PDA

View Full Version : I HATE College Basketball, but Love the NBA

KingOf215
03-29-2009, 04:31 AM
I absolutely despise college hoops, and March is my least favorite month of the year for ESPN. This awful month can not end soon enough for me, and I hate being force fed all the college hoop highlights. What I don't understand is why college basketball is so immensely popular in this country, and why this doesn't really translate into Pro Hoops. It even appears to me that college basketball is more popular than college football, yet the NFL is way more popular than the NBA. Why do you think things are the way they are? Please enlighten me.

Vinny642
03-29-2009, 04:37 AM
Hater Alert, College BBall is nice and exciting when you have a team in the tornament.

The GEEEEE Men
03-29-2009, 04:49 AM
March Madness >>>>>>>>>>>>>> March NBA

Is this even worth debating??? you should never be allowed to make a thread again

majestic
03-29-2009, 04:54 AM
dude basketball is basketball and as fans we like good basketball and college is that especially in march..

Trouble87
03-29-2009, 04:56 AM
I absolutely despise college hoops, and March is my least favorite month of the year for ESPN. This awful month can not end soon enough for me, and I hate being force fed all the college hoop highlights. What I don't understand is why college basketball is so immensely popular in this country, and why this doesn't really translate into Pro Hoops. It even appears to me that college basketball is more popular than college football, yet the NFL is way more popular than the NBA. Why do you think things are the way they are? Please enlighten me.

I think its popular because its slightly more exciting... players on the college level play for the love of the game (and promise of a fat NBA contract/lucrative sponsorship deal) they play hard pretty much every game

Also almost every big city has a college ball team. Everyone is pretty much represented. People love to get behind the home team

AccUrSeD
03-29-2009, 05:07 AM
People play their hearts out in march madness, for some of them it is their last basketball game forever. Unless they can prove to NBA scouts they are good enough to be drafted, so they are playing their hearts out.

Hustla23
03-29-2009, 11:09 AM
It's alot more physical, intense, and full of emotion.

And the crowds are absolutely nuts.

I love college bball.

EX-TREME
03-29-2009, 11:13 AM

I love college bball.

:nod:

wwwhat
03-29-2009, 11:21 AM
I like March Madness. Especially when the Canes got in last year. But sometimes the sloppiness of play annoys me. The lack of good ball handlers sucks, I don't like seeing turnovers and constant full-court presses. I enjoy good offense, with screens/rolls, cuts, etc. But sometimes it gets into a running fest and though exciting sometimes it seems really sloppy too.

Zefflin
03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
^^ That and it seems like they run the same play over and over again regardless if it's working. Swing it back and forth at the top of the key and chuck a stupid three pointer up. My hate for college bball has declined over the years (im actually watching duke vs conn right now) but I like watching the elite.

Dcup
03-29-2009, 11:30 AM
I think its popular because its slightly more exciting... players on the college level play for the love of the game (and promise of a fat NBA contract/lucrative sponsorship deal) they play hard pretty much every game

Also almost every big city has a college ball team. Everyone is pretty much represented. People love to get behind the home team

People play their hearts out in march madness, for some of them it is their last basketball game forever. Unless they can prove to NBA scouts they are good enough to be drafted, so they are playing their hearts out.

Slightly more exciting? Its WAYYYYYY more exciting, guys get up and down the court, teams play DEFENSE. And yes, college players play for the love of the game. You think about how many college basketball players there are in the country and think about how many of them actually make it to the NBA...not that many. So, that translates into "their last game ever".

Havent you ever seen the NCAA commercial about student athletes? It is especially true for college basketball players. There are 380,000 student athletes that will go pro in something besides sports. This is the #1 reason for me why college basketball is that much better than the NBA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNeFhQw_-3Q

BoognishMN
03-29-2009, 11:39 AM
I can't stand NBA but love college basktball. To each their own I guess

Nighthawk
03-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I know someone like this, who cant stand college sports. Me im just a fan of BASKETBALL. Im more and NBA guy than NCAA but im not going to lie like these games are not exciting. Nova/Pitt wasnt watchable? Pro or Not that was some good stuff. Right now NBA teams are just trying to get healthy for the playoffs, while NCAA teams are fighting it out in a do or die situation, 1 loss you go home. I'll ADMIT i'll take NBA playoffs over March Madness anyday but hell this is def a treat before NBA playoffs.

wwwhat
03-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Slightly more exciting? Its WAYYYYYY more exciting, guys get up and down the court, teams play DEFENSE. And yes, college players play for the love of the game. You think about how many college basketball players there are in the country and think about how many of them actually make it to the NBA...not that many. So, that translates into "their last game ever".

Havent you ever seen the NCAA commercial about student athletes? It is especially true for college basketball players. There are 380,000 student athletes that will go pro in something besides sports. This is the #1 reason for me why college basketball is that much better than the NBA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNeFhQw_-3Q

Teams "play DEFENSE" to you because you because you don't know much about defense. Just because they full court press for 40 minutes doesn't mean they're actually playing defense. If it worked in the NBA they'd play "48 minutes of hell" but it won't work because NBA ball handlers are talented and will burn you if you do that. And playing zone, IMO is just a way to cover their lack of ability to rotate well.

And it's a lot like the NBA playoffs anyway in intensity. It's not like NBA players are like "well at least we got it to the second round" and just quit. NBA playoffs is balls to the walls. Guys play more intense than ever. They just can't do it in the regular season cause they have 82 games to go through compared to the ~30 college games.

Wrigleyboy25
03-29-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm the opposite. I love college basketball. Seems to be more of a pure game, where defenses actually make stops. There is more excitement and passion from the kids playing. And I'm from a college basketball city which helps.

I used to be a big NBA fan in the 90s, but it's just not the same anymore.

oballers
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
One and done.

Hopefully like your ability to make threads.

:crazy:

TheBlackHole
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
College ball is nice because most of the players arent playing for a check.

KnicksorBust
03-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I actually agree. The college game doesn't do it for me. It's a constant roll-over of players and I know many of them I'm never even going to see again.

TopsyTurvy
03-29-2009, 12:51 PM
College basketball rarely does it for me. There are the occasions when it is really fun to watch, but for the most part the pacing is slower and the game is sloppier than what is offered in the NBA. After the first week of March Madness I will try to catch as many games as I can to see how absolutely dominant league-bound players can be.

There's a big difference between say the ACC pre-conference play basketball and the sweet sixteen in March.

SteveNash
03-29-2009, 12:58 PM
It's popular because of betting.

And please stop with the good defense argument. Bad offense does not equal good defense.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-29-2009, 01:03 PM
i like it because its cool to see the young guys before they hit the NBA.

alexander_37
03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
and why this doesn't really translate into Pro Hoops

That's so ignorant these guys are the star's of tomorrow.....

I do not particularity like college ball but I def. respect it and realize that one of these guys may one day be the star of your favorite team.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
how is this thread worthy

homestarunner93
03-29-2009, 01:21 PM
Are you kidding me? The NBA is so boring to watch. Its basically a dunk competition played out. College basketball players actually want to play, and win. They aren't just waiting for their next pay check.

La11
03-29-2009, 01:23 PM

hahaha.....2 bad your blind..stick to cricket please

Kaptain Kanada
03-29-2009, 01:33 PM
Biggest thing I love about watching college ball is that the game (for the most part) is called by the rules. There are no 'crab-dribbles', no phantom DWade type fouls, travelling is called, etc etc.

The college is game is more pure, not star driven. I wish the NBA would take a lesson and start having the refs call the games how the rules are written.

king4day
03-29-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't despise it but i could care less. That's why I picked American to win it all :D

NYMetros
03-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Another thing to realize:

Every single college basketball player wants to win. In the NBA, about half of the guys could care less whether or not their team wins. College players play for the love of the game. Pros play for a paycheck. They just don't have the same intensity that the fans do.

mdlr52192
03-29-2009, 01:46 PM
College basketball is a lot more exciting, especially when its in March when you have one-and-done scenarios everywhere. These kids really enjoy the game as you can see by the emotion from winning and losing. THe NBA is more commercial, and its a lot easier to go watch a college basketball game than it is an NBA game.

Jepetto1872
03-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I am a much bigger fan of watching college hoops. It is a much more physical game. When someone gets fouled hard in a college game, there is no potential suspension or fine coming. It is just part of the game. Also, the teams ACTUALLY play defense

La11
03-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Basketball for college players its for fun and love of the game(most dont make it to the pros so they play hard every second)..Basketball to Nba players is its their JOB and they've already made.

onlythisfar41
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
college basketball owns the NBA, way more heart because they actually are playing for the pride of their teams, not just for a salary.

hotpotato1092
03-29-2009, 02:08 PM

St. Johns hasn't been good for a while so New York isn't represented.

bbsmets
03-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Not going to insult you or anything, Mr. Thread starter.

You are insane.

College Basketball >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ANY NBA game. Even the NBA Finals.

The players actually PLAY the game. They really have a love of the game, and are playing for their schools and their teammates. 95% of the players in college will never play NBA, but they are out there throwing their bodies around strictly for the love of the game and the students that go to that school.

Nothing compares to that kind of feeling. Watch a Duke-UNC game sometime. 250,000% more emotion in that game than ANY NBA game, both on the court or in the stands. Kansas-Missouri, Kentucky-Louisville, UNC-NC State, any rival really, tears the NBA a new one.

LA-Boston? Small potatos.

bbsmets
03-29-2009, 02:13 PM
St. Johns hasn't been good for a while so New York isn't represented.

Yes, but New York PLAYERS are everywhere, so the city gets exposed to teams from everywhere.

tc2deuce
03-29-2009, 02:19 PM
NBA is whack until the playoffs!

abe_froman
03-29-2009, 02:27 PM
now i dont hate college ball,but it doesnt interest me.the quality level of play is just so much lower(why most wont get into the nba).just like watching the highest level of players competing at the highest level

and to those that say college players are just playing because of love of the game alone,thats crap.they are barred from getting paid and so dont have a choice,forced to play there..since you cant take straight from h.s. anymore,besides most are playing to impress the scouts and get fat nba contract(i know so pure :rolleyes: )

the only thing that college beats nba at is crowd enthusiasm and atmosphere,and which the nba could adopt that alittle more

Kyle N.
03-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I know someone like this, who cant stand college sports. Me im just a fan of BASKETBALL. Im more and NBA guy than NCAA but im not going to lie like these games are not exciting. Nova/Pitt wasnt watchable? Pro or Not that was some good stuff. Right now NBA teams are just trying to get healthy for the playoffs, while NCAA teams are fighting it out in a do or die situation, 1 loss you go home. I'll ADMIT i'll take NBA playoffs over March Madness anyday but hell this is def a treat before NBA playoffs.

I agree with everything you said here. I love the NBA more but college basketball is still exciting. The championship game last year was insane and so was the Nova/Pitt last night.

beans439
03-29-2009, 02:43 PM
College basketball = hustle, hustle, hustle, hustle. if you enjoy the game of bball, you cant dislike march madness. young guys playing with so much emotion and determination. its the difference between guys trying to get paid and guys already paid.

Becks2307
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM

i'm glad i'm not alone. I dont enjoy College Basketball at all, i just dont see why its so popular. I definately respect it but I just can't get into it. I think you have to go to a basketball school to really appreciate it so you can experience it first hand. But imo Suns, spurs game one last year >>> any tournament game last year, even the final.

Kakaroach
03-29-2009, 03:49 PM

I love college bball. x2 I love both the NCAA and the NBA. I just like the NBA more though. This is my favorite time of year. March Madness and Playoff Time. :D

KingOf215
03-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't like college basketball because in the back of my head I know there is a higher skilled product out there. I know that barring some type of miracle the worst NBA team beats the NCAA champion 9 out of 10 times they play. So in a nutshell, I just like to watch the cream of the crop, and don't settle for 2nd rate talent. This is the same reason why I watch the NFL and not Arena Football.

Now back to the original topic, which went over the head of a lot of you jackasses (not all of you). I'm not here wondering why or why you don't like college basketball. My question is why the popularity of college basketball does not translate over to the NBA. In other words (for all you geico cavemen out there that don't understand), since the NCAA is so popular, why isn't the NBA more popular than it is? After all, it's still basketball, and with more skilled players at that.

Thanks to the people who addressed the question, and actually know how to read.

kvrnm
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
i honestly have little to no interest in the nba during the ncaa tournament