PDA

View Full Version : In what ways is sports advertising influential in manipulating audiences?

FWT
03-27-2009, 06:25 AM
I just need some general views on this question for a media studies college work. Please put up your opinion if you have the time...:)

Thank you.

NYstateofMinD
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Well when you see commercials with Superstars with little men, or anyone for that matter, they tell a story as to how they "made" it and usually it's a david & goliath type of story. That way you sympathize with them, and eventually you become a fan of theirs. Also, when you see someone so much on TV you usually see all the highlights and the positives this athlete has done, that you don't think about the negatives to their game. The better players that are not on commercials just don't get that attention for whatever reason, and are usually "underrated". This usually affects younger fans, and I can speak from experience when I saw all my friends jump the bandwagon as a child when the Knicks were terrible. Two commercials you can look up are, some of Allen Iverson's old reebok commercials, this one commercial with Lebron James starting of as a kid and through each step he took he advances in life (to hs, to the pros, etc.). You can look up some ESPN headlines on youtube and all you will see are Kobe and LeBron, and it is no coincidence they are the two most popular players.

jimbobjarree
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
check out the latest commercials they show..where will amazing happen, and oh look, there sone of Lebron, Kobe, Wade and CP3...hmm wow, so they must be the best players and teams right? Wheres one for the Spurs, Jazz, Magic, Nuggets and other small market teams, either not coming or always the last to be released, I swear they choose which players they want everyone to like.

I'm not taking anything away from those players though, they are all amazing, but where is the love for other playoff contenders you know

edit: on youtube I see one for the spurs and nuggs now, hasnt been on LP yet tho...wheres the Jazz love

FWT
04-03-2009, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the replys guys