PDA

View Full Version : Which Rising Stars are fading?

blackjack_119
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Every year there are a few young players who have put together a couple impressive seasons which leads to many people calling them "future perennial all-stars" yet for some reason, they don't take the next step and always remain good NBA starters... but never great.

Who did you think to start this year would take the next step, but seemingly hasn't... and now you think won't?

What young players did you label a bust and now you think may turn out to be good or even great?

blackjack_119
03-29-2009, 07:18 PM
"Perennial All-Stars" who won't get there:
C: Andris Biedrins - He looked ready to take the next step, but now I think GSW's system is more responsible for his numbers than he is.
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge - I thought he would make a big leap this season, but now I think he will always be an 18/8 type guy. Good... just not great.
SF: Rudy Gay - I thought for sure he would become a perennial All-star, now it looks like Durant and Melo will edge him out every year.
SG: Nick Young - I thought he was going to have a HUGE break out year. Now he looks more like a solid 6th man.
PG: Jose Calderon - He is actually putting up impressive stats, but I thought that with no TJ Ford, he would become the best PG in the East. Now I wouldn't put him in the top 5.

"Busts" who are making me believe:
C: Andrea Bargnani - I thought he was going to be a bust from the start. For two years, I was right. Now, he looks like a solid starter.
PF: Tyrus Thomas - Again, I never thought he would reach his potential but he has had some pretty impressive games. Again, he won't be an all-star, but is no longer a bust.
SF: Trevor Ariza - Wow has he turned it around.
SG: No one really comes to mind.
PG: Mike Conley Jr.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Brian Cardinal is making these guys fade like a clogged toilet, because he is THE JANITOR!

Kakaroach
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
^^Someone does not like Brain Cardinal. I pretty much agree with your list except Mike Conley. I feel he still hasn't proved himself.

carter15
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Brian Cardinal is making these guys fade like a clogged toilet, because he is THE JANITOR!

that guy torched the nets today for lik 5 points and 3 assists off the bench :mad:

edit: holy **** he had 7-5-2

and btw very nice list...i always think about it...but never rly put it together lik this...good to c it..clears things up in my mind.

superkegger
03-29-2009, 08:27 PM
The first name that came to mind was Rudy Gay.

mcnasty54
03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
luol deng

BALLER71
03-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Luol Deng...

SeoulBeatz
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
luol deng

Kakaroach
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Lol oh yeah I forgot about Luol Deng. Every time he seems to rise to that level, he gets injured or something...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-29-2009, 08:43 PM
^^Someone does not like Brain Cardinal. I pretty much agree with your list except Mike Conley. I feel he still hasn't proved himself.
I love Cardinal..He is one of the true elites of the game.

that guy torched the nets today for lik 5 points and 3 assists off the bench :mad:

edit: holy **** he had 7-5-2

and btw very nice list...i always think about it...but never rly put it together lik this...good to c it..clears things up in my mind.

Yeah he also pitched 9 innings today, and ran a marathon. So you are lucky the janitor wasn't in his usual hallway.

DerekRE_3
03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Rudy Gay and Luol Deng come to mind. Some people had Al Thornton being a great player, but I'm not sure how much better he is going to get.

D-Leethal
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Rashard Lewis, good player but will never reach the status needed to live up to his contract

VCaintdead17
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Yeah Luol Deng is a good example.

Also Tyrus Thomas

Duncan = Donkey
03-29-2009, 08:53 PM
tyrus thomas never had an impressive season though

DerekRE_3
03-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of Monta Ellis. Because of his scooter accident he may never get that same explosiveness back.

Jacob K.
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
randy foye

Steely McBeam
03-29-2009, 09:36 PM
as a raps fan i was always skeptical of bargnani and i was really pissed because that was the first year of forced 1 year of college player so we missed out on greg oden but as of right now id take my boy any day of the week...has the skills to score any time he wants...28 today

Durant is hype
03-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Luol Deng + half of the Bulls squad.

Sportfan
03-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Luol Deng is a great choice forgot about him so is Ben Gordon

flyguy
03-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Sebastian Telfair, Luol Deng, and Randy Foye

NYMetros
03-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Can't believe I didn't think of Monta Ellis. Because of his scooter accident he may never get that same explosiveness back.

Good choice. He just hasn't been the same since that happened. He used to be so explosive and electric before. Now, while he is still athletic, he just doesn't have those same up's that he previously had. It is pretty sad to see, actually.

JordanPippen
03-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Luol Deng + half of the Bulls squad.

unfortunately... i agree

IversonIsKrazy
03-29-2009, 11:11 PM
luol deng

Ethix11
03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Al Thorton and Thaddeus Young i believe wont be anything more than good starters.

IndyRealist
03-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Luol Deng - what happened to him, exactly?
Rudy Gay - not even the best player on his own team, anymore
Emeka Okafor - Good, but not where everyone thought he would be
TJ Ford - turns out he's one dimensional on offense, and one dimensional on defense
Erick Dampier - He's getting paid HOW MUCH in Dallas?
Baron Davis - This time two years ago, weren't people listing him as a top 5 PG?
Daniel Gibson - One really good playoff run raised expectations WAY too high.

Victims of circumstance:

Al Jefferson: As long as Shaq's in the league, Al has no chance at all-star reserve behind Yao.

Kevin Martin: When you're on the Kings, there's not much you can do.

Dirk Nowtizki: Suffers from some seriously bad management.

Gerald Wallace: The East is loaded at his positions. Either he's behind Garnett and Bosh at PF, or Lebron, Pierce, and Granger at SF.

Antwan Jamison/Caron Butler: When you're Agent Zero's teammate, you live and die by his rehab schedule.

Michael Redd: Just when they surround him with complementary talent, he goes down for the season.

Monta Ellis: Injuries suck.

abe_froman
03-30-2009, 12:15 AM
unfortunately... i agree

same:(

SeoulBeatz
03-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Al Thorton and Thaddeus Young i believe wont be anything more than good starters.

Thaddeus Young is the go to guy on the sixers right now and he's only 20.

Past 12 games his points and rebound totals are:

20 5
29 5
31 5
17 6
14 7
23 5
23 6
22 6
25 7
29 3
21 4
22 8

do those look like the numbers of a SF whose MAX POTENTIAL is merely a good starter?

this is no fluke, thad is legit and will be an all star along with iguodala in the near future.

maverick1155
03-30-2009, 02:33 AM
rudy gay

Blindmolerat
03-30-2009, 03:24 AM
Greg Oden may be one to consider on this list, but it is probably too early in his career to say that.

Big Quett
03-30-2009, 04:14 AM

20 5
29 5
31 5
17 6
14 7
23 5
23 6
22 6
25 7
29 3
21 4
22 8

do those look like the numbers of a SF whose MAX POTENTIAL is merely a good starter?

this is no fluke, thad is legit and will be an all star along with iguodala in the near future.

Being from Memphis i loved Thadd. His high school played mines every year. So i seen him upclose. But i dont think he will ever live up to his potential in Philly. The problem is he and Andre play the same position in SF. And if Elton wasn't hurt Thadd would be on the bench.

And you being a Philly fan knows Andre cant shoot well enough to be a 2 guard. And while those numbers you put up look good scoring wise.That is only a average of 5.5 rebounds per game while playing the 4.

Shaolin
03-30-2009, 07:46 AM

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 07:53 AM
Not sure a rising star, but a rising player. Jordan Farmar, whenever I watch the Lakers he only chucks up threes, and on defense nothing. He is still young enough to turn it around though.

koreancabbage
03-30-2009, 08:56 AM

20 5
29 5
31 5
17 6
14 7
23 5
23 6
22 6
25 7
29 3
21 4
22 8

no, the names of some of the best SF in the East include Lebron James, Danny Granger, Pierce, and Caron Butler.

Thad Young and Iguodala will have to wait at least 5-10 years or injuries to make it to the all-star game, more of a wait for Thad Young.

EX-TREME
03-30-2009, 09:15 AM
rudy gay was a good one

Durant is hype
03-30-2009, 09:44 AM
unfortunately... i agree

Back in 07 when they swept the Heat,many people really thought they were on the verge of contending for a championship.

The summer of 07 is really what I think was the start of the downfall of the 08 Bulls squad. Things like the Kobe rumors,contract distractions with Luol Deng and Ben Gordon is really what I think made them underachieve.

In the summer of 08,they drafted Derrick Rose who I think is really going to become of the top stars in the 2010 decade.Now they are currently on the 7th spot and are going to get a taste of the playoffs which can be really helpful for the young players.Who knows maybe it will motivate Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah to play consistently and to the levels that they are capable of playing ,especially Tyrus Thomas.

I really think bulls can go far,but it all depends on the play of the 2 big men in Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah.

These past two years for the bulls have been like a seesaw,but at least they got Derrick Rose out of it.

king4day
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
^^^ Bobcats are 2 back of the Bulls with 1 game left against Chicago (both have the same conference record but it won't matter since the 'Cats have already won the season series). So not in the playoffs just yet.
They are also in the 8th spot (1 game back of #7 Detroit).

On topic: Amare and Bosh could be in this category too but we'll likely know for sure after next year. Especially since it's a contract year for both.

what54!?
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
rudy gay. I didn't see any improvement from last year. But he's still young and can improve

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 01:28 PM
i hope he does he is one of my favorite players

Kyben36
03-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Luol is definitly the #1 example, at least the others are still young, under Rok contracts, except Biedrins and Calderon, but they are still good, Luol just got a huge contract and doesnt even look like he can produce, His stats definitly dont depict the true picture, He is a non factor in the 4th, most games this year he has only scored in single figures, Now, he is out with an injury, and at one point, people said he could develop into a Danny granger type player.

Spurred1
03-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Luol Deng - what happened to him, exactly?
Rudy Gay - not even the best player on his own team, anymore
Emeka Okafor - Good, but not where everyone thought he would be
TJ Ford - turns out he's one dimensional on offense, and one dimensional on defense
Erick Dampier - He's getting paid HOW MUCH in Dallas? He's getting paid an obscene amount for what he doesn't do. But was he ever considered a rising star? Avery said he'd make a player out of him...still waiting for that to happen. He has really good games and then others where he may as well be dead on the floor.
Baron Davis - This time two years ago, weren't people listing him as a top 5 PG?
Daniel Gibson - One really good playoff run raised expectations WAY too high.

Victims of circumstance:

Al Jefferson: As long as Shaq's in the league, Al has no chance at all-star reserve behind Yao.
Shaq will eventually retire and Jefferson will get his chance.

Kevin Martin: When you're on the Kings, there's not much you can do.

Dirk Nowtizki: Suffers from some seriously bad management.

Gerald Wallace: The East is loaded at his positions. Either he's behind Garnett and Bosh at PF, or Lebron, Pierce, and Granger at SF.

Antwan Jamison/Caron Butler: When you're Agent Zero's teammate, you live and die by his rehab schedule.

Michael Redd: Just when they surround him with complementary talent, he goes down for the season.

Monta Ellis: Injuries suck.
Bad decision making sucks. Don't ride anymore mopeds.