PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Lincoln star Lance Stephenson leaning toward Kansas over St. John's

METS4LIFE1988
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Lincoln High School star Lance Stephenson hasn't announced his college intentions yet, but sources say that, while St. John's is still in the mix, the Coney Island product is leaning heavily toward Kansas.

Stephenson will announce his decision on Tuesday or Wednesday at the McDonald's All-American Game in Miami, where he's expected to choose between Maryland, St. John's and Kansas.

The 6-6 205-pound guard officially visited Kansas last month and Maryland in January. Stephenson, who led Lincoln to its fourth straight PSAL title last Saturday, has yet to take an official visit to St. John's, and it's highly unlikely he'll do so before he announces his decision.

The Railsplitters play Rice in the 'AA' state Federation semifinals on Saturday in Glens Falls.

Still, a St. John's source believes that the Johnnies have a "50-50" chance at landing the 18-year-old Stephenson.

Kansas assistant Danny Manning was the last coach to visit Stephenson at Lincoln, stopping by practice before the Railsplitters faced Boys & Girls in the PSAL semifinals on March 15. Manning and SJU coach Norm Roberts were at the semifinal at St. John's, and Red Storm staffers were at the 'AA' title game last Saturday.

Stephenson had been telling reporters for months that he would announce his college commitment at Madison Square Garden after the PSAL championship game. But the senior changed his mind shortly after the Kansas visit, and someone from Stephenson's camp contacted a Garden official to say he would not be making an announcement after the title game. Stephenson told reporters on March 18 that he had decided on a school and planned to make an announcement at the McDonald's All-American Game.

If Stephenson was going to announce a commitment to St. John's, letting the word out at the Garden last Saturday "would have been the opportune time to do it," a Stephenson confidant said.

Stephenson recently told reporters that he would be picking a college based on the program's ability to win a national championship. Kansas, the defending national champion, will play Michigan State tomorrow in the Sweet 16 in Indianapolis.

St. John's lost to the University of Richmond in the first round of the College Basketball Invitational last Wednesday. It was the program's first postseason appearance since it won the NIT in 2003, a title vacated because of recruiting violations committed under then-coach Mike Jarvis.

"It appears (Kansas coach) Bill (Self) has one up on Norm," a source said Wednesday. The source would be "shocked" if Stephenson chose Maryland over Kansas and St. John's.

Maryland officials, however, said last week that they believe they are still in the Stephenson sweepstakes.

Stephenson's father said earlier this month that his son has taken the SAT and would be academically eligible to play in college next season. He was not available for comment Wednesday.

When reached by phone, Lincoln coach Dwayne Morton remained tight-lipped regarding Stephenson's plans Wednesday, saying he knew "absolutely nothing" about the star's decision.

Some believe Stephenson, who broke former Lincoln star Sebastian Telfair's state high school scoring record of 2,785 career points last month, would follow prep star Brandon Jennings' path and play in Europe next season before entering the NBA Draft. But while officials from European teams believe Stephenson has the talent to compete in Europe, a Stephenson source said the officials question whether he has the maturity to handle living in another country.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high_school/2009/03/26/2009-03-26_sources_lincoln_star_lance_stephenson_le.html

**** my life. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Pick the Johnnies Stephenson. :pray:

Sport
03-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Seems like a logical choice, really.

METS4LIFE1988
03-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Seems like a logical choice, really.

I know. :(

Norm Roberts needs to go! Johnnies need to hire Calapari now.

Sport
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
I know. :(

Norm Roberts needs to go! Johnnies need to hire Calapari now.

I remember watching SJU a few years back when they had Erick Barkley. That a fun team to watch.

METS4LIFE1988
03-26-2009, 02:46 PM
I remember watching SJU a few years back when they had Erick Barkley. That a fun team to watch.

To bad they ****ing suck now. :(

Sport
03-26-2009, 03:19 PM
To bad they ****ing suck now. :(

lol, it happens. I am a Golden Gopher fan, so I know all about sucking. Things seem to be turning around now, though.

noturnormalhero
03-27-2009, 11:41 AM
That would be a big blow. St. Johns is in need of a big time player to give that program some light/hope/exposure. They are a few players away from being a good team. This would set them back.

METS4LIFE1988
03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
That would be a big blow. St. Johns is in need of a big time player to give that program some light/hope/exposure. They are a few players away from being a good team. This would set them back.

It's sad how we can't get any Super Star Player from NY to commit to St. Johns. :mad:

noturnormalhero
03-27-2009, 12:29 PM
It's sad how we can't get any Super Star Player from NY to commit to St. Johns. :mad:

I agree. Even Stephen A Smith said the same thing on ESPN not too long ago. St. Johns should be able to get some better local talent in that area and just don't. :pity:

METS4LIFE1988
03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree. Even Stephen A Smith said the same thing on ESPN not too long ago. St. Johns should be able to get some better local talent in that area and just don't. :pity:

It's starts with Norm Roberts. If he doesn't get Lance stepheson he should be fired.

I heard Calapari is interested in St. Johns but they don't wanna pay him 2 million a year. Give the man 2 ****ing million dollars. Dude is probably the best recruiting coach in the country. :(

MilfHunter07
03-27-2009, 01:46 PM
i doubt calipari would go from memphis to st johns

noturnormalhero
03-27-2009, 01:51 PM
It's starts with Norm Roberts. If he doesn't get Lance stepheson he should be fired.

I heard Calapari is interested in St. Johns but they don't wanna pay him 2 million a year. Give the man 2 ****ing million dollars. Dude is probably the best recruiting coach in the country. :(

With that recruiting class for next year and the weak conference he's in, no way he goes anywhere next year. Not to mention, if they end up getting John Wall, they'd be that much better. Can't see it happening.

Sport
03-27-2009, 02:29 PM
i doubt calipari would go from memphis to st johns

You'd be suprised. Some coaches like the challenge of going to a struggling university and turning it around. St.Johns has potential to be a hot spot for top recruits, they just need 'that' coach.

I don't know what Calipari's mind set is as far as looking at other jobs, but I've heard his name in other vacant jobs as well.

NYYCowboys
03-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Forget giving Callapari 2 mil let's just give stephenson a couple hundred thousand to play for St. John's. I don't get why he would want to play in bum-**** kansas over NY where he's from. With the knicks being so bad if chose St. John's' and they made the tournament next year he would be a star.

Sport
03-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Forget giving Callapari 2 mil let's just give stephenson a couple hundred thousand to play for St. John's. I don't get why he would want to play in bum-**** kansas over NY where he's from. With the knicks being so bad if chose St. John's' and they made the tournament next year he would be a star.

Ummm, Kansas>St.Johns.:confused:

Kansas would give him a chance to be in the big dance and win a championship.

St.Johns would give him the oppurtunity to play close to home and..... well, that's about it.

MilfHunter07
03-27-2009, 05:50 PM

think about this logically, in order to better your basketball career, where would you go, kansas or st johns?