.

2) There were pretty substantial health concerns with Papelbon as a starter; the Red Sox tried to protect him by having him relieve, and he sort of stayed there by popular demand, since he'd been so good and the Sox didn't have as much of a need in the rotation.