PDA

View Full Version : Are the Orlando Magic a legit threat out East?

Lakersfan2483
03-26-2009, 04:57 PM
Are the Orlando Magic a legit threat out East? Howard has been impressive this year and has led his team to one of the top records. All of that said, can the Magic go to the finals? Why or why not?

*Howard should definitely win the Defensive Player of the Year, he's been shutting down the paint all year. He also should be higher in the MVP race.

Lakersfan2483
03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Note: Can a mod change the title? The title of the thread should say, "Are the Orlando Magic a legit threat out East?"

macc
03-26-2009, 05:25 PM
Ofcourse they are. They've beat San Antonio (Swept them) Boston (twice) (Cleveland 7 out of 10 times) Lakers (swept them). I mean what else do they have to prove? Who haven't they beaten? Will they win? Who knows, but noone can count them out. They play a west coast/half court style of basketball which is proven to win Championships.

I do agree that Howard should be higher in MVP voting. He does it on both ends of the floor night in and night out. Since he doesn't score 40 + on an average night his numbers don't look as sexy as a LJ, Kobe, or Wade. Nonetheless hes def a top MVP candidate. Last night against Boston with KG in the game he had a double/double by the end of the first quarter. Not many players, including the other MVP candidates can do that to often.

EX-TREME
03-26-2009, 05:33 PM
yes but media always find a excuse why they not will win a championship. i think you got to prove it in the playoffs.

and howard should be higher but howard should be focusing at the championship. he have plenty of time to win a mvp

madiaz3
03-26-2009, 05:42 PM
I think they were with Jameer. But without them they will be as good as the Pistons were last year.

LTS
03-26-2009, 06:35 PM
i wish they had nelson but Alston isnt a slouch I think it all depends on R. Lewis he shows up thye could be serious championship contenders

cmstophe
03-26-2009, 06:51 PM
Boston will beat them, but they are up and coming.

(Cleveland 7 out of 10 times)

Why do you go back to before this year just for Cleveland and not the other teams you list? When Cleveland is a totally different team this year?

superkegger
03-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Absolutely, they're a title contender. They're a very good team, and if the Celtics or Cavs dismiss them as serious contenders, they could be in trouble in a hurry.

FLeays
03-26-2009, 07:34 PM
[QUOTE=macc;8854706]Ofcourse they are. They've beat San Antonio (Swept them) Boston (twice) (Cleveland 7 out of 10 times) Lakers (swept them). I mean what else do they have to prove? Who haven't they beaten? Will they win? Who knows, but noone can count them out. They play a west coast/half court style of basketball which is proven to win Championships. QUOTE]

If the Magic play the Pistons in the 1st round it may very well be a short post season for the Magics. The Pistons have always given the Magic trouble and this year is no exception as the Pistons have won all 3 games them.

S.J.Basketball
03-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Of course they are.

xmoney328
03-26-2009, 07:39 PM
why not? they have a dominant center who plays on both side of the ball...great 3 point shooters...their a pretty good defensive team as well.

SteveNash
03-27-2009, 08:26 AM
No.

Can't run a half court offense.

Not a good defensive team.

Stan Van Gundy will get outcoached.

Weak mentally and physically.

Inexperience.

Hedo Turkoglu is their go to player in the 4th.

Steely McBeam
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
i think they are definitely a threat to come out of the east but i just don't see them taking the lakers in a 7 game series

hotdogbun
03-27-2009, 09:20 AM
magic > celtics

wwwhat
03-27-2009, 09:43 AM
No.

Inexperience.

What!? Not a good defensive team? Is that why they're second in defensive efficiency, only behind the Celtics? Or that they're the best defensive rebounding team in the league? And SVG is one of the best coaches in the league, I'd probably put him 3rd if I were to make a list (Phil Jackson and Mike Brown ahead of him). Of all the contenders, I'd say Boston has the best chance to get out-coached, I'm still not a big fan of Doc Rivers though he's got his players respect.

macc
03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
No.

Inexperience.

This has to be one of the worst posts I've ever seen. You're completely backwards on all your "facts" about them.

1. They're known for their half court offense. They're not an up tempo style type of team. Their offense starts in the half court and they work inside out with Dwight and then their 3 point shooters.

2. Bad defense? Are you serious? They are number 2 in the league in defense, Boston being number 1.

3. SVG is one of the best coaches in the league and a front runner for coach of the year. So once again, you thinking he'll be outcoached?

4. Tell Dwight Howard who is leading the NBA in blocks and Rebounds that he's weak mentally.

So ya, don't post in this forum again unless you actually know what you're talking about. K? K!

FLeays
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
It still won't matter if they face the Pistons in the first round. Look up past Piston and Magic games; playoffs and regular season. The Pistons have always had their number.

EX-TREME
03-27-2009, 11:44 AM
It still won't matter if they face the Pistons in the first round. Look up past Piston and Magic games; playoffs and regular season. The Pistons have always had their number.

well it depends if the bulls can stay at the 7th seed.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
No.

Inexperience.

Are you talking about the Magic? Or your PHX Suns?

illhoops
03-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Absolutely. The Magic are defintely a threat. Will be interesting come playoff time to see who comes out of the East. You definitely have to add Orlando in the conversation when mentioning Boston and Cleveland.

Follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/illhoops

SteveNash
03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
This has to be one of the worst posts I've ever seen. You're completely backwards on all your "facts" about them.

1. They're known for their half court offense. They're not an up tempo style type of team. Their offense starts in the half court and they work inside out with Dwight and then their 3 point shooters.

2. Bad defense? Are you serious? They are number 2 in the league in defense, Boston being number 1.

3. SVG is one of the best coaches in the league and a front runner for coach of the year. So once again, you thinking he'll be outcoached?

4. Tell Dwight Howard who is leading the NBA in blocks and Rebounds that he's weak mentally.

So ya, don't post in this forum again unless you actually know what you're talking about. K? K!

1. No they're not, they've gotten better in that area compared to last year, but they're not close to being considered a half court team.

2. Yeah and Dallas was a top 5 defensive team when they got beat by the Warriors :rolleyes: Orlando's defense will be exposed.

3. SVG is one of the best regular season coaches yes. And Coach of the year is a regular season award.

4. I was talking about the team, same thing with Kobe and the Lakers, you need more 1 or 2 tough players to win. Besides that Dwight whines a lot about not getting calls and disappears at times when he doesn't get the ball.

I'm not going to debate this, it's just the facts, you'll see in the playoffs.

I am not a Phoenix Suns fan.

CityofTreez
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Hell yeah! Who can guard Dwight Howard? When a team does guard Dwight Howard (Double-team) they leave open the deadliest starting five w/ 3-pointers. I was at the game where the magic hit 24 3-pointers in a game. I know it was the KINGS, but the KINGS double-teamed Howard and left open Lewis,Nelson (now Alston),Lee,Turkoglu,Redick. I think they are the hardest team to prepare for any given night in the NBA, I don't though because Lebron can break any defense apart if he is focused.

I know the Celtics are a physical team-but Howard is a physical phenom

Right as of now:

1) Cavaliers
2) Magic
3) Celtics

I think the Magic will seal up the 2nd spot and get home court advantage. Plus, Celtics got a weid lineup when the Big 3 are out. (Marbury,Big Baby, Moore, Scalabrine) Little too dysfunctional for me

*Superman*
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
No.

Inexperience.

:pity: Wow, just stop posting.

macc
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
1. No they're not, they've gotten better in that area compared to last year, but they're not close to being considered a half court team.

2. Yeah and Dallas was a top 5 defensive team when they got beat by the Warriors :rolleyes: Orlando's defense will be exposed.

3. SVG is one of the best regular season coaches yes. And Coach of the year is a regular season award.

4. I was talking about the team, same thing with Kobe and the Lakers, you need more 1 or 2 tough players to win. Besides that Dwight whines a lot about not getting calls and disappears at times when he doesn't get the ball.

I'm not going to debate this, it's just the facts, you'll see in the playoffs.

I am not a Phoenix Suns fan.

I can't believe I'm even quoting you right now because of how ignorant you sound.

1. If they're not a half court team, what type of offense do you think they run?

2. You said they had bad defense, I just had to show you up and tell you the "facts" that they are # 2 in the league in defense. What does Dallas have anything to do with this conversation?

3.I agree, SVG is a good coach, so are you saying he won't be able to coach in the playoffs? Didn't you see what he did with Miami in the little time he had them? Ya I think he did fine. If you don't know go watch some games, educate yourself before you say somthing that comes out your *****

4.Dwight whines alot? What player doesn't? Plus if you actually "watch" a Magic game you'll see how bad he gets beat up under the rim, you would prob say somthing to. Same thing Shaq rightfully complained about in his career.

You're not debating facts here, you're debating warrentless opinions you come up with in your small head. Once again, edcuate yourself on basketball, THEN post in these threads. K? K!

tdunk21
03-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Hell yeah! Who can guard Dwight Howard? When a team does guard Dwight Howard (Double-team) they leave open the deadliest starting five w/ 3-pointers. I was at the game where the magic hit 24 3-pointers in a game. I know it was the KINGS, but the KINGS double-teamed Howard and left open Lewis,Nelson (now Alston),Lee,Turkoglu,Redick. I think they are the hardest team to prepare for any given night in the NBA, I don't though because Lebron can break any defense apart if he is focused.

Right as of now:

1) Cavaliers
2) Magic
3) Celtics

I think the Magic will seal up the 2nd spot and get home court advantage. Plus, Celtics got a weid lineup when the Big 3 are out. (Marbury,Big Baby, Moore, Scalabrine) Little too dysfunctional for me

:laugh:

GspLAL
03-27-2009, 06:38 PM

owned and /thread.

cmoneytakemoney
03-27-2009, 07:03 PM
No. You live by the 3 you die by the 3. Teams like that never go too far in the playoffs.

Second City
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
They just better not play Detroit in the first round...

Kiss Ma Grits
03-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Orlando is a legit threat no doubt but I don't think they will come out of the east UNLESS they steal the number 1 seed away from cleveland. The road to the nba finals could be VERY tough for the magic if they end up drawing the Pistons in the first round ( the Pistons have won the last 8 of 9 meetings between the two) and face boston in round 2. That's exerting alot of energy before playing Cleveland. I could see Cleveland using up fouls against Dwight inorder to wear him down having the depth that they do.

GoatMilk
03-28-2009, 02:07 AM
no they're not
Boston is gonna beat them whether they have the HCA or not

BTownTeamsRKing
03-28-2009, 10:11 AM
they lack killer instinct.

both games they went up big on Boston when KG wasnt playing and came within one more shot of blowing each game.

As a Celtics fan, i fear Atlanta A LOT MORE. that team has heart.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Absolutely, they're a title contender. They're a very good team, and if the Celtics or Cavs dismiss them as serious contenders, they could be in trouble in a hurry.

When the Celtics and Cavs take it to the next level in the playoffs, orlando will be overwhelmed. These 2 teams know how to play in the playoffs. the magic do not.

whats all this Magic title talk about? they are contenders because they almost blew a 20 pt lead to Boston with Rondo or KG. or that they almost blew another 16 pt lead and got lucky an exhausted Pierce missed one more shot?

if the Magic think they can play at this level and beat Boston, they will be shocked when the real Celtics lockdown defense shows up in the playoffs. ask Kobe Bryant how he enjoyed that relentless physicality.

macc
03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
When the Celtics and Cavs take it to the next level in the playoffs, orlando will be overwhelmed. These 2 teams know how to play in the playoffs. the magic do not.

whats all this Magic title talk about? they are contenders because they almost blew a 20 pt lead to Boston with Rondo or KG. or that they almost blew another 16 pt lead and got lucky an exhausted Pierce missed one more shot?

if the Magic think they can play at this level and beat Boston, they will be shocked when the real Celtics lockdown defense shows up in the playoffs. ask Kobe Bryant how he enjoyed that relentless physicality.

Theres talk about title contention because they've beaten every big team in basketball this year. In head to head competition against all the other elite teams Orlando holds the best record by far. Whether they get to the finals or not is somthing we won't know until the playoffs start but at this point they should be in the discussion of contenders. They run a half court offense which is what you need to be contenders in the playoffs, they're # 2 in defense efficiency and they have Dwight Howard. No other team has a post presense that even compares to D12. You're just still bitter that Orlando beat Boston and Howard had a double double by the end of the first quarter w/ Garnett in the game. I understand Orlando isn't gonna get respect until they go deep into the playoffs, I just can't wait for them to start,. gonna be a good playoffs reguardless who wins.

chad78
03-28-2009, 10:42 AM
No.

Inexperience.

not a great defensive team you better look again before you just throw things out of your mouth they are one of the best defensive teams in the leauge not just the east the whole league.

chad78
03-28-2009, 10:45 AM

dude you are talking about the pistons but the pistons better worry about making the playoffs more than if they can take out the magic early or not because the way that i see it i dont think you have to worry about the pistons because they are not even going to make the playoffs.

DrDEADalready
03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
All I know is if the Jazz are out of the playoffs. I'm rooting for Magic all the way.

bostncelts34
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM

Right as of now:

1) Cavaliers
2) Magic
3) Celtics

The only reason the magic MIGHT get the 2 spot is because KG has missed almost 15 games..not to mention other key inuries. How they do they have a weird lineup when the big 3 are out? i dont even understand what they means. You rarely see all 3 sitting on the bench, and even if you did... itd be

Rondo/marbury
House
Walker
Powe/baby
Perkins/moore

yea, thats REAL dysfunctional lol

As for the question..Of course magic are a threat. They are a good team. However, i do think d12 is a little over rated on the defensive end. Yes, hes leading the league in blocks and rebounds..blah blah blah. BUT, everytime ive watched him, all his blocks are not on his man, he leaves his man to get a flashy block that he hits into the stands. Thus, giving the ball right back to the other team. But thats just my opinion.

Rondo>alston
Allen>Pietrus
Pierce>turkoglu
KG>lewis
perkins<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<howard

Celtics defense is #1 where orlando's is #2, so both great defenses.

I think bostons bench is a little bit betters though, but i could be mistaken. Dont know about ORL's bench to much.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Theres talk about title contention because they've beaten every big team in basketball this year. In head to head competition against all the other elite teams Orlando holds the best record by far. Whether they get to the finals or not is somthing we won't know until the playoffs start but at this point they should be in the discussion of contenders. They run a half court offense which is what you need to be contenders in the playoffs, they're # 2 in defense efficiency and they have Dwight Howard. No other team has a post presense that even compares to D12. You're just still bitter that Orlando beat Boston and Howard had a double double by the end of the first quarter w/ Garnett in the game. I understand Orlando isn't gonna get respect until they go deep into the playoffs, I just can't wait for them to start,. gonna be a good playoffs reguardless who wins.

they did beat the lakers twice, which isnt a small accomplishment. should be interesting. but count me on the side of writing them off

Sportfan
03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
yes they are. I wouldnt be surprised if they made it to the NBA finals

FLeays
03-28-2009, 11:39 AM
The only reason the magic MIGHT get the 2 spot is because KG has missed almost 15 games..not to mention other key inuries. How they do they have a weird lineup when the big 3 are out? i dont even understand what they means. You rarely see all 3 sitting on the bench, and even if you did... itd be

Injuries are apart of the sport, especially with older players, and the teams have to deal with it. If you want to argue that Boston currently sits at the 3rd seed because KG missed 15 games then what about Jameer missing almost half of the season with the Magic??

FLeays
03-28-2009, 12:32 PM
dude you are talking about the pistons but the pistons better worry about making the playoffs more than if they can take out the magic early or not because the way that i see it i dont think you have to worry about the pistons because they are not even going to make the playoffs.

It's very conceivable that the Magics can play the Pistons in the 1st Round. The Pistons are also in a better position to make the playoffs then the #9 seed Charlotte, who I believe are 3 games back of the final playoff spot with about 10 games to go.

Double check the standings and you'll see the 7th and 8th seed can go either way with the Pistons having 6 home games against 3 road games.

SteveNash
03-28-2009, 04:51 PM
not a great defensive team you better look again before you just throw things out of your mouth they are one of the best defensive teams in the leauge not just the east the whole league.

Here's a tip, when calling someone an idiot make sure you know the difference between your and you're.