PDA

View Full Version : Should Gillespie Be Fired??

lawson23
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
What do you think about Gillespie probably getting fired? Too soon? Also, I read on fleaflickersports.com that Anthony Grant is close to getting Bama job. Your thoughts?

Catfish1314
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Should he be fired? No, not in my opinion. Kentucky had two very good players this year in Meeks and Patterson but they were fairly weak everywhere else. Perry Stevenson looked very promising to me last year, but he looked very inconsistent this season. He's not, however, the amazing coach a lot of Kentucky fans think he is. Most of those who said that last season are probably coming to realize now how inaccurate that assessment was.

As for Anthony Grant, I'd love to see him back in the SEC. He was an assistant on Florida's 06 Championship team and he's a very underrated coach. Would be a great choice for Alabama or Georgia.

Sport
03-26-2009, 01:24 PM
I hope Anthony Grant goes to Bama, cuz than that will stop the Tubby to Bama talks.

sdweston757
03-26-2009, 04:37 PM
i feel bad for vcu.. they get these coaches who turn out to be outstanding and just roll to the big time programs. first jeff capel now anthony grant

cardinals1226
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
i feel bad for vcu.. they get these coaches who turn out to be outstanding and just roll to the big time programs. first jeff capel now anthony grant

That can be said about alot of small schools. Butler lost Todd Lickliter to Iowa and Thad Matta to Xavier and now Ohio State. It's what happens when you have a successful team.

Sport
03-26-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, the plus side of that is, as long as that keeps happening, VCU knows that they have a successful program. But, your right, a continuity would be nice to have.

metsfreak
03-27-2009, 02:57 AM
I myself would say NO that the guy needs another few years BUT, Kentucky doesn't take to kindly to losing in basketball. If he does get another season he will likely be without Patterson and Meeks so he will have his work cut out for him. It may be better for him to get the axe or step down this year.

YankeePride13
03-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Kentucky alumni, fans, and administrators are out of their freaking mind.

EVERY program goes through down years, give the guy a chance to get his recruits in and see what he can do. They ran Tubby out of town mistakenly and now they'll run Billy out of town mistakenly as well..

noturnormalhero
03-27-2009, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't pull the plug just yet if i was Kentucky. He needs a few more years. Like someone stated, teams are bound to go through downfalls. Look at Tennessee women this year as an example. First time in 27 years it's happened. Kentucky is a solid program with fan support and alumni and fans can't panic just yet. I think they'll bounce back soon enough.

MilfHunter07
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
i think every coach needs at least 4-5 years at a job before being fired

kvrnm
03-27-2009, 12:43 PM
he needs more of a chance, give him a couple years

Sport
03-27-2009, 02:32 PM
i think every coach needs at least 4-5 years at a job before being fired

Especially in college. It takes a few years alone just to get your own recruits and start playing 'your' style of basketball.

I hate it when coaches get the premature axe in college.

jetsfan89
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
well, he got fired. big mistake imo.

Sport
03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
well, he got fired. big mistake imo.

I feel the same way. Like Doug Gottlieb said, they need to hit a homerun with their next hire.

Lincecum55
03-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I think he deserved a couple more years. But that doesn't matter now.

Hopefully, we can hold on to Daniel Orton and Jon Hood.