PDA

View Full Version : Rosen On Basketball IQ

JayW_1023
03-27-2009, 10:38 AM
What do people consider Basketball IQ? What are the aspects of when a player knows and thinks the game well?

Charley Rosen has an interesting take on FOXSports.com

Straight shooting

Here's another in my never-ending series of lists. In fact, this just might be the mother of all lists.

The following players demonstrate the highest basketball IQ's in the league. Not to be confused with sheer talent, the qualifications for this category include:

- A player knowing his role, which means appreciating both his strengths and his weaknesses.

- Also, a player being aware that his role might change depending on the personnel of his team or the moment.

- Being cognizant of the game situation. Score. Time and timeouts. Team fouls and individual fouls. Matchups. Referees' favorite calls.

- Knowing both teams' respective game plans.

- Having his teammates and the opponents well scouted.
Seeing the floor and knowing who's where, plus who's supposed to be where, plus knowing who's likely to be where and when they'll get there

- Recognizing destinations when opposing players cut or drive.

- Getting the most out of their skills, no matter how bounteous or limited these might be.

Full article: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9381044/Lakers'-bench-must-step-up

Rosen may be a grumpy old chum, but nine times out of ten he makes valid points which I agree with. One of the few dead honest sports writers IMO.

Chronz
03-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Agreed, he just gets on my nerves with his bluntness

Lakersfan2483
03-27-2009, 04:49 PM
You have to love the honesty that Rosen provides in his articles.

LTS
03-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I read this and I think its pretty acurate