PDA

View Full Version : Braves "exploring" trading Josh Anderson

rtgthree
03-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Here's Mark Bowman of MLB.com:

The Braves are exploring the option of trading Josh Anderson, who is out of options, and if they're able to strike a deal with a team that's looking for a speedy outfielder, [Gregor] Blanco might be the most sensical option from a business standpoint.

The White Sox are among the teams looking for an outfielder like Anderson. But manager Ozzie Guillen has said he doesn't expect the team to looking outside the organization for a center fielder. We'll see if this proves to be true.

Bowman also says that he's "now at least buying into the possibility that [Blanco] might be manning [center field] at the beginning of the season." He adds that, "If the Braves were to send [Blanco] to the Minors to begin the season, his trade value would plummet and more importantly, he's somebody who certainly could be psychologically damaged by such a move."

It seems that the Braves are finally seeing that Anderson isn't likely to be much of an asset into the future, and maybe they can get a little something for him in the next ten days.

http://markbowman.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/03/soriano_willingly_speaks.html

Thibs34
03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Not surprising to me. Although he did okay he didn't separate himself from the pack and hasn't really shown the OBP for a leadoff batter. I to think that Blanco is the better option. I think he will be penciled in for the first month of the season and then we will reevaluate the situation. Shafer could join the team at that point. We'll just have to see how it pans out.

Joe Smoe
03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I am happy to see this. Blanco is the logical choice in my book. If he fails, then Schafer gets the nod. I really hope we can pull a trade for another strong pen peice. Or for farm peices.

BravoFan3736
03-28-2009, 07:27 AM
I am happy to see this. Blanco is the logical choice in my book. If he fails, then Schafer gets the nod. I really hope we can pull a trade for another strong pen peice. Or for farm peices.

The real question is if we can get anything of value in return. Otherwise the braves won't let Anderson be placed on waivers because he will be picked up and will be given him away for free. So if we can throw in a BP arm to get a decent Mid teir 3B/MI prospect than I am all for it but I don't think anderson has that much value at all and would be interesting what the braves will do if not able to send him away on a trade. I can see that he will be the CF opening day if nothing comes across in a trade that is worth while and after a month or two when Schafer is called up and/or Blanco shows that he can produce as a everyday CFer he than will be trade bait.

I don't think in any trade at this point the braves are looking to add another MLer to the roster. The 25 man roster is pretty much set and this would be a trade to free up a roster spot and add prospects to a area that needs depth on the farm 3B/MI.

We will see...

THE_FLASH_21
03-28-2009, 11:50 AM
^ I agree... We'll get a RP prospect, not a MLBer.... But we do need some RP in the majors now.. We don't know what's gonna happen with Raffy, Gonzo is struggling, and we don't know how Moylan will come back from TJ surgery..

Joe Smoe
03-28-2009, 12:55 PM
The real question is if we can get anything of value in return. Otherwise the braves won't let Anderson be placed on waivers because he will be picked up and will be given him away for free. So if we can throw in a BP arm to get a decent Mid teir 3B/MI prospect than I am all for it but I don't think anderson has that much value at all and would be interesting what the braves will do if not able to send him away on a trade. I can see that he will be the CF opening day if nothing comes across in a trade that is worth while and after a month or two when Schafer is called up and/or Blanco shows that he can produce as a everyday CFer he than will be trade bait.

I don't think in any trade at this point the braves are looking to add another MLer to the roster. The 25 man roster is pretty much set and this would be a trade to free up a roster spot and add prospects to a area that needs depth on the farm 3B/MI.

We will see...

Well yeah Anderson is just one of a few who maybe could be packaged. Although at the this point simply getting anything is a plus. We will have a great team in a few years, so trading for prospects to build on isnt such a bad thing either.

MrJones
03-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Oscar Villereal didn't turn into a stud, so like you guys said.. anything we get for JA is a plus... but I wouldn't really even mind if he was just plain cut.

jdolan74
03-28-2009, 06:47 PM
This might sound insane, but I say we should try and trade Josh Anderson and Manny Acosta to the Yankees for Brian Bruney. Because Schafer should be starting in Center. End of story.

The Yankees could utilize Anderson as a pinch runner and he would probably be a better guy to platoon in center with Melky Cabrera than Ben Gardner who can get more seasoning in the minors.

But if we could get a guy like Brian Bruney for our pen, that would be an amazing upgrade over Acosta and the Yankees have so many good arms in their pen, he is technically expendable. Plus, Acosta would benefit from countryman Mariano Rivera in many ways.

Mike Gonzalez, Rafael Soriano, Peter Moylan, Brian Bruney, Blaine Boyer, Boone Logan, Eric O'Flaherty

Of course, if we just cut Anderson, that's fine with me. We didn't give up much and I'd shed more tears watching Schafer tear it up in Gwinett than watching Anderson struggle.

CrippledRam
03-28-2009, 07:41 PM
In other news..,.Wily Mo Pena was put on waivers. He is making 2 mil this year. He will probably clear and go to AAA. Man if Diaz struggles, Wily would look great at the other half of the LF platoon. He struggled last year but has a career .447 slug and 121 ops+ (even with his .267, 34 ops+ last season)

Brawler47
03-28-2009, 09:22 PM

We will see...

I gotta agree but i am not convinced that our bullpen will be good enough if we get rid of someone right now. I was under the impression that we had extra starters. Let's put one of them in the package with JA to get a decent 3B prospect so we have someone with the oppurtunity to take over for Chipper.

BRAVE KID
03-29-2009, 12:28 AM
just keep schafer..just keep hitting, make my prediction come true.