PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin the next NBA superstar??

EddieB
03-29-2009, 03:35 PM
This guy looks physically stronger than Karl Malone @ PF, got a nice low post game, is an athletic freak who got some hops. He will go number 1 in the NBA draft fo sure

GiantYankKnicks
03-29-2009, 03:37 PM
Him and if he Declares Rubio are the only prospects in this years draft u can say have Superstar Potential.I think hes a better prospect then Beasley was last year

phlp_bj
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
i dont see rubio being a superstar. has a chance but he's just too raw now. i only see griffin and if thabeet leaves as major forces in the league. some other solid players will be derozan, tyreke evans, and maybe james harden

EX-TREME
03-29-2009, 03:41 PM
i think he will be a nice player but superstar. i don't know

GiantYankKnicks
03-29-2009, 03:45 PM
i dont see rubio being a superstar. has a chance but he's just too raw now. i only see griffin and if thabeet leaves as major forces in the league. some other solid players will be derozan, tyreke evans, and maybe james harden

Well idk his shot has actually improved alot over the past year.I just think Rubio will be a superstar,His skills as a PG are insane for a kid his age.Thabeet has no offenseive game at all i think he will never be anything more then a solid starter

phlp_bj
griffin will be a carlos boozer type of player. so borderline star

abe_froman
whats up with all the college threads today??

as for blake being a superstar,i dont see it

phlp_bj
03-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Well idk his shot has actually improved alot over the past year.I just think Rubio will be a superstar.Thabeet has no offenseive game at all i think he will never be anything more then a solid starter

some team will need to be patient with rubio until he learns. i feel that thabeet can be a dwight howard type of force if he bulks up and gets proper coaching.

GiantYankKnicks
03-29-2009, 03:47 PM
some team will need to be patient with rubio until he learns. i feel that thabeet can be a dwight howard type of force if he bulks up and gets proper coaching.

Yea i agree on Rubio,With Thabeet a team is gonna have to get him an Amazing Big Man coach and be really patient for him to live up to being a Top 5 pick

BH-Sports
03-29-2009, 03:48 PM
he is a superstar. i never seen a PF who moved like that other than Lebron. He has major hops and he is like "Joe Alexander" but with basketball skills

jehovah joe
03-29-2009, 03:55 PM
blake griffin > michael beasley
blake griffin > carlos boozer
tim duncan > blake griffin

blake griffin = superstar

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Griffin is dominating a weak NCAA. He will be a good NBA player I think, but not a superstar if I had to guess now. The NCAA is so watered down because all the talent leaves early, so it is dependant on great freshman classes, which isn't happening this year. Let's see what his real height and wingspan are in the pre draft camp. I think the Boozer comparison is a pretty good one at this point

hotpotato1092
03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
To me Blake Griffin seems like a cross between Carlos Boozer and Shawn Marion, Boozer's strength and low post game with Marion's freakish athleticism and versatility.

Kakaroach
03-29-2009, 04:02 PM
To me Blake Griffin seems like a cross between Carlos Boozer and Shawn Marion, Boozer's strength and low post game with Marion's freakish athleticism and versatility. x2 I like that comparison. I don't know about superstar, but he is most def. the best player in this draft.

DamnGoat
03-29-2009, 04:09 PM
He'll be undersized (at about 6'7) and he needs some kind of mid-range game. His game right now is all about dunks and overpowering other players. That's not gonna work too well in the NBA unless he develops a jumper. He's athletic enough that he should still be pretty good, but he'll get shut down by good defenders until he develops that outside shot.

Korman12
03-29-2009, 04:45 PM
He'll be undersized (at about 6'7)

Where did you pull that number from? He's 6'9-6'10.

abe_froman
03-29-2009, 04:48 PM

just like beasley's 6'10:rolleyes:

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Just like Love and Beasley were both 6'10", right? Lets see what he measures out at. I would guess at 6'8", or slightly under without shoes.

NYMetros
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
My guess also would be 6'8''. Usually what they are listed as in college is much taller than what they actually are.

As far as this thread, I think he will be a good player in the NBA. I don't think he'll be great, but good. I honestly don't see a huge difference between him and Tyler Hansbrough though. They seem pretty similar to me.

Sportfan
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
i think blake has the chance to become a superstar, also am I the only one that thinks James Harden is going to be a great player in this league?

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 05:16 PM
i think blake has the chance to become a superstar, also am I the only one that thinks James Harden is going to be a great player in this league?

Harden may be really good. He will have to work on his body, but he has a knack for scoring.

DamnGoat
03-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Sure he is...

That's what he's listed at, but just look at the guy and it's not hard to realize he's closer to 6'7 than 6'9. With shoes he might be 6'8, maybe.

hotpotato1092
03-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I think Harden's gonna be like Michael Redd, great scorer and would be a perfect sidekick to a guy like LeBron, but odds are he ends up scorings 25 on a crappy team.

Korman12
03-29-2009, 05:50 PM
So because Love and Beasley were a little exaggerated every collegiate player's size is less than listed?

I'm just saying because those two were built up to be a little larger doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

abe_froman
03-29-2009, 05:54 PM
So because Love and Beasley were a little exaggerated every collegiate player's size is less than listed?

I'm just saying because those two were built up to be a little larger doesn't mean it's the same for everyone else.

ok whats more likely,college players as a whole(i can keep citing examples)are listed taller than they are,or all college players but him are

theuuord
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
blake griffin > michael beasley

fail.

GoatMilk
03-29-2009, 06:04 PM
he cant shoot, has no post moves at all.
all he does is over power the opposition
he is a good rebounder, but he has no other bigs on his team.
he's not really 6'10, more like 6'7-6'8.
but he is athletic, i'll give him that

I compare him to Kenyon Martin. Number 1 pick basically by default. he'll be good, but no superstar. not number 1 pick worthy

cali72888
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
He'll be undersized (at about 6'7) and he needs some kind of mid-range game. His game right now is all about dunks and overpowering other players. That's not gonna work too well in the NBA unless he develops a jumper. He's athletic enough that he should still be pretty good, but he'll get shut down by good defenders until he develops that outside shot.

What are you talking about, Griffin has a beautiful fade away jumper, probably one of the best I have seen out of all the NCAA. and he knows how to get open to use the jumper effectively, he already has a very developed mid range jump shot, it will be deadly in the NBA.

blackjack_119
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Blake Griffin will never be an all-star. Looking at him in comparison to other players in the tournament, he is 6'7-6'8 in shoes (6'6"-6'7" w/o) he has good handling for college but poor handling for the NBA. He relies exclusively on athleticism. That won't cut it in the NBA where PF's are 2-4" taller and nearly as physical. He will be a solid starter... never a star.

Projection: Tyrus Thomas (Worse Defense)

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 06:21 PM

no, I would estimate that 90% of all college players are listed taller than they are. Guards typically an inch or two, big men up to 3-4 inches. Same thing in high school. But, the NBA predraft is the height they stay listed at. Dwight Howard was measured at 6'9" w/o shoes, but being 18, still grew another inch, inch and a half. Wingspan can sometimes be just as important, Elton Brand is an example there

Chateamsfan
03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Blake Griffin will be great, but who would win 1 on1? Emeka Okafor or Blake Griffin?

phlp_bj
03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Blake Griffin will be great, but who would win 1 on1? Emeka Okafor or Blake Griffin?

griffin has offensive skills okafor is better defensively.

Korman12
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm fine with the NBA pre-draft height being the most legitimate source of measurement, but it seems apparent that people are assuming that will be the case. And the closer we get towards the draft the shorter and shorter people seem to be assuming he is. Look, he's not 6'6, to whomever said that, that's a pretty ridiculous assumption.

But as a case of curiousity, who else was mis-measured before they came into the NBA?

_KB24_
03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Its funny how every season we over hype every college player as the next "superstar". This guy will not be effective in the NBA. He doesnt have great length and his strength will mean **** in the NBA. I really want to see what he'll be able to do againts the Dwights, the Jeffersons, Boozers, Wallaces, and the Chandlers. He'll be a solid player at the very most and I dont think his post game will be effective in the NBA. He will most likely be no more than a Tyrus Thomas and I'd still rather have Thomas.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm fine with the NBA pre-draft height being the most legitimate source of measurement, but it seems apparent that people are assuming that will be the case. And the closer we get towards the draft the shorter and shorter people seem to be assuming he is. Look, he's not 6'6, to whomever said that, that's a pretty ridiculous assumption.

But as a case of curiousity, who else was mis-measured before they came into the NBA?

Here are last years top 10 picks, listed college height vs real height

Rose- 6'3", really 6'1.5"
Beasley- 6'10", really 6'7"
Mayo- 6'4", really 6'3.25"
Westbrook- 6'3", really 6'2.25"
Love- 6'10", really 6'7.75"
Gallinari- 6'10", no pre draft measurment
Gordon- 6'3", really 6'2"
Alexander- 6'8", really 6'7.25"
Augustine- 6', really 5'10"
Lopez-7', really 6'11"

Should I continue? That is 100% of the players drafted in the top 10.

Canada26
03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
He's 6'10 250 and is an athletic freak. After watching him for a lot of this year, I don't see a sinle reason why he won't be a force in the NBA. He's got a nice little shot, is strong inside, takes it to the rim, is physical, rebounds better than pretty much everyone in the NCAA. The guy is a superstar in the waiting.

xSolidx
03-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Im a big fan of Griffin

If he is indeed 6'10 or close to it, I believe he can be a really good player. Just needs the proper coaching to develop more offensive moves

I kind of hope he goes to the Thunder, thats of course if the Knicks dont hit the lottery and pick #1.

theuuord
03-29-2009, 07:22 PM

Lopez-7', really 6'11"

source.

DamnGoat
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
What are you talking about, Griffin has a beautiful fade away jumper, probably one of the best I have seen out of all the NCAA. and he knows how to get open to use the jumper effectively, he already has a very developed mid range jump shot, it will be deadly in the NBA.
I've seen him take a FEW jumpers, but not many.

This mid-range game you're talking about with him just doesn't exist. He's gonna have to develop it to be a stud at the next level or he'll just be an undersized guy that gets by on his athleticism and shut down by good defenders.

Hawkeye15
He's 6'10 250 and is an athletic freak. After watching him for a lot of this year, I don't see a sinle reason why he won't be a force in the NBA. He's got a nice little shot, is strong inside, takes it to the rim, is physical, rebounds better than pretty much everyone in the NCAA. The guy is a superstar in the waiting.

he is not 6'10". If he does measure out there in the camp, or even at 6'9", I will buy into him being a very good player. But the NCAA is weak this year, he is simply a man among boys. He was outplayed by many of the freshman that came out last year. Love, Mayo, Gordon, Rose, and Beasley all had far superior seasons

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
I think he is right up there with Brian Cardinal the JANITOR!

SO he should have a legit career in the NBA.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
source.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2008&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

you have to pull them up off espn or anywhere else to get college heights, the NBA lists them at what they came out in college listed as on the roster, not predraft unfortunately. So, Love is listed at 6'10" for instance on nba.com, but the draftexpress has the real heights of all players

theuuord
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2008&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

you have to pull them up off espn or anywhere else to get college heights, the NBA lists them at what they came out in college listed as on the roster, not predraft unfortunately. So, Love is listed at 6'10" for instance on nba.com, but the draftexpress has the real heights of all players

"* players marked with an * have an unofficial measurement that look reasonable."

"non-official measurements should be viewed as such."

almost every single measurement has a * next to it. this isn't credible either.

besides, measuring height is overrated.

blackjack_119
03-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Rule of thumb is that you are 1.25" taller in shoes. I said he is 6'7"-6'8" (6'6"-6'7" without shoes) which isn't ridiculous. For someone who is 6'10", he was noticeably shorter than Rick Jackson for Syracuse (listed at 6'9"). It is also suspect that Griffin claims to have grown 4"-5" since he came to Oklahoma.

blackjack_119
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
"* players marked with an * have an unofficial measurement that look reasonable."

No one in 2008 has an asterisk; Only Yi and Glen Davis Have an Asterisk in 2007; and only Bargnani has a (+) in 2006. What are talking about "almost everyone has a * next to it"?

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 07:48 PM

those are official heights. Only those who did not attend the camp, ie, foreigners, were not measured. It is a credible source, sorry. check that website out during the draft month. They are the best. And height isn't everything, but when you think you are getting a 6'10" PF, and he is 6'7", that is a monster difference dude. Wingspan plays a role. but height does matter.

GodsSon
03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
He sort of reminds me of Tyrus Thomas, but i think he'll be better then most people on here are giving credit.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 07:54 PM
There are a lot of people giving him credit here. Carlos Boozer was listed at 6'9" at Duke. He is really 6'7.75". But he has almost a 7'3" wingspan. That is why many are calling Griffin a similar player. He is a better athlete than Boozer, but not as long. And predicting someone has a 16-10 career isn't exactly calling him a chump

theuuord
03-29-2009, 08:11 PM
No one in 2008 has an asterisk; Only Yi and Glen Davis Have an Asterisk in 2007; and only Bargnani has a (+) in 2006. What are talking about "almost everyone has a * next to it"?

Ohhh, looking it over again it's clear my screen resolution isn't up to par. I was mixing up the " sign with an asterisk. after increasing the text size it became clearer. mea culpa.

theuuord
03-29-2009, 08:16 PM
But that being said:

but when you think you are getting a 6'10" PF, and he is 6'7", that is a monster difference dude.

At the NBA level, not as much as you'd think. Of course across the board in a general sense, bigger guys are going to get more rebounds and do the "big man" stuff, but if a guy can play at an NBA level, he can play regardless.

Put it this way. Michael Beasley led the NCAA in rebounding in his only year, regardless of what people thought his height was. He got more rebounds than any other player by a wide margin, and it doesn't matter if he was listed at 6'10" or 6'7".

Kevin Love, a guy who people are saying is 6'8", is currently a rebounding machine over taller guys night in and night out. Rodman's height number fluctuates from 6'9" to 6'5" depending on who you ask. Barkley was 6'4" and could barely palm a basketball. At the end of the day, a guy who's a monster player is a monster player - period.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
But that being said:

At the NBA level, not as much as you'd think. Of course across the board in a general sense, bigger guys are going to get more rebounds and do the "big man" stuff, but if a guy can play at an NBA level, he can play regardless.

Put it this way. Michael Beasley led the NCAA in rebounding in his only year, regardless of what people thought his height was. He got more rebounds than any other player by a wide margin, and it doesn't matter if he was listed at 6'10" or 6'7".

Kevin Love, a guy who people are saying is 6'8", is currently a rebounding machine over taller guys night in and night out. Rodman's height number fluctuates from 6'9" to 6'5" depending on who you ask. Barkley was 6'4" and could barely palm a basketball. At the end of the day, a guy who's a monster player is a monster player - period.

You are talking about freak exceptions. Bigger is better. And college is different. 6'7" is plenty big. Barkley was the definition of an animal. Kevin Love has a higher basketball IQ than 99% of the NBA. There is a difference between 6'7", and 6'10", when Bynum, Shaq, Yao, Howard, or KG is in you're way. NBA players are the ultimate basketball players with size and speed. Being short limits you. Sure, there are exceptions. But it is still a reality

Catfish1314
03-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Rule of thumb is that you are 1.25" taller in shoes. I said he is 6'7"-6'8" (6'6"-6'7" without shoes) which isn't ridiculous. For someone who is 6'10", he was noticeably shorter than Rick Jackson for Syracuse (listed at 6'9"). It is also suspect that Griffin claims to have grown 4"-5" since he came to Oklahoma.

Well you do play basketball in shoes. And he looked nearly equal height to Arinze Onuaku of Syracuse (also listed at 6'9) to me.

GoatMilk
03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
He sort of reminds me of Tyrus Thomas, but i think he'll be better then most people on here are giving credit.

Tyrus is intersting, I think Kenyon Martin is more fair though

BullsNumber1Fan
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM

Lopez-7', really 6'11"

What are you talking about? Here was Rose's, Gordon's, and Mayo's :

Rose- 6'4", really 6'3"
Gordon- 6'4", really 6'3"
Mayo- 6'5", really 6'4.25"

And does .75" really matter? NO!

hgtiger32
03-29-2009, 10:44 PM
just imagine if he were to go to a team like the grizzlies...very scary....

PG: Mike Conley Jr.- asuming he pans out
SG: O.J. Mayo
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Marc Gasol

BullsNumber1Fan
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
just imagine if he were to go to a team like the grizzlies...very scary....

PG: Mike Conley Jr.- asuming he pans out
SG: O.J. Mayo
SF: Rudy Gay
PF: Blake Griffin
C: Marc Gasol

Or imagine if he were to go to a team like the Thunder:

PG: Russell Westbrook
SG: Thabo Sefolosha
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Jeff Green
C: Blake Griffin (If he is really 6'10" - 6'11", he can play C because he is strong enough and athletic enough)

Rique
03-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Tyreke Evans actually has the most superstar potential. Look how easily he glides to the basket that is a sign of success in the NBA. Not falling in love with your jumpshot.

blujaysrock
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM

every site I have been looking at have him at 6'10

deflep1691
03-30-2009, 10:08 AM
ok, im impartial on Griffin, hes a good athlete and probably will be a slightly above average NBA starter. As for the height debate, griffin is most likely 6'7 or 6'8.... ALL players exagerate their height... Look at Charles Barkley back in the day, he said he was 6'9 or 6'10.....how tall did he end up, 6'3 or 6'4... and guess what he was still dominant.... so who cares.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 10:42 AM
What are you talking about? Here was Rose's, Gordon's, and Mayo's :

Rose- 6'4", really 6'3"
Gordon- 6'4", really 6'3"
Mayo- 6'5", really 6'4.25"

And does .75" really matter? NO!

may want to check that again brother. I am right.

NYYankeesWin#27
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
he a ballhog

what54!?
03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
He could become one but not immediately. Its easier to dunk a lot in college when your just more talented than everyone else but not the pros (ask greg oden). At this point he looks just like tryus thomas to me.

majmarcus
03-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Blake needs a face-up game.Other than that,maybe a star.But i don't know about "Superstar"!

WeaponX2888
03-30-2009, 01:40 PM
The Blake Griffin - Amare Stoudamire comparison is pretty accurate I think...

Caution1011
03-30-2009, 01:42 PM
all you ppl are crazy blake griffin equals beast. the kid is going to be a superstar he will develop a better mid game. the potential is there and i can see him being very dominating. the kid is not weak he has a big physical frame.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 01:43 PM
The Blake Griffin - Amare Stoudamire comparison is pretty accurate I think...

Amare is much taller, but maybe. I don't think he has the ups Amare has

what54!?
03-30-2009, 01:44 PM
all you ppl are crazy blake griffin equals beast. the kid is going to be a superstar he will develop a better mid game. the potential is there and i can see him being very dominating. the kid is not weak he has a big physical frame.Potiential beast. He has the tools but he has to put it together first.

Nighthawk
03-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Griffin COULD be a force if he goes to a good team. However the top picks always goes to a stinker. Magine WIZARDS get em?

E.Thomas/McGee
Jamison
Griffin
Butler
Arenas

Nice squad

sep11ie
03-30-2009, 02:02 PM
I'd have him work on his mid game and switch him to SF.

macc
03-30-2009, 02:45 PM
all you ppl are crazy blake griffin equals beast. the kid is going to be a superstar he will develop a better mid game. the potential is there and i can see him being very dominating. the kid is not weak he has a big physical frame.

X2. Griffin is an athletic beast. One thing that sets him apart from not only being athletic for his size is that he has good ball handling. I've seen him face up other apponents at the 3 pt line and drive right past them. It would be nice to see him develop a jump shot but it is what it is. Maybe over time he will. Either way if you don't think he'll be a stud then you haven't watched the game of basketball for to long. The Amare comparison is close and fair I believe.

Lebron23
03-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I hope he measure out at a legit 6'9" because he looks like 6'7 3/4" - 6'8" without shoes.

He's a good player, but don't expect him to put some Superstar numbers in his rookie season because he's going to adjust his game in the NBA.

He's not going to easily score against the more athletic NBA players, and Griffin also needs to develop a legit low post game.

WeaponX2888
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Amare is much taller, but maybe. I don't think he has the ups Amare has

Both are listed at 6'10"...

Griffin may not have Amare's ups, but they guys got ups

Lebron23
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Amare was measured at 6'8.5" in the 2002 NBA Pre Draft Camp, and he also have a 35.5" Vertical Leap.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2002&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

ahastandupguy
03-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Amare Stoudamire

Steely McBeam
03-30-2009, 03:25 PM
ive seen some recent comparisons to charles barkley, which i think is way off. i really don't think hes in chucks league

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I think there's something people are overlooking here. Being a superstar isn't just about being freakishly athletic and physically gifted and being a certain height. It's also about the intangibles. How much time and effort are you willing to put in to make yourself a better player? How much effort do you give on the court? How competitive are you, and do you have that strong desire to win championships?

Based on what I've seen out of Blake Griffin, he strikes me as a guy that has the potential to become that. He plays very hard and seems to be a fierce competitor. When you factor that in with his outstanding physical skills, I think he has the potential to be a superstar in the NBA.

As far as his height goes, I would guess he's in the 6'8"-6'9" range. Probably not 6'10", but who cares? Elton Brand (6'8") and Charles Barkley (6'4"-6'5") seemed to do ok at the power forward position, and you could make the argument that he's physically stronger than both those guys are/were.

roygconner
03-30-2009, 03:55 PM
He is the next Kenyon Martin... Big time player in college in the NBA he will be a serviceable player but by NO means a SUPERSTAR... This is the EXACT hype that surrounded K-Mart when he came out of school and look at his NBA career... He is a great defender and an average player on the offensive end... Just wait and we will all see that Griffin is K-Mart jr.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 04:11 PM
people saying rubio will have to learn...hes been playing PRo basketball for 3 years now. thats TWO more years Pau ever had when entering the league and just one year less than Rudy, Manu for example.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Both are listed at 6'10"...

Griffin may not have Amare's ups, but they guys got ups

Listed is far different than actual. That has been a common theme all along. Amare is actually 6'9"-6'10". Griffin is not

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Amare was measured at 6'8.5" in the 2002 NBA Pre Draft Camp, and he also have a 35.5" Vertical Leap.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2002&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=

he was also 18, not 20. Amare grew after he came in. Dwight Howard, same thing. He was 6'9" coming in, and is clearly over 6'10" now. Griffin is already filled out, he aint growing anymore

Gibby23
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
people saying rubio will have to learn...hes been playing PRo basketball for 3 years now. thats TWO more years Pau ever had when entering the league and just one year less than Rudy, Manu for example.

What does this have to do with Blake Griffin?

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I think there's something people are overlooking here. Being a superstar isn't just about being freakishly athletic and physically gifted and being a certain height. It's also about the intangibles. How much time and effort are you willing to put in to make yourself a better player? How much effort do you give on the court? How competitive are you, and do you have that strong desire to win championships?

Based on what I've seen out of Blake Griffin, he strikes me as a guy that has the potential to become that. He plays very hard and seems to be a fierce competitor. When you factor that in with his outstanding physical skills, I think he has the potential to be a superstar in the NBA.

As far as his height goes, I would guess he's in the 6'8"-6'9" range. Probably not 6'10", but who cares? Elton Brand (6'8") and Charles Barkley (6'4"-6'5") seemed to do ok at the power forward position, and you could make the argument that he's physically stronger than both those guys are/were.

Brand came in at 6'8.25", but has a 7'5.5" wingspan. That makes up for a lot of inches. Charles Barkley is one of a handful of exceptions on height, plus, he was a BEAST.

Nocioni5
03-30-2009, 05:11 PM

Get over your love of spanish players, Not everthing we talk about has to involve a spanish player! This is definately in the wrong thread!:rolleyes:

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Brand came in at 6'8.25", but has a 7'5.5" wingspan. That makes up for a lot of inches. Charles Barkley is one of a handful of exceptions on height, plus, he was a BEAST.

You just solidified the point I'm trying to make.

The guy plays hard, has a great work ethic and is very competitive. And he has all the physical tools. I don't see any reason why he doesn't have the potential to be a great player. People said Lebron couldn't shoot when he came out, people said Kobe couldn't shoot or defend. People even ripped Derrick Rose last year because he struggled with his free throws. Now the ROY is his to lose and he's a superstar in the making.

People keep bringing up Duncan and Garnett too, and how he would just be so dominated by those guys. Yeah he probably would, like most young players would be against guys like that who've been in the league for 12-15 years, but thats the thing, eventually guys like Duncan and Garnett will soon be taking those steps back as they get older. They'll be a step slower than they used to be, and while that's happening, younger guys like Griffin will be getting better.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Him and if he Declares Rubio are the only prospects in this years draft u can say have Superstar Potential.I think hes a better prospect then Beasley was last year

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 06:25 PM

pi pi pi:eyebrow:

Jonathan2323
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Mike Beasley is way better than Blake Giffin. look at last year Giffin would have been drafted around 10-15.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 06:28 PM

Yea i agree on Rubio,With Thabeet a team is gonna have to get him an Amazing Big Man coach and be really patient for him to live up to being a Top 5 pick
...... :smoking:

Someone needs to learn to read the entire thread before opening their mouths ......

Not the right thread right?

:p

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Mike Beasley is way better than Blake Giffin. look at last year Giffin would have been drafted around 10-15.

Griffin will have a better NBA career. He gives a damn, Beasley does not.

Jonathan2323
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Griffin will have a better NBA career. He gives a damn, Beasley does not.

Beasley would be dominating colllege basketball right now. The HEAT have not given him consistent minutes. Blake Griffin=Tyrus Thomas (thats a bad thing).

Beasley does give a damn.

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Beasley would be dominating colllege basketball right now. The HEAT have not given him consistent minutes. Blake Griffin=Tyrus Thomas (thats a bad thing).

Based on what? Thats a pretty absurd comparison. To even put Thomas in the same conversation as the other two is just foolish man. Thomas never dominated College basketball the way Griffin and Beasley have. Thomas is nothing but length a leaping ability. Seems to me like you're just being a homer. The main drag on Beasley has always been his commitment level. His dedication was a question mark even coming out of K. State and he hasn't shown enough yet to be given 35-40 minutes a night. He'll play more once he shows more willingness to become a better player. Willingness that Griffin already has.

Look obviously you're a Heat fan. Beasley's your guy, so obviously you're gonna be partial to him, but to compare Griffin to Tyrus Thomas is just insulting to people who think.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 08:30 PM
You just solidified the point I'm trying to make.

The guy plays hard, has a great work ethic and is very competitive. And he has all the physical tools. I don't see any reason why he doesn't have the potential to be a great player. People said Lebron couldn't shoot when he came out, people said Kobe couldn't shoot or defend. People even ripped Derrick Rose last year because he struggled with his free throws. Now the ROY is his to lose and he's a superstar in the making.

People keep bringing up Duncan and Garnett too, and how he would just be so dominated by those guys. Yeah he probably would, like most young players would be against guys like that who've been in the league for 12-15 years, but thats the thing, eventually guys like Duncan and Garnett will soon be taking those steps back as they get older. They'll be a step slower than they used to be, and while that's happening, younger guys like Griffin will be getting better.

I am not solidifying you're point. At all. You happened to pick one of the handful, and the best one at that, example of how you can be short and good. Did you see Barkley play at Auburn? He made Griffin look like a girl dude. Charles Barkley is one of the nastiest, toughest, smartest player to ever play. LeBron might have had a weakness of shooting coming out, but no scout in their right mind would not have taken him #1 over anyone that was drafted the past 10 years.
Look, I think he will be a good player, but Michael Beasley, with the same body and a better outside shot, dominated the NCAA last season as an 18 year old, and you can see what the NBA does to the kids coming out now, from a NCAA that is not very strong, because all the talent leaves early, and the college game is dependant on strong freshman classes, which there wasn't one this season. Imagine if this were 1995. Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Lamarcus Aldridge, Acie Law, these players and more would be in the conference. He will come in at 6'7"-8", and doesn't play defense yet. I just don't see star potential. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion. Sorry for the rant

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 08:33 PM

That is what people seem to forget. Beasley was 25/11 last season. Griffin, nowhere in the vicinity of that. Beasley would be a 29/14 player right now. NCAA is down big time this season, he is simply the one guy with talent and size. I don't think there are a lot of guys in college right now that will make an impact in the NBA

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
I am not solidifying you're point. At all. You happened to pick one of the handful, and the best one at that, example of how you can be short and good. Did you see Barkley play at Auburn? He made Griffin look like a girl dude. Charles Barkley is one of the nastiest, toughest, smartest player to ever play. LeBron might have had a weakness of shooting coming out, but no scout in their right mind would not have taken him #1 over anyone that was drafted the past 10 years.
Look, I think he will be a good player, but Michael Beasley, with the same body and a better outside shot, dominated the NCAA last season as an 18 year old, and you can see what the NBA does to the kids coming out now, from a NCAA that is not very strong, because all the talent leaves early, and the college game is dependant on strong freshman classes, which there wasn't one this season. Imagine if this were 1995. Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Lamarcus Aldridge, Acie Law, these players and more would be in the conference. He will come in at 6'7"-8", and doesn't play defense yet. I just don't see star potential. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion. Sorry for the rant

Well I respectfully disagree... no problem.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Well I respectfully disagree... no problem.

maybe you see something I don't. Peace bro.

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:13 PM
That is what people seem to forget. Beasley was 25/11 last season. Griffin, nowhere in the vicinity of that. Beasley would be a 29/14 player right now. NCAA is down big time this season, he is simply the one guy with talent and size. I don't think there are a lot of guys in college right now that will make an impact in the NBA

He probably would. But I still believe Griffin will have a better NBA career. It doesn't necessarily mean Griffin will be a better player. Beasley still hasn't shown the full commitment to being the great player he has the potential to be yet. Thats why he's not starting, and thats why he isn't playing 38 minutes a night. He has to earn it and obviously he hasn't yet. I've seen enough from Griffin to know he's more of a competitive hard working talent thats always looking to get better. It's what everybody has said about him in his two years at Oklahoma. Whereas the knock on Beasley has always been the opposite.

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:15 PM
maybe you see something I don't. Peace bro.

We disagree on it man... it's not even that serious.

zambo4president
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Griffin is kinda on the smaller side. Also Wayne Ellington will make a nice bench player for someone.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
He probably would. But I still believe Griffin will have a better NBA career. It doesn't necessarily mean Griffin will be a better player. Beasley still hasn't shown the full commitment to being the great player he has the potential to be yet. Thats why he's not starting, and thats why he isn't playing 38 minutes a night. He has to earn it and obviously he hasn't yet. I've seen enough from Griffin to know he's more of a competitive hard working talent thats always looking to get better. It's what everybody has said about him in his two years at Oklahoma. Whereas the knock on Beasley has always been the opposite.

I will give you that. On talent alone, Beasley is far superior. But he hasn't exhibited the heart yet. I think that will change personally, because for the first time in his life, he wasn't the best player on the floor this year. But Griffin has limitations, thats all. He isn't much of a shooter. He doesn't seem to have a high basketball IQ. And he doesn't really understand defense. He will have a career in the NBA, I just don't think star is in the works

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:33 PM
I will give you that. On talent alone, Beasley is far superior. But he hasn't exhibited the heart yet. I think that will change personally, because for the first time in his life, he wasn't the best player on the floor this year. But Griffin has limitations, thats all. He isn't much of a shooter. He doesn't seem to have a high basketball IQ. And he doesn't really understand defense. He will have a career in the NBA, I just don't think star is in the works

Honestly, in my mind you just described Beasley to a T, except for the perimeter shooting aspect. He has the potential but hasn't shown the dedication. There are a lot of guys in the NBA with unprecidented skills, but what separates the really good players from the superstars like I said before are the intangables.

Look I'm pretty high on Griffin because I like the tenacity that he plays with. He just seems to give more of a rats *** than a guy like Beasley does. With Beasley that can change, but at the same time, the negetives on Griffin can change as well. Especially if he has the kind of work ethic that people say he does.

what54!?
03-30-2009, 09:45 PM
He probably would. But I still believe Griffin will have a better NBA career. It doesn't necessarily mean Griffin will be a better player. Beasley still hasn't shown the full commitment to being the great player he has the potential to be yet. Thats why he's not starting, and thats why he isn't playing 38 minutes a night. He has to earn it and obviously he hasn't yet. I've seen enough from Griffin to know he's more of a competitive hard working talent thats always looking to get better. It's what everybody has said about him in his two years at Oklahoma. Whereas the knock on Beasley has always been the opposite.Beasley plays bad defense on a defensive minded team. Thats why he doesn't start. yes he could show more intensity but the man works hard and gives a damn. If he was on the grizzles or one of those other weak teams he would be starting and putting great stats up. The same thing is gonna happen to griffin since he plays no defense. Griffin gives a damn yes but he has the same knocks as beasley.

So as of now
Beasley> Griffin

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Beasley plays bad defense on a defensive minded team. Thats why he doesn't start. yes he could show more intensity but the man works hard and gives a damn. If he was on the grizzles or one of those other weak teams he would be starting and putting great stats up. The same thing is gonna happen to griffin since he plays no defense. Griffin gives a damn yes but he has the same knocks as beasley.

So as of now
Beasley> Griffin

And for that very reason, I would rather have Griffin.

what54!?
03-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Fine your entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

the_watcher
03-30-2009, 09:53 PM
This is where threads get old to me. When people (including myself) start to reiterate points they've already made. So I'm movin on. Later folks.

Sports Illustrator
03-30-2009, 09:54 PM
My prediction is that he will most likely be headed into the superstar category. The same could be said about Ricky Rubio but Ricky needs more time to develop.

Another name no one mentioned here is Monroe. I like his game. It will take time for him to develop though and he may not even reach the superstar level but I think the guy will be very good.

NYMetros
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't think Griffin will be a star at all. His lack of effort on defense and inconsistency with his jumper will be his downfall. He really did not play well at all last night IMO despite his numbers. His presence on defense was non-existent and many of his buckets came on blocked shots and air balls that luckily bounced to him. UNC took him out of the game early by simply fronting him, which allowed them to jump on Oklahoma from the start and never look back.

At best, I think Blake will be a 6th man on a playoff team or a starter on a mediocre team.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Comparing him to Karl Malone is an absolute insult to The Mailman. Karl Malone had a very nice jumper and was absolutely unstoppable in the low-post.

Blake Griffin is probably a starter in this league, but not a superstar, If you are going to compare him to make him look better it's Dwight Howard.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Comparing him to Karl Malone is an absolute insult to The Mailman. Karl Malone had a very nice jumper and was absolutely unstoppable in the low-post.

Blake Griffin is probably a starter in this league, but not a superstar, If you are going to compare him to make him look better it's Dwight Howard.

Howard is just as big a slap as Karl. Howard just beat Wilt for youngest to 5000 rebounds. Dwight Howard is, and will be a monster for the next 10 years.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:15 PM
He needs to be the best center right now in order to be one of the greats.

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Griffin is the only one who will be close to anything good in the NBA. He needs a few more inches though to be a Superstar or even All-Star.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 11:26 PM
He needs to be the best center right now in order to be one of the greats.

there is no question Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA though. None. Don't even mention Yao. Dude can't get 10 rpg despite being 7'5". Dwight was the best center last year, is this year, and can you really see anyone being better over the next couple, at least

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:27 PM
there is no question Dwight Howard is the best center in the NBA though. None. Don't even mention Yao. Dude can't get 10 rpg despite being 7'5". Dwight was the best center last year, is this year, and can you really see anyone being better over the next couple, at least
which is why he averages 10 RPG under Per 36 minutes right? And why he averaged 10+ last season? I hope you are an actually hawks fan and not a Rockets one.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 11:35 PM
which is why he averages 10 RPG under Per 36 minutes right? And why he averaged 10+ last season? I hope you are an actually hawks fan and not a Rockets one.

I live in Houston. They are my second favorite team. But if you can actually tell me you wouldn't trade Yao straight up for Howard, even as a die hard Rockets, fan, I have to question you're general knowledge of basketball

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 11:37 PM

Escuse me Mr but Howard is ALL BULK and nothing else, Yao ming is a much better player who has a better shot a better shooting range, better passing skills, better Basket IQ , better feet game, Better positioning...

He is better at EVERYTHING except he is Fragile and gets injuried a lot and has not been trough STEROIDS!!!!.

It will be funny how BAD will Howard be when he is 30 unless he is able to learn to Play as his body starts falling appart.

Relying on a freaky phisics is not a good idea long term.

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Which is why Daryl Morey said Yao Ming is the only untouchable player on the Rockets during the trade deadline. I don't think you realize how big of a money cow Yao is. Rockets wouldn't trade Yao for Howard and the Magic wouldn't trade Howard for Yao. Plain and simple.

Kakaroach
03-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Why do people think Howard is on steroids? I mean he's buff, but a lot of people are lol.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 11:42 PM
Escuse me Mr but Howard is ALL BULK and nothing else, Yao ming is a much better player who has a better shot a better shooting range, better passing skills, better Basket IQ , better feet game, Better positioning...

He is better at EVERYTHING except he is Fragile and gets injuried a lot and has not been trough STEROIDS!!!!.

It will be funny how BAD will Howard be when he is 30 unless he is able to learn to Play as his body starts falling appart.

Relying on a freaky phisics is not a good idea long term.

I love the arguments against physically dominant players. "They have no skills! They can only dunk! He relies on athletic ability!" Remember how many talked about how unskilled Shaq was, when he just dunked on everyone for 29/12/3? I don't care how you just set the NBA record for fastest player to 5000 rebounds. I don't care how you get 72 double doubles in a season. I don't care if the only reason you are a 55% field goal shooter is because you dunk on everyone. Dwight Howard is, in a complete landslide, the best C in the NBA. Yao doesn't get the minutes because he is a 27 year old in a 35 year old's body. His country does not let him rest, he plays 12 months a year, his body is far, far, far more aged than Dwight's. I can't honestly believe anyone would take Yao over Howard.

ATLKoos16
03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
I watched Griffin play almost every game this year. And yes I'm an OU fan. In college he was a man among boys; however, in the pros he is going to have to work his but off which he already does. He and his brother are the two hardest workers on the team and I have no doubt he will be working on his defense and shot over the offseason and will continfue working after going number one and will work his whole career. He wont be a Malone but who is? But he will be a very good player.

Hawkeye15
03-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Which is why Daryl Morey said Yao Ming is the only untouchable player on the Rockets during the trade deadline. I don't think you realize how big of a money cow Yao is. Rockets wouldn't trade Yao for Howard and the Magic wouldn't trade Howard for Yao. Plain and simple.

cangrats. You got the 7'5" Allen Iverson. Rakes in the jersey sales and tickets, not so much on playoff wins. Look, I live in Houston. I really like the Rockets. But in reality, they are a long ways from contending. Orlando is not.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Why do people think Howard is on steroids? I mean he's buff, but a lot of people are lol.

Yeah in a world where strong people looks like this
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/252312-37290-rob-liefeld_super.jpg

:rolleyes:

RealistRocket34
03-30-2009, 11:46 PM
cangrats. You got the 7'5" Allen Iverson. Rakes in the jersey sales and tickets, not so much on playoff wins. Look, I live in Houston. I really like the Rockets. But in reality, they are a long ways from contending. Orlando is not.
I don't care if you live in Houston or not, it doesn't make you any more credible than me or an average fan.

Hellcrooner
03-30-2009, 11:48 PM
I love the arguments against physically dominant players. "They have no skills! They can only dunk! He relies on athletic ability!" Remember how many talked about how unskilled Shaq was, when he just dunked on everyone for 29/12/3? I don't care how you just set the NBA record for fastest player to 5000 rebounds. I don't care how you get 72 double doubles in a season. I don't care if the only reason you are a 55% field goal shooter is because you dunk on everyone. Dwight Howard is, in a complete landslide, the best C in the NBA. Yao doesn't get the minutes because he is a 27 year old in a 35 year old's body. His country does not let him rest, he plays 12 months a year, his body is far, far, far more aged than Dwight's. I can't honestly believe anyone would take Yao over Howard.

Shaq had good hands and a god mid range shot, also his foot game is good and his passing skills and court vision is far decent.

Being a Referees/stern/media darling helps too , if you are not named shaq a strugglin franchise (orlando) and a strugglin league because GOD retired to play basebll maybe some of your Beasty dunks will be called offensivo falls 6 and out..

Big Quett
03-31-2009, 05:08 AM
Shaq had good hands and a good mid range shot, also his foot game is good and his passing skills and court vision is far decent.

Being a Referees/stern/media darling helps too , if you are not named shaq a strugglin franchise (orlando) and a strugglin league because GOD retired to play basebll maybe some of your Beasty dunks will be called offensivo falls 6 and out..

Are you kidding me. Shaq has a good midrange shot? When did all this happen?

KG2TB
03-31-2009, 05:35 AM

I'd take Howard...but it's pretty close. Yao's injury history sets him back a bit. Howard changes the game on both ends which bumps him up, but Yao has more refined skills. All in all, Howard has more of an effect on the game, but not by a lot. Houston really does a poor job getting the ball to Yao too. If they fed him the ball more, his numbers would be even better.

Oh and to answer the question...I think Blake will be a B rate player in the league. He might make 1 or 2 all-star appearances but I don't believe he'll ever be a superstar. I think he'll put up pretty decent numbers in his career but probably won't ever be a guy who can lead his team to a title, which is what I define a superstar as.

Duncan = Donkey
03-31-2009, 05:51 AM
Are you kidding me. Shaq has a good midrange shot? When did all this happen?

lol, i started laughing when i read that

JayW_1023
03-31-2009, 06:39 AM
He has a long way too go...right now he is Drew Gooden with hops.

DitchDat
03-31-2009, 07:00 AM
I think Griffin will be better than Beasley.

TMAC94
03-31-2009, 09:16 AM
ive only seen him play one game, and the guy dominated pre much 16 points 7 rebounds in the first half, he doesnt look the tallest, but looks built. i dont think he will wow so much in his first season, as DamnGoat sed, a guy who is 6'7, who relys on his dunks and overpowering his oppisite player, wont cut it in the nba, going up against a guy like howard, amare who can out muscle him, mid range game is the best thing for him.

Hawkeye15
03-31-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't care if you live in Houston or not, it doesn't make you any more credible than me or an average fan.

All I meant by that is that I watch the Rockets play all the time. I watch every team play as much as possible. Howard is far better, no argument. Yao may be more skilled, but an unskilled Howard never misses time, gets 22/14/3, and is the most dominant big man in the NBA physically. Yao is fragile, that factors in. There are no what if's in sports. It is either do, or don't. And Dwight does it.

Hawkeye15
03-31-2009, 10:33 AM
anyways, back to the subject. Griffin reminds me of Boozer, best case.

illhoops
03-31-2009, 11:13 AM
I think Blake will be a legitimate player in the league. Way more upside than Beasley this year. I can see him as a Carlos Boozer type player in a few years.

Follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/illhoops

what54!?
03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I think Blake will be a legitimate player in the league. Way more upside than Beasley this year. I can see him as a Carlos Boozer type player in a few years.

Follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/illhoopshow?

deepen03
03-31-2009, 11:24 AM

well if he does develop a jumper, he could be really dangerous. he could be and amare stoudemire-like player. amare i believe is only 6'9.

pf289
03-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Not gonna be a superstar IMO but certainly could be a good player. He is overpowering in college but once he gets to the NBA he will be just as powerful as everyone else.

Kakaroach
03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Beasley has upside. He has a much better perimeter game and off-the-dribble game than Blake Griffin. Griffin has a better post-up game and is better defensively.

R. Johnson#3
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I think he'll dominate. He's already got the big build which he will probably add on to after a few seasons. He will be the closest thing to Dwight Howard.

cwilson21
03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
I think he'll be a good player but not a superstar. He won't be as nearly as dominant in the NBA against bigger, stronger, and smarter C's and PF's. He doesn't have a good shot and is very poor from the FT line. If you don't have those elements to your game, then you better be as good as Howard or Shaq which I don't see him fulfilling.

what54!?
03-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Beasley has upside. He has a much better perimeter game and off-the-dribble game than Blake Griffin. Griffin has a better post-up game and is better defensively.Griffin plays no defense