PDA

View Full Version : CF Decision All But Made - It's Schafer

jdolan74
03-28-2009, 06:56 PM
It was Josh Anderson's job to lose. Has he lost it? Assuming Jeff Francoeur, Garret Anderson and Matt Diaz are locks, who will the remaining two outfielders be?

bravesatl
03-28-2009, 10:31 PM
we dont have roon for 5 OFs, our bench will be infante, prado, ross, norton, and diaz/anderson....its just 1 of schafer/blanco/anderson, unless we trade prado, but it looks like anderson or blanco will be packin....

leftie5
03-29-2009, 12:32 AM
I think it is down to Schafer and Blanco, and if I had to name a starter I really think Jordan Schafer deserves it. I found this interesting article on Schafer and if we can live with his K's, I think he will be really good for us with all the tools he has.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AuYU33Uz0CyQmmuYligZj9cRvLYF?slug=ge-schaferbraves032809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

laxman1017
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
This from D. O'Brien's Blog Today....thought I would make it its own thread, because it is a pretty reliable source, and finally has a definitive stance.

Schafer and The Decision pending: Plenty of you have asked, and now Iím finally ready to say, I think Jordan Schafer is going to get the center-field job over Josh Anderson and Gregor Blanco.
Schafer has hit .396 with a .429 OBP and .585 slugging percentage in 53 at-bats, with 14 strikeouts, three walks and a team-high five stolen bases (nearly half the teamís total of 11 steals). He has a homer among seven extra-base hits.
Anderson has hit .286 with a .298 OBP and .482 slugging percentage in 56 at-bats, with six strikeouts, one walk and two stolen bases. He has homers among his six extra-base hits.
Blanco has options, so he could be sent down. Anderson doesnít have options, but all indications from Braves people is that that isnít going to be a determining factor in this decision - if Schafer makes them a better team, heís going to be the guy.
And I think most who have a say in this, or an opinion, agree that they look like a better team with Schafer on it.
If thatís the way it goes, if Schafer gets through this week unscathed, and if Braves canít get anything of value for Anderson in a trade, Iíd guess - just a guess ó theyíd outright him to the minors if he cleared waivers.
At this late date in spring, there might be a decent chance he could clear waivers, since a claiming team would have to keep him on its roster.
Then again, perhaps the White Sox or another team that might not want to give up even low-level prospect value for him now, might be interested if all they have to do is claim him off waivers.

laxman1017
03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Guys...come on...there is no room for two of Schafer, Anderson, and Blanco....it will be one of them, with Norton the backup....look at the 25-man roster thread. There is no room for them. Infante can play outfield, so can Norton.....It will be Schafer with Norton backing him up.

A_Brave_Pack
03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I must admit that this is the 2nd time I've been able to watch the Braves play so far (stupid Western Pennsylvania) but that at-bat from Jordan Schafer was pretty weak. He looked an awful lot like Francoeur from last year. Flailed twice and then swung at Strike Three on a breaking ball in the dirt...

I just don't see who is going to Lead-off for the Braves if Schafer makes the team... I can't imagine that Schafer would leadoff (MiL Career - .270avg .339obp .447slug .786ops). Also, has nearly a 3 to 1 K to BB ratio (358 to 146) and is only a career 64% BS.

Not saying he is perfect, but Josh Anderson has better MiL career numbers: .294avg .340obp .378slug .718ops. Nearly the same 3 to 1 K to BB ratio but has successfully stolen 80% (280/349 in 6 seasons). Also, JA put up a respectable .358OBP last season in Richmond.

I just don't see why the Braves would rush JS up to begin the season. It just does not sound like how the Braves have been conducting business over the last decade. Usually they hold off on promoting prospects until midway through the season.

My biggest concern with JS is that he has only 297ABs above A ball level. I have no doubt that Schafer will be a very good MLBer, I just don't think that he will make an immediate impact and make the Braves demonstratively better if he is the Opening Day starter in CF.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this, and I will be cheering as hard as anyone for Schafer if he does, in fact, make the Opening Day roster.

laxman1017
03-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I hear ya. The argument is solid and completely logical. I guess we will just have to see the way it plays out....but as long as Schafer is decent this last week....it seems like that is the way they are going to go.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I must admit that this is the 2nd time I've been able to watch the Braves play so far (stupid Western Pennsylvania) but that at-bat from Jordan Schafer was pretty weak. He looked an awful lot like Francoeur from last year. Flailed twice and then swung at Strike Three on a breaking ball in the dirt...

Your comparing Schafer to Frenchy based on ONE AB??? Look at his stats for this ST, its obvious, he was fooled on that AB. Knowing Frenchy's approach from last year, its impossible, to hit .380 plus with those kind of holes.

I just don't see who is going to Lead-off for the Braves if Schafer makes the team... I can't imagine that Schafer would leadoff (MiL Career - .270avg .339obp .447slug .786ops). Also, has nearly a 3 to 1 K to BB ratio (358 to 146) and is only a career 64% BS.

The only worst thing to not using evidence is using evidence the wrong way. The stats that you are using for Schafer are very missleading. Yes those are his vital numbers for his Minor League days but you fail to notice that these are his line of the last two years:

2007: .312 /.374 /.513/.887 OPS
2008: .269 /.378 /.471/.849 OPS

I could imagine Schafer leading off from day one. His OBP is good enough, his gap to gap power is a bonus and his SB game is a very enticing one. Again while he has SO a bit to much his OBP are still in the .370s....

Not saying he is perfect, but Josh Anderson has better MiL career numbers: .294avg .340obp .378slug .718ops. Nearly the same 3 to 1 K to BB ratio but has successfully stolen 80% (280/349 in 6 seasons). Also, JA put up a respectable .358OBP last season in Richmond.

Actually, in terms of Minor League number, Schafer has the better numbers. A little less on the OBP but he has him owned on the SLG %. And lets not forget that last year Schafer put up a very respectable .378 OBP against, more talented, AA pitching.

I just don't see why the Braves would rush JS up to begin the season. It just does not sound like how the Braves have been conducting business over the last decade. Usually they hold off on promoting prospects until midway through the season.

My biggest concern with JS is that he has only 297ABs above A ball level. I have no doubt that Schafer will be a very good MLBer, I just don't think that he will make an immediate impact and make the Braves demonstratively better if he is the Opening Day starter in CF.

I would love nothing more than to be wrong about this, and I will be cheering as hard as anyone for Schafer if he does, in fact, make the Opening Day roster.

Actually quiet the contrary the Braves are usually very quick to promote their prospects once they have reached AA. Look at BMac, Frenchy, A. Jones....hell, just look at Hanson and Schafer. They will most likely see time this year and its yet to see how extensive their stays will be at AAA. Schafer may be there for few weeks, Hanson may be there for a couple months.

A_Brave_Pack
03-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Valid points JMT. However, allow me the opportunity for a rebuttal.

First, I qualified my statement about Schafer by saying that I have only seen the Braves play twice this ST, and that was the first time I saw Schafer at the plate. I realize what his numbers are, all I was doing is merely stating the comparison that came to my mind watching him swing up there.

Secondly, yes. I used career stats. But I will use the 07 and 08 seasons:

Schafer:

'07 A (Total): .312/.374/.513/.887 OPS, 56BB, 126K, 61%SB (23/38)
'08 AA: .269/.378/.471/.849 OPS, 49BB, 88K, 71%SB (12/17)

Anderson:

'07 AAA: .273/.325/.341/.666 OPS, 32BB, 75SO, 83%SB (40/48)
'08 AAA: .314/.358/.405/.763 OPS, 30BB, 57SO, 86%SB (42/49)

Schafer has NEVER stolen more than 23 bases, and has never had a better SB% than last year (71%) when he only stole 12 bases.

Anderson on the other hand has a OBP over the last two years of roughly 25pts lower than Schafer, but has stolen 50 more bases, and has actually been caught stealing less times (15 to 20) over the same period of time (against tougher competition AAA vs A-AA). You think Schafer's SB game is 'enticing', you should then be estatic about the potential of Anderson's SB game. Furthermore, I know it is a small sample size, but JA is also 11/13 in SB on the ML level, with a ML career OBP of .364. Again, I realize it is a small sample size, but worth mentioning.

Thirdly, it is easy to make a blanket statement that Schafer 'owns' Anderson in slugging. Josh Anderson's game isn't slugging. It is getting on base (which he does decently) and moving himself into scoring position (which he does exceptionally).

Fourthly, you are actually making my point for me. As I stated in my last post:

A_Brave_Pack:

I am not saying that the Braves will not call up Schafer at some point during the season, but all the guys you mentioned, McCann, Francoeur, A. Jones were all called up DURING the season, not at the beginning of the season. That furthers my point that the Braves tend to give their players who are on the cusp of ML ready a few more weeks/months of seasoning in the Minors before bringing them up to the Show.

Now, going forward, I have already stated that Schafer is probably the best option inside the Braves organization, but the Braves need a leadoff hitter, and someone who has shown the consistency to get himself into scoring position, especially because the Braves do not have a lot of power in their lineup. That being said, for this season alone, I strongly believe that Josh Anderson is the correct choice for this lineup.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Thirdly, it is easy to make a blanket statement that Schafer 'owns' Anderson in slugging. Josh Anderson's game isn't slugging. It is getting on base (which he does decently) and moving himself into scoring position (which he does exceptionally).

Same goes for you. You make your argument that Anderson is a better option because he has more SB, however, as we all know Schafer's game isnt about Stealing Bases.

Schafer has the potential to bring a combination of power/speed to make an offense more dynamic. What i mean is that Schafer has the speed to turn doubles into triples or gapping singles into doubles. Anderson on the other hand has to use his slap hitting to get on first and then try to steal second. Id rather have a player whom has the skill to just double himself into scoring position.

Furthermore, you seem to neglect one of Schafer's greatest tools: his defense. Schafer is better defensively and will prove to save many runs with his glove out there while adding to his overall value.

The only thing that i can agree with you is that Schafer is the best option. If the Braves dont start him right away its because they want that extra year of service, but has nothing to do with who could benefit the team for 2009. To look at Anderson and try to take stats and say he is as good or better is just crazy...

Jacob10
03-29-2009, 05:01 PM
Anderson can steal bases. That is all.

Schafer can hit homeruns, steal bases, and do a better job in Centerfield. And proved it this Spring Training. I don't think there is any question about who is the better option in my opinion. The only thing in the way is:

1) Anderson is out of options. Do we want him enough to hurt our team by hanging onto him?
2) We can gain an extra year of control over Schafer if we drop him to the minors for awhile.

Again, the only advantage Anderson has over Schafer is that he's a better base stealer. That's a poor reason to keep a five-tool player in the minors.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 05:05 PM
^^^not only that but Schafer is beating Anderson at his game this ST...

A_Brave_Pack
03-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Same goes for you. You make your argument that Anderson is a better option because he has more SB, however, as we all know Schafer's game isnt about Stealing Bases.

First of all, I never made the claim that Anderson was better because he could steal more bases.

The thing is I also never claimed that Anderson was a "slugger". Your exact words regarding Schafer were: "...his [Schafer's] SB game is a very enticing one."

All I was claiming was that Anderson is a greater threat on the base paths than Schafer based on their "SB Games".

And for a leadoff hitter, I would like the guy who can get on base, steal some bases, and move 1st to 3rd on a single by anyone else in the lineup.

Schafer has the potential to bring a combination of power/speed to make an offense more dynamic. What i mean is that Schafer has the speed to turn doubles into triples or gapping singles into doubles. Anderson on the other hand has to use his slap hitting to get on first and then try to steal second. Id rather have a player whom has the skill to just double himself into scoring position.

You are correct here. However, it isn't like Josh Anderson is not capable of getting XBHs. He had over 30 XBHs last year in AAA. I realize, again, that JS has more power than JA and that JS is more capable of hitting with power than JA. Again, in the long run, Schafer will probably prove the better MLer, as I have stated numerous times before.

Furthermore, you seem to neglect one of Schafer's greatest tools: his defense. Schafer is better defensively and will prove to save many runs with his glove out there while adding to his overall value.

No. I am not neglecting either player's defensive ability.

Schafer:

'07 A: 131G 276PO 13A 3E .990FPT (2.1PO a G)
'08 AA: 82G 164PO 6A 0E 1.000FPT (2PO a G)

Anderson:

'07 AAA: 129G 287PO 8A 9E .970FPT (2.2PO a G)
'08 AAA: 114G 283PO 8A 4E .986FPT (2.5PO a G)

Does Schafer have a higher FPCT? Yes, he does. However, they have almost the same number of Assists in the last two years. Yes, Schafer missed 50 games for PED suspension, so let's say that adds 2A and 1-2E onto Schafer's stats for '08. JS appears to be the better defensive outfielder. However it is not nearly as big of a difference as one might have assumed.

The only thing that i can agree with you is that Schafer is the best option. If the Braves dont start him right away its because they want that extra year of service, but has nothing to do with who could benefit the team for 2009. To look at Anderson and try to take stats and say he is as good or better is just crazy...

First, I never said Schafer was the best option right now, so you don't agree with me on anything. I said 'moving forward' he probably is the better option, so don't twist my words around to try to be witty at my expense.

That being said, I honestly believe that JA and JS would have very similar impacts (particularly at the beginning) on the 2009 season. The major glaring hole in the Atlanta Braves offense right now is at leadoff. I think, and again as I have stated before I am not the definitive source of knowledge on this subject, Josh Anderson could be a better leadoff hitter for the Braves than Jordan Schafer for the first half of the 2009 season. I, personally, like the speed that Josh Anderson brings to the team.

Therefore, yes. You can call me crazy if you would like (even though I don't appreciate the connotation in your statement) but I think for the current Atlanta Braves roster that Josh Anderson would be just as good of an option as Jordan Schafer due to Anderson's ability to serve as a serviceable leadoff option.

The Atlanta Braves should allow Jordan Schafer to go to Gwinnett, get some seasoning at AAA, bat him leadoff, see how he handles tougher pitching and some of the hype, and if he is doing well call him up in mid May/June (much like the Atlanta Braves have been doing with their top prospects for the last decade) and have him replace Josh Anderson if he is struggling.

Again, I will repeat that there is zero reason for the Braves to rush Jordan Schafer to the Majors, especially when we have a serviceable option in Josh Anderson to play CF at least for the first 2 months of the season. I really do not believe that the addition of Schafer to the current roster starting in April will mean any additional wins to the 2009 total compared to what Anderson is capable of providing.

jdolan74
03-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I guess Greg Norton is pretty much guaranteed since he can play Left, Right and First base. Omar Infante is the back up center fielder and of course, Francouer has played some center for us in the past.

So it does really come down to Schafer, Blanco and Josh Anderson. And it is starting to feel like a no brainer.

jdolan74
03-29-2009, 06:48 PM
If Schafer makes the team, I doubt he'll lead off. My guess is that job will return to Yunel Escobar who is a terrific contact hitter who rarely strikes out, and we'll see Kelly Johnson back batting second. And there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Escobar
Johnson
Chipper
McCann
Francoeur
Anderson
Kotchman
Schafer

That will probably be the lineup.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
First, I never said Schafer was the best option right now, so you don't agree with me on anything. I said 'moving forward' he probably is the better option, so don't twist my words around to try to be witty at my expense.

Not trying to be witty at all. As is well documented on this forum, i believe if Schafer and Anderson were both out of option, Schafer would have already gotten the nod for the full time CF duties. However, like ive stated, if the Braves keep Schafer in AAA to get an extra year of service then im all for it. However, to say Anderson will out produce Schafer or even come close to putting up similar numbers is ridiculous. Schafer has the tools to be a game changer and thus give the Braves an extra few wins with his bat and glove... Anderson could only do so as a late game PR...

Therefore, yes. You can call me crazy if you would like (even though I don't appreciate the connotation in your statement) but I think for the current Atlanta Braves roster that Josh Anderson would be just as good of an option as Jordan Schafer due to Anderson's ability to serve as a serviceable leadoff option.

Ability??? Thats the thing Anderson doesnt have the ability to lead off. He doesnt have enough contact rate to be there. He strikes out way to much and doesnt walk enough to be there.

Lets take Schafer and Anderson's stint in the Minors from last year.

Schafer: AA 2008: 84 G 49 BB
Anderson: AAA 2008: 121 G 30 BB

Also lets not forget. Anderson is 25 and is well versed with in the Minor League system. Very little that could surprise him at this level. Im really starting to think that Anderson could very well be becoming a AAAA type player...not that he wasnt from the get go. Schafer on the other hand is moving up and everything is new to him...he has to adapt and learn how to play each level that he is coming up too....even with this unfamiliarity he is still continues to put up great numbers everywhere he goes...

Thibs34
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I guess Greg Norton is pretty much guaranteed since he can play Left, Right and First base. Omar Infante is the back up center fielder and of course, Francouer has played some center for us in the past.

So it does really come down to Schafer, Blanco and Josh Anderson. And it is starting to feel like a no brainer.

Francouer playing center isn't an option. Hes played 2 games there his whole career and that was in 05 when he first came up. I don't see what that has to do with anything as far as picking our CFer.

A_Brave_Pack
03-29-2009, 10:03 PM
Again, you have great points JMT.

I should apologize if I have come off like I was taking any shots at you, or questioning your integrity. I do have a good deal of respect for you. You are always very insightful in your arguments.

You may very well be on the point with saying Anderson is one of those 4A players. There seem to have been a lot of those in the Braves organization over the last few years (Mike Hessman, Chuck James, Scott Thorman, Wilson Betemit (?), Wes Helms (?), Josh Anderson (?)).

My major point is that, while they are different types (caliber) of players, I think both Josh Anderson and Jordan Schafer can use their best attributes to contribute to the Braves in '09. Anderson utilizing his speed to perhaps be a 'table setter', and Schafer to utilize his 5-tools to push the Braves.

I am of the opinion that Anderson could do 'just enough' to justify sending Schafer down to Gwinnett to allow him to sharpen his abilities to leadoff (which I think is where he needs to bat in the Braves lineup due to his offensive potential).

It'll certainly be very interesting to see how the Braves OF situation and Bullpen shake out here over the next couple of weeks.

laxman1017
03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Not to get away from a great debate guys....just gonna lob the point out there....that it looks as though the decision is MADE. That is the point of the thread. We can debate Anderson over Schafer all day long. Point is, it look like he is our guy.

jmtapia
03-29-2009, 11:39 PM

Not a chance in this world. 0% chance.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 12:36 AM
I think it is a mistake to start Schafers clock start right now. As much as I think it would make more short term sence to bring him up, in the long run its a higher risk and more costly.

Further, until the Braves Front Office confirms its Schafer I dont go by a writers opinion, DOB or Bowman or anyone. Furcal anyone? Griffey?

jdolan74
03-30-2009, 03:32 AM
So... Matt Diaz and Omar Infante were used as a pinch hitters and Jordan Schafer has to come out of the game. The only players left on your bench are David Ross, Martin Prado and Greg Norton. Garret Anderson is in Left and Francoeur is in Right. Who plays center in that scenerio? Because what I was referring to was an "emergency" situation.

I'm not saying we're going to just start Francoeur in center out of the blue. I'm just saying with Blanco and Josh Anderson out of the picture, that makes the depth chart Schafer, Infante, Francoeur because neither Diaz or Norton has ever played center once in their careers. Sure Garret Anderson has played some center but not since 2004 so I feel like Francoeur's youth makes him the wiser of the emergency replacements.

Still 0 chance?

Thibs34
03-30-2009, 03:45 AM
^^Bobby is smarter than that. I would imagine he would put in Infante as a defensive replacement at the time that he does pinch hit. That leaves him available for the move to center if the problem presented itself. Zero chance?? Yes I say zero chance as well.

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 12:15 PM
Would you trust anything that comes from O'briens mouth right now.....according to him griffey was being sized for a braves uni.....smoltz was going no where.......furcal was already heading to spring training........then boom...they are all somewhere else not braves.....i will believe when i see..take everything that comes out of his mouth with a grain of salt..hell maybe even 2

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Fair point.....but the way the lineup has looked also bears out what he says in Regards to Schafer. He is in the lineup again today.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Fair point.....but the way the lineup has looked also bears out what he says in Regards to Schafer. He is in the lineup again today.

Look, im not saying your wrong.. or that DOB is. But there is no factual evidence, yet, that Schafer has been demoted or promoted.

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM
When the only factual evidence will be when they purchase his contract. I'm not arguing your point at all. I'm just saying...all signs point to Schafer, and those people covering the Braves are getting a vibe from the front office that is the direction they will go. It bears being said. I agree to take it with a grain of salt...but it is DEFINITE possibility.

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
When the only factual evidence will be when they purchase his contract. I'm not arguing your point at all. I'm just saying...all signs point to Schafer, and those people covering the Braves are getting a vibe from the front office that is the direction they will go. It bears being said. I agree to take it with a grain of salt...but it is DEFINITE possibility.

Josh Anderson just got traded to the Tigers.....its down to Gregor vs Jordan

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 02:52 PM
link please?

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Never mind...thanks for the heads up!

Tigers Acquire Josh Anderson
By Tim Dierkes [March 30 at 1:37pm CST]
According to David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Tigers acquired outfielder Josh Anderson from the Braves for minor league pitcher Rudy Darrow.

Darrow, 24, is a former college wrestler who is listed at 5'10", 180 lbs. The Tommy John survivor uses a sidearm delivery to touch 94, and Baseball America suggests he could pitch in the Majors this year. As such, it seems odd that the Tigers would trade him.

The speedy Anderson was unable to win the Braves' center field job, which presumably goes to Jordan Schafer now.

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 03:11 PM
All the signs pointed this way...and with Blanco having options, I believe it is over...here is Braves.com link

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090330&content_id=4090142&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 03:17 PM
BTW Wren was asked by O'Brien today about keeping both schafer and blanco on the 25 man, and he said that is not going to happen. Will carry an extra arm in the billpen, as expected

Gregor has options guys....he is going to be sent down, and Schafer will be your CF....BANK ON IT

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 03:44 PM
All the signs pointed this way...and with Blanco having options, I believe it is over...here is Braves.com link

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090330&content_id=4090142&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

I think we want an extra year out of schaefer. gregor will start in CF until jordan is called up 2 weeks later so we can save money in the future by not making him a super two and losing a year

laxman1017
03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
If it happens that he gets sent down...we all will know why, no question. I truly believe they are just going to play the best guy though....and screw the arbitration. We will see. Either way, with both having options...the 25-man is just about set.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I think we want an extra year out of schaefer. gregor will start in CF until jordan is called up 2 weeks later so we can save money in the future by not making him a super two and losing a year

There is no way the Braves pull this laime tactic on Schafer. Your talking a sucker punch type move that could remove millions of dollars from a very talented players pocket. You just dont treat players like that. If its Gregor,,, then Gregor gets his shot to fail, and Schafer gets the call up when he is ready!

It all comes down to "is Schafer ready enough to play". They know Gregor is, heck they knew Anderson was too! Its just that Schafer has a lot more upside. To fail to answer this question properly...possibly starts his clock early and costing the team more money and further stunt his growth because of being outmatched? If Schafer is ready, they can use the youthful talent to hopefully add a spark to the lineup.

But no way they send him down just to call him up in two weeks. They know Jordan is not a idiot, and they know a long term relationship between him and the team and possibly the players union could be hurt.

njbravefan
03-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Baseball is a business, especially with the Turner days over with. Schafer will follow in the footsteps of many others before him: Longoria, Price & Wieters come to mind

Zorak
03-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Baseball is a business, especially with the Turner days over with. Schafer will follow in the footsteps of many others before him: Longoria, Price & Wieters come to mind

Beat me to it. Even though he is having an amazing spring it is still spring training and he has never played above AA. Just wait a few months to call him up.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 04:49 PM

Not so fast. He has proven people wrong at every step. He came in as a long shot to make the team this year. He came back when last year the Media gave up Schafer to be a roid freak.. turns out he says he took the hit and didnt do the crime. He just keeps on hitting this spring when many thought he would slow down. The kid practices non stop from what I understand and never gives up. If he makes the team, I think its because the scouts an talent evaluators believe he is legit. Many players have made this jump before and been fine.

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 04:59 PM
There is no way the Braves pull this laime tactic on Schafer. Your talking a sucker punch type move that could remove millions of dollars from a very talented players pocket. You just dont treat players like that. If its Gregor,,, then Gregor gets his shot to fail, and Schafer gets the call up when he is ready!

It all comes down to "is Schafer ready enough to play". They know Gregor is, heck they knew Anderson was too! Its just that Schafer has a lot more upside. To fail to answer this question properly...possibly starts his clock early and costing the team more money and further stunt his growth because of being outmatched? If Schafer is ready, they can use the youthful talent to hopefully add a spark to the lineup.

But no way they send him down just to call him up in two weeks. They know Jordan is not a idiot, and they know a long term relationship between him and the team and possibly the players union could be hurt.

He sucker punched us with that 50 game suspension so it will happen gregor will start and jordan will come up in a month

BRAVE KID
03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Love it how we all are all knowing..how do you know it "will happen?" Are you with the team? He may very well win this straight out of camp, 2 weeks and a month are different time spans, if blanco does win it (which I don't think he will b/c I am on the give it to the guy that has a better shot at producing boat), knowing cox and the braves they are bound to give him as many chances as possible..so two/three months sound about right, not saying that "will" happen but going back to cases like Davies, Woodward, Thorman, Craig Wilson, Mondesi, Jordan etc...they are bound to give him more than a month span.

Joe Smoe
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
He sucker punched us with that 50 game suspension so it will happen gregor will start and jordan will come up in a month

Huh? The kid was not ever tested positive for being on any PED's. He was merely suspected of using growth, a charge he vehemently denies.

The kid has more then since then proven that his skill is talent, not drugs.

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 06:19 PM
Huh? The kid was not ever tested positive for being on any PED's. He was merely suspected of using growth, a charge he vehemently denies.

The kid has more then since then proven that his skill is talent, not drugs.

He tested positive for a substance that hides HGH from showing up on a test being in your body

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3338621

jdolan74
03-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Will the Braves use Gregor Blanco until June to get an extra year of free agency and arbitration? I think we won't because we need him to win in this very vulnerable division. Past Santana and Hamels, I think the Braves have the superior rotations so every stat counts at the beginning of the season. But was wondering what others thought.

thewupk
03-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Arbitration is one thing but they just need to hold Schafer back 2 weeks to gain an extra year before he hits free agency. And they probably should. The odds of Schafer being that much better than Blanco over a 2 weeks to negate the value of an extra year of him being under control is pretty slim.

thewupk
03-30-2009, 06:40 PM
He tested positive for a substance that hides HGH from showing up on a test being in your body

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3338621

Nowhere in the article does it say he tested positive for a substance that hides HGH

RandyRocks77
03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
I don't think you can test for HGH... i could be wrong though

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Nowhere in the article does it say he tested positive for a substance that hides HGH

While MLB does not test for HGH and the World Anti-Doping Agency uses a blood test it believes to be viable, no athlete has ever failed it. Schafer's suspension was the result of a "non-analytical positive," meaning MLB was able to establish that he obtained or used HGH through other means.

your right he didnt have anything hiding it but people said he had HGH and isnt that the same as what we are saying about bonds, clemens.

He has to be held accountable

uncblue2332
03-30-2009, 07:07 PM
totally agree I think we can wait two weeks for an extra year of JS

RandyRocks77
03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
wow this poll needs to be rebooted

Bravefan29
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
He was held accountable for hanging with the wrong crowd, he did not test positive for anything, no substance that blocks HGH or nothing of the sort....let the kid get on with his life.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3859231

ecyrb912
03-30-2009, 11:06 PM
just because gregor has options doesnt mean that hes going to be the one sent down. as it stands right now, to me, the braves have just as many reasons to send schafer down as they do blanco, so it's still open.

but whichever of the two does get sent down, i dont imagine it will be long before he's called up. especially with diaz coming off of an injured season, GA already having some minor problems, and franceour needing to bounce back.

Thibs34
03-31-2009, 12:33 AM
The fact that Schafer has been starting all the games at CF over the past few days leads me to believe that he will get the nod from the start. I don't see the point in giving him all the time and giving Blanco no time(came in as a RF sub today) in CF and then giving Blanco the job. Even if it was for the first couple weeks, wouldn't it make more sense for Blanco to be Schafers replacement rather than Frenchy's?

Personally I'm happy with whatever direction they choose as long as Schafer is the Starting CF by the first of May. I would love the extra year of control of Schafer but if the guy has proven himself it's hard to not give him the job from the start, especially since it's the most glaring need on the team at this point.

Joe Smoe
03-31-2009, 03:15 AM
totally agree I think we can wait two weeks for an extra year of JS

You honestly think that will fly with Schafer.. and he would be all kewl and lovey dovey. Your talking about using a class less loop hole to get out of paying Schafer a few million dollars and locking him up for a year of his life.

Peds or Not...This is a player the Braves want to possibly lock up for awhile. You start building a relationship with a player from day 1. You pull that on a player like Schafer and he walks the first chance he has. I would hope the Braves have more class then that. I am sure that would stink up the clubhouse as well.

GLASSMAN
03-31-2009, 06:53 AM
I understand the concern about playing money games with a young talented guy but what happens if and when he begins to struggle. Much has been made of his performance this spring and how he has become the clear front runner if not heir to the CF job. Regardless of his talent/potential he will struggle to some degree and it begs the question to me as to what happens then? I'm not trying to predict a monumental slide but once he begins facing major league pitching day in and day out he'll be required to perform at a level that he's not familiar with. Personally I'd still like to see him face some AAA pitching for while if for no other reason than to continue to build his confidence but that's just me. It's been said and to me rings true, it's harder to send him down than bring him up. The last thing we want or need is for our future leaders to have to endure the inherent pressure that comes with not meeting our sometimes unrealistic expectations. That said he's the clear choice for CF but as in all things, timing is everything.