PDA

View Full Version : The only reason Kobe got Mvp last seaon......

majmarcus
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Is because,well not that he didn't deserve it,because he did!But what no one is sayin',is that the Media couldn't wait to give it to LBJ.(IMO)Kobe should've had @least 2 mvp's at this point.His mvp was long overdue.But considerin' all the pub LBJ has gotten str8 outta HS coupled with the negative press KB24 has gotten.They(The Media)were dyin' to elevate someone above Kobe.All Kind of ?'s would've been raised if LBJ would've touched that award b4 Kobe.Hindsight would've kicked in & People(Media)would've reviewed Kobe's resume then questioned themselves.How in the world did it take Bean 12 yrs to receive his MVP award?............Does anyone agree?

EddieB
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
Yup, MVP are over rated imo, you have to be the best player on the best team now a days, Kobe was tearing it up but he had Smush, Kwame and Luke Walton in the starting lineup, is that his fault?

D-Leethal
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I kinda agree, there were years that he deserved it more and didn't get it.......but last year he was finally on top of the league as the #1 guy so they had to give it to him......I think Larry Bird said something when he heard Kobe had never gotten the MVP before last season along the lines of 'that makes me want to give mine away'

Brooke
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Because how the way the MVP is looked at. He finally had a good team and the best record in the West. He deserved at least 1 a couple years back but since Kobe basically had no one, he carried that team and they werent that good he didnt get it

and yes Kobe won it fair and square, it wasnt a achievement award like some think it was. He beat the Hornets which basically clinched it and that is why he won it

the award has been a joke for years

NYMetros
03-29-2009, 02:10 PM
He definitely deserved it last year. I, personally, think he should have more than 1 MVP by now over guys like Nash and Dirk who don't play a lick of defense. Kobe arguably has the best resume for an NBA player since Jordan.

EddieB
03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Nash padded his stats by running a fast break team that put up as much points as they can, that was their system, Nash played no defense and has 2 mvps.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Kobe didn't deserve it last year. He did however deserve it the year he carried the Lakers into the playoffs with a 35/5/5 average, with crap on his team. MVP should go to the star that if you removed him from his team, they suck. With him, they are a contender. LeBron should have won last year. Dwight Howard would fit that definition this year, but LeBron's team is the best in the NBA, and there second best player is Mo Williams, so he has claim to it. The MVP award is basically a popularity contest, and goes to the best player on one of the top 2-3 teams.

majmarcus
03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I kinda agree, there were years that he deserved it more and didn't get it.......but last year he was finally on top of the league as the #1 guy so they had to give it to him......I think Larry Bird said something when he heard Kobe had never gotten the MVP before last season along the lines of 'that makes me want to give mine away'

I didn't know Bird said that............That's some real **** if/when he said that!

hotdogbun
03-29-2009, 02:18 PM
MVP should be given to the most talented player + WINS . not the best player on the best team.

i think if u are very talented and get beastly stats that u dont have to be on the best team to be mvp i think making the playoffs is enough.

kobe in 2006 should have won it 36 PPG WTF + 45 wins

Brooke
03-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I think Larry Bird said something when he heard Kobe had never gotten the MVP before last season along the lines of 'that makes me want to give mine away'

He said that? Wow I didnt know he said that

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 02:22 PM

Which one of the 3 did he want to give away? Or was it one of his 2 finals MVP's?

Kyle N.
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm not saying Kobe didn't deserve it, but if the Hornets were the top in the West, Chris Paul would have won it for sure. That's just how it goes.

kobe24>lebron23
03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
larry bird on kobe

Quote:
Well, I think Kobe is the best player in our league, and I think he's been the best player for a long time. Not to take anything away from anyone else.

Somebody told me the other day that he hasn't won an MVP trophy, that sorta made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away. That's how much respect I have for the guy.

He'd be the guy that I would want with the ball when the game is on the line.

still1ballin
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Skadoosh

KB24PG16
03-29-2009, 03:10 PM
kobe should have more than 1

Chronz
03-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Dirk deserved the MVP as much as Kobe did the year he went to the Finals, you dont just completely ignore team success, and his individual stats were great.

EddieB
03-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Dirk deserved the MVP as much as Kobe did the year he went to the Finals, you dont just completely ignore team success, and his individual stats were great.

Actually Shaq should of won it that year

Chronz
03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Definitely but thats not the year I was talkin about, its true Shaq deserved it over Nash and Dirk but neither really shouldve been MVP contenders, its just that those 2 stories were the most publicized that year. Dirk finished 3rd that year but really Duncan was still the best player in the league at that point, I just get the feeling they didnt want to give him 3 MVP's or he was overlooked because hes always had the same dominance. Had Duncan been traded and made a decent team instantly better they wouldve recognized his worth, its a shame really.

But that wasnt the year I was talking about, Dirk lost to Nash that year in the playoffs, Im talking about the year he went to the Finals. It was the best year of Dirk's career, he led the team to 60 wins and was more valuable to his team than the guy who finished 1st (Duncan) was to his that year, he was crazy efficient and overall led his team within 2 wins of a title. Kobe put up godly per game averages, and finished right behind Dirk in the total tally. Both shouldve been higher and I have no problem with saying he deserved it, but people want to make it seem like he was the no brainer choice and thats just not true. Dirk was just as great that year in a different way, efficiency wins games as much as scoring binges do. That year we had 2 of the best of both.

The year Dirk actually won it couldve gone to either Kobe or Nash, Dirk was still worthy, his case just wasnt as strong but the team greatly overachieved in the regular season and Dirk got the credit, and he finally convinced voters he was elite material after the fact that he made the Finals finally.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Shaq wasn't even the best player on his team. How does that qualify winning the MVP? Dirk was the best player that season

prodigy
03-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Yup, MVP are over rated imo, you have to be the best player on the best team now a days, Kobe was tearing it up but he had Smush, Kwame and Luke Walton in the starting lineup, is that his fault?

omg. Ya i forgot about when lebron came into the leauge. When the cavs had magic, MJ, bill russel, bird and lebron. WAIT WHAT??

Kobe's not the only guy to put up good numbers without having star talent around him.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 05:13 PM
omg. Ya i forgot about when lebron came into the leauge. When the cavs had magic, MJ, bill russel, bird and lebron. WAIT WHAT??

Kobe's not the only guy to put up good numbers without having star talent around him.

I can not believe I am defending Kobe Bryant, but dude, 35/5/5 is a little better than good. That roster he had was crap. When your starting lineup is Smush Parker, Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown/Chris Mihm, and Brian Cook, and you are able to get 45 wins, you are a bad ***. Now, I think LeBron deserved it last year, same scenario basically, plus he had just taken a team of 12 drunken sailors to the finals the year before.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 05:15 PM
but, it all goes back to the fact that they ignore players whose teams don't win a ton of games without looking at what surrounds them. It was not the fault of KG in 04-05' when Cassell and Spree quit and they still got 44 wins. Or Kobe the following year with that crap roster.

philab
03-29-2009, 05:36 PM
So let me get this straight:

The media was dying to give LeBron MVP but knew that it would look ridiculous if they did as Kobe had not yet won. So the media, all 126 voters, came to an unspoken agreement to vote Kobe MVP in 2008 to clear the way for LeBron in 2009. And in the meantime, they decided to vote LeBron FOURTH just to make it more convincing.

Is that about it?

What a load of crap. If you think Kobe got screwed in MVP voting prior to 2008, say it. Join the club. What LeBron has to do with it is beyond me.

Media bias, my ***. LeBron went 30/8/7 last year on a playoff team (45-29 with LeBron) and ended up FOURTH in the voting. Remember that when *****ing about Kobe's 35/5/5 MVP miss (which admittedly was sick and possibly even MVP-worthy).

D-Leethal
03-29-2009, 05:58 PM
larry bird on kobe

Quote:
Well, I think Kobe is the best player in our league, and I think he's been the best player for a long time. Not to take anything away from anyone else.

Somebody told me the other day that he hasn't won an MVP trophy, that sorta made me feel like I wanted to throw mine away. That's how much respect I have for the guy.

He'd be the guy that I would want with the ball when the game is on the line.

couldn't find a link with a quote but it was on Dan Patrick show it basically went exactly liek you have there

Kabowdos
03-29-2009, 06:23 PM
The MVP goes to the best player on the best team (for the most part). The MVP has to have great stats.

Celtics have too many stars, which is why Kobe got it.
This year... your MVP is LeBron James...best player on best team and has the stats.
CP3 would have won it last year if Hornets were in first place.
Nash won the MVP because his team was awesome and he was the best on it with great stats. It is just how it goes.

Wade is probably the best in the league right now, but he won't win an MVP unless his team gets first, second, third, or fourth place in NBA standings.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
So let me get this straight:

The media was dying to give LeBron MVP but knew that it would look ridiculous if they did as Kobe had not yet won. So the media, all 126 voters, came to an unspoken agreement to vote Kobe MVP in 2008 to clear the way for LeBron in 2009. And in the meantime, they decided to vote LeBron FOURTH just to make it more convincing.

Is that about it?

What a load of crap. If you think Kobe got screwed in MVP voting prior to 2008, say it. Join the club. What LeBron has to do with it is beyond me.

Media bias, my ***. LeBron went 30/8/7 last year on a playoff team (45-29 with LeBron) and ended up FOURTH in the voting. Remember that when *****ing about Kobe's 35/5/5 MVP miss (which admittedly was sick and possibly even MVP-worthy).

exactly dude. Some fans like to argue against something they do all the time.

Vinny642
03-29-2009, 06:38 PM
IMO Cp3 should've won it last year even if he didn't get the top seed in the West. Its not like were that many games away from first, we were 1 Game away. And our last week of the season was bad. Kobe definitely deserved one but not last year.

EHL
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
Lets get this one straight.

Kobe deserves the MVP last year. Best record in the West, amazing stat line.

Kobe deserved the MVP in 05-06 over Steve Nash who is exposed.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2009, 09:24 PM

by your theory, Kobe did not deserve it then in 05-06', his team wasnt' very good. I am sure you can come up with why he should have won it from 2003-current.

kswissdaf
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I just find it funny how in the nba if you have great teammates ppl consider you to be a better player EX. Kobe never used to get respect for being anything besides a scorer but when he got Pau he suddenly became a better player. And also when ppl say Kobe should have won a MVP before last season what year should he have won it

Fear_GAS_OLDier
03-29-2009, 09:58 PM
kobe should have 3 mvp's now, nash should have 0a

KobeIs
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
kobe should have 3 mvp's now, nash should have 0a

iono man, kobe shouldve had a few and i personally thought he shouldve got finals mvp back against the nets but wutevers

nash should def have 1, no more. no hate man

Vinny642
03-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Kobe deserved it but Cp3 deserved it more, and Cp had an equal if not better stat line.